Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

I mean, we're not exactly a blueblood, but we put ourselves on the map by making innovative contributions to the way offense is played and are known for producing QBs, head coaches,, won a national title, a Heisman and have a built in modest-sized national fanbase.  I'd say a Top 25-40 brand name in CFB historically.

Football innovators: yes

QB factory: yes

Sark creators: yes

Head coaches: ??

National title: about as paranormal a result as the end of last night's baseball game, but sure, it counts, just like the aggy title 45 years earlier

Heisman: yes

top 25-40 brand name: yes

Modest-sized fanbase: more than modest, it's top half P5

National fanbase: no

Screenshot2023-06-13163454.thumb.jpg.06bc58731ba6344b342ff7cfacfa883a.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can one of you idiots just tell the rest of us what happened on the video that we're not going to watch of Wazzou's board meeting, please?

It is clear WSU is fucked. Kirk Schulz is the president of WSU and one of 3 PACX member President's on the PACX board. He sure sounds terribly unconvincing about the new deal. BUT the biggest take away is he makes it clear they've been spending money based on PROJECTIONS. 

Before USC/UCLA defected, the PAC12 reasonably figured their new media deal would be around $50mill a year per school. Even after the defections there are a lot of reports that around August of 2022 that the PAC12 had a $40mill a year deal all but finished. But four things happened in this order. 1. The PACX schools knowing they have this $40mill a year all but locked up wanted to do their due diligence and make sure there wasn't more money out there. They still had 20 months on their contract, so why not. 2. During this delay the networks involved in the new contract wanted to verify the TV ratings data that they were largely basing their bids on. And it was at this time they discovered that their competitor Comcast had been overcharged and that the PAC12 was giving bogus ratings data to the new contract media partners. So that $40mill deal started to unravel. 3. Oregon and UW didn't want to sign the $40mill deal until they were certain the B1G wasn't gonna call. 4. While the PAC12 was stalling for more money on one hand and while their potential contract was starting to unravel on the other, the BIG12 deal was finished and we got it signed. The side effect of the NEW12 getting their deal done was that it filled most all the inventory needs of the networks. 

Go ahead and ignore the above paragraph if you want because it's mostly conjecture. But in listening to Kirk Schulz, I'm certain he's saying that for the last 2 years they've been spending money based on their projections that by the fall of 2024 they'd be making at least $40mill a year. They've been funding upgrades, enlarging facilities and handing out pay raises and contract extensions based on the projections of $40mill a year and not the terribly dissapointing deal that is about to come in. They have written checks on an income bump that is not happening.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

It is clear WSU is fucked. Kirk Schulz is the president of WSU and one of 3 PACX member President's on the PACX board. He sure sounds terribly unconvincing about the new deal. BUT the biggest take away is he makes it clear they've been spending money based on PROJECTIONS. 

Before USC/UCLA defected, the PAC12 reasonably figured their new media deal would be around $50mill a year per school. Even after the defections there are a lot of reports that around August of 2022 that the PAC12 had a $40mill a year deal all but finished. But four things happened in this order. 1. The PACX schools knowing they have this $40mill a year all but locked up wanted to do their due diligence and make sure there wasn't more money out there. They still had 20 months on their contract, so why not. 2. During this delay the networks involved in the new contract wanted to verify the TV ratings data that they were largely basing their bids on. And it was at this time they discovered that their competitor Comcast had been overcharged and that the PAC12 was giving bogus ratings data to the new contract media partners. So that $40mill deal started to unravel. 3. Oregon and UW didn't want to sign the $40mill deal until they were certain the B1G wasn't gonna call. 4. While the PAC12 was stalling for more money on one hand and while their potential contract was starting to unravel on the other, the BIG12 deal was finished and we got it signed. The side effect of the NEW12 getting their deal done was that it filled most all the inventory needs of the networks. 

Go ahead and ignore the above paragraph if you want because it's mostly conjecture. But in listening to Kirk Schulz, I'm certain he's saying that for the last 2 years they've been spending money based on their projections that by the fall of 2024 they'd be making at least $40mill a year. They've been funding upgrades, enlarging facilities and handing out pay raises and contract extensions based on the projections of $40mill a year and not the terribly dissapointing deal that is about to come in. They have written checks on an income bump that is not happening.

Okay, thanks. Why does he sound so unconvincing? Is he hemming and hawing? Using a lot of soft terms? Not taking a firm position on anything?

