Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Strategically SEC wins in every way here, because there’s now one less conference today compete with for playoff spots, March madness spots, etc. In fact, this may cripple the PAC pretty badly as well. The amount of money about to get paid out to the sec teams is insane. 

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Appreciate it.  I definitely don't want to lose college football, and although I think it's unlikely, it's still always a possibility for the non blue bloods.  It really makes the long hours during harvest fun.

Mostly, I am really fucking sick of getting drug through this by your and OU's asshole athletic departments.  Shit or get off the pot, and let us get on with life.  I don't get a damn thing done when all the realignment nonsense is flaring up.  I just want to know if we're in or not and if I get to keep college football or give it up.  This is not fun.

I feel for yall. My favorite team and fanbase being added from the old big 8 schools. I'd like to say good luck and hope yall land on your feet, but it feels like you and Kansas State and some others are probably looking at an AAC type conference in your future. Which would suck for yall.  Kansas would get a big boy invite I'd imagine to the big 10 because of hoops.  West VA should be able to get an ACC type invite I'd think.  The rest of the conference that can't do better would probably be something like ISU, KSU, OSU, Tech, TCU, Baylor, then add in SMU, UH, Memphis and maybe BYU.  That would be a league of peers that would have some good football and basketball below the P5 level, on par with the AAC, and that champion should produce a college football playoff team in the new format at least 50% of the time.  Also would probably be a 3 or 4 bid league most years in hoops.  That's not terrible.  

We didn't want A&M in the SEC because of the rampant SEC cheating spreading to our state.

Now, with NIL changing the game, cheating isn't as big of a threat.

We can get more NIL money for our players than most SEC schools can get for their players by cheating. 

This is likely why this is happening now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i'm too lazy to look up rankings but i bet they are all (except wvu) ranked higher than both miss schools, both bama schools, and lsu. those are some fucking glorified jucos.

Yeah, I know U.S. News' undergraduate ranking system sucks, but this was relatively painless to do for comparison's sake:

Vanderbilt #14

Florida #30

Texas #42

Georgia #47

A&M #66

Baylor #76

TCU #80

Auburn #97

Tennessee #112

Iowa State #118

South Carolina #118

Kansas #124

Missouri #124

Oklahoma #133

Kentucky #133

Alabama #143

LSU #153

Arkansas #160

Mississippi #160

Kansas State #170

Oklahoma State #187

Mississippi State #206

Texas Tech #217

West Virginia #241

1 minute ago, camel at sea said:

Why would Big 12 schools (other than UT and OU) suddenly become additive to the other P5 leagues in this scenario?

The 8 remaining Big 12 schools could backfill with AAC schools, continue to be elite in basketball, good in Olympics, and they continue to have CFP access.

WVU, Cincy, Mem, ISU, KSU, KU
OSU, Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, Houston

Because the remainder of the Big 12 aren't worth nothing, and are certainly worth more than the G5 teams.   

If the SEC does go to 16, I can't see why the Big Ten wouldn't do the same.   Who are they going to pick?   Markets aren't as important as content and fanbases any more.  

Then once the Big Ten goes to 16, why couldn't the Pac 12 swing for 16 to keep pace?   And who are they going to grab?   BYU and Boise?   They're not doing that now.   They'd toss a lifeline to whoever is in Texas.

On top of that the Big Ten and the Pac 12 have television contracts that expire around 2023.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Why would Big 12 schools (other than UT and OU) suddenly become additive to the other P5 leagues in this scenario?

The 8 remaining Big 12 schools could backfill with AAC schools, continue to be elite in basketball, good in Olympics, and they continue to have CFP access.

WVU, Cincy, Mem, ISU, KSU, KU
OSU, Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, Houston

This is solid/ I'd enjoy it, but I think the other 8 would get some looks, particularly ISU, KU, and OSU. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I feel for yall. My favorite team and fanbase being added from the old big 8 schools. I'd like to say good luck and hope yall land on your feet, but it feels like you and Kansas State and some others are probably looking at an AAC type conference in your future. Which would suck for yall.  Kansas would get a big boy invite I'd imagine to the big 10 because of hoops.  West VA should be able to get an ACC type invite I'd think.  The rest of the conference that can't do better would probably be something like ISU, KSU, OSU, Tech, TCU, Baylor, then add in SMU, UH, Memphis and maybe BYU.  That would be a league of peers that would have some good football and basketball below the P5 level, on par with the AAC, and that champion should produce a college football playoff team in the new format at least 50% of the time.  Also would probably be a 3 or 4 bid league most years in hoops.  That's not terrible.  

