2023 Texas Baseball

Fletch

Tadlock is starting to become known as an asshole and his approach to managing his roster is going to bite him in the ass. He oversigns every year and then just cuts a bunch of kids in the fall or tells him to enter the portal so he can use their scholarship money. They signed a 24 man recruiting class this year which is insane and he’s still is promising scholarship money and roster spots to portal and juco kids. Half those kids won’t even be on the roster next spring.

It was funny to read that article in The Athletic about Melendez when they talked about how Tech could have had him but Tadlock pulled his scholarship offer after Melendez visited campus and didn’t commit on the spot.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Would not surprise me at all if Stehly and Kennedy came back.  Hodo, Ardoin, and Melendez are gone.  Faltine is probably gone but he does have a lot to gain if he comes back and his floor isn’t going to get much lower even if he comes back and doesn’t play well.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tadlock is starting to become known as an asshole and his approach to managing his roster is going to bite him in the ass. He oversigns every year and then just cuts a bunch of kids in the fall or tells him to enter the portal so he can use their scholarship money. They signed a 24 man recruiting class this year which is insane and he’s still is promising scholarship money and roster spots to portal and juco kids. Half those kids won’t even be on the roster next spring.

It was funny to read that article in The Athletic about Melendez when they talked about how Tech could have had him but Tadlock pulled his scholarship offer after Melendez visited campus and didn’t commit on the spot.

That’s the least surprising thing ever in regards to Tadlock. He seems like college baseball Herman. Fuck Kash for going there 

29 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Would not surprise me at all if Stehly and Kennedy came back.  Hodo, Ardoin, and Melendez are gone.  Faltine is probably gone but he does have a lot to gain if he comes back and his floor isn’t going to get much lower even if he comes back and doesn’t play well.

Idk dude. Think there’s a good chance hodo comes back. If he takes another jump next year, I can see him getting picked in the top 3 rounds as opposed to the 8th or so(just guessing) he’s slated at now. Same with Southard. 

Faltine is in the same boat a hodo. If he comes back, cuts down the strikeouts and takes that next step at the plate, he could be a 2nd or so rounder. Doesn’t matter though. He’s gone 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Had not considered Stehly coming back, that would be ideal.

Anybody have insight on how summer ball works?  I guess Skenes is taking the US National team route but that is obviously a rare and different route.  How do players choose their summer team?  Assuming players have to pay their own way like they would a travel ball team in high school?   What percentage of guys just don’t play summer ball?

9 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Anybody have insight on how summer ball works?  I guess Skenes is taking the US National team route but that is obviously a rare and different route.  How do players choose their summer team?  Assuming players have to pay their own way like they would a travel ball team in high school?   What percentage of guys just don’t play summer ball?

College coaches have good relationships with summer leagues, like the cape cod league. Most if not all our players go off to these west coast wood bat summer leagues. Some are lucky enough to play for team USA. Think Stubbs, Jungmann and I think Payton played for them one summer 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What fletch said. The Austin Zaragoza league used to have some of our guys there but it’s mostly lower level colleges as CC league and west coast have blown up. Simmons pitched there at one point, think he was probably the last one.

Does this league still exist? 

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

College coaches have good relationships with summer leagues, like the cape cod league. Most if not all our players go off to these west coast wood bat summer leagues. Some are lucky enough to play for team USA. Think Stubbs, Jungmann and I think Payton played for them one summer 

What Fletch said.    Coaches select players and coordinate with the league.   Seems the ones selected will be important for the following year.

It is a great experience.   Especially the Cape Cod League.   Showcase for scouts and with excellent coaching.   Elder was highly complimentary of his pitching coach at Santa Barbara.   Communities sponsor the teams with activities and most important,  food.

I checked last week and only could find the following players.  Normally we have more but reduced due to attrition this year.  

Cape Cod - Daly, L. Johnson (Chatham)  Sthele (Wareham)

Santa Barbara - Harrison, Campbell   Grossman also at Santa Barbara - did he portal ?

Northwoods League (Midwest, Upper Midwest) - did not have time to check,  too many teams

If interested just google.   However,  rosters and stats are often not current.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Does this league still exist? 

