Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

But honestly I don't get the "why" part of it.  Texas and OU have vastly easier paths to the playoffs under the expanded format.  I think it only makes it that much more difficult.  The damage teams will inflict on each other in the loss column would be hard to overcome.  You can't put a 3-4 loss SEC team in a 12 team field.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That article doesn’t mention either Okie State or Tech, which makes me think it’s a troll job.

Why? The "sTATE LEGilSaturE WON't LEt iT HAPPEN" is a lie, at least in Oklahoma. The state leg here is lousy with landthieves and they're more interested in cloak room bullshit than college sports. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Sbbruin said:

But honestly I don't get the "why" part of it.  Texas and OU have vastly easier paths to the playoffs under the expanded format.  I think it only makes it that much more difficult.  The damage teams will inflict on each other in the loss column would be hard to overcome.  You can't put a 3-4 loss SEC team in a 12 team field.

There really isn't much of a "why", which is why I ultimately think it's summer speculative click bait.

It's objectively stupid and counter productive to the goal of winning for either Texas or OU to change conferences.  But if they do, whatever.  We've seen this movie before and no one ever learns.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You can when the conference is basically an ALL STAR NFL QUALITY with 6 of the top 10 teams in the entire world beating up on each other every week. 

SECSECSEC!!!!111

Edited by Zeus

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

$$$$ is the only reason. Culturally and academically, Texas does not fit with backwards ass schools of the sec.

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

Will Oklahoma state legislature allow this? I thought OU & OSU were tied at the hip?

See above. State legislature doesn't give a shit. The administrators of the schools are adults (unlike aggy) and have worked together to stay together, but if OU in fact joined UT in "reaching out" I guess they don't care anymore and just want some of that sec money.

If I can get way ahead of myself here: 

The Big 12 contracts run until 2025, correct? On the off-chance this actually happened and was announced within the next few weeks, would we really see 4 seasons of a lame duck Big 12 playing out the string with Texas and OU or could we see the the move happen earlier?

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I wonder about this a bit too. In a lot of ways, joining the PAC seems like a better fit (big markets, easier playoff path, academics, etc.). But yeah, being in an SEC superconference would be big $$ and help recruiting.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Long term financial stability. There was a blurb back in the fall from a Tech paper about the Big 12 going back to the TV partners to see about an extension. The TV partners said no. Then the SEC got their new deal. Now with NIL, I could very much see Texas reading the tea leaves that the recruiting advantage of the SEC is only going to get greater now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

$$$$ is the only reason. Culturally and academically, Texas does not fit with backwards ass schools of the sec.

Except Florida.

But do we really "fit" with Okie Lite, Baylor, TCU, Tech, and West Virginia? 

Edited by Zeus
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

But the sources say Texas is fine joining a conference with 2 elite academic institutions and 12 "barely a step above JUCOs"

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

The Big 12 contracts run until 2025, correct? On the off-chance this actually happened and was announced within the next few weeks, would we really see 4 seasons of a lame duck Big 12 playing out the string with Texas and OU or could we see the the move happen earlier?

If everyone else has a home lined up, I assume they'd just dissolve ASAP.

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Texas still has the tier 3 LHN money. OU has their own tier 3 deal. Not a great amount but I'd imagine the SEC kicks in money to cover the cost. Plus, if the conference loses the two biggest draws, the TV partners may dump the contract. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Depends on what happens next.   If there is a full on raid, you need something like 4 left to keep the contracts and, if you do, everyone who left's rights are still held by the conference, so a lot of lawyering up to go.

If everyone finds a home but one or two, it dissolves and that is that.

If this is a thing, its in their best interest to find good homes for the remaining schools or it could get expensive.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m in the “I want this” camp. If texas truly wants the SEC, I can’t imagine a scenario where the SEC doesn’t want Texas. Academics alone, let alone $$$. It’s the right move and the aggy tears would be absolutely delicious mrw GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Why would OU want to trade winning the Big 12 nearly every season with losing the division to Alabama nearly every season?

Bama would get pushed to the West I'm guessing. They'd just lose to them in the championship game. Means all those East teams would never get a shot at the SEC championship again. 

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I was thinking we’d kick it off next year with the home and home with Bama. 🤷🏽‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

2 teams are already making the playoffs from the SEC almost every year. 

If you add OU/Texas the SEC could very well get 4 to 5 teams in the playoffs every year. I don't buy the argument the Big 12 is an easier path to the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There really isn't much of a "why", which is why I ultimately think it's summer speculative click bait.

It's objectively stupid and counter productive to the goal of winning for either Texas or OU to change conferences.  But if they do, whatever.  We've seen this movie before and no one ever learns.

There is one, and only one, possible "why."

Money GIFs | Tenor

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why? The "sTATE LEGilSaturE WON't LEt iT HAPPEN" is a lie, at least in Oklahoma. The state leg here is lousy with landthieves and they're more interested in cloak room bullshit than college sports. 

Is this true?  Doesn’t the state ledge have more OSU alums than OU?

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

2 teams are already making the playoffs from the SEC almost every year. 

If you add OU/Texas the SEC could very well get 4 to 5 teams in the playoffs every year. I don't buy the argument the Big 12 is an easier path to the playoffs. 

Yup.

Zero (0) big12 teams made the playoff last year. This conference sucks shit, having to play the other best team twice, once in fucking lifeless soul sucking shithole jerryworld. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Except Florida.

i'm too lazy to look up rankings but i bet they are all (except wvu) ranked higher than both miss schools, both bama schools, and lsu. those are some fucking glorified jucos.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You won't, and neither will we.  I'd rather keep the Big 12 together, but I have little fear about ISU finding a home with the state of our football, academics, and the rise of cord cutting.  Media markets don't make a shit.

What I could see happening is us and KU joining the Big 10 due to academics and geography, and the rest of the league going west.  I'd miss playing you guys and KSU but I could be pretty happening with that arrangement.

I also wouldn't hate anchoring a Great Plains wing of the Pac 12 with you guys and KSU and playing CU again either.

Does Iowa have full aggy within its administration? I've said before that as heated as the Bedlam rivalry is, the administrators have always gotten along it seems and work together for the betterment of both the state and the conference. Would Iowa object to adding ISU? I think you're right that "ONe scHoOL PER MArket" if finally going to not matter anymore.

8 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Except Florida.

Vanderbilt would like a word on SEC academic institutions.  It's those 2 and some god awful JUCO-level academics that don't want to play school.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Does Iowa have full aggy within its administration? I've said before that as heated as the Bedlam rivalry is, the administrators have always gotten along it seems and work together for the betterment of both the state and the conference. Would Iowa object to adding ISU? I think you're right that "ONe scHoOL PER MArket" if finally going to not matter anymore.

I don't know.  I don't think so.  Apparently the only reason we play each other is because the legislature made it happen.

It would be bad for the state's economy to have ISU relegated.  If anything, ISU in the Big 10 would raise the stakes of the game, and the idea of having the Nebbish horde invading the state twice a year, or at least annually, would be something that Iowa's legislature would salivate over.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i'm too lazy to look up rankings but i bet they are all (except wvu) ranked higher than both miss schools, both bama schools, and lsu. those are some fucking glorified jucos.

Yeah maybe but they also cover up their players raping and beating girls. Fuck TCU. Fuck Baylor.

[spoiler]

https://media.wfaa.com/assets/WFAA/images/d4b21d80-507e-459c-9126-167b246e5034/d4b21d80-507e-459c-9126-167b246e5034_1140x641.jpg

https://freiwaldlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Baylor-student.jpg

[/spoiler]

Edited by Zeus