Sounds like the Pac 12 schools have already put down payments on new pools before realizing that their Christmas bonuses aren't in dollars and cents but in the form of a 12 month membership to the Jelly of the Month club.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Football innovators: yes

QB factory: yes

Sark creators: yes

Head coaches: ??

National title: about as paranormal a result as the end of last night's baseball game, but sure, it counts, just like the aggy title 45 years earlier

Heisman: yes

top 25-40 brand name: yes

Modest-sized fanbase: more than modest, it's top half P5

National fanbase: no

Screenshot2023-06-13163454.thumb.jpg.06bc58731ba6344b342ff7cfacfa883a.jpg

Coaches that coached or graduated from either BYU or the LaVell Edwards era: Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Bryan Billick, Kyle Whittingham, Steve Sarkisian, Norm Chow, Mike Leach, Kalani Sitake, to name a few.

https://magazine.byu.edu/article/man-for-all-seasons/

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Can Stanford build a new baseball stadium with indoor plumbing and proper lighting? Please and thank you.

- Signed, David Pierce and Jim Schlossnagle

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, thanks. Why does he sound so unconvincing? Is he hemming and hawing? Using a lot of soft terms? Not taking a firm position on anything?

Sounds like the Pac 12 schools have already put down payments on new pools before realizing that their Christmas bonuses aren't in dollars and cents but in the form of a 12 month membership to the Jelly of the Month club.

In the clip posted, a board member asks him directly what the timeline is because there have bee many of them.  He's quiet for a few seconds and she starts laughing, then he meekly makes a joke and the clip ends. 

It was a bad moment for him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Kirk Schulz is the president of WSU and one of 3 PACX member President's on the PACX board.

That board is responsible for negotiating the media deal and its membership is a microcosm of the conference's questionable management decisions.  The other two members of that board are Stanford and Washington.  You have one school that doesn't give a damn about revenue sports, one school that is openly begging for a B1G invitation and one school that is spitting distance from MWC membership.

To be fair I don't know how qualified the individuals from each school are at the task of negotiating a media deal so maybe they're the best the Pac 12 has available, but it's terrible optics and PR to have the fate of the conference in the hands of that trio given each of their realignment situations.  It also ties into something else I've ranted about before: Bay Area and PNW schools have way too much influence in the direction of the Pac 12, and their influence usually leads to poor outcomes.  It's one of many things that drove USC and UCLA out of the conference and maybe it will drive some Four Corner schools away next.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

In the clip posted, a board member asks him directly what the timeline is because there have bee many of them.  He's quiet for a few seconds and she starts laughing, then he meekly makes a joke and the clip ends. 

It was a bad moment for him.

She wasn't laughing when she responded to him with "it's been kind of a bit like groundhog day".  

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At least Kirk Schulz has been opening up about their pending financial doom. About a month ago he was the first PACX mouthpiece to issue an edict to the athletic department to stop all new spending. In the last week UW began rumbling about a shortfall greater than the Comcast refund. As of now we don't know if any other PACX schools were spending money as if they'd be making 40mill a year in 2024.

4 hours ago, General Specific said:

By this list several Ivy League schools, North Dakota State, Mount Union, St. Johns, Grambling, Wittenberg, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Linfield, Pittsburg State, and more are in the top 50 programs. Not a single remaining B12 school is on that list except WVU, btw.

Boise State, Princeton, Yale, Syracuse, and Illinois are on the list of top 30 programs. 

Congrats to the dozens of teams that won a lot of games in the early 1900s and are now meaningless in college football.

Your lists are irrelevant. 🤡

Edited by Crockett
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

At least Kirk Schulz has been opening up about their pending financial doom. About a month ago he was the first PACX mouthpiece to issue an edict to the athletic department to stop all new spending. In the last week UW began rumbling about a shortfall greater than the Comcast refund. As of now we don't know if any other PACX schools were spending money as if they'd be making 40mill a year in 2024.

This was actually the main reason the B12 went to market early after Texas and OU left.  It provided certainty in budgeting, for the remaining schools they remained on the same trendline they forecasted so, while they didn't get any major gain, they were still in their growth window on the current deal so they signed up..   

I’m not buying the SEC and Big Ten both coveting UNC and Virginia. 

Now, I could see UNC in the SEC and Virginia in the Big Ten, but not both in the same conference. 

Adding Virginia would just give you a few cable subscriber dollars. They’re a zero in football and fan engagement. So basically Rutgers and Maryland. Have at it Big Ten. 

I could get there on UNC. Should be better at football, good fan engagement, and people might actually watch their games on TV. 