Oh, fuck off with this shit.  It's terrible and it's not likely to happen.  The Pac 12 is desperate to make some kind of splash, and if the Big 10 adds KU they're going to add a 16th team.

Between those two, it's really unlikely ISU gets left in some kind of AAC bullshit.  I hated listening to this patronizing bullshit 10 years ago, and I hate it even more now that we're actually relevant and have dramatically improved our facilities.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, cabowabo said:

Fuck Tech, Baylor and TCU.

Tech was fun with Mike Leach. I would play them every year if they wanted to if we only had 8 games in the SEC (which would seem to make sense- 2 8 team divisions with 1 cross over game?).

National Game against a top notch helmet school

Tech

Trash

Trash

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

1. I really don't care anymore. I think the program needs a shot in the arm, recruiting wise, that the SEC could deliver.

2. Same but it's a bit cheap since we can't even win it currently.

3. Hell no. The Big 10 is awful outside of 3 teams. Selfishly I like the Pac 12 (road trips to the west coast) but that's not a football conference. If we care about football, we go to the football conference of record. 

Playing Baseball with a BIG 10 schedule would SUCK big time.   Get ready for PPD due to snow or other crappy weather in many of those states well into April in even early May.   There is a reason most of the their teams never make the CWS in Omaha because they don't get quality reps and the baseball talent even in those states looks for the warmer climate schools, even if they end up at some of the middle tier conferences in the Sun Belt and California. 

Just now, crash_davis said:

That all pretty much checks out.

Now that CFB has fully transitioned to becoming a professional football league, it seems like there's little choice but to join the most professional football conference.  The NCAA is completely irrelevant now.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Oh, fuck off with this shit.  It's terrible and it's not likely to happen.  The Pac 12 is desperate to make some kind of splash, and if the Big 10 adds KU they're going to add a 16th team.

Between those two, it's really unlikely ISU gets left in some kind of AAC bullshit.  I hated listening to this patronizing bullshit 10 years ago, and I hate it even more now that we're actually relevant and have dramatically improved our facilities.

I wasn't trying to be patronizing man, sorry if it came off that way. I'd be surprised if the Pac 12 added anyone.  Big 10 is at 14, Kansas makes sense at 15 with their hoops, so who from the remaining teams make sense?  They already have Iowa TV sets with Iowa locked in. I think there's 1 spot left and it's in the big 10 and there are other schools more likely to fill it. If the Pac 12 were to go 16 you'd have a chance.  Truly, I'm rooting for yall to land on your feet.  like I said, I've ALWAYS enjoyed your fan base and hope for the best for yall.  

4 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Fuck Tech, Baylor and TCU.

Agree.  Who are the big swinging dicks in Texas government who could block a move to the SEC if we don't take one or more of those fuckers with us?  Greg Abbott is a Texas Ex.  Dan Patrick graduated from the University of Maryland (at Baltimore County), so he probably doesn't give a fuck.  Are there any bitchasses in the Senate or House who could be a problem?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Tech, OSU, KSU, TCU to the PAC 12

Kansas and ISU to the big 10

WVU to ACC (hell maybe AAC)

Baylor - Southland?

WVU's basketball program will get them picked up by someone bigger than the AAC.  The B1G or the ACC.  If KU basketball drags their shit football program into the B1G, Huggy will get them in a bigger conference. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The NCAA is completely irrelevant now.

The Supreme Court pretty much decided that earlier in the year. This is the nail in the coffin. 

The NCAA couldn't/wouldn't punish the SEC schools for blatant cheating before. What the fuck they gonna do now?

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I have always said in this thread though is that if OU wants out we have to go with them. This league needs both of us to work.

So the TV money might not be enough for one or both of us so off we go. It is just the way it is. Pity. I liked having our own decent but winnable conference and not being someone else's lacky.

But if we do go it certainly won't be the PAC. We probably want more money, not less. So hello Eastern Super Conference probably. I hope it is as good as you people claim it will be.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I wasn't trying to be patronizing man, sorry if it came off that way. I'd be surprised if the Pac 12 added anyone.  Big 10 is at 14, Kansas makes sense at 15 with their hoops, so who from the remaining teams make sense?  They already have Iowa TV sets with Iowa locked in. I think there's 1 spot left and it's in the big 10 and there are other schools more likely to fill it. If the Pac 12 were to go 16 you'd have a chance.  Truly, I'm rooting for yall to land on your feet.  like I said, I've ALWAYS enjoyed your fan base and hope for the best for yall.  

