2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah this is what I’m thinking. Or he’s a Tennessee troll 

I think he’s referring to BurntOrange&White not knowing shit because that’s who HookEm2147 was replying to in the post quoted. I don’t understand how I’m a Tenn troll if I know that Skenes told a couple of our guys who were trying to get him here that he saw Tenn as a better fit for him. 

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Or Sean Allen. Or anyone on our team besides Hansen, Melendez, Faltine or silas. And I may be giving him too much credit 

That's giving BO&W too much credit. He openly mocks people that watch Texas sports other than football. 

He probably didn't even watch Texas baseball this year and now he's trying to act like an authority on all things Texas baseball. It's hilarious but a good way to sum up that idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

I think he’s referring to BurntOrange&White not knowing shit because that’s who HookEm2147 was replying to in the post quoted. I don’t understand how I’m a Tenn troll if I know that Skenes told a couple of our guys who were trying to get him here that he saw Tenn as a better fit for him. 

Yeah I just don’t trust you….yet. Keeping my eye on you, scumbag. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's giving BO&W too much credit. He openly mocks people that watch Texas sports other than football. 

He probably didn't even watch Texas baseball this year and now he's trying to act like an authority on all things Texas baseball. It's hilarious but a good way to sum up that idiot. 

Seriously. 

hurrrr durrr baseball, volleyball, softball, track and swimming means we’re gonna suck in football!!!!! Who cares anyways!?!? It’s all about football!!!!

*checks in here*

Locker room turmoil!!!! Everyone hates Pierce!!!! Obviously!!! I watched highlights once and the team clearly doesn’t respect him!!!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Childress is a no go. Not sure if he was offered or if it was just preliminary conversations to gauge interest, but he's staying at Nebraska.

Cool with me. You know who all is on the list? And what capacity Alaniz is gonna fill ;)?

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Childress is a no go. Not sure if he was offered or if it was just preliminary conversations to gauge interest, but he's staying at Nebraska.

Make  Brown from Vandy say no? Or a Juco / HS Coach more of a probability?

1 minute ago, davi34 said:

Make  Brown from Vandy say no? Or a Juco / HS Coach more of a probability?

I feel like I follow college baseball pretty closely, but I can't honestly say I know the assistant coaching world well outside of a handful of names.

This is my opinion, but I don't think it's going to be some big splashy name. Pierce is involved with the pitching and will likely continue to be involved with the pitching, which probably means a hot-shot pitching coach isn't going to come here if he's not the sole decision maker on all things pitching. This isn't a Jay Johnson situation where the dude doesn't have a clue about having a good pitching staff so he is just going to hire the best pitching coach he can and get out of the way. There are plenty of qualified pitching coaches who could come here and do very well with the type of arms we have, but it likely means we aren't pulling a sitting pitching coach at another powerhouse program.

More than anything, we need someone who can give us a little credibility on the recruiting trail when we are in these recruiting battles for pitchers considering the big names and also help maximize the young arms we have returning next year (Sthele, Harrison, Duplantier, LBJ). Allen was a really good volume recruiter who brought in a lot of good players, but when it came time to sit down in the video room and talk about the ins and outs of pitching from a mindset, mechanical and developmental standpoint, I question if we were maximizing in that regard. A pitcher has to know his own stuff, how his pitches play off one another, how to set up hitters, how to make a mechanical tweak on the mound in the middle of the game to prevent things from spiraling. If the new pitching coach can do that, we will be alright. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I feel like I follow college baseball pretty closely, but I can't honestly say I know the assistant coaching world well outside of a handful of names.

This is my opinion, but I don't think it's going to be some big splashy name. Pierce is involved with the pitching and will likely continue to be involved with the pitching, which probably means a hot-shot pitching coach isn't going to come here if he's not the sole decision maker on all things pitching. This isn't a Jay Johnson situation where the dude doesn't have a clue about having a good pitching staff so he is just going to hire the best pitching coach he can and get out of the way. There are plenty of qualified pitching coaches who could come here and do very well with the type of arms we have, but it likely means we aren't pulling a sitting pitching coach at another powerhouse program.

More than anything, we need someone who can give us a little credibility on the recruiting trail when we are in these recruiting battles for pitchers considering the big names and also help maximize the young arms we have returning next year (Sthele, Harrison, Duplantier, LBJ). Allen was a really good volume recruiter who brought in a lot of good players, but when it came time to sit down in the video room and talk about the ins and outs of pitching from a mindset, mechanical and developmental standpoint, I question if we were maximizing in that regard. A pitcher has to know his own stuff, how his pitches play off one another, how to set up hitters, how to make a mechanical tweak on the mound in the middle of the game to prevent things from spiraling. If the new pitching coach can do that, we will be alright. 

Yeah I can see some dude from the juco ranks then bring in Alaniz and let Pierce split time between all 3 pitching, fielding and hitting 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Also any chance at all Kash withdrawals his name from the portal or nah?

Feel conflicted. If he doesn’t wanna be here then fuck off, but he’s talented as shit and his swing reminds me of Kyle Russell 

Am I mistaken or does Kash have a little trouble with the breaking ball?  I remember some awful swings.  Am I wrong?

I don't know if it's been posted here but I believe Lexi Altobelli is joining the Texas baseball program in some role as a student. 

David Pierce and John had a history together so it makes sense. I thought it was cool with all that's happened with the family recently. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Am I mistaken or does Kash have a little trouble with the breaking ball?  I remember some awful swings.  Am I wrong?

He does but it’s fixable. Especially with Rodriguez coming in 

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know if it's been posted here but I believe Lexi Altobelli is joining the Texas baseball program in some role as a student. 

David Pierce and John had a history together so it makes sense. I thought it was cool with all that's happened with the family recently. 

