Vietnamese (yeah, I know there is a Pho thread)

Patricio Swayze

If you put Pho in the title, then I assume the thread is only about Pho. Let’s talk Vietnamese in general…so bang mi, bun (my favorite), rice plates and yes, pho.

If you live in Houston and like Vietnamese, you probably have been to a dozen different places. Some of my favorites have close, or changed hands.

Currently my favorite is close to my hood, Banh Mi Etc. I am a hardcore bun fan. Typically pork, but this place does a lemongrass beef bowl that is phenomenal. Since I have been working from home so much, I have been eating there twice a week. They greet me by name, which means I have a problem.

Off the top of my head and some I like:  

Banh Mi - Nguyen Ngo in chinatown.  Pho Binh Heights actually has a good banh mi as well. If you like soft shell crab, their cua ra moi (salt/pepper crab) is pretty good too. 

Bun - Have you had the bun cha Hanoi at Thien Thanh in chinatown? It's cash only PSA 

Com Tam - Thuan Kieu is solid. Their banh xeo is a good deal too. Used to be 7 bucks but I think it's $10 now.  Their Canh Chua and claypot fish is solid too.  Pho Dakao has a pretty good rice plate as well. 

Find a Bo Ne place - Vietnamese steak and eggs.  Legit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Living in Montrose and previously working downtown, there are a few in the area

Midtown:

Thien An and Cali Sandwich, both in Midtown are solid Banh Mi with Les Givral closing down.

Used to hit Simply Pho from time to time.

Mai's

Montrose:

Kau Ba is really good...if a bit elevated for Vietnamese food.

Lua Viet Kitchen is really good too.

Downtown:

Huynh on the East side is solid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Living in Montrose and previously working downtown, there are a few in the area

Midtown:
Thien An and Cali Sandwich, both in Midtown are solid Banh Mi with Les Givral closing down.
Used to hit Simply Pho from time to time.
Mai's
Montrose:
Kau Ba is really good...if a bit elevated for Vietnamese food.
Lua Viet Kitchen is really good too.
Downtown:
Huynh on the East side is solid.

Cali is/was great. I haven’t been in years, but it’s a bastion of Vietnamese food in Houston as far as I am concerned.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/1/2023 at 6:31 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Anyone tried Blind Goat on Long Point in da SB yet?

Masterquoting myself.  Finally tried Blind Goat.  Solid place that deserves a repeat trip for us. Not a 10, not an 8.  Like an 8.8

Quite delish brisket fried rice and crawfish noodles.  Bone marrow was tasty but lacked quantity so wouldn't order it again and egg rolls were good but not great.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Masterquoting myself.  Finally tried Blind Goat.  Solid place that deserves a repeat trip for us. Not a 10, not an 8.  Like an 8.8

Quite delish brisket fried rice and crawfish noodles.  Bone marrow was tasty but lacked quantity so wouldn't order it again and egg rolls were good but not great.

I wish them luck. I want Long Point to continue to evolve as an eating destination, but that menu is something else. I think people want something very accessible like Roostar or something very authentic. Not sure if hipster Vietnamese is going to work. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I wish them luck. I want Long Point to continue to evolve as an eating destination, but that menu is something else. I think people want something very accessible like Roostar or something very authentic. Not sure if hipster Vietnamese is going to work. 

First, completely agree.  My comments to my wife were "this is unnecessarily complex for Vietnamese" but they saved themselves with some good dishes.  Still find it unnecessary.

Also, we had reservations at 500 pm because no other time on a Friday.  Didn't believe it until I saw it.  Place was hopping. 

2 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

First, completely agree.  My comments to my wife were "this is unnecessarily complex for Vietnamese" but they saved themselves with some good dishes.  Still find it unnecessary.

Also, we had reservations at 500 pm because no other time on a Friday.  Didn't believe it until I saw it.  Place was hopping. 

Well there ya go. Hipster Viet works. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m eating a Belly Burger right now.  I’m with you in hoping that Long Point continues to develop as a culinary destination.  That block now has Fenges, the Blind Goat, stuffed Belly, and some new Raman place called JINYA.  

