moar! Jon Hamm in leading role...Fargo S5

mchookem

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And in both the movie and this season the couple who experienced the kidnapping have a dynamic of one coming from wealth, and the other not coming from wealth.  The wealthy family is a side character in both stories.

The kidnappers in both cases are a large, stoic, European man, and a smaller American man with a mustache.

In both stories the abductions happen in suburban Minneapolis, and the abductors take the victims west out on to the plains.

Both stories feature a strong willed female police officer investigating the crimes, who has to come home to deadbeat-ish/layabout husbands.

Ok, I'll quit.

I was with you until the bolded.  How dare you slander Norm Gunderson like that!  The Norm/Margie dynamic in the film was the one ray of light in an otherwise dark film.  I mean, the man insisted on getting up and making Marge breakfast, even when it was ridiculously early!  He brought her lunch!  He paints mallards!

Presuming you are comparing Wayne Lyon to Norm Gunderson, I'd also note that the "strong willed female police officer investigating the crimes" is not a featured character in Season 5.

Wayne Lyon is no Norm Gunderson.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, someguy said:

I was with you until the bolded.  How dare you slander Norm Gunderson like that!  The Norm/Margie dynamic in the film was the one ray of light in an otherwise dark film.  I mean, the man insisted on getting up and making Marge breakfast, even when it was ridiculously early!  He brought her lunch!  He paints mallards!

Presuming you are comparing Wayne Lyon to Norm Gunderson, I'd also note that the "strong willed female police officer investigating the crimes" is not a featured character in Season 5.

Wayne Lyon is no Norm Gunderson.  

I’m comparing Norm Gunderson to the lady cop’s unemployed husband who wants to be a professional golfer in Season 5.  I didn’t catch their names.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m comparing Norm Gunderson to the lady cop’s unemployed husband who wants to be a professional golfer in Season 5.  I didn’t catch their names.

My mistake - I forgot all about that guy, even with his cringeworthy golf swing.

Of course, that is an even more slanderous comparison to my guy Normie.

My mistake - I forgot all about that guy, even with his cringeworthy golf swing.
Of course, that is an even more slanderous comparison to my guy Normie.

Norm’s a good shit, but Marge brought home the bacon. All I’m saying.

In the Midwest, especially in the 90’s, guys like Norm were viewed as lacking ambition, which is the greatest sin this society has.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Norm’s a good shit, but Marge brought home the bacon. All I’m saying.

In the Midwest, especially in the 90’s, guys like Norm were viewed as lacking ambition, which is the greatest sin this society has.

but Norm was a police officer too!  He voluntarily stepped aside when Margie got pregnant because they decided only one of them should be on the force and he - correctly - determined that Margie was the better officer.

I'm not trying to pick a fight.  Your point is well made and understood.  I just love Fargo (the film) and am having a little fun defending one of my favorite minor characters.

Norm could at least paint nice mallards. And dote on his wife. That lady cop should take her nightstick and beat her lowlife husband in hopes of giving him a decent golf swing. That was worse than Elaine Benes’ dry heave dancing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

but Norm was a police officer too!  He voluntarily stepped aside when Margie got pregnant because they decided only one of them should be on the force and he - correctly - determined that Margie was the better officer.
I'm not trying to pick a fight.  Your point is well made and understood.  I just love Fargo (the film) and am having a little fun defending one of my favorite minor characters.

Love to find the Fargo (film) people. Not the “it’s a great movie” people, the “top 5-10 all time” people.

Norm Son Of A Gunderson is great.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Fun to watch Juno Temple do her Kevin McAllister impersonation in this last episode... Wonder how she'd have explained it if she'd shot Hamm's son? 

The death eater storyline is really curious... Creepy as hell 

The sin eater guy made Trix tap out on the series. Creeped her out too much. 

Ringer’s The Watch had a pretty good breakdown of Episode 3. Just too much shit going on. “Felt like they put the whole storyboard in one episode.” I’d agree. The sin eater stuff was very cool. Just make a season about a weirdo immortal Scottish assassin. Everybody is happy. FX has produced much stranger shows. 

Instead… we get Juno Temple as Kevin from Home Alone and Jon Hamm as the Marlboro man. 

Every season has gotten worse with a cliff drop after Season 2. 

I’m not sure there’s a fix here. The Coen Bros aren’t really interested in making movies right now. They’ll never touch TV. Noah Hawley is lost. Maybe a Billy Bob prequel would work, but he’s not getting any younger and he’s needs to be in it for it to work.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:06 PM, wutang75 said:

Love to find the Fargo (film) people. Not the “it’s a great movie” people, the “top 5-10 all time” people.

Norm Son Of A Gunderson is great.

i never hesitate in the slightest to answer 'what's your favorite movie?'...absolutely and unquestionably my #1 ever.

I can't stand her dreadful transatlantic accent tho.  It doesn't fit the show in any way.  I can't believe the director signed off on that.  

Agreed on that. Some of these Midwestern accents are ridiculous too. Lars the Golfer just sounds like someone trying to make fun of Minnesota and going over the top.

We can only hope. Usually ubercringey aggravating spouses like this meet a bad end in Fargo. His will likely involve a four iron.

I think his wife the sheriff will end up with some role of protecting or blackmailing Lorraine so that somehow she gets all her debts erased and can move on from dilbert badswing.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:57 PM, bschoolprof said:

I can't stand her dreadful transatlantic accent tho.  It doesn't fit the show in any way.  I can't believe the director signed off on that.  

I was hoping this was going to end up a plot point. It sounds like she's trying to effect the "New England Old Money" style accent (think Katherine Hepburn in "Philadelphia Story"). This was basically a form of the English "Received Pronunciation" that posh Brits would be taught in their exclusive educational institutions. Wealthy New Englanders adopted it to ape the landed gentry.

JJL is doing such a terrible job of it that I'm suspecting it must be on purpose.

Spoiler

"You're in the one house in this state that I know my grand-daughter ain't at!"

On 12/18/2023 at 7:57 PM, bschoolprof said:

On 12/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed on that. Some of these Midwestern accents are ridiculous too. Lars the Golfer just sounds like someone trying to make fun of Minnesota and going over the top.

On 12/18/2023 at 8:14 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Her accent reminds me of the accent that Ruth Ozark used as Anna Delvey. 

33 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I was hoping this was going to end up a plot point. It sounds like she's trying to effect the "New England Old Money" style accent (think Katherine Hepburn in "Philadelphia Story"). This was basically a form of the English "Received Pronunciation" that posh Brits would be taught in their exclusive educational institutions. Wealthy New Englanders adopted it to ape the landed gentry.

JJL is doing such a terrible job of it that I'm suspecting it must be on purpose.

Reveal hidden contents

"You're in the one house in this state that I know my grand-daughter ain't at!"

FFS, she's doing the exact same voice she used in The Hudsucker Proxy. You really need to turn in your Coen cards.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1