I believe it changed into the Centex collegiate league but I’m not sure. I don’t know if they play at the park anymore either. I stopped playing there in 2012 I think and most games were not at Zaragoza anymore. 

Edited by hobbes2702

55 minutes ago, torre said:

What Fletch said.    Coaches select players and coordinate with the league.   Seems the ones selected will be important for the following year.

It is a great experience.   Especially the Cape Cod League.   Showcase for scouts and with excellent coaching.   Elder was highly complimentary of his pitching coach at Santa Barbara.   Communities sponsor the teams with activities and most important,  food.

I checked last week and only could find the following players.  Normally we have more but reduced due to attrition this year.  

Cape Cod - Daly, L. Johnson (Chatham)  Sthele (Wareham)

Santa Barbara - Harrison, Campbell   Grossman also at Santa Barbara - did he portal ?

Northwoods League (Midwest, Upper Midwest) - did not have time to check,  too many teams

If interested just google.   However,  rosters and stats are often not current.

Normally the statesman or someone like that releases who’s playing where in summer ball. For whatever reason they didn’t do that this year. Someone that’s not me, look up who’s playing where and their stats. Much obliged 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, 66BUFF said:

They make their money running the camps and giving lessons.  I knew a guy at Rice that was pulling 100k plus as the unpaid assistant.

Thank you for this info.  I keep seeing his name for the volunteer spot and kept thinking - who tf can go from a hs salary to a volunteer gig? Wife and two kids no less?? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Please pick this dude up

@Hookem2147 @torre and @LTtxfan any update on volunteers and whatnot?

None that I have seen.     Very important hire.

Camps started this week, 9AM-1PM.   Someone that has time may drop by to see if the new coaches are taking part and look for the volunteer asst.

Sessions Available
I: July 5-8, 2022
II: July 11-14, 2022
III: July 18-21. 2022
IV: July 25-28, 2022
V: August 1-4, 2022

TEXAS TEAM CAMP

Bring your team out to compete at UFCU Disch-Falk Field and be evaluated by our Texas Baseball Camp coaching staff. 

Sessions Available
Friday, July 15, 2022 SOLD OUT

http://www.longhornbaseballcamp.com/Camp_Schedule.htm

5 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

my 10yo is going, but not til session 4. I'll let him know to ask Pierce who he has in mind for the volunteer coach and he'll also report back if Hodo, Faltine, and Stehly are assisting at their positions.

Also need portal info or the kid doesn’t get dinner

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

I went in 1990 on the old turf. Hotter than hell. Practicing sliding on the tarp and getting sprayed with water probably kept most of us alive.

Yeah my first year was 04. Went every year till 2010. Even did the winter camps too. Still got a scar on my left arm from a nasty turf burn I got laying out for a ball in center. Man those camps were the best. They seriously worked too. Always improved tremendously going to those camps

Csb time. Keith Shinaberry taught me how to throw a circle change. Turned into my nastiest pitch. Another summer, Nick Peoples, Chance Ruffin and Adrian Alaniz were there coaching. Got to take BP off both Ruffin and Alaniz. Was wearing my Westlake baseball shirt and Ruffin walks by. Goes “Westlake, huh? Fuckin douchebags….” Says the school that’s produced Baker Mayfield, Hudson Card, Conner Mayes, Cohl Walla and Taylor Doyle. Talk about complete fucking douchebags 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah my first year was 04. Went every year till 2010. Even did the winter camps too. Still got a scar on my left arm from a nasty turf burn I got laying out for a ball in center. Man those camps were the best. They seriously worked too. Always improved tremendously going to those camps

Csb time. Keith Shinaberry taught me how to throw a circle change. Turned into my nastiest pitch. Another summer, Nick Peoples, Chance Ruffin and Adrian Alaniz were there coaching. Got to take BP off both Ruffin and Alaniz. Was wearing my Westlake baseball shirt and Ruffin walks by. Goes “Westlake, huh? Fuckin douchebags….” Says the school that’s produced Baker Mayfield, Hudson Card, Conner Mayes, Cohl Walla and Taylor Doyle. Talk about complete fucking douchebags 

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

• Haha 5

07.07.2022 | Baseball

20220617_Pierce_David_4851.jpg?width=768

Baseball announces staff changes

The Longhorns have hired Steve Rodriguez and Woody Williams as assistant coaches.