Everybody is going to have an opinion on this. Finebaum argued for fit and newTV markets as reasons to add VT and NC State to the SEC. Jesus that would have been a mistake. 

I think ESPN made a good deal with the ACC. Every member is right where they should be. Clemson being the overachieving exception. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think ESPN made a good deal with the ACC. Every member is right where they should be. Clemson being the overachieving exception. 

Bingo!

You have the b12 and acc with teams (fsu/clem aside) at market value.

No teams outside of ND are left that can pull their weight for a b1g/sec sized slice of the pie.

Leaves about 4 spots in the b12, and a couple in the acc.

Why would ESPN/Fox over pay for someone to join the b1g/sec when they can’t pull their weight financially and they could instead put them in the b12/acc?

Adding a tv market isn’t going to be worth as much to the btn moving forward, so a maryland/rutgers deal isn’t going to fly this time.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not buying the SEC and Big Ten both coveting UNC and Virginia. 

Now, I could see UNC in the SEC and Virginia in the Big Ten, but not both in the same conference. 

Adding Virginia would just give you a few cable subscriber dollars. They’re a zero in football and fan engagement. So basically Rutgers and Maryland. Have at it Big Ten. 

I could get there on UNC. Should be better at football, good fan engagement, and people might actually watch their games on TV. 

Everybody is going to have an opinion on this. Finebaum argued for fit and newTV markets as reasons to add VT and NC State to the SEC. Jesus that would have been a mistake. 

I'd actually be completely shocked if they ended up in different conferences.   Both tidewater grandfathers kind of orbit each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I'd actually be completely shocked if they ended up in different conferences.   Both tidewater grandfathers kind of orbit each other.

I agree with this - I cannot see them going to different conferences.  UVA to the Big Ten and UNC to the SEC makes a certain amount of sense, until I think it through.  If UVA gets the Big Ten offer, I think UNC chooses the Big Ten over the SEC.

Plus, it just makes too much sense for the SEC's map:

image.thumb.png.a9ee5c5e8b55a84318355a3524041964.png

• Like 1

Month old report from WSU area TV station. 1:29 mark, WSU's budget from last season was approved with a 1,000,000 shortfall. They were counting on a $40,000,000 PAC12 payout in 2023 and thought they'd still be a million short, of course what they were doing is borrowing money from the future super good deal they thought the PACX would land in the near future. But as we all now know the $40mill payout is now $36mill due to the Comcast refund. And they've borrowed a million from the future PACX deal that ain't gonna be so good. So their 2023 athletic budget is $5,000,000 in the hole. And I'd bet anything that they WERE planning to overspend by at least a million this next year with the rational that "We borrowed money from the future once, lets do it again."

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Dear WSU:

spacer.png

Think more accurately PAC12 has got the ego,  WSU gonna be the one impacting the canopy head first like poor goose...

goosedeath.gif.bf5a3ef3d1576194ea76030a96024316.gif

WSU prob should have taken a look at how Mountain West schools operate their athletic departments because thats what they are likely gonna end up looking like soon, none of this intentionally running multi million dollar budget deficit nonsense...

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You've got to watch this two minute clip from the local WSU news station. At the very start, the sports anchor states that the WSU'S Athetic department is $12,000,000 in debt!! Then at the 1:23 mark there's a Kirk Schulz clip from his Friday sh!t show press conference. Remember as you watch is that he is one of the PACX presidents on the PACX board and he has NO idea what the new media rights deal will come in at.

Kirk Schulz, June 9th, 2023. "At least the projections that I have seen, umm, I'm not sure if it will be a lot larger than we saw in the past, shouldn't be a lot smaller than we saw in the past, it may be fairly flat. But when we add the football playoff dollars on to that we should see a nice bump in revenue. So if we can control expenses then all the sudden you, OK, Now we actually have additional dollars coming in that can be strategically allocated including debt reduction, building up a reserve fund and some of those kinds of things."

1 hour ago, CustersDoctor said:

You've got to watch this two minute clip from the local WSU news station. At the very start, the sports anchor states that the WSU'S Athetic department is $12,000,000 in debt!! Then at the 1:23 mark there's a Kirk Schulz clip from his Friday sh!t show press conference. Remember as you watch is that he is one of the PACX presidents on the PACX board and he has NO idea what the new media rights deal will come in at.

That was grim.

