Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They'd need 3 more no votes to shut it down.

I know.  they can't stop it but they could vote no if 1 or 2 others did as well.  face saving by the higher ups in front of the rectum crew that they didn't just lay down and take it from Big Brother.

Just now, dcar00 said:

I know.  they can't stop it but they could vote no if 1 or 2 others did as well.  face saving by the higher ups in front of the rectum crew that they didn't just lay down and take it from Big Brother.

This wouldn’t have been leaked if they didn’t have the votes

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

ESPN + is but a rounding error. For ESPN, it's still tv sets and cable. It's definitely declining, however, ESPN + streaming is nowhere near making up the decline.

https://nextlevel.finance/updated-espn-subscribers-and-espn-revenue-explained/

No, not yet, but that's where we're headed.   Disney just netted $60m from premium access to Black Widow in one weekend.  Amazon just forked over $1B to stream Thursday night NFL games.   Carriage is becoming less and less meaningful and adding Texas and Oklahoma isn't going to net ESPN more TVs, since they already have them.   What it will do is add viewership, whether that is via TVs or streaming.   

The same can be said for other teams.   The "in the same state" argument doesn't mean anything any more, its how many people are watching.   That's what is going to dictate this next round of media deals, unlike a decade ago when DMAs drove the conversation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So similar question about Texas politics -- Is there anything politically in Oklahoma that would keep Oklahoma State tethered to OU and kill this?

The easiest answer to in-state politics is for the Big 12 to survive and remain a power conference.  If OSU has a P5 conference (even a much weaker one) with playoff access, OU is going to be able to leave without any pushback.  

In the case of Texas politics... there's an open door now for the Big 12 to add SMU and Houston.  If so, then that increases the number of P5 teams in the state of Texas to seven.  That's a win for the state legislature.  

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I could see a scenario where LSU is a no.  That’s the only other one that might be a no.

mine was a pure hypothetical.  I don't see anyone else voting no and certainly not LSU because while they may be dumb coonasses, they aren't bitches.

Just now, Hook1997 said:

Does anyone else not like the idea of only 4 mega conferences?  They expand the playoff there’s no reason if Sark turns this around that Texas wouldn’t be in the playoff almost every year from the big 12 as it is now.  

No but like I said already this is headed to a splinter in football where 40-60 teams form a Super League and the rest do what they do....

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The SEC is getting 2 teams in without Texas or OU in the conference now.  When the CFP expands, they're getting in 3 or 4 or 5 regardless of Texas and OU being in the conference or not, it'll just be aggy, LSU and Florida to go with Alabama and Georgia.

It's not the best conference.  It's ESPN's conference.  But OU doesn't have a problem making the playoffs from the shitty Big 12.  Texas just isn't keeping up its end of the bargain (thanks Chuck and Tom). 

With cord cutting media dollar$ are going to move to eyeballs delivered from traditional TV market size.

ag tag poster lol

AGinHI

4:54p

AG

We would lose our advantage sure as **** if that ever happened.

We have differentiated ourselves in the SEC. When we were in the SWC and Big12 we were just another Texas school under the shadow of the Longhorns.

Not anymore.

Texas was all in on the Pac12. So why the SEC? Why now?

Because they know we've surpassed them. We've aligned ourselves with the college football brand and they're afraid. The only way they can neutralize our advantage is by joining us and telling recruits the premier program (their view not mine) in the state is now a member of the SEC.

That can never happen.

5 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

That seems to answer the "so, is OSU in on this conversation?" question.

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d have to think if you are the AD of any big 12 schools not OU/UT then you’re making some calls right now. I wouldn’t wait around. My uncles went to Tech so they are watching this intently also. I’d be making calls. I wouldn’t wait on UT/OU to see what happens. Jmo. I’d prefer not to lose our cool posters from Big12 schools though…

And 100% this.  It's time to find a lifeboat, the SS BigXII is going under and fast.  Don't be left behind standing on deck as she slips beneath the waves.

But Baylor....they're hosed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Does anyone else not like the idea of only 4 mega conferences?  They expand the playoff there’s no reason if Sark turns this around that Texas wouldn’t be in the playoff almost every year from the big 12 as it is now.  