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Baseball head coach David Pierce has announced staff changes, including the hiring of Steve Rodriguez and Woody Williams as assistant coaches. Philip Miller and Caleb Longley will transition into new roles for the 2023 season.

Rodriguez comes to Texas after 19 seasons as a Division I head coach between Pepperdine and Baylor, compiling 598 career wins and 11 NCAA postseason appearances. A former infielder at Pepperdine and for the Boston Red Sox and Detroit Tigers, Rodriguez will serve as the Longhorns' hitting coach, infield coach and recruiting coordinator.

"Coach Rod brings experience to the Texas Baseball staff, having played at the big-league level and been an assistant and head coach at the Division I level," Pierce said. "He brings energy and enthusiasm to the Forty Acres and can recruit the best players in the country to our program. He has a knack for developing players to reach their full potential and is an absolute home run hire for Texas Baseball. He understands winning with integrity and will be an unbelievable addition to our staff."

Williams has spent the last seven seasons as an assistant coach at San Jacinto College, helping lead the Gators to the Junior College World Series five times. Prior to joining San Jac in the fall of 2015, Williams coached three years at Fort Bend Christian Academy and spent two seasons with the Houston Heat. A 15-year Major League Baseball veteran who pitched for four different teams from 1993 to 2007, he will serve as the Longhorns' pitching coach.

"Woody is one of the best pitching minds in the country and builds a foundation with his staff through relationships and trust," Pierce said. "Woody has hit the ground running and can't wait to start building the foundation with our recruits and current players. He is a veteran of 15 years in the big leagues and has a reputation of being a fierce competitor. It will be a treat every day for our players to learn from these two great men."

Longley, who served as Coordinator of Hitting and Pitching Development in 2022, rounds out the on-field coaching staff as the Volunteer Assistant. He will coach the outfielders and catchers and work closely with Rodriguez in developing the hitters. In his first season on the Texas staff in 2022 he helped the Longhorns to one of the most productive offensive seasons in program history with a .314 batting average and a school record 128 home runs.

Miller, who has served as an assistant coach at Texas for the last six seasons and for 11 seasons under Pierce, will transition into the role of Special Assistant to the Head Coach. Since 2017, Miller has worked with the Texas catchers and outfielders, while assisting with hitters and recruiting. With Miller on staff, the Longhorns have won 219 games and advanced to the College World Series three times.

"Philip has been on my staff for 11 years at three different universities and has excelled in every possible role," Pierce said. "His selfless approach has been evident and has always put the program's needs first. It is only natural to put him in this position to help in all aspects of the program. The University of Texas is lucky to have Philip's dedication to excellence and he will again be a major contributor to our program's success. I appreciate our administration for recognizing the need for this role and committing to a very proactive approach to position our program as one of the best in the country. This cutting-edge position will only enhance our players' experience while being on the Forty Acres and life afterwards."

Rodriguez was the head coach at Baylor from 2016 to 2022 and his 197-146 record marks the third-most wins of any head coach in program history. The 2017 Big 12 Coach of the Year, Rodriguez led the Bears to three-straight NCAA Regional appearances (2017, 2018, 2019), as well as their first Big 12 Tournament title in program history (2018). During Rodriguez's tenure, eight Bears earned All-America honors and a total of 52 All-Big 12 honors. The Bears had 12 players selected a total of 14 times in the MLB Draft since Rodriguez took over in 2016, including a trio of first-round picks over the last two drafts. In 12 seasons as the head coach at Pepperdine, Rodriguez led the Waves to a 401-300 record, with eight NCAA Tournament appearances, five West Coast Conference regular-season titles, three WCC Championship Series crowns and a pair of WCC Tournament titles to his credit. An All-America second baseman on Pepperdine's 1992 NCAA College World Series championship team, Rodriguez was a fifth-round draft pick of the Boston Red Sox in 1992 and reached the majors with both Boston and Detroit in 1995.