That’s really fuckin cool. Good on Pierce. 

5 hours ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

Seems like you are changing your story around. You made it sound like he was bound for SECSECSEC not that Tenn just happened to be the best fit for him. If that's true then good on him for exploring all his options.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Too bad. But keep looking around. Somebody good will say yes.

40 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Seems like you are changing your story around. You made it sound like he was bound for SECSECSEC not that Tenn just happened to be the best fit for him. If that's true then good on him for exploring all his options.

Yeah he’s full of shit 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I wanted an assistant with more experience at this level and believe Pierce did too. Sounds like Pierce wanted Anderson or Childress who fit that profile perfectly. 

This is perfect. Let Rodriguez focus on hitting and Williams be full time pitching coach with Pierce dipping his beak in both

Just now, Fletch said:

This is perfect. Let Rodriguez focus on hitting and Williams be full time pitching coach with Pierce dipping his beak in both

That was likely why Texas had to go this route with Williams. 

Pierce wants to be heavily involved in pitching which is fine with me. I would have definitely preferred a pitching coach with more experience at this level but there is no denying Williams has been producing top talent at San Jac. 

I hope we get a couple more pitchers from San Jac because they do have some good ones. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That was likely why Texas had to go this route with Williams. 

Pierce wants to be heavily involved in pitching which is fine with me. I would have definitely preferred a pitching coach with more experience at this level but there is no denying Williams has been producing top talent at San Jac. 

I hope we get a couple more pitchers from San Jac because they do have some good ones. 

Yeah he’s a good coach and should become yet another great recruiter for us. Wonder if we’re gonna add any more special assistants to the whatever or any student assistants 

With Woody Williams here,  Chris Stuart is probably going to have an opportunity to be at least a midweek starter. Most the SEC programs wanted him and now his JUCO coach is at Texas. 

Here's a write up on Stuart from his summer league team. 

https://www.kettleers.org/2022/06/off-day-profile-chris-stuart-has-pitched-his-way-from-the-dutch-u18-team-to-cotuit/

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

With Woody Williams here,  Chris Stuart is probably going to have an opportunity to be at least a midweek starter. Most the SEC programs wanted him and now his JUCO coach is at Texas. 

Here's a write up on Stuart from his summer league team. 

https://www.kettleers.org/2022/06/off-day-profile-chris-stuart-has-pitched-his-way-from-the-dutch-u18-team-to-cotuit/

Yeah Woody, Pierce and Rodriguez are gonna tear shit up on the recruiting trail. Woody and Pierce have strong Texas connections and Rodriguez has the west coast ties. Pierce has shown he can recruit the southeast too

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah he’s a good coach and should become yet another great recruiter for us. Wonder if we’re gonna add any more special assistants to the whatever or any student assistants 

They need to add a younger coach in the volunteer role. Pierce, Rodriguez, Williams, and Miller are what all in their late 40s to 50s right?

I do wonder if Alaniz would be willing to take a volunteer role because I'm sure he's not making much money as a high school coach. It would also help him move into the college game if that's the direction he wants to take. 

On 6/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I know Sean Allen wasn't liked by a few posters but if you're firing a pitching coach that finished 1st and 26th in team ERA the last 2 seasons you better not be replacing him with an unproven college assistant.

This better be a big name hire. 

I liked the mention of Rob Childress.  

On 6/22/2022 at 4:53 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I get it and maybe Pierce would hire a great coach from those ranks. 

I would not be excited  until proven otherwise and especially after firing Allen. I defended Allen in the recruiting thread but if Pierce hired a top end pitching coach I would be fully on board. Hiring a San Jac assistant after firing a pitching coach that finished #1 and #26 in team ERA the last 2 seasons is not going to get me excited. 

This should be a big name after firing Allen. Going from the D1 assistant of the year in 2021 to a San Jac assistant or unproven coach at this level is not going to do much for me. 

On 6/22/2022 at 5:02 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

It takes some big balls to fire Allen and if Pierce replaces him with one of the top pitching coaches it tells me he is definitely the right man for the job. 

I feel confident Texas is going to get a big name because I don't believe a move would have been made unless they felt a big name was possible. No offense to the San Jac guy getting his name out there but I don't believe that's the type hire Texas is about to make. 

This will be a proven assistant at a bigger college program if I had to guess. 

That half hour on June 22 sure is fun now. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They need to add a younger coach in the volunteer role. Pierce, Rodriguez, Williams, and Miller are what all in their late 40s to 50s right?

I do wonder if Alaniz would be willing to take a volunteer role because I'm sure he's not making much money as a high school coach. It would also help him move into the college game if that's the direction he wants to take. 

I think my dream of Alaniz may be coming true. Bringing him in as a volunteer assistant for a couple years till Woody gets a head coaching job somewhere then boom. We’re off

Any word on that David Freese rumor from awhile back?

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

15 years, 132 wins, 30 bWAR in the bigs tells me he's forgotten more about pitching than 99.8% of this planet will ever know. 

Yeah this kinda reminds me of the staff Augie assembled. Anderson (then skip) and kept Harmon around. This is a badass fuckin staff

now being in Alaniz and Freese as volunteer or assistant to the whatever and let’s roll

And you have to think this helps with skenes 

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

15 years, 132 wins, 30 bWAR in the bigs tells me he's forgotten more about pitching than 99.8% of this planet will ever know. 

I guess we're about to find out. Not all players end up being good coaches and especially at this level. 

The one positive is there's no denying Williams has produced some great pitchers at San Jac. I hope the same happens at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I guess we're about to find out. Not all players end up being good coaches and especially at this level. 

The one positive is there's no denying Williams has produced some great pitchers at San Jac. I hope the same happens at Texas. 

Yeah but his staffs at san jac kicked us. We’re set dude. Think we just found our new skip