moar! Jon Hamm in leading role...Fargo S5

mchookem

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

For as good as last week's episode was, I thought this one was weak until the last five or ten minutes 

I thought this week's episode absolutely flew by and did a lot of great character building and set up.  There wasn't that much action, but there are a LOT of things being clearly set into motion.

- It's obvious that Gator is going to meet his demise at the hand of Munch

- Lorraine is playing chess to Jon Hamm's checkers

- Lars (the epitome of every shitty stereotypical Minnesotan bro I've ever met) is going to end up being responsible for a lovable character's demise (Scotty or Wayne probably) or severe misfortune

- Dot and Lorraine are going to team up, albeit possibly unintentionally.

- Indira's gonna get a hell of a promotion

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Parliament said:

And Gator is the epitome of every shitty stereotypical North Dakota bro I've ever met.  They all work in the oil field.  (And were born somewhere else.  Probably Minnesota.)

I view Gator is more of a commentary on the average small town cop.

I've known a quite a few, and while most aren't like him, I've met a few and it's a few too many.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lars is about to take a tumble. India should take the big job with Lorraine, get her debt paid off, and divorce him. Of course he complained he needed a wife and then went and put on cologne for his PT session. That kind of chicanery gets one killed on Fargo. Maybe a wood chipper is in his future.

Scotty can beat those tubs!

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Lars is about to take a tumble. India should take the big job with Lorraine, get her debt paid off, and divorce him. Of course he complained he needed a wife and then went and put on cologne for his PT session. That kind of chicanery gets one killed on Fargo. Maybe a wood chipper is in his future.

Scotty can beat those tubs!

I missed that part.

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

He was telling Scotty to leave the drums alone. He went to his locker and told her he was going to PT, that Indira would bring something to eat, and then he put on some cologne.

I remember the scene, I just didn't notice the cologne application. 

I was already sensing the PT was code for an affair after the "wively duty" conversation, but that seals it.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

What's up with Dave's eye patch? I wanna hear that backstory.

I have a feeling ol' Danish is a little tougher than we realize.  Now that I think about it, Hamm's dismissal about him being a "guy named after a pastry" seems like something that could come back to bite him (Hamm) in the ass.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

I think different axis are evolving. Wayne’s fried brain looks like he’ll be playing toy soldiers with his father. Lorraine is now seeing Dot as a stone cold fighter like her thanks to Indira, whom she she’s as perfect to run her security. Sheriff’s about to run into a badass lady buzzsaw.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think different axis are evolving. Wayne’s fried brain looks like he’ll be playing toy soldiers with his father. Lorraine is now seeing Dot as a stone cold fighter like her thanks to Indira, whom she she’s as perfect to run her security. Sheriff’s about to run into a badass lady buzzsaw.

Watching the Sheriff's crew down is going to be extremely satisfying.  They have to be some of the least likeable bad guys in the whole Coenverse.

I felt like early on they were setting him up to have some redeeming sense of justice (when he killed the wife beater for example) but at this point he's just 100% a complete piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the Sheriff's crew down is going to be extremely satisfying.  They have to be some of the least likeable bad guys in the whole Coenverse.
I felt like early on they were setting him up to have some redeeming sense of justice (when he killed the wife beater for example) but at this point he's just 100% a complete piece of shit.

He only killed wife beater to cover up his exposure . Otherwise he didn’t really give a shit

Once again the series hasn't disappointed. Some absolutely amazing scenes. Never been a big fan of JJ Leigh - until now. Her "lunch" with the two bankers was epic. Didn't expect her transformation at the end of the last episode. Hamm's shootout was epic too, reminiscent of Raylan Givens on Justified. Hope they can do these characters justice in the series' final come to Jesus moments.

Lottery Question. Who kills Hamm?....    His shitass son? Dot? Her Goofy Assed Husband? Her Daughter? Lorraine? The Deputy?

Hopefully someone will kill off Lorraine's smarmy lawyer.

11 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Lottery Question. Who kills Hamm?....    His shitass son? Dot? Her Goofy Assed Husband? Her Daughter? Lorraine? The Deputy?

He definitely dies by his own stupidity. The exact manner is yet unknown.

Once again the series hasn't disappointed. Some absolutely amazing scenes. Never been a big fan of JJ Leigh - until now. Her "lunch" with the two bankers was epic. Didn't expect her transformation at the end of the last episode. Hamm's shootout was epic too, reminiscent of Raylan Givens on Justified. Hope they can do these characters justice in the series' final come to Jesus moments.

I’m liking Danish as we move into this. I think we’ll see he’s some kind of badass. That eyepatch comes with a story.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Scotty will kill Hamm. She’s 3rd generation badass female.

Munch is totally killing the shitass son.

I’m caught up. 

Recent Fargo seasons have been guilty of making some characters so intensely unlikeable that it’s obvious they’ll die gruesome deaths. Come on down Season 5’s Gator and Lars!

