moar! Jon Hamm in leading role...Fargo S5

mchookem

Huh. Well I did see that but it looked like a heavy dump truck with a .50 cal mounted in the in the bed.  My powers of observation are slipping. Thx

I thought it was a dump truck too. I believe in reality the feds would have brought another hundred agents, choppers, APCs , and crossed into the land at distant points and come up behind and from flanks., not a pure frontal attack. Heavy smoke and shock and awe.

Most of those yahoos were going to find out the AR they bought at Cabela’s ain’t the same as a military automatic rifle. I’m sure some has mil spec weaponry since Pa in law was stealing shit.

Oher missed opportunities, by the way. How 'bout a news broadcast talking about all the bodies they found under that tank. Famous people, or politicians dating back to the last century - a Tillman family tradition, perhaps - D.B. Cooper? Maybe dot coulda seen a fucking football field full of corpses down in that hole. Fun stuff. None of that shit was real, by the way, IMHO. Same with most of the other seasons.

They definitely dropped the ball on Indira's storyline.  Instead we get a whole episode on Dot's dream and Linda's doll sanctuary. Half a show on musical hospital beds. A lot of parts were incredibly creative and interesting, then it would be like WTF?

One more thing -- we saw Dot drop the accent when sitting with Lorraine at the breakfast table in the first or second episode.

After everything she went through that everyone knew about after the ordeal, she just kept doing the accent?

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

One more thing -- we saw Dot drop the accent when sitting with Lorraine at the breakfast table in the first or second episode.

After everything she went through that everyone knew about after the ordeal, she just kept doing the accent?

that was for wayne and scotty.  only lorraine knew.  secrets make the relationship stronger.  that was also the moment lorraine was forced to reevaluate her.

side question - they mentioned more than once that hamm spent too much govt $ on shit he didn't need, and they specifically brought up a tank (i think).  did they have the tank at the big end showdown?  you probably don't need a tank, but if you already bought one, that would seem the time to roll her out.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Oher missed opportunities, by the way. How 'bout a news broadcast talking about all the bodies they found under that tank. Famous people, or politicians dating back to the last century - a Tillman family tradition, perhaps - D.B. Cooper? Maybe dot coulda seen a fucking football field full of corpses down in that hole. Fun stuff. None of that shit was real, by the way, IMHO. Same with most of the other seasons.

They definitely dropped the ball on Indira's storyline.  Instead we get a whole episode on Dot's dream and Linda's doll sanctuary. Half a show on musical hospital beds. A lot of parts were incredibly creative and interesting, then it would be like WTF?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i6yu4otabmxx61a3u5

• Haha 3

Season 5 was everything that a great Fargo is supposed to be.  If you don't like this season, you don't like Fargo.  And that's OK.  

I agree but I’d like another six episodes to explore more with Indira and Lorraine, danish’s backstory, Roy’s Pa in laws militia, and hopefully a comic demise for Lars.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:28 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Dot dropping the accent is weird.  North Dakota (where she grew up) has an indistinguishable accent from Minnesota, so even though she was pretending to be someone else, if this were real life that girl from buttfuck ND is going to sound a lot like someone from Scandia, MN.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:22 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Why do the entire Jon Hamm has nipple rings and bedroom sex chest if that doesn't come into play later in the story? What's the line about if you introduce a gun in the first act it better be part of the third act?

What more did you need to know or see? He's a sadist through his entire existence. What scene would you add with this stuff? A nipple ring isn't a gun in the sense that it necessarisy raises an expectation of an important event to come.

I started to write a response to Irish Wrist Watch but saw there was little point. I truly admire the passion in the errant observations, opinions, and narrative suggestions.

The show was fantastic. I, too, didn't look at this thread until it was over. Evidently I missed something very important: there was a dream sequence.

If it was all a dream, why was Dot in the hospital in the next episode? There are so many fatastical elements to these stories, I didn't read that it was a dream. The ending with the truck smashing through the parking lot was inexplicable, but I assumed it was the woman realizing the danger of returning and escaping by any means.

Seems the consensus is that my take is way off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, RomaVicta said:

What more did you need to know or see? He's a sadist through his entire existence. What scene would you add with this stuff? A nipple ring isn't a gun in the sense that it necessarisy raises an expectation of an important event to come.

I started to write a response to Irish Wrist Watch but saw there was little point. I truly admire the passion in the errant observations, opinions, and narrative suggestions.

The show was fantastic. I, too, didn't look at this thread until it was over. Evidently I missed something very important: there was a dream sequence.

If it was all a dream, why was Dot in the hospital in the next episode? There are so many fatastical elements to these stories, I didn't read that it was a dream. The ending with the truck smashing through the parking lot was inexplicable, but I assumed it was the woman realizing the danger of returning and escaping by any means.

That part was not a dream. She was dreaming while sitting at the table. Everything with the first wife/the camp/the puppet was a dream had in the restaurant.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

All the great shows leave you wanting more.  And in most cases your imagination tells a better story than any prequel attempt. There are exceptions of course.  But I’ll skip a Better Call Saul if I don’t hafta see an Star Wars 1,2,3.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That part was not a dream. She was dreaming while sitting at the table. Everything with the first wife/the camp/the puppet was a dream had in the restaurant.

