moar! Jon Hamm in leading role...Fargo S5

mchookem

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Just finished season 1 again myself.

I rewatched to guage if Malvo is a more despicable bad guy than Sherrif Roy.  Probably  a discussion worth having once season 5 finishes and we have body counts and womens beaten numbers in.

My preliminary feeling is that the sherrif is worse: serial woman abuser and kills for no reason sometimes.

Malvo is an opportunist kind of does extra assholish things for no reason just to make trouble.

Yeah, I was having the same argument in my brain and I landed in the same place.  Malvo is almost entertaining in as much as his victims aren't very sympathetic characters, and his methods are quite clever.  Tillman rapes teenage orphans.  They are not the same.

I'll have to finish Season 1 and let Season 5 run it's course, but Tillman might be the biggest piece of shit I've ever witnessed on screen.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Tillman is worse because he’s not a cartoon.  Put him in the real world and he’d still be a statutory rapist/abuser.  Put Malvo in the real world and he’d quickly be arrested for harassing/trespassing/being a weirdo.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I was having the same argument in my brain and I landed in the same place.  Malvo is almost entertaining in as much as his victims aren't very sympathetic characters, and his methods are quite clever.  Tillman rapes teenage orphans.  They are not the same.

I'll have to finish Season 1 and let Season 5 run it's course, but Tillman might be the biggest piece of shit I've ever witnessed on screen.

Malvo also has this mythical demonic quality about him that is pretty obvious with his scripture quoting, temptations, and biblical allusions so he is almost not human and does not belong even in the same category of bad guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Malvo also has this mythical demonic quality about him that is pretty obvious with his scripture quoting, temptations, and biblical allusions so he is almost not human and does not belong even in the same category of bad guy.

Yes, exactly.  Malvo comes off almost like some of the old quasi-playful descriptions of the Devil.  He's such a totally fictional character.

There are Roy Tillman's out there, and that makes it worse.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:30 PM, Not a cat said:

You a little fella?  Kinda funny looking?

And it's too late to edit original post but Scandia is NE of the cities, not NW like I put for some reason.  Don't need a bunch of Minnesotans correcting me passive aggressively.

Dontcha know?

Edited by DDD Dad

9 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Seriously thought Roy was going to shoot Gator, and the YMCA scene gave me a good laugh.

It was the perfect way to take the piss out of that entire movement.

Final episode predictions?

I'm extremely torn on who kills Roy.  With Gator still kicking, and being disowned, it feels like he's in the mix - there have been a lot of things coming together to set up his turn against Roy.  Obviously Dot doing it would be extremely cathartic for her character.  Munch seems like he has some unfinished business.  Scotty doing it would be awesome, but at this point her and Wayne aren't going to be brought to the ranch before shit hits the fan - she's out.  I really don't think it's Lorraine.  She doesn't do that sort of thing directly, and Indira will be at her side.

Maybe Witt?  I feel like his arc is being set up to save Dot the way she saved him?  Maybe he's taking care of that by just bringing in the tactical team?

Gonna be a hell of a finale.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:44 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Yes, exactly.  Malvo comes off almost like some of the old quasi-playful descriptions of the Devil.  He's such a totally fictional character.

There are Roy Tillman's out there, and that makes it worse.

The Fargo show has a ton of Coen allusions, and Malvo is clearly a giant nod to Chigurh 

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

The Fargo show has a ton of Coen allusions, and Malvo is clearly a giant nod to Chigurh 

Agreed.  A bit more impish, but his whole bit with the line of weird questioning that he insists on giving strangers was 100% Chigurh.

And I'm in the last episode of Season 1 right now.  After Malvo's exchange with Lou at the diner, I'm quite sure he's supposed to be Satan.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  A bit more impish, but his whole bit with the line of weird questioning that he insists on giving strangers was 100% Chigurh.

And I'm in the last episode of Season 1 right now.  After Malvo's exchange with Lou at the diner, I'm quite sure he's supposed to be Satan.

