Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

You realize that the other eight school not named UT or OU gave up its Tier 3 rights for next to nothing when the conference agreed to its deal with ESPN and ESPN+ a few years ago to broadcast Big 12 conference championship games. 

Yup. Don’t really care, honestly. What good is the extra money Nebraska or Mizzou gets doing them compared to schools like ISU, KSU, OK State, etc?

The law of diminishing returns is absolutely in effect with these payouts.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Houtexjhawk said:

Stability

This talking point "stability" works for the conference that has won 12 of the last 20 college football titles...
https://worldpopulationreview.com/en/state-rankings/whitest-states
This probably can also (as far as athletics) be the end result of regions dense in athletes to recruit as well...

--

Apr 27, 2021 — Several states in the South and Mountain West will gain more seats ... South and West to Gain Power in House of Representatives, Expected to Favor ... Texas, with its growing population, will gain two more seats in Congress.

May 21, 2020 — The South leads the way with 10 of the top 15 fastest-growing large U.S. cities, according to new population estimates for cities and towns.

---

If college football is squeezed to a point of regionalism, the stability favors regions with population growth...

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Let me know when most leagues start making deals, 4 years before a contract is up...

At this rate B1G is 2 years overdue (kidding) I think XII should look at expansion now...

expansion does not do shit for the Big 12 the math is very simple

the Big 12 TV deal is paying about $21 million this year per team because it is moving into the later years of the contract so that means for the Big 12 to pay out $37 million on average per team the Big 12 earned $16+ million on average in non-TV money

none of the shit currently available to the Big 12 brings a damn dime of that $16 million over and above TV money so adding teams is a net money loser no matter what

in addition ESPN just signed a deal with the AAC that averages $7 million per year per team over TWELVE FUCKING YEARS so it will not be paying $7 million for another 6+ years......in addition it is a known fact that ESPN offered slightly more money if the AAC had a GOR in place for the contract and the AAC teams were too dumb to do so

anyone with a brain would ask themselves why ESPN would go from thinking that some teams they are paying an average of $7 million over 12 years would suddenly be worth $21 million or more per year much less worth $21 million per year PLUS additional money to make up for the $16 million in other conference money that those teams will contribute almost nothing to.....all the more so why they would be thinking that when they were perfectly happy to pay a bit more to lock those teams in with a GOR for 12 years........which tells you they have no desire or intention to come close to paying those teams $21 million per year or $37 million per year or more......because they did not give two shits less than a year ago about locking those teams down for 12 years 

and "media markets" and "conference networks" mean jack shit at this point with pay TV subs down over 30 million and projected to go down another 20 million over the next few years (and those projections have always been wildly LOW) and with pay TV MSOs dumping the BTN and pushing back against channel cramming more than ever the chance to get a conference network that brings in big new money is fading faster than ever.......much less thinking that adding any of the available G5 teams would help that much at all

the reality is in the past ESPN did in fact renegotiate with the Big 12 3 years early on the contract that was set to expire in 2015-16 and instead renegotiated it in Sept. of 2012 and gave about $40 million per year in new money over the existing contract and that was with 2 less teams and no CCG compared to the old contract

but the other reality is ESPN had everyone else locked up for the long term and only needed to slightly tweak the AAC contract for adding a few new teams there....things are much different now with the Big 10 coming up in a couple of years and then the PAC 12 after that and then the Big 12 plus all the covid shit plus ESPN waking up to the fact that people do not want to pay the prices they think they are worth which is why there is so much cord cutting and resistance to channel cramming

and greg flemguar has always been a total cock sucking chode.....the FACTS are the Big 12 has gotten a great deal of what they wanted......the Big 12 got the contract renewal mentioned above 3 years early......the Big 12 got the slot in the Sugar Bowl playing the SEC SEC SEC for the same $40 million per year that a 14 team SEC SEC SEC gets.....while the ACC got $27.5 million for The Orange Bowl and they play the SECOND PLACE team from either the SEC SEC SEC or Big 10 after the SEC SEC SEC and Big 10 fill a playoff slot if they have one and after they fill The Rose Bowl and The Sugar Bowl......and that is a 14 team ACC getting $27.5 million to play a lesser opponent

the Big 12 got it in their contract for more money to add back a CCG if the rules changed to allow one with 10 teams

so there is nothing at all that and dickhead with a twitter account that has a fucking clue can point to and say "well the Big 12 did not get that"

the best thing the Big 12 can do is tell their presidents and ADs to shut the fuck up and stop talking about this shit and get a fucking unified front and make sure to get the clear facts out there instead of giving these twitter losers that have never been right about shit more dumb ass shit to tweet about

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sportsbay said:

Tech is upset over the Beard deal.  If he wasn't a Texas alumn, I doubt he would be here.  They need to not hire Texas alumns and get over it.  Somone needs to call Lubbock and tell them to shut up or else.

