Philly

Gardner Barnes

My usual response to this: Pat's and Geno's are both fine, the cheesesteak isn't exactly the hardest thing to create. But while that intersection at 9th & Passyunk is historic and unique, it's still a bit of a hike from Center City.

So my recs are: Sonny's on Market Street & 3rd; Nick's on 2nd St between Chestnut/Market; Jim's on 4th & South. If you're near City Hall, there's a hole in the wall called Bill's on Sansom between 13th & Broad. But honestly you have great odds of being very happy with just about any independently owned pizza/sub shop.

ETA: Forgot my own go-to which is Lazaro's. Two locations: 18th & South or 7th & Sansom

Edited by Bartles

have a chance to take the wife with me to Philly and Delaware in July on business. I'm not sure how fired up we are about visiting those places vs. other destinations.  Would ya?

I’m in Wilmington now. If you like beer the Dogfish Head brewery tour isn’t bad, or check out their brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

have a chance to take the wife with me to Philly and Delaware in July on business. I'm not sure how fired up we are about visiting those places vs. other destinations.  Would ya?

Wife and I both went to philly for a wedding and came away much more impressed than expected. Great balance of historical stuff and food scene that worked for us. Went to a Phillies game one afternoon as well. I recommend it for 2 or 3 days but not longer.

If "vs. other destinations" means south of France or something, then maybe don't bring her to Phila/DE. But if it's just a cool domestic trip you're after, this is a great area in July. Museums, food, beer, sports, festivals...and a bunch of very nice beach towns 60-90 minutes away. Beaches moreso in south Jersey than Delaware, though there is an easy ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May NJ.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread because the wife and I will be headed to Philly in mid December for about 3.5 days. I'll be at the Loews Hotel in the PSFS building so any cool shit within walking or a quick Uber ride would be appreciated. 

We're hitting up Blue Cross River Rink and a couple of the restaurants there but looking for some other good times, pubs, historical areas worth going. 

TIA

Loews is nice. The bar/restaurant in the lobby is way overpriced, no idea if it's any good. Brand new Iron Hill Brewery is in the next block on Market Street - their other locations are great so I assume this one is decent too.

The trendy food and drink right near there would be 13th Street, just 2-3 blocks from your hotel. El Vez, Barbuzzo, Sampan, Vedge, Charlie Was A Sinner are all in that region. We like a dive-ish place called Franky Bradley's that is just off 13th near Locust. In the past I've recommended McGillin's, also just off 13th near Chestnut and very close to Loews. It is a neat spot but kinda overtaken by young money douches the last couple years.

For lunch and/or dinner a little cheaper but still good, look at Walnut Street on the block between 11th-12th. Moriarty's has great wings and is a fun spot. Destination Dogs has way too elaborate hot dogs but you can customize them down, or get something else. Oloroso is a little pricier but terrific tapas in that same block. Bareburger has great burgers including two meatless options. It will probably be cold, so all of the above is within 5-10 minute walk.

For history, the sweet spot is walking to the 5th & Market area. Independence Hall tours (15-20 mins) are free and lines probably won't be long in December. I think the Liberty Bell is overrated but it's there, you can see it from the outside to save time. Constitution Center is really well done, take your time if you do that one. There's a new Museum of the American Revolution, haven't been but seen mixed reviews so far.

Feel free to ask more...as you can tell I'm pretty familiar with this area 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bartles said:

Loews is nice. The bar/restaurant in the lobby is way overpriced, no idea if it's any good. Brand new Iron Hill Brewery is in the next block on Market Street - their other locations are great so I assume this one is decent too.

The trendy food and drink right near there would be 13th Street, just 2-3 blocks from your hotel. El Vez, Barbuzzo, Sampan, Vedge, Charlie Was A Sinner are all in that region. We like a dive-ish place called Franky Bradley's that is just off 13th near Locust. In the past I've recommended McGillin's, also just off 13th near Chestnut and very close to Loews. It is a neat spot but kinda overtaken by young money douches the last couple years.

For lunch and/or dinner a little cheaper but still good, look at Walnut Street on the block between 11th-12th. Moriarty's has great wings and is a fun spot. Destination Dogs has way too elaborate hot dogs but you can customize them down, or get something else. Oloroso is a little pricier but terrific tapas in that same block. Bareburger has great burgers including two meatless options. It will probably be cold, so all of the above is within 5-10 minute walk.

For history, the sweet spot is walking to the 5th & Market area. Independence Hall tours (15-20 mins) are free and lines probably won't be long in December. I think the Liberty Bell is overrated but it's there, you can see it from the outside to save time. Constitution Center is really well done, take your time if you do that one. There's a new Museum of the American Revolution, haven't been but seen mixed reviews so far.

Feel free to ask more...as you can tell I'm pretty familiar with this area 

Man this is great info, repped.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, Dbeasy said:

I don't know, I haven't seen a picture of your wife.