Williams joined the San Jacinto College coaching staff before the 2016 season and helped lead the Gators to the Junior College World Series five times during that span. San Jac sent numerous players onto Division I baseball as well as to the Major League Baseball draft, highlighted by 2019 first round pick RHP Jackson Rutledge. Williams had an accomplished MLB career, pitching for 15 seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays, San Diego Padres, St. Louis Cardinals and Houston Astros. He logged more than 2,000 innings pitched and won 132 games with a 4.19 career ERA. He was an MLB All-Star in 2003 with the Cardinals, going 18-9 with a 3.87 ERA and 153 strikeouts in 220.2 innings. Prior to his 20-year professional baseball career, Williams was a two-way standout at the University of Houston. Williams played shortstop and pitched for the Cougars from 1987-88. During the 1988 season, Williams pitched 100 1/3 innings and posted a 3.32 ERA with nine wins.

55 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Promoting Longley was a solid call. Young guy, players like him and he was already pretty involved in stuff last year. Keeps some continuity.

Sweet. Pierce is killing it this off-season 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  Rubber cleats melted.  Sliding on that tarp was fun.

Shit why can’t it be 2005 again? Back at Texas baseball camp coming off a national championship with the best fall ever around the corner. Damn good times.

9 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Not sure I would consider this “killing it”.

Well, I really like the pitching coach hire, Rodriguez is pretty much a home run hire. I like promoting this guy for continuity. We’re gonna add a couple more assistants in some capacity at some point. We already got 2 pretty good transfers coming in. I’m assuming that San jac kid is coming with woody. Stehly is coming back. Got a good feeling about the draft, specifically with hodo and Southard. And maybe faltine. If he cuts down on the strikeouts he could really improve his draft stock.

I’m guessing he and hodo are roughly 8-10th rounders right now. If they come back and make that next step like damn near every hitter under Pierce has, they can play their way into the 2nd or 3rd. I’m betting hodo stays and faltine leaves though. Anyways yeah so far this has been a pretty good off-season 

21 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Not sure I would consider this “killing it”.

We'll see. Rodriguez eventually got Peter Principled to head coach at Baylor but he surely did something to get that job. Williams has a proven track record.

I guess we will know come next May....and well until after the draft in just ten days.

So I presume Miller can still work with the players just during practice and cannot recruit, is that right? Or can he also be in the dugout during games?

Edited by Valmy77

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We'll see. Rodriguez eventually got Peter Principled to head coach at Baylor but he surely did something to get that job. Williams has a proven track record.

I guess we will know come next May....and well until after the draft in just ten days.

So I presume Miller can still work with the players just during practice and cannot recruit, is that right? Or can he also be in the dugout during games?

Wonder if Pierce would be chill with giving Rodriguez 3rd base coach and let Pierce give signs in the dugout. That’d be pretty fucking nice 

Just now, Fletch said:

Wonder if Pierce would be chill with giving Rodriguez 3rd base coach and let Pierce give signs in the dugout. That’d be pretty fucking nice 

How was Baylor's base running? They barely got on base during our series.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

How was Baylor's base running? They barely got on base during our series.

I remember them being pretty solid base running wise the last few years but I could be misremembering. Didn’t exactly watch much baylor baseball outside our games 

32 minutes ago, Fletch said:

That would seem to be the right call.  Pierce needs to put a lot of his focus on pitching and working with Woody.

Did Gus coach 3rd?  I seem to remember he did but then gave it up at some point.

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

That would seem to be the right call.  Pierce needs to put a lot of his focus on pitching and working with Woody.

Did Gus coach 3rd?  I seem to remember he did but then gave it up at some point.

I think he did. My dad told me stories of this insane play he would call. Runner on 3rd and he’d somehow get the pitcher to balk. @BillyGoatHill, @Valmy77 @Cajun y’all know what I’m talking about?