I don't think it has anything to do with that

the Tech president when he took the job said he was a bit hesitant to take it because he does not enjoy public speaking or large group meetings and that type of thing.....so it is a bit of a surprise to see him being the one to comment on it.....Gordon Gee on the other hand loves to talk especially he has been hitting the bong in the university presidents house so it is no surprise to hear him talking about this

more than likely what happened is the Lubbock media knew there was a meeting with the two other Big 12 presidents and things are slow in Lubbock for sports right now and of course twittertards are tarding and someone from the Lubbock newspaper got a minute with the Tech president and ask him some leading questions and he talked a bit more than he should have.....he is a good speaker when he gets comfortable so he probably was really not thinking how it would be reported as soon as the words left his mouth he was just saying what is going on....add in change at the PAC 12 and you get media idiots that want some dumb shit to grab headlines with even if it is shitty for those they are talking to....in fact the media generally likes shitty these days  

the Big 12 needs to have a training course in how to shut the fuck up especially if you are on some "fact finding" committee and they perhaps need to get Bowlsby to talk less shit about the future of all college athletics and get his ass out there to put out a consistent positive message for the conference

Not directly related, but this just happened:

Amazon buys MGM in a mega media deal

Amazon (AMZN) is investing even more heavily in growing its position in the entertainment world. The company announced Wednesday that it made a deal to acquire MGM, the home of James Bond and one of the most iconic movie studios in Hollywood.

The deal, which is valued at $8.45 billion, gives Amazon an extensive library of film and TV shows that it can use to fill out its Prime Video content coffers. MGM has a catalog with more than 4,000 films and 17,000 TV shows, according to Mike Hopkins, who heads Prime Video and Amazon Studios.

Granted, while James Bond is probably the biggest property to come out of this, Amazon is starting to buy up content and has the cash to not stop.   They paid $1B for just the Thursday night NFL games.

On a side note, the new Pac12 Commish came from MGM.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

BTW, has Flugaur ever had an actual insider scoop prove correct?  Or is he just another Twitter phony?  

It's been so long that I don't recall his track record, other than some misses.

Nothing, ever.   He's the same as Yoda, the Dude, and the others.   Rile everyone up with I know people.

Not a shock that the partners wouldn't want to start negotiating now.   Everyone wants to see how the next couple years play out and ESPN has invested heavily in the SEC.   They'll want to make a run at the B1G who goes to bid 2 years prior.   That is the deal every media entity is waiting on and the chips will fall after.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

BTW, has Flugaur ever had an actual insider scoop prove correct?  Or is he just another Twitter phony?  

It's been so long that I don't recall his track record, other than some misses.

he pretends he is some "Big 10 insider", but I don't remember him ever really saying shit about the Big 10 and I don't remember him knowing shit about anything major happening with the Big 10

his bullshit seems to center around being a "Big 10 insider" that gets all kinds of information from his "Big 10 connections and sources" about what is going on with all the other conferences besides the Big 10

he it a total fucking idiot....UH fans used to hang on his every word, but even they figured out he was a dumb shit after the Big 12 left the AAC and 20+ other G5 schools standing around holding their dicks and folders full of trivial information.....and if UH fans can figure out he is a dumb shit well hell what does that tell you

• 2 weeks later...

The Boise thing never made sense the travel is terrible and it would wreck their other sports even just putting them in some western conference (and apparently none wanted them anyway)

Boise MIGHT have gotten away with their football being stretched out like that, but no other team wanted that "action" with them especially knowing no other conference would want their Olympic sports

Boise without 3 other teams would have been a long term disaster for them and there is a good chance the MWC would have taken the opportunity to say "pass eat shit see you in D1-AA like Idaho" if Boise had decided to try and come back

The AAC needs to come to grips with the fact that they are either going to play an unbalanced schedule with 11 teams or they are going to add some other G5 school from the east coast

16 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

The Boise thing never made sense the travel is terrible and it would wreck their other sports even just putting them in some western conference (and apparently none wanted them anyway)

