Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Sir Ulrich said:

Everybody in the west would vote for this because it means Bama goes east and everybody in the east would love to add 20 million a year in revenue. 

I mean, it for sure would get a majority vote. It would ensure a massive economic wind fall for everyone and multiple guaranteed spots in the playoffs every year for the conference.  That being said, you wonder why this was leaked? To force the other conferences to make their pitch to Texas/OU? 

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More TV money, more playoff money, more season tickets sold in the new SEZ. 

The better question is why OU would do it given the rule the roost. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More TV money, more playoff money, more season tickets sold in the new SEZ. 

The better question is why OU would do it given the rule the roost. 

If they feel like the SEC would take Texas +1, it is by far in their best interest to go along.  Being king of whatever the Big 12 looks like without Texas is not where a serious program wants to be.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Lopez has some legit sources at aggy

I mean, isn't this the definition of self fulfilling prophecy?

The only way for the Big 12 to be unstable is for Texas and OU to want out.  So if Texas and OU don't want out, the league isn't going anywhere.  If they know it isn't going to last, it's because they decided so.  Not because of some unstoppable external force of nature.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Hmmm…siap

“Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork made it clear to gathered media Wednesday that he wants the Aggies to be the only team from the Lone Star State in the conference. Texas A&M and Missouri were the two teams that left the Big 12 for the SEC in the last round of conference realignment nearly a decade ago.

"I haven't read the article, but if you're asking me to kind of comment on college athletics, it's changing," Bjork told Dodd. "So what does that look like? I don't know. ... We want to be the only SEC program in the state of Texas. There's a reason Texas A&M left the Big 12: to stand alone to have our own identity."

13 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

Lets talk divisions... 

You want old school two divisions... or pods? 

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

------
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Florida
– Georgia
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt
– South Carolina
– Kentucky
-----------------------Or---------------------

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas

---
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

---
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt

---
– Florida
– Georgia
– South Carolina
– Kentucky

4 divisions idea is interesting. The irony of the two division setup is that it's basically the Big 12 + LSU in the West (in terms of contenders) and then the normal SEC powers minus LSU in the East. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Hmmm…siap

“Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork made it clear to gathered media Wednesday that he wants the Aggies to be the only team from the Lone Star State in the conference. Texas A&M and Missouri were the two teams that left the Big 12 for the SEC in the last round of conference realignment nearly a decade ago.

"I haven't read the article, but if you're asking me to kind of comment on college athletics, it's changing," Bjork told Dodd. "So what does that look like? I don't know. ... We want to be the only SEC program in the state of Texas. There's a reason Texas A&M left the Big 12: to stand alone to have our own identity."

That's the most little brother thing imaginable. Big brother would say "Sure, come on in. We'd love to beat up on you."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, isn't this the definition of self fulfilling prophecy?

The only way for the Big 12 to be unstable is for Texas and OU to want out.  So if Texas and OU don't want out, the league isn't going anywhere.  If they know it isn't going to last, it's because they decided so.  Not because of some unstoppable external force of nature.

This. Nobody else is going anywhere. It lasts as long as UT and OU are happy. If they're not, well then just blow it up already and let Baylor get fuct. I think we'd find a home in the PAC. We could market NIL to large west coast markets maybe. Who knows. I just don't want to be relegated to the AAC.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

Hmmm…siap

In other words….”Oh shit!”

Fuck you Aggy. You can run but you can’t hide
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

4 divisions idea is interesting. The irony of the two division setup is that it's basically the Big 12 + LSU in the West (in terms of contenders) and then the normal SEC powers minus LSU in the East. 

Basically no matter what Alabama most likely will not be in Texas or OU's division or pod. 

It will be some version of Texas, A&M, OU, Arky, LSU... fill in the blank. 

Will play the others in the conference a lot less frequently, sort of like our out of conference schedule was already setting up. 

20 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

Lets talk divisions... 

You want old school two divisions... or pods? 