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

Kirk Schulz, June 9th, 2023. "At least the projections that I have seen, umm, I'm not sure if it will be a lot larger than we saw in the past, shouldn't be a lot smaller than we saw in the past, it may be fairly flat. But when we add the football playoff dollars on to that we should see a nice bump in revenue. So if we can control expenses then all the sudden you, OK, Now we actually have additional dollars coming in that can be strategically allocated including debt reduction, building up a reserve fund and some of those kinds of things."

It's worse than $12m.  

In 2021-2022, a year prior, WSU made less than every other Big 12 school at $85 million (KSU is 10th with $100m).   But of that $85 million, $1.3m came from student fees, which is kind of standard as sometimes those also count as tickets, etc.   However a whopping $14m of it came from school funds.   Only $19.5M of the $85m came from ticket sales and contributions.   Their rights and licensing was the largest category at $42m, and that includes the Pac 12 payout.   

WSU can barely keep the lights on while in the Pac 12 before USC/UCLA left and have been running $10m+ deficits for several years.   No wonder they're dropping "everything is awesome!" quotes to the media every time they ask.

Everything Is Awesome - Everything GIF - Everything EverythingIsAwesome ...

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, DFW Horn said:

I get so tired of reading this crap when neither Corn nor aggy ever voted for equal revenue sharing. How did Mizzery vote? Not that anyone on this board cares.

Fuck Pete Thamel

Haves—UT

NU

KU

OU

aggy

MU

CU

The 5 have nots were opposed-Tech, KSU, OSU, BU, ISU

• Hook 'Em 1

Do y’all remember when MHver3 first hit the scene & the stir he caused? I remember watching college football live at 3pm in the afternoon, and they were running a segment about Florida State & Clemson joining the Big12. He had fabricated this narrative, on a WVU message board, but mainstream media was running with it as if Big12 expansion was imminent. Early social media was wild.

7 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Do y’all remember when MHver3 first hit the scene & the stir he caused? I remember watching college football live at 3pm in the afternoon, and they were running a segment about Florida State & Clemson joining the Big12. He had fabricated this narrative, on a WVU message board, but mainstream media was running with it as if Big12 expansion was imminent. Early social media was wild.

Still throwing stuff around

37028c252d9d04b53d3c94120ce69d0a.png

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I thought that dude died? That tweet is 14 months old. 

Hes still going... the Dude from WV is the one that died I thought... As an example...

Mhver seems to me to be connected to one of the bigger network/sports attorneys that has a heavy B12/Fox slant in the beginning and has gained some "real" sources later on. I have always suspected that he is a passionate fan that is being willingly used to drive a narrative while still providing info. It is obvious where he is blatantly wrong and where the gaps are, but there is always some sliver of truth that crops up from time to time.

What is sad is that outside of the real big names in reporting that follow national realignment, the rumor mongers like him and Swaim have a better track record in the overall scheme of things than the 9.95ers. It really goes to show that the information side of these things is not discussed in the halls of the school's ADs and instead in the ivory tower of the University President and amongst the BOR. That makes getting real information at the local level damn near impossible unless you have an in on the upper levels of the administration side, which isn't something most sports-centric reporters will ever have.

Edited by Laxtonto

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I thought that dude died? That tweet is 14 months old. 

He pinned that tweet to the top of his twitter feed because he wants to rub it in people's faces that he was right about USC and UCLA to the B1G.

Edited by hornian

18 minutes ago, hornian said:

He pinned that tweet to the top of his twitter feed because he wants to rub it in people's faces that he was right about USC and UCLA to the B1G.

Well, you can't blame him.  With so many people speculating and getting things wrong, if you have the receipts you post them!

32 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Hes still going... the Dude from WV is the one that died I thought... As an example...

Mhver seems to me to be connected to one of the bigger network/sports attorneys that has a heavy B12/Fox slant in the beginning and has gained some "real" sources later on. I have always suspected that he is a passionate fan that is being willingly used to drive a narrative while still providing info. It is obvious where he is blatantly wrong and where the gaps are, but there is always some sliver of truth that crops up from time to time.

What is sad is that outside of the real big names in reporting that follow national realignment, the rumor mongers like him and Swaim have a better track record in the overall scheme of things than the 9.95ers. It really goes to show that the information side of these things is not discussed in the halls of the school's ADs and instead in the ivory tower of the University President and amongst the BOR. That makes getting real information at the local level damn near impossible unless you have an in on the upper levels of the administration side, which isn't something most sports-centric reporters will ever have.

I can identify with some of that. 

27 minutes ago, hornian said:

No, I get that. I can twitter. I just thought the poster was citing that tweet as “still going” and just had WVU gossips mixed up. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, I get that. I can twitter. I just thought the poster was citing that tweet as “still going” and just had WVU gossips mixed up. 