Boise MIGHT have gotten away with their football being stretched out like that, but no other team wanted that "action" with them especially knowing no other conference would want their Olympic sports

Boise without 3 other teams would have been a long term disaster for them and there is a good chance the MWC would have taken the opportunity to say "pass eat shit see you in D1-AA like Idaho" if Boise had decided to try and come back

The AAC needs to come to grips with the fact that they are either going to play an unbalanced schedule with 11 teams or they are going to add some other G5 school from the east coast

yeah-- the Dodd tweet is weird in that it implies COVID had any fucking thing to do with the AAC doing the math and realizing "nah fuck this". 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah-- the Dodd tweet is weird in that it implies COVID had any fucking thing to do with the AAC doing the math and realizing "nah fuck this". 

I think more than likely Boise was just as hesitant

the AAC deal is for 12 years $7 million on average so that is a long time to scale to average and then above average...the MWC deal is for not as much money, but it is only 6 years so that additional 6 years for the AAC is a long time for the MWC to possibly get a newer better deal down the road

Boise has unsubsidized athletics revenues that are only behind Cincy, UConn, and UCF.....that $4 million or so in extra revenue is a long time down the road if you start looking at exit fees, other cost, new travel expenses and the like and you are locked into a "ling deal" in terms of media rights, but a very very short amount of time in terms of conference affiliation

if that deal drops down and is less 12 years from now well Boise is still there in the AAC or if the MWC gets a better deal in 6 years well Boise is still there in the AAC

plus the AAC is under this impression that they are "undervalued" or that ESPN really is chomping at the bit to pay all the members more money for adding a couple of "top' G5 teams to cement that mythical P6 helmet sticker hype.....ESPN does not give a fuck especially right now and they are looking at most to pay the same money to any new AAC member as the current ones they are not going to bump up all the other 11 teams for landing "the leader of the G5 programs.

plus no other team is willing to move with Boise I think most would prefer Boise to move alone and end up eating shit and they can capitalize on that in the win loss category

"props" to Boise for looking to make moves and to make things happen, but I think they are just as likely to be the ones that said "not sure not worth the risk for almost no meaningful reward"

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

COVID is probably going to get the CFP expansion done faster.  There's less reason for the AAC to push for growing into a "power" conference, via expansion, if they feel secure that they'll consistently have the G5 spot in an expanded playoff with status quo.  

4 hours ago, camel at sea said:

COVID is probably going to get the CFP expansion done faster.  There's less reason for the AAC to push for growing into a "power" conference, via expansion, if they feel secure that they'll consistently have the G5 spot in an expanded playoff with status quo.  

that's a reach when there's a much simpler, obvious reason

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I can't see any reason there would be further P5 realignment if that came to pass.  

only thing would be if the gap between the SEC/BiG becomes as wide as the pacific ocean in revenue compared to the Big12.  But I don't think it will be that wide, and the conference may want to re-look at the way it schedules conference games.  This may be the time to go down to 8 conference games and make 2 divisions.  If the talk of 12 team playoffs is true, the conference has to do it's best to get 2 teams into it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

only thing would be if the gap between the SEC/BiG becomes as wide as the pacific ocean in revenue compared to the Big12.  But I don't think it will be that wide, and the conference may want to re-look at the way it schedules conference games.  This may be the time to go down to 8 conference games and make 2 divisions.  If the talk of 12 team playoffs is true, the conference has to do it's best to get 2 teams into it.

That extra revenue is really getting shit done for Nebraska, Aggy, and Mizzou.

2 hours ago, n64ra said:

I'm okay with 12, but this comment makes no sense to me.

the basic thought is automatic bids for the five major conferences — which also juices up their league title games as play-in games

I think it really makes most conference championship games pointless. In our league in particular, you gotta think that the top two teams would already have a spot in a 12 team playoff, especially if its TX v OU. I mean even ISU was a top 10 team last year entering the CCG and would have almost certainly made the 12 team field even losing to OU, and an OU loss probably wouldn't even drop them in seeding. The only real "play-in" scenario would be in other leagues if one of the divisions is weak and the division winner is like 7-5 or something, then yeah they could play their way in with a win.

I really wish they could find a way to make the conference championship games essentially the first round of a national playoff. The five P5 champs plus the three highest ranked G-5 champs. Make ND eligible for the ACC title game, or fuck them, I don't really care, and am sick of them always coming up as an impediment to a playoff system that relies on conference championships. Same goes for BYU, find a conference, or GTFO. 