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

------
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Florida
– Georgia
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt
– South Carolina
– Kentucky
-----------------------Or---------------------

– Texas
– Oklahoma
– Texas A&M
– Arkansas

---
– LSU
– Missouri
– Ole Miss
– Miss State

---
– Alabama
– Auburn
– Tennessee
– Vanderbilt

---
– Florida
– Georgia
– South Carolina
– Kentucky

th?id=OIP.mKpkdY1J3tsKT5rf5vDPmwD6D6%26p

Just now, n64ra said:

Why would OU want to trade winning the Big 12 nearly every season with losing the division to Alabama nearly every season?

Because they won't play Bama very often? 

Only in the championship game most likely? And even then, the two teams in the championship game will most likely make the playoffs as they expand to 12 teams. 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

This. Nobody else is going anywhere. It lasts as long as UT and OU are happy. If they're not, well then just blow it up already and let Baylor get fuct. I think we'd find a home in the PAC. We could market NIL to large west coast markets maybe. Who knows. I just don't want to be relegated to the AAC.

You won't, and neither will we.  I'd rather keep the Big 12 together, but I have little fear about ISU finding a home with the state of our football, academics, and the rise of cord cutting.  Media markets don't make a shit.

What I could see happening is us and KU joining the Big 10 due to academics and geography, and the rest of the league going west.  I'd miss playing you guys and KSU but I could be pretty happening with that arrangement.

I also wouldn't hate anchoring a Great Plains wing of the Pac 12 with you guys and KSU and playing CU again either.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

Because they won't play Bama very often? 

Only in the championship game most likely? And even then, the two teams in the championship game will most likely make the playoffs as they expand to 12 teams. 

If it's 8 team division and they're both in the West...

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If this happens (and it's not going to happen) I would assume that would be the move.  The Big 10 and ACC are going to want to fill out, ISU and KU are the only logical available choices for the Big 10 based on academics and geography, WVU + Notre Dame fills the ACC, and the Pac 12 adds KSU, OSU, Tech, and probably TCU (being as they are less religious and rapey than Baylor).

Actually, I don't hate this.

Not my top choice. Wouldn't bother me if we did.

ESPN may have an opinion. If this plays out as above, they lose a lot of decent content when the rest of the conference goes Big 10 or PAC 12.

And this is the same playbook as last SEC Expansion...make the schools ask first so they don't look like they're poaching (as much).

P.S. Finebaum talking about this now on SECN from SEC Media Days.

On the one hand, we'd stop having to play Kansas, TCU, Kansas State, West Virginia and Tech.  On the other, we have to play some real asshole schools in aggy, arky, LSU, maybe Mizzery again.

But also the LHN would die.  It would fold into the SEC Network I guess? 

But....

Would the Texas Lege let Baylor, TCU and Tech die in a shitty Big 12 or revamped SWC with UH, SMU, UTEP, UTSA?  Because those 3 big schools aren't going to appeal that much to the Pac 12 - certainly none of them really give the Pac 12 a better chance at the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

Not my top choice. Wouldn't bother me if we did.

ESPN may have an opinion. If this plays out as above, they lose a lot of decent content when the rest of the conference goes Big 10 or PAC 12.

And this is the same playbook as last SEC Expansion...make the schools ask first so they don't look like they're poaching (as much).

P.S. Finebaum talking about this now on SECN from SEC Media Days.

Didn't this golum say Texas was irrelevant in football?

Just now, Js1 said:

On the one hand, we'd stop having to play Kansas, TCU, Kansas State, West Virginia and Tech.  On the other, we have to play some real asshole schools in aggy, arky, LSU, maybe Mizzery again.

But also the LHN would die.  It would fold into the SEC Network I guess? 

But....

Would the Texas Lege let Baylor, TCU and Tech die in a shitty Big 12 or revamped SWC with UH, SMU, UTEP, UTSA?  Because those 3 big schools aren't going to appeal that much to the Pac 12 - certainly none of them really give the Pac 12 a better chance at the playoffs. 

Adding those schools gets the Pac 12 into the central time zone and puts them on the same field as other leagues.

If this happens, the remaining leagues will all go to 16.

• Hook 'Em 1