He's a throwback to both Chigurh and Judge Holden; embodiments of evil who roam the earth operating by a code 

Just finished Season 1 and loved it.  Lester's end was unsatisfying, if only because it had absolutely no connection to everything else - seemed kinda random to me.  I wonder if his brother ever got an appeal?  Malvo's end was fitting.

Just now, RPM said:

It's going to be a female. My money is on the female FBI Agent or his current wife.

Current wife is a solid guess, but I just don't think she's ever turning.  She's ride or die (and she's probably dying).

I still think there's a purpose to Gator still being alive.

Roy wife 3 is a true believer in the cause having been raised in her father’s neo-Nazi household and organization, and its lore of gotterdamerung and Waco, Ruby Ridge, and other martyrs. Dad is likely an identity church member and believes in the catalytic battle to set off the rebellion against the government. Hence she knows her fate is victory or death. She’ll go down just like Goebbels wife or Marcilene Jones.

I think it’s a Roy vs Dot showdown.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Final episode predictions?

I'm extremely torn on who kills Roy.  With Gator still kicking, and being disowned, it feels like he's in the mix - there have been a lot of things coming together to set up his turn against Roy.  Obviously Dot doing it would be extremely cathartic for her character.  Munch seems like he has some unfinished business.  Scotty doing it would be awesome, but at this point her and Wayne aren't going to be brought to the ranch before shit hits the fan - she's out.  I really don't think it's Lorraine.  She doesn't do that sort of thing directly, and Indira will be at her side.

Maybe Witt?  I feel like his arc is being set up to save Dot the way she saved him?  Maybe he's taking care of that by just bringing in the tactical team?

Gonna be a hell of a finale.

i joked earlier about it being his current wife, but indira makes the most sense structurally.  it would complete her arc.

munch seems like he just finished his business.  he was hired to handle the tiger and the tiger is free.

• Like 1

I liked Lorraine's pep talk, but felt like too little too late. Wanted to see  more of her character. Figure there'll be some kind of epilogue with Dot as Lorraine's Second in Command, kicking ass in a board room as Lorraine proudly looks on. Too good a character to get a half dozen lines in the climax.

Also thought the "underground scene" could have been more.  Save it for the grand finale. Roy falls in the hole, a nasty battle ensues. Her heading off with a rifle feels like a hiding in the closet loop. 

my complaint is with her brutal hiding spot.  i figured for sure she'd get under danish's corpse.  they're not going to look there.  but where she was, if the goal was to kill her (which was hamm's order), she dead.  they had guns and she had a hammer or whatever the fuck and was 8 feet down.

yeah, munch saved the day, but otherwise, seemed out of character.

• Hook 'Em 3

ok...so as Roy was looking through the 'dugout', whatever that was (looked like a tunnel to somewhere...)...there's a dead animal, a sheep? or dog?? and there was like a transparent demon face or something hovering over it for a few seconds, like in The Exorcist...y'all see that or did i hallucinate?? wtf

i can't remember from S1, maybe since @Al_4_ISU just finished it you can recall...was there an obvious supernatural moment? 🤔 obviously we had the UFO in S2...i didn't watch S3-4 so don't know there, just wondering if maybe there's a small element in each season. 

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

ok...so as Roy was looking through the 'dugout', whatever that was (looked like a tunnel to somewhere...)...there's a dead animal, a sheep? or dog?? and there was like a transparent demon face or something hovering over it for a few seconds, like in The Exorcist...y'all see that or did i hallucinate?? wtf

i can't remember from S1, maybe since @Al_4_ISU just finished it you can recall...was there an obvious supernatural moment? 🤔 obviously we had the UFO in S2...i didn't watch S3-4 so don't know there, just wondering if maybe there's a small element in each season. 

I thought the most supernatural part of Season 1 was either the fish tornado or the exchange with Malvo and Lou at the diner.