Edited by 'stache

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I really wish they could find a way to make the conference championship games essentially the first round of a national playoff. The five P5 champs plus the three highest ranked G-5 champs. Make ND eligible for the ACC title game, or fuck them, I don't really care, and am sick of them always coming up as an impediment to a playoff system that relies on conference championships. Same goes for BYU, find a conference, or GTFO. 

This.  Fuck the ND and BYU snowflakes if they don't want to play along with everybody else.  

Five P5s and 3 best G-5 champs.  Would have taken care of the vast majority of controversy over the last 20 years.

13 hours ago, camel at sea said:

There's less reason for the AAC to push for growing into a "power" conference, via expansion, if they feel secure that they'll consistently have the G5 spot in an expanded playoff with status quo.  

It could stabilize the conferences quite a bit if they know they get their champ (and maybe an additional team) in no matter what.

Shit, somebody at aggy is probably pitching the idea that they should move to a G5 conference so they have a shot at getting into the playoffs.  Of course, somebody else is asking them "yeah, but what if we can't win in a G5 conference?"

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It could stabilize the conferences quite a bit if they know they get their champ (and maybe an additional team) in no matter what.

Shit, somebody at aggy is probably pitching the idea that they should move to a G5 conference so they have a shot at getting into the playoffs.  Of course, somebody else is asking them "yeah, but what if we can't win in a G5 conference?"

Yeah, but they can't take credit for Bama's accomplishments in a G5 league.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mean, just add ND to one of the ACC divisions, have them play everyone in that division, and they have 5 extra games to do whatever they want with (USC, Navy, Michigan, etc). As long as they play everyone in one division, there can't be any unfairness with the end result. Have them switch divisions every year or two if you want them to play everybody. They are already treated like special snowflakes within the ACC, just make it official. I'm not even all that against BYU joining a Big 12 North division if we can bring along a strong 12th, I'm just not seeing a very good candidate (Boise doesn't count, I'd rather give Colorado State a chance, and that would be a pretty big stretch). 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

If everyone is getting into the playoffs I'd have no issue with BYU and Colorado State being in the league.

Personally, I think even the Big 12 payouts are probably bordering on "law of diminishing returns" kind of cash and fans bragging about how much money their school makes while their team sucks is the dumbest flex I've ever seen in sports.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If everyone is getting into the playoffs I'd have no issue with BYU and Colorado State being in the league.

Personally, I think even the Big 12 payouts are probably bordering on "law of diminishing returns" kind of cash and fans bragging about how much money their school makes while their team sucks is the dumbest flex I've ever seen in sports.

An 8 team playoff (after CCGs) would also add a ton of money for everyone which would close the gap a bit. I agree, I don't think there is much if anything lost per school by adding BYU and even CSU, and if there is, the numbers are still so ridiculously high I really don't care if were a little behind the SEC (it's just reality that they care a whole lot more down there than other places). Alternatively, I like Memphis + Louisville (if they would join) or Cincy, assuming Memphis could upgrade or replace their stadium with the move to a better conference. It would make basketball a long of fun too.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

The pie gets cut drastically when you divide by a larger denominator and add little or nothing to the numerator.  Small conference, 2 divisions, less conference games, more fcs home games equals more money per school and a higher winning % for the conference overall.  This will get 2 teams in the playoff every year, maybe 3.

Moving up makes a school's numerator much higher simply by moving up. I imagine interest in Memphis football would increase dramatically if they are regularly playing OU, UT, WVU, etc., on a regular basis, instead of Tulane and East Carolina. Not to mention their basketball contribution given the ability to play KU and the other Big12 teams instead of what has become a pretty darn weak basketball conference in the AAC. And if you look west, as annoying as BYU is, they draw ratings, and would increase with Big 12 competition.

Edited by 'stache

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This.  Fuck the ND and BYU snowflakes if they don't want to play along with everybody else.  

Five P5s and 3 best G-5 champs.  Would have taken care of the vast majority of controversy over the last 20 years.

G-5 as in the MWC, Conf USA, WAC, etc?  No.  1 auto bid for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You lost me here, but I agree with your concept that if we're getting diminishing returns on regular season as the post season ramps up the value, then grabbing two more to get more in negates some of that diminishment.