On 7/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m eating a Belly Burger right now.  I’m with you in hoping that Long Point continues to develop as a culinary destination.  That block now has Fenges, the Blind Goat, stuffed Belly, and some new Raman place called JINYA.  

So how is the Belly Burger?  Menu looks delish and loaded tots be calling me.

On 5/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

You also have Diguast/Diversion near Antoine

On 7/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

is a ginormous chain

On 5/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Place was chalk full when we went at 7:30pm on a Friday a few weeks ago. Our food ranged from pretty good to excellent. The garlic butter crawfish noodles; good lord. So simple but so delicious.

If it were just some random new place trying it out it might struggle, but it's just a new space. Blind Goat has been around and was a James Beard nominee. Christine Ha won Master Chef and has been James Beard nominated multiple times. It would attract a crowd anywhere in town.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Leaving out from Austin on I-10 tomorrow morning, passing through Houston and looking for a great banh mi lunch. I have Yelped and Googled, but are there any particular favorites you all would recommend?

We have a huge Vietnamese community back home and eat banh mi weekly, but I’ve heard Houston has some of the best anywhere. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

Leaving out from Austin on I-10 tomorrow morning, passing through Houston and looking for a great banh mi lunch. I have Yelped and Googled, but are there any particular favorites you all would recommend?

We have a huge Vietnamese community back home and eat banh mi weekly, but I’ve heard Houston has some of the best anywhere. Thanks!

The original Roostar is off of 10, north on Gessner. They serve a chopped ribeye banh mi that is terrific.

A lot of people like Cali Sandwiches in Midtown, but I’ve watched them microwave my sandwich before. Just a turn off for me. 

I’ll defer to the board for Asiatown recommendations. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 11:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The original Roostar is off of 10, north on Gessner. They serve a chopped ribeye banh mi that is terrific.

A lot of people like Cali Sandwiches in Midtown, but I’ve watched them microwave my sandwich before. Just a turn off for me. 

I’ll defer to the board for Asiatown recommendations. 

Many days over the past seven years, I’ve eaten lunch somewhere near 10 and between Heights Blvd and the Beltway (I don’t cross as Niko Niko is my limit).  I also love Vietnamese.

how did i not know about Roostar?  Will need to check out next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Many days over the past seven years, I’ve eaten lunch somewhere near 10 and between Heights Blvd and the Beltway (I don’t cross as Niko Niko is my limit).  I also love Vietnamese.

The original is for sure better than the second location on Richmond. Lemon pepper wings might be the best in city.

I’d skip the boxes, apps, and soups. Curry is fine, but they really shine on banh mi and the wings. The ribeye and pork banh mi are terrific. 

On 4/11/2024 at 6:28 PM, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

A+ rec for Roostar. Tried the pork, ribeye, and house special. Very different from the banh mi we get at home but absolutely delicious! They do a hell of a business but are ridiculously efficient. Easy off and back on the interstate, too. Thanks again!

I’m glad it worked out for you buddy. Cali and the Asiatown places are a bitch to get to if you’re just passing through. Roostar might not be the best, but it’s damn good and convenient. 

Roostar is right by the old school strip of Asian restaurants on Long Point. Terrific Korean food across the street, and the GOAT Thai Racha was over there too. RIP.

Thai Racha might have been the best Thai restaurant in the city when I was growing up. Typical Houston. Renovated Church’s Chicken location with a drive thru. It looked like a divey shit hole and only took cash. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guess I'm late to reply but there are 3 old bánh mì places that us Vietnamese people go to in Houston and for different reasons/likes. 

Don cafe - best thịt nướng

Thim Hing - best bread

Nguyễn Ngọ - best pate and bơ (Vietnamese mayo) 

Nguyễn Ngọ is my personal favorite because I love their pate and you can customize your sandwiches with whatever meats and how many meats you want. And their pâté chaud is the bomb.

Then An is another spot that's decent if you're in the downtown area and don't want to drive to Bellaire.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:12 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Longpoint is literally korea town

On 4/11/2024 at 6:28 PM, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

A+ rec for Roostar. Tried the pork, ribeye, and house special. Very different from the banh mi we get at home but absolutely delicious! They do a hell of a business but are ridiculously efficient. Easy off and back on the interstate, too. Thanks again!

they opened a roostar on navigation by me, need to try it out