Thanks. Thought I might be losing it.

ETA So the truck smashing the car was just random?

Edited by RomaVicta

Just housed this whole season. Wonderful. Didn’t like how stupid and foreseeable Whit’s death was but otherwise, few complaints. Loved Munch and the communion ending. Danish pantsing Tillman at the debate and then slowly (too late) beginning to understand what he’s dealing with.

stupid confession- they talked about the Indian cop and I assumed feather for the whole show.

also, obviously there are Fargo and coen references throughout the series, but I feel like it was heavy in this one, which was cool. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the kidnapping sequence but with a Tiger instead of a lump of hot dish.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I just rewatched the final scene (below) and realized it's 17 minutes long. For me, that one scene elevated season 5 to a masterpiece because it brings all of the thematic threads AND the last remaining unresolved subplot into resolution. It's beautiful, but more to the point, it's necessary and not one moment or shot was wasted. It's the longest scene of the season (maybe the show?) and ironically the most economical. 

It's also puts an interesting perspective on No Country for Old Men 

Reveal hidden contents

It's also sort of alternative ending for Anton Chigurh, if he had found a way let Carla Jean live. He's ruled by the coin, Ole Munch, let's the coin  go. 

Great post. Great.

On 1/23/2024 at 8:39 AM, Celery Man said:

stupid confession- they talked about the Indian cop and I assumed feather for the whole show.

i assumed that as well due to the area of the country, even knowing she was indian in real life (dot).  indira is also an indian name (not feather), so i wouldn't feel too stupid about it.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:16 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I agree but I’d like another six episodes to explore more with Indira and Lorraine, danish’s backstory, Roy’s Pa in laws militia, and hopefully a comic demise for Lars.

I'd like to take some more time to explore Indira.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i assumed that as well due to the area of the country, even knowing she was indian in real life (dot).  indira is also an indian name (not feather), so i wouldn't feel too stupid about it.

I've never met a dot Indian in Minnesota that wasn't either a highly trained medical professional, or the proprietor of a run down gas station that only still existed because it was more than 20 miles from the nearest Kwik Trip.  I think you'd be more likely to find a Native American cop there.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I'd like to take some more time to explore Indira.  

Lars was such a fuckin' dink.

• Hook 'Em 1

Binged it over the past 4 days. Hamm was a great casting choice. Only having seen her before in Ted Lasso, I had no idea Juno Temple was such a great actor. Season 5 was comical and absolutely brutal but they cleverly managed to avoid being too dark.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2024 at 3:28 AM, TOR said:

Stunt nipples.

Is Juno kind of weird hot, or is that all personality?

You have to watch "The Offer".  For whatever reason, Juno was just turn-me-on hot in that show, way moreso than she was in Ted Lasso.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:39 AM, Celery Man said:

also, obviously there are Fargo and coen references throughout the series, but I feel like it was heavy in this one, which was cool. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the kidnapping sequence but with a Tiger instead of a lump of hot dish.

I read this season as a sort of re-telling of the movie, except you replace idiotic guys with capable and determined women.  This is how the story changes.  It's not 1-1, of course, but it was a really great season.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:36 PM, Chopper said:

Binged it over the past 4 days. Hamm was a great casting choice. Only having seen her before in Ted Lasso, I had no idea Juno Temple was such a great actor. Season 5 was comical and absolutely brutal but they cleverly managed to avoid being too dark.

Over the past couple of months, I have watched seasons 2-5 in order.  I watched season 2 and 3 when they aired but had never watched season 4 (it was not good).  I "binged" season 5 over the past week and a half or so and really enjoyed it, but man i couldn't disagree more that it was comical and not too dark.  I thought it was easily the darkest season of the show and that up until the final scene there really wasn't much comedy to it (wayne made the final scene funny in the way that fargo is typically funny).  there were some moments late in the season where i almost thought it was too dark and hamm's character was easily the most despicable character in the fargo cannon.

that's not to say i didn't enjoy the season, because i did, but man i feel like i watched a different show than you did.

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

I thought it was easily the darkest season of the show and that up until the final scene there really wasn't much comedy to it

That's a lot of Fargo to watch b2b. It's been a few weeks since I've watched s5 and I'm in no position to compare it to previous seasons because I haven't re-watched any -- so I'll defer to you. As for adding levity and comedic elements the things I can recall I picked up on of off the top of my head

Spoiler

-The mere casting of Dapper Don in the role of sheriff (what I read from it was that his story wasn't going to be the main theme), his nipple rings and the way he keeps getting cut down to size throughout the season

-the soundtrack

-a county sheriff's over-the-top activities in 2 states go basically entirely unchallenged

-the Home Alone-like scene and booby traps

-the goofy and hapless husband

-the beatings the deputies and others continually took from a 110 lb woman, and the way she disappeared and later emerged barefoot cooking pancakes early in the season

-the way you could see the way the sheriff's visit to the Matriarch had entirely backfired and provided vital info that would lead her to support the daughter in law