However, if you're just grabbing two, pick from an AAC school between you and WVU first, why make travel harder.   Cinci, Memphis, Tulane, or, dare I say:

Why the SEC hasn’t been right for Arkansas, and why the Big 12 would be better for Razorbacks fans (pay site)

Arkansas in the Big 12? Be Careful What You Wish For.

If returns are diminished and if its easier to make it into the playoff with 12, those two spots will be important again.   Because it gets a little harder to get in with 14, two more mouths to feed, two more teams to have to prove they belong in the mix.  Assuming the SEC/B1G always get 2 in and the Big12/ACC/P12 average around 1.5, that means the percent to make the playoffs is:

SEC/B1G: 14.2%

Big 12: 15%

P12: 12.5%

ACC: 10%

If the Big 12 expanded to 12 and moved to 2 from 1.5, they'd have a 16.7% chance and if the move came from a SEC/B1G team, their odds would increase too.

What the Big 12 has to sell isn't necessarily more money, but it could be more opportunity to break through.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

You lost me here, but I agree with your concept that if we're getting diminishing returns on regular season as the post season ramps up the value, then grabbing two more to get more in negates some of that diminishment.

However, if you're just grabbing two, pick from an AAC school between you and WVU first, why make travel harder.   Cinci, Memphis, Tulane, or, dare I say:

Why the SEC hasn’t been right for Arkansas, and why the Big 12 would be better for Razorbacks fans (pay site)

Arkansas in the Big 12? Be Careful What You Wish For.

If returns are diminished and if its easier to make it into the playoff with 12, those two spots will be important again.   Because it gets a little harder to get in with 14, two more mouths to feed, two more teams to have to prove they belong in the mix.  Assuming the SEC/B1G always get 2 in and the Big12/ACC/P12 average around 1.5, that means the percent to make the playoffs is:

SEC/B1G: 14.2%

Big 12: 15%

P12: 12.5%

ACC: 10%

If the Big 12 expanded to 12 and moved to 2 from 1.5, they'd have a 16.7% chance and if the move came from a SEC/B1G team, their odds would increase too.

What the Big 12 has to sell isn't necessarily more money, but it could be more opportunity to break through.

Yeah.  If you're (let's say) Arky and Mizzou and you see an expanded playoff... don't you think you could actually be in it occasionally if you're in the Big 12?  Going to 12 means you don't have to even beat OU.  

On the other end of that... why would "the other 8" in the Big 12 want to add competition to make the CFP to their own league?  Is adding Arky/Mizzou worth the price of competing against them?  If you're a SWC ex, maybe that's a trade off you don't mind.  Same with the Big 8 exes and Mizzou.  It might help the home slate look more appealing to some of those fanbases year over year.  They both probably make Big 12 basketball a lot more fun.  I don't know though.  

5 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  If you're (let's say) Arky and Mizzou and you see an expanded playoff... don't you think you could actually be in it occasionally if you're in the Big 12?  Going to 12 means you don't have to even beat OU.  

On the other end of that... why would "the other 8" in the Big 12 want to add competition to make the CFP to their own league?  Is adding Arky/Mizzou worth the price of competing against them?  If you're a SWC ex, maybe that's a trade off you don't mind.  Same with the Big 8 exes and Mizzou.  It might help the home slate look more appealing to some of those fanbases year over year.  They both probably make Big 12 basketball a lot more fun.  I don't know though.  

Dream scenario would be add Arky, and welcome back Mizzou and Nebraska. WVU can go ACC or SEC. ND joins an ACC division. Big 10 can admit that Rutgers was a mistake and they're back to 12. ACC might get a little bloated, but there are some programs they could shed, or they could just embrace being a larger conference. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Dream scenario would be add Arky, and welcome back Mizzou and Nebraska. WVU can go ACC or SEC. ND joins an ACC division. Big 10 can admit that Rutgers was a mistake and they're back to 12. ACC might get a little bloated, but there are some programs they could shed, or they could just embrace being a larger conference. 

Arky and Mizzou to the Big 12.  Then if Nebraska follows along sometime after, the B1G can back-fill with Cincinnati or an ACC school.  Maybe if the B1G grabs an ACC school, we surrender WVU at that point.