Ha no, i meant he didn't end with FSU/Clemson.   I just didn't feel like sorting through his shit, that one was on top.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Getting realignment news, at any level, is just a crap shoot. From a school-specific point, I have gotten several realignment "scoops" at the small conference level just from those I know in academia and various college administrations. That being said, most of them were things said as a mistake or things entrusted to me by those that I know via personal relationships from over the years. You just aren't really going to find that level of access for college sports reporting. Finding PhDs that are passionate about sports, willing to follow up on conference realignment with their peers, and then also willing to share that with people that aren't in that circle to the point that it filters down to the likes of Mhver and Swaim are few and far between. Most information then is going to be 3rd or 4th hand if it is coming from a specific school and should be filtered accordingly. Mhver has some contact at WVU and Swaim at OSU, but it is obvious they dont have a direct tie to the real decision makers.

The only way to end up with this much shit to throw against the wall is then to get it from the conference, the media partners, or the consultants/lawyers that are the go-betweens. It is pretty obvious his "sources" are more slanted in that direction than at the school level.

I am not going to say that Mhver is a super accurate source at all, but he has done more than just 2. The problem is that he reports as fact what pushes his narrative of that that WVU and therefore the B12 by necessity is going to end up in the haves when it is all said and done. Everything else is just fluff and are most likely thrown to him to help push a narrative by his contacts.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:00 PM, FartingDreamer said:

Coaches that coached or graduated from either BYU or the LaVell Edwards era: Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Bryan Billick, Kyle Whittingham, Steve Sarkisian, Norm Chow, Mike Leach, Kalani Sitake, to name a few.

https://magazine.byu.edu/article/man-for-all-seasons/

fair enough - that's a great tree

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So weird to be releasing all this shit.

It's a PR campaign to let donors know they need a lot of help and to start angling for a potential bailout from the state government.  Also there might be some state law that requires them to disclose this information but until now nobody has ever cared enough to pay attention to Washington State financial news.  Best case plausible scenario for the Cougs is the Pac 12 stays together until 2030 or so making at least 25M/year, then Washington gets invited to the B1G and they are forced to pay alimony to Washington State like UCLA and Cal.  That would provide enough time and money to aggressively pay down their debt, rein in spending using realistic projections instead of pie in the sky nonsense and make a smooth transition to the MWC.  If the Pac 12 collapses in the next few weeks Washington State is incredibly fucked.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Blue and Gold dude died. The Dude of West Virginia is alive and well.  After all, Christopher Lambert (his real name-or so he claims) is immortal!

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Blue and Gold dude died. The Dude of West Virginia is alive and well.  After all, Christopher Lambert (his real name-or so he claims) is immortal!

I don’t know about immortal. He has/was/is in poor healthy tied to asthma/decreased lung function. 

For some reason I get all the WVU guys mixed up, and now looking at it it is a bit sad that a large chunk of the realignment rumormongers are all tied to WVU. Is that an indictment on the WVU subculture of desperately wanting to land in a Power conference or a weird happenstance of life…

58 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

For some reason I get all the WVU guys mixed up, and now looking at it it is a bit sad that a large chunk of the realignment rumormongers are all tied to WVU. Is that an indictment on the WVU subculture of desperately wanting to land in a Power conference or a weird happenstance of life…

If I referenced one of the WVU dudes as, 'The one with black lung disease" it wouldn't help delineate who I was talking about.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

I don’t know about immortal. He has/was/is in poor healthy tied to asthma/decreased lung function. 

Probably a bit of column A and a bit of column B.

WVU is one of those schools (like KSU, OK State, Tech, us) that is kind of always sweating out realignment as a result of things they as an institution have no control over, despite having a lot of “give a shit” and doing pretty much what they can to stay in the game.  We all have a certain level of desperation to stay at the table because unlike the other schools (think Pac 12, bottom half ACC) who are at risk, we really fucking care.

Because they were in the old Big East, WVU’s fought this battle longer and harder than its new Big 12 brethren.  They’re chippier and crazier.  Of course that comes with being West Virginian to boot.  So you have a ton of them out there just making shit up like they’re trying to will it into existence.

Then, toss in MHVer occasionally getting one of these wild ass predictions to hit at the right time, and voila.  A mix of desperation and randomness.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, bullet said:

Unless one of the other WVU mountain highland guys takes his head, and with it, his power.  

There can be only one.

• Haha 3