Lorraine is up there as well, but I doubt Jennifer Jason Leigh signed up for getting stuck in a wood chipper. 

There’s some cool elements in this season, and the last 2 episodes have done a better job of weaving everything together. That said, it’s hard to walk back the Home Alone episode. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Disappointed.

So someone shoots Munch's mannequin, but rather than take action, he decides to jack around inside (apparently) while would-be assassin is in the front breaking windows on his car. Finally comes out only to find his landlady (a fairly tolerant one who was apparently okay with Munch killing her other tenant, or son, or whoever). Landladies that easygoing are hard to find. Time to move, I suppose. He's definitely going after Hamm's son now.

Did Hamm simply refuse to do any scene that might imply child abuse? Wouldn't surprise me, but all of the puppet stuff was a big waste of time. There were better ways to cover the child abuse angle. Quirky doesn't begin to cover the sanctuary story. That was Laura Linney right? More than one question is raised: was the Semi crash an accident or intentional? Is Linney still alive and held captive? Could be. If intentional, that was some great driving - banking the car into Dot just enough to knock her out. Hell of a way to get her back. If intentional, then Hamm knew they were coming so he either was tracking her vehicle (which makes no sense) or he had a spy at the sanctuary.

If accidental, then what, an ambulance had to have been called. Witnesses? Or at least the truck driver? Seemed to me to be really lazy writing - which surprises me.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Did Hamm simply refuse to do any scene that might imply child abuse? Wouldn't surprise me, but all of the puppet stuff was a big waste of time. There were better ways to cover the child abuse angle. Quirky doesn't begin to cover the sanctuary story. That was Laura Linney right? More than one question is raised: was the Semi crash an accident or intentional? Is Linney still alive and held captive? Could be. If intentional, that was some great driving - banking the car into Dot just enough to knock her out. Hell of a way to get her back. If intentional, then Hamm knew they were coming so he either was tracking her vehicle (which makes no sense) or he had a spy at the sanctuary.

If accidental, then what, an ambulance had to have been called. Witnesses? Or at least the truck driver? Seemed to me to be really lazy writing - which surprises me.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Disappointed.
So someone shoots Munch's mannequin, but rather than take action, he decides to jack around inside (apparently) while would-be assassin is in the front breaking windows on his car. Finally comes out only to find his landlady (a fairly tolerant one who was apparently okay with Munch killing her other tenant, or son, or whoever). Landladies that easygoing are hard to find. Time to move, I suppose. He's definitely going after Hamm's son now.

Are you calling Linda Laura Linney? That’s Kari Matchett. I think it’s all a dream. Linda was all fuzzy in the car with Dot. I think Linda is dead and buried on the land.

I thought the dude in the rocking chair was the “landlord/son” that munch put there and he got his melon punched.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Roy has got to be the vilest villain in the Coenverse.  His death is going to be absolutely gratifying.

As others have said, I have some sympathy for Gator.  His mom abandoned him and he was raised by a sociopath, but he's still an irredeemable piece of shit.

I thought it was a great episode.

48 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The camp thing was a dream?

Yes it was a dream. 

"I'm Your Puppet" played on the car radio as Dot pulled into the diner, the Camp Utopia postcard for sale at the diner counter, a chicken piccata recipe and flyer for a doll fair on the bulletin board right beside the table. 

No that was not Laura Linney playing Linda. It was Tina Yothers.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Are you calling Linda Laura Linney? That’s Kari Matchett. I think it’s all a dream. Linda was all fuzzy in the car with Dot. I think Linda is dead and buried on the land.

I thought the dude in the rocking chair was the “landlord/son” that munch put there and he got his melon punched.

You're right. It's Matchett. Still looking good at 53 y.o.  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0558182/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Linney is 59. I thought "facelift" when I first saw it.

And yeah, it makes sense Munch would stick the first body he had handy in the rocker - that would be the asshole kid. If there was one thing that made sense in that episode, it was Munch and the axe. I wondered at the time, what in the hell he was doing giving that guy a big wad of cash and then letting him walk away. (Reminded me of the woodchipper sequence in the movie.) Guess he sent the old lady out for groceries. Missed out on a good home-cooked meal.

I think Munch just didn't really expect the killer to hang out as long as he did.  I figured at first that the money in the car was a trap, but I just think it goes to show how little Munch care about it.

His slipping on the opportunity to crush Gator was out of character, but we still have 3 episodes left and I figure they wanted to build a little more suspense.  Plus, killing the old woman makes Gator even less likable.

• Like 1

So we got a scene with Gator shooting one guy, then killing an old lady, and being a dipshit the whole time.  And yet at the end of the episode we feel bad for him.  Roy gets like a 5 second cameo at the end, that's it.  No other Jon Hamm, and yet he becomes one of the most evil Coen characters.  Damn that's some good TV.

Edited by Parliament
  • Like 2