Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Oh, fuck off with this shit.  It's terrible and it's not likely to happen.  The Pac 12 is desperate to make some kind of splash, and if the Big 10 adds KU they're going to add a 16th team.

Between those two, it's really unlikely ISU gets left in some kind of AAC bullshit.  I hated listening to this patronizing bullshit 10 years ago, and I hate it even more now that we're actually relevant and have dramatically improved our facilities.

nobody cares bfd GIFAt least nobody on the east and west coasts. I like and will miss ISU and Kansas teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

But does OU want out of a conference they've dominated and has given them a clear path to the playoffs?  Seems like Texas is the driver in this one.

I always felt OU was going to the SEC eventually. They don't care. They have an incredible program that's bringing in high powered offensive recruits. The SEC could net them even more. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

TV sets means everything. TV contracts are the biggest single source third party revenue for the schools. ESPN pretty much owns college football. They add two other top markets in Houston and Dallas and two top tv drawing schools and they can pretty much dictate their prices to the cable providers. 

Viewership means everything.   TV sets, e.g. markets, not so much.   Carriage really isn't much of a thing as it once was, streaming services measure eyeballs more than zip codes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I always felt OU was going to the SEC eventually. They don't care. They have an incredible program that's bringing in high powered offensive recruits. The SEC could net them even more. 

So similar question about Texas politics -- Is there anything politically in Oklahoma that would keep Oklahoma State tethered to OU and kill this?

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Right, I see this as Texas knowing they are going to be behind the rest if they do not move soon. NIL is going to be a huge factor in recruiting and honestly is a great way to jump into the slimey world of boosters paying players. 

Yep.  This is the new way, with no counter-argument.  So be it.

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The Supreme Court pretty much decided that earlier in the year. This is the nail in the coffin. 

The NCAA couldn't/wouldn't punish the SEC schools for blatant cheating before. What the fuck they gonna do now?

100% my point.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So when does this thread become appropriate for McRibs and other Big Dick Energy?

I mean.....I just get my McRib with extra pickles, but you do you.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They wouldn't. I'm presupposing a world where Kansas has the automatic 15th spot in the Big 10 because of their hoops, WVA goes to the ACC and the Pac 12 doesn't expand.  That leaves Tech, Baylor, TCU, Ok State, ISU and Kansas State. I don't know- maybe the Big 10 would want yall, but I'd think Tech or Ok State might be more likely if they are trying to get carriage in another state with the Big 10 network. That's obviously why they went with Rutgers and Maryland. If TV sets and markets don't matter than yall make sense for geographic continuity and footprint and the like.  

Like I said, rooting for the best for yall. Leaving ISU, OSU and Tech would be the only ones I feel bad about.  Yall all deserve better. If the Pac 12 goes to 16 then it becomes Baylor, Tech, TCU and Ok State out there that would make the most sense and you'd be fighting with KSU for the last seat at the table. I imagine yall would win that fight and be in the big 10. 

I have to believe BYU jumps to PAC.  if we make the call to join SEC with OU the carousel be like....

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

So similar question about Texas politics -- Is there anything politically in Oklahoma that would keep Oklahoma State tethered to OU and kill this?

Just curious.  Why do we have to be in a conference with Oklahoma?

We weren't before the Big 12.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

To put his facial expressions and look of defeat with the quotes from earlier makes his comments that much sweeter. 

yep.  someone killed his puppy.  he could have just laughed it off and said "not happening".  Instead he made a pitch.

27DBDB25-97B8-4AAC-842D-8CF85ED64B1E.thumb.png.4f443242369fa9c0a8aa1a11094911a1.png

Nahlin ^

Well there it is. If IT says it is in the works, it’s not happening.

SEC academic concern is dumb. The next best school in the B12 is… Iowa State? Kansas? Georgia, Florida, Vanderbilt, and I think maybe aggy still all higher on the academic podium. It’s not a selling point but it shouldn’t be a road block given our current neighborhood.

Just now, Rip76 said:

Just curious.  Why do we have to be in a conference with Oklahoma?

We weren't before the Big 12.

We don't.  But OU won't be in a Big 12 without Texas, and OU would go to the SEC with Texas in a heartbeat over any other conference if the SEC wants both schools.

3 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Viewership means everything.   TV sets, e.g. markets, not so much.   Carriage really isn't much of a thing as it once was, streaming services measure eyeballs more than zip codes.

ESPN + is but a rounding error. For ESPN, it's still tv sets and cable. It's definitely declining, however, ESPN + streaming is nowhere near making up the decline.

https://nextlevel.finance/updated-espn-subscribers-and-espn-revenue-explained/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Well there it is. If IT says it is in the works, it’s not happening.

SEC academic concern is dumb. The next best school in the B12 is… Iowa State? Kansas? Georgia, Florida, Vanderbilt, and I think maybe aggy still all higher on the academic podium. It’s not a selling point but it shouldn’t be a road block given our current neighborhood.

You're not wrong about the Big12 academic "prowess."  But to me the perception has a reason

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't think you start getting nutty with a 4 division conference.  Throw Utah, CU, and the NorCal schools in the north and add UT, OU, TT, and OSU to the south.  Wait, no, that would be fucked up.  

No, I would stick with two divisions. And keep all the easternmost schools in one division to cut down/eliminate late night games. 

aggy is the mediocre looking, annoying bitch who moves to the next town over where she is among others on her scale. she's always been jealous of the hotter, more popular sister. now her sister is moving into town and she knows everyone will soon forget her. so she throws a "what about me?" hissy fit. 

bitch, please. you ugly.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d have to think if you are the AD of any big 12 schools not OU/UT then you’re making some calls right now. I wouldn’t wait around. My uncles went to Tech so they are watching this intently also. I’d be making calls. I wouldn’t wait on UT/OU to see what happens. Jmo. I’d prefer not to lose our cool posters from Big12 schools though…