TV sets don't mean dick any more.  There aren't really any other available schools that meet Big 10 requirements.  Why would they go to 15?

I don't mean to be a dick.  I should probably just walk away until the dust settles.  This will absolutely negatively affect my fun in life, and will be something akin to the death of a pet or something if we get relegated.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I do.  

spacer.png

I do as well. Get UT, TT, OU, & OSU in an eastern P12 division with ASU, UA, Utah, & CU. Then you wouldn't have to worry about late starts or extensive travel since those schools are the the Mtn time zone. P12 would become the second best conference after the SEC. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

On the plus side we get to play Arkansas and A&M again and we get real rivalry games again. No offense to Tech fans but that game after Thanksgiving was not doing it for me. 

I can't be the only one who doesn't see this as a plus

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Agree.  Who are the big swinging dicks in Texas government who could block a move to the SEC if we don't take one or more of those fuckers with us?  Greg Abbott is a Texas Ex.  Dan Patrick graduated from the University of Maryland (at Baltimore County), so he probably doesn't give a fuck.  Are there any bitchasses in the Senate or House who could be a problem?

Ann Richards?

Edited by cabowabo

Just now, Asu2215 said:

I do as well. Get UT, TT, OU, & OSU in an eastern P12 division with ASU, UA, Utah, & CU. Then you wouldn't have to worry about late starts or extensive travel since those schools are the the Mtn time zone. P12 would become the second best conference after the SEC. 

Since I live in Colorado, I'd be all for this. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

One thing I have always said in this thread though is that if OU wants out we have to go with them.

But does OU want out of a conference they've dominated and has given them a clear path to the playoffs?  Seems like Texas is the driver in this one.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

TV sets don't mean dick any more.  There aren't really any other available schools that meet Big 10 requirements.  Why would they go to 15?

TV sets means everything. TV contracts are the biggest single source third party revenue for the schools. ESPN pretty much owns college football. They add two other top markets in Houston and Dallas and two top tv drawing schools and they can pretty much dictate their prices to the cable providers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

One thing I have always said in this thread though is that if OU wants out we have to go with them. This league needs both of us to work.

So the TV money might not be enough for one or both of us so off we go. It is just the way it is. Pity. I liked having our own decent but winnable conference and not being someone else's lacky.

But if we do go it certainly won't be the PAC. We probably want more money, not less. So hello Eastern Super Conference probably. I hope it is as good as you people claim it will be.

Remember the atmosphere in DKR for the LSU game?

It will be a whole lot more of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Asu2215 said:

I don't think you start getting nutty with a 4 division conference.  Throw Utah, CU, and the NorCal schools in the north and add UT, OU, TT, and OSU to the south.  Wait, no, that would be fucked up.  

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

They wouldn't. I'm presupposing a world where Kansas has the automatic 15th spot in the Big 10 because of their hoops, WVA goes to the ACC and the Pac 12 doesn't expand.  That leaves Tech, Baylor, TCU, Ok State, ISU and Kansas State. I don't know- maybe the Big 10 would want yall, but I'd think Tech or Ok State might be more likely if they are trying to get carriage in another state with the Big 10 network. That's obviously why they went with Rutgers and Maryland. If TV sets and markets don't matter than yall make sense for geographic continuity and footprint and the like.  

Like I said, rooting for the best for yall. Leaving ISU, OSU and Tech would be the only ones I feel bad about.  Yall all deserve better. If the Pac 12 goes to 16 then it becomes Baylor, Tech, TCU and Ok State out there that would make the most sense and you'd be fighting with KSU for the last seat at the table. I imagine yall would win that fight and be in the big 10. 

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That's the most little brother thing imaginable. Big brother would say "Sure, come on in. We'd love to beat up on you."

this. so their identity is contingent upon being in a league without Texas. not, you know...in their own identity

This was always the likely endgame.  I saw a slight chance the the Big 10 could happen, if we didn't want to get mired in SECSECSEC.   PAC with the 2Hr time zone is just really untenable when you want as many eyeballs as possible for your 3rd tier stuff.

basketball takes a bit of a hit.

will be interesting to see if FSU and/or Miami try to make a play.