If Texas does what it's supposed to do, Texas and OU should be in an expanded playoff every year from the Big 12.  The problem is we haven't been holding up our end of the deal. 

Just now, Hurtlocker said:

No, not yet, but that's where we're headed.   Disney just netted $60m from premium access to Black Widow in one weekend.  Amazon just forked over $1B to stream Thursday night NFL games.   Carriage is becoming less and less meaningful and adding Texas and Oklahoma isn't going to net ESPN more TVs, since they already have them.   What it will do is add viewership, whether that is via TVs or streaming.   

The same can be said for other teams.   The "in the same state" argument doesn't mean anything any more, its how many people are watching.   That's what is going to dictate this next round of media deals, unlike a decade ago when DMAs drove the conversation.

again, ESPN + has been unsuccessful. maybe they make a new play with an expanded texas + ou SEC. but comparing sports channel subs versus movie and ip content subs are two different things.

for the time being, it's the traditional model that they have to sustain revenue which is TV sets in cable markets.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If we stay in a viable league I probably would stick around.

If we end up G5 I’ll have to quit following the sport altogether.

Pay attention to the Twitter. Pretty much sounds like Big 10 is best for for y’all. Now that OKSt came out with a strong statement the other schools will follow…

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d have to think if you are the AD of any big 12 schools not OU/UT then you’re making some calls right now. I wouldn’t wait around. My uncles went to Tech so they are watching this intently also. I’d be making calls. I wouldn’t wait on UT/OU to see what happens. Jmo. I’d prefer not to lose our cool posters from Big12 schools though…

I expect since Tech has their old U of AZ/ASU ties that they are calling them right about now about PAC-Bahzillion! Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The SEC has wanted Texas and OU for years. Any puddknocking school currently in the SEC that threatens to veto this is gonna get a "talking to." 

they've been wanting us since before the SWC dissolved

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The SEC has wanted Texas and OU for years. Any puddknocking school currently in the SEC that threatens to veto this is gonna get a "talking to." 

Yup. 

If aggy starts any shit they'll get kicked out and they know it.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

again, ESPN + has been unsuccessful. maybe they make a new play with an expanded texas + ou SEC. but comparing sports channel subs versus movie and ip content subs are two different things.

for the time being, it's the traditional model that they have to sustain revenue which is TV sets in cable markets.

Its not though, but it was.   And adding Texas doesn't add any households to neither ESPN nor the SECN.   This is about audience, people viewing the actual game and it will continue to grow that way over the next decade.   

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

So, what're we guessing here?

Texas and ou to SEC.

WVU and ISU to Big 10.

Tech, Okie St, KU, and KSU to Pac.

Baylor and TCU get left behind.

Something like that?

They belong in the AAC with Houston bless their little hearts

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

mine was a pure hypothetical.  I don't see anyone else voting no and certainly not LSU because while they may be dumb coonasses, they aren't bitches.

I don't the SEC would even go the extra step or two if a handful of schools in the SEC said no.   It might be dead in the water.

LSU has their own crap internally they have to worry about right now as well. 

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That seems to answer the "so, is OSU in on this conversation?" question.

And 100% this.  It's time to find a lifeboat, the SS BigXII is going under and fast.  Don't be left behind standing on deck as she slips beneath the waves.

But Baylor....they're hosed.

And a toilet-seat-shaped empty stadium...... seems apropos.

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Does Iowa have full aggy within its administration? I've said before that as heated as the Bedlam rivalry is, the administrators have always gotten along it seems and work together for the betterment of both the state and the conference. Would Iowa object to adding ISU? I think you're right that "ONe scHoOL PER MArket" if finally going to not matter anymore.

The rest of the conference would object. They would add nothing and only serve to siphon off tv money from other members. They wouldn’t expand the BTN footprint at all like Rutgers and Maryland. They’re not a national brand like Nebraska. Their best bet is probably to join the Mountain West and hope that when they expand the playoff to 12 teams the MWC champ will get a berth. 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

So, what're we guessing here?

Texas and ou to SEC.

WVU and ISU to Big 10.

Tech, Okie St, KU, and KSU to Pac.

Baylor and TCU get left behind.

Something like that?

I think its

WVU to ACC

KU to Big 10

everyone else is a crapshoot -  Tech and OSU would have to go PAC

BYU is a wildcard