Yeah I know what you are talking about. Gus always acted very calm and moved slowly so it was kind of funny seeing the crazy shit he would try. The double steal of home with runners on the corners. The runner on third dancing off the base and inducing the balk, like @Fletch mentioned. We had a walk off balk against MIami in 1993...I think it might have even been Peter Gardere who did it.

My favorite was Gus very intentionally walking out to the mound to switch pitchers. Very very intentionally, giving his bullpen time to throw a few extra tosses. And never ever stepping on the baseline.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Yes, Gus most certainly coached 3rd.  Shortest walk from the dugout back then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I think he did. My dad told me stories of this insane play he would call. Runner on 3rd and he’d somehow get the pitcher to balk. @BillyGoatHill, @Valmy77 @Cajun y’all know what I’m talking about?

Don’t remember that.  Gus was pretty statue-esque out there from what I recall.  He was cagey as a fox though.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I know what you are talking about. Gus always acted very calm and moved slowly so it was kind of funny seeing the crazy shit he would try. The double steal of home with runners on the corners. The runner on third dancing off the base and inducing the balk, like @Fletch mentioned. We had a walk off balk against MIami in 1993...I think it might have even been Peter Gardere who did it.

My favorite was Gus very intentionally walking out to the mound to switch pitchers. Very very intentionally, giving his bullpen time to throw a few extra tosses. And never ever stepping on the baseline.

Yep!!! That’s what I was talking about. My dad said it was the craziest shit he’s ever seen and he could never quite pick up on what he was doing. And my dad is like us, lives and breathes baseball. 

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Don’t remember that.  Gus was pretty statue-esque out there from what I recall.  He was cagey as a fox though.

Our boy valmy covered it. Would be nice if Gus shared some of his secrets with Pierce. But yeah man, got a really good feeling about our trajectory. Hard to argue Pierces results so far. He’s learned a little something and tweaked a thing or 2 every season. I think he’s finally truly grown into the role and is ready to start kicking ass. This is the best staff we’ve had since Augie, Harmon and Skip 15 or whatever years ago. I’m expecting some 02-‘11 type results in the coming years  

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

@Valmy77 pretty much covered it.

He was very deliberate in everything he did. The balk move with a runner on third was probably the best. I'm not sure how many times I saw that with my Dad when we would go to games as I was growing up. Definitely was used (and worked quite a bit) against teams that didn't regularly play us. 

Different story but my Dad had known Gus since his days at South San.

My Grandad was on the school board there and helped to get him hired . One of my Uncles (Dad's 2nd brother) played catcher for him there and should have been on one of his state championship teams but he decided not to play his senior yr. He would not tell my granddad when their games were cuz granddad would always be riding the umpires, especially the one behind the plate. Dad said Gus still had some of his same signs for hitting or taking at Texas as the ones he used for South San. He would go through the motions and hand signs, but really all you had to do was look at his face. If he was looking at you, you were taking until you got a strike. If he was giving a sign and not looking at you, ....free to hit away. 

My Dad and BIL went to a lot of games once he married my sis in the early 90's after they graduated. I was living out of state and so obviously wasn't there. After my dad passed this last December, my BIL told me the story about them going to games together and my Dad would always try and say Hi to Gus no matter when they got to the game. My BIL was always embarrassed as he thought my dad was just kinda stalking Gus. Gus did acknowledge Dad though. Anyway, fast forward about 20 years, so probably around 2010 or later and they are going to some type of alumni event and of course a lot of who's who for Texas Athletics are there including Gus.  My BIL is shocked when Gus comes over to their table and says to my dad and mom "Hello Mickie, Hey Tom, glad ya'll are here"...

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Two observations on Allen’s move:

1) He’s not the pitching coach as it looks like Ohio State already hired one. Seems like he was brought there to recruit.

2) Not a knock on Ohio State, but you would think someone who was named “D1 assistant coach of the year” could do a little better than a Big Ten school. Maybe he’s just a weird fit on most staffs since he’s not really a pitching coach or hitting coach at this point. Biggest asset is recruiting and I’m wondering if that’s hindered a little bit by being at a school like Ohio State. Going to have a tough time coming down south and getting kids to go up there.