North:  OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, NU
South:  UT, TTU, MU, TCU, BU, Arky

I would enjoy something that ends up looking like this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah, totally agree here.   You'd have to get something better because, at the moment, the Ohio State/Michigan/PedState/Bama/Georgia/LSU/Floridas of the world are keeping down several high revenue schools who just are not going to sniff a championship in their own conference, let alone a natty.   Why let them be competitive?   All the exposure comes from participating in the end game any more.   Has Iowa State ever had so much attention as last year?   Or how about the TCU/Baylor scuffle year?  That's worth far more than most value.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, totally agree here.   You'd have to get something better because, at the moment, the Ohio State/Michigan/PedState/Bama/Georgia/LSU/Floridas of the world are keeping down several high revenue schools who just are not going to sniff a championship in their own conference, let alone a natty.   Why let them be competitive?   All the exposure comes from participating in the end game any more.   Has Iowa State ever had so much attention as last year?   Or how about the TCU/Baylor scuffle year?  That's worth far more than most value.

I think at the end of the day, if adding those two somehow became an option for the Big 12, everyone would decide that the extra competition for end-ofo-season exposure is worth what you get in return.  But yeah, it's not a total no-brainer.  Most of the Big 12's ex-SWC schools and their donors would be stoked to have Arkansas back on the schedule regularly.  I don't think Mizzou has the same juice with the Big 8 schools but the Big 8 schools would probably be for it, for the most part.

Adding those two would also improve our Tier 1 football content.  CBS can see Texas-Arkansas or Oklahoma-Arkansas.  So that's a factor, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I think at the end of the day, if adding those two somehow became an option for the Big 12, everyone would decide that the extra competition for end-ofo-season exposure is worth what you get in return.  But yeah, it's not a total no-brainer.  Most of the Big 12's ex-SWC schools and their donors would be stoked to have Arkansas back on the schedule regularly.  I don't think Mizzou has the same juice with the Big 8 schools but the Big 8 schools would probably be for it, for the most part.

Adding those two would also improve our Tier 1 football content.  CBS can see Texas-Arkansas or Oklahoma-Arkansas.  So that's a factor, too.

My family/friends in Oklahoma would love to have Arky in the Big 12 as well - it's an easy road trip obviously, but with Arkansas being right there, there's plenty of Arkies living in Oklahoma, and plenty of Okies living there.  When we used to travel between North Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas to visit various relatives, we always saw Okie license plates in Arkansas and Arky plates in Oklahoma.

2 hours ago, camel at sea said:

On the other end of that... why would "the other 8" in the Big 12 want to add competition to make the CFP to their own league?    

This brings up an interesting issue and could pretty much lock the conferences in to the P5 teams they already have.  Everybody wants an easier path to the CFP, not harder.  

A 12-team playoff is an easier path to the CFP.  Adding teams that could present threats to existing teams is a harder path.

Right now, a 1-loss B12, B1G, or SEC team will probably get in to a 12-team CFP, and there's plenty of teams in those conferences that could see themselves as being that 1-loss team.   A lot of teams - hell, half the teams (or more) in each of those conferences can imagine that scenario.

Even mid-tier teams like aggy think they are always just a year away from being a 1-loss SEC team at the end of the season.

I think you'd see conferences be extremely wary of adding anybody who presents even an occasional threat.  

2 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I'm not sure Arky or Mizzou are viable long term threats for ou and hopefully Texas.  This should be a two team conference.  Now, what I could see happening is the decision makers say "all conferences must have at least 12 teams" to settle the conference imbalance.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

and fans bragging about how much money their school makes while their team sucks is the dumbest flex I've ever seen in sports.

Especially when the money reaches a point where it's no longer "how can we make the team better with this money" to "holy shit, we have a lot of extra money, what can we do with it? Should we install 4K TVs and game consoles for every single player in the locker rooms?  Should each player have their own hand-crafted set of weights made with conflict-free fair-trade ethically-obtained metals?"

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not sure Arky or Mizzou are viable long term threats for ou and hopefully Texas.  This should be a two team conference.  Now, what I could see happening is the decision makers say "all conferences must have at least 12 teams" to settle the conference imbalance.

Do the decision makers/advertising folks honestly care how many teams are in a conference as long as Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. are always going to be in the playoffs?  And for the advertising folks, a 12-team playoff is going to make a bunch of those late October and November games really important.

This whole 12-team thing feels more like it's about making sure that Certain Teams are always in, than about some kind of parity between conferences.  From what I've read, all the SEC cares about is getting 3 teams in.

41 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Its not really a "threat to blue bloods" conversation, its threat to those battling for third.  Would they want to get rid of the increased exposure that Mizzou and Arky could take back that they're currently losing now for being middling programs in their divisions.

• Hook 'Em 2