Not as on the nose as Season 2 in that regard.

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

I watched it last night. I assumed that was what was left of the body of the guy from the hospital and the image was Roy’s recollection of him as he looked at it but it didn’t make sense because that guy got killed in the shed, not that “dugout. 🤷🏻

5 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

What happened to Dot's rifle?  She left with one then got into the well.   Guys show up and all she has is a hammer.

She stupidly left it laying out.  Bowman found it right before they opened the grave.

It made zero sense for her to leave the rifle out there. I said it out loud when she got in the hole without it, "Way to leave the rifle, dumbass." She's going to McGiver / Home Alone some shit with an old bone instead? What the hell? It also was a little stupid that you have to use that lever that stops the windmill to get into the grave. That's a deadass giveaway from 100 yards away that something is amiss. Minor plot holes but annoying and sloppy nonetheless.

Still loved the episode, though.

• Hook 'Em 3

I was thinking about how dumb it was of her to leave the gun out, and how it's out of character.

But is it?  Dot has done dumb shit this whole time.  Refusing to accept help that could EASILY bring Roy down, while constantly lying about what's going on when it's completely obvious that she's trapped in said lie.  She is an absolute badass, but she's also had a dipshit streak running through the character all season.  It's really not that inconsistent with her character to just give them an easy chance to kill her.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree loved the episode and series so far, that one scene though was sloppy.

Speaking of reading through the thread, I have only seen season 1, and honestly barely remember it.   Sounds like 1 & 2 would be worth a watch once this wraps up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Ted Lange said:

Speaking of reading through the thread, I have only seen season 1, and honestly barely remember it.   Sounds like 1 & 2 would be worth a watch once this wraps up.

I love both.  I'll probably churn out 3 and 4 this winter even though I haven't talked to anyone who really liked either.

I got all the way through Season 1 before I realized that Lou was the deputy from Season 2 and that final standoff was the Sioux Falls incident.

31 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

1-2 are great.  3 was very good.  4 had its moments, and i can't honestly remember what i specifically disliked about it, but it just wasn't up to the fargo standard.

56 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was thinking about how dumb it was of her to leave the gun out, and how it's out of character.

But is it?  Dot has done dumb shit this whole time.  Refusing to accept help that could EASILY bring Roy down, while constantly lying about what's going on when it's completely obvious that she's trapped in said lie.  She is an absolute badass, but she's also had a dipshit streak running through the character all season.  It's really not that inconsistent with her character to just give them an easy chance to kill her.

Yeah, she is a badass through fighting for sheer survival, but she was very young when Roy got her and I think she still has some naiveté. Still makes dumb mistakes/decisions.

34 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Yeah, she is a badass through fighting for sheer survival, but she was very young when Roy got her and I think she still has some naiveté. Still makes dumb mistakes/decisions.

she also seemed to have quite the reaction to being back in that bedroom, which as we learned later, hasn't been changed at all, right down to the filthy sheets, which, gross.

there's a decent chance she's not quite herself, or at least not quite dot the tiger we've seen the first 8 eps.  she's a combo of dot the tiger and nadine the girl who was basically abducted into this horror movie in her teens.  she's shown some instinct, and some shock, so i don't know if i would call it sloppy or inconsistent.  i'm just assuming that's what they were going for.

the rifle is a little silly since leaving it didn't cost her anything.  i still think there were better hiding places.  like someone said - it would be visible from 5 football fields away that someone had swung the gear and stopped the windmill, yet she immediately thought of it when she was told to hide someplace they wouldn't think to look.

12 hours ago, mchookem said:

I think Munch being a supernatural sin eater from the middle ages qualifies for season 5.

Also, I am assuming Jr is now blind?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, huge said:

And munch handed it back to her after he used it to dispatch one of the shitheads.

And I would have set the scopeless bolt action back on the ground and picked up the freshly dropped AR.

• Like 2