Why do we Piss away so much money with "DPS / Police Presence" in a "feel good" law and order moment? After the threat has passed on these mass shootings and other stuff?

horn4life

The amount of money wasted is mind blowing.

I watched the mind boggling waste of DPS taxpayer money after Hurricane Harvey. Eight  DPS troopers, parked at an angle on the  beach watching me fish.  That was like a week in a row.  

As I saw the assorted news casts of the horrors, two things drift into my mind.  The massive number of law enforcement that race to the scene of horrific things like this shooting, simply "to be part of it."  Secondly is the cost of a shit ton of law enforcement folks standing around visiting.  I am not saying that i do not understand the desire to "race to the scene" or want to "be a part of the biggest thing that happened here."  Because I do.

But when I see what must have been 4-5 times the law enforcement presence after the fact, as the number of children killed?  And today there are like 3 officers, each representing a different agency standing in front of the memorial for the dead kids.  I just do not understand it.  Today we have lots and lots of police departments showing a presence as schools to make parents and children falsely feel more secure.  A presence that will of course dissipate, long before the next actual theat.

But damn the money in Payroll and "overtime" is fucking HUGE!  Without anything but a pretend feel good moment.  Anyhow I have always been a fiscal conservative with taxpayr money and what contribution does the mass police presence at these events do other than generate overtime for folks not doing a fucking thing?  I mean we had over 100 officers at the Uvalde mass murder and with all those officers, they could not even get the basic details of the crime accurately to the public.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I assume they need a lot of man power to question lots of witnesses etc. but yeah, it always seems excessive

The press conferences where they just congratulate each other for doing their fucking job is what drives me crazy.

This one could get ugly for them

10 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I assume they need a lot of man power to question lots of witnesses etc. but yeah, it always seems excessive

The press conferences where they just congratulate each other for doing their fucking job is what drives me crazy.

This one could get ugly for them

this

if the msm keeps digging and doesn't let go of the timeline, the hangers-on will be scattering like roaches

32 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The amount of money wasted is mind blowing.

I watched the mind boggling waste of DPS taxpayer money after Hurricane Harvey. Eight  DPS troopers, parked at an angle on the  beach watching me fish.  That was like a week in a row.  

As I saw the assorted news casts of the horrors, two things drift into my mind.  The massive number of law enforcement that race to the scene of horrific things like this shooting, simply "to be part of it."  Secondly is the cost of a shit ton of law enforcement folks standing around visiting.  I am not saying that i do not understand the desire to "race to the scene" or want to "be a part of the biggest thing that happened here."  Because I do.

But when I see what must have been 4-5 times the law enforcement presence after the fact, as the number of children killed?  And today there are like 3 officers, each representing a different agency standing in front of the memorial for the dead kids.  I just do not understand it.  Today we have lots and lots of police departments showing a presence as schools to make parents and children falsely feel more secure.  A presence that will of course dissipate, long before the next actual theat.

But damn the money in Payroll and "overtime" is fucking HUGE!  Without anything but a pretend feel good moment.  Anyhow I have always been a fiscal conservative with taxpayr money and what contribution does the mass police presence at these events do other than generate overtime for folks not doing a fucking thing?  I mean we had over 100 officers at the Uvalde mass murder and with all those officers, they could not even get the basic details of the crime accurately to the public.  

It's a carryover from the feel good "security" that the TSA provides.

• Hook 'Em 1

My 70+ year old mother called the police last week when someone was on the porch/patio going through shit at 4am. This was happening live and being caught on multiple cameras.

APD’s response? “Sorry this is happening. Good luck with that. Click”

Barton Hills/Zilker area.

When our stolen car was crashed the cop who showed up didn't even think it was suspicious that an Infiniti SUV was in a shit neighborhood involved in an accident, and the driver got out and ran away.   It was the wrecker service who ran the plates.    

At this point, I simply do not know why they exist outside of being a jobs program for degenerates. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

When our stolen car was crashed the cop who showed up didn't even think it was suspicious that an Infiniti SUV was in a shit neighborhood involved in an accident, and the driver got out and ran away.   It was the wrecker service who ran the plates.    

At this point, I simply do not know why they exist outside of being a jobs program for degenerates. 

Revenue generators.  To be fair, I have known quite a few law enforcement guys who were actually in it to protect and serve.  They aren’t the type who get promoted.  

I find many aspects of law enforcement behavior weird if not anger inducing. For weird, I find it silly how law enforcement want to be called by their titles. Captain This, or Lieutenant That. I'm not in your organization so therefore I have no reason to address you as such. I won't be disrespectful of anyone but I'm not playing your games.

The anger inducing example include the consistent cover-up when any of them are in trouble. The Uvalde police mistakes will be hard to cover up since the public is now too aware of what went down. However the initial DPS press conferences were nothing but praising law enforcement in how they run towards gun fire. They just pulled those lines from the PR playbook.

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

I this the longest thread title ever?

Yes!  I tried to get a letter in for each unneeded officer standing around. Think of the long winding title as the line to your Mom's bedroom... 😉

• Hook 'Em 1