Colorado Baker Wins

TahoeHorn

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, that wasn't the reason, but keep using that strawman.  We got where we are today because the democrats went all in on HRC.  We literally had the worst two candidates for major parties in the history of elections.  

Worse than Hitler and Wels?

HRC was also the only moderate Dem around. Maybe the last moderate to win a primary given our current climate. So, as someone in finance, who is going to be a "better" Dem candidate than Hillary for you?  Definitely not Bernie.  He would actually be coming to redistribute your wealth. Your best bet would have been to stop Trump in the GOP primary.  That will still be your best bet in 2020 because Hillary was the closest you were ever gonna get to a Dem that supports trickle down economics. She is also pro free trade, unlike both Bernie and Trump.  The next Dem candidate will probably be closer to Bernie than Hillary.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Just now, Brisketexan said:

It's about the normalization, celebration, and fighting on behalf of the right to be flaming dickbags to each other. 

No, no it's not.  The dicks are the people who keep calling folks out for being racist when they have no fucking idea what they're talking about. 

It isn’t a problem where I live because whites aren’t the majority. What are you so afraid of?  
Every year that passes, racism decreases.  Regardless of who is elected.  
Dems identity politics did piss off a lot of whites though. That had more to do with Trump getting elected than anything. Keep calling the GOP racist. It’s been in the playbook for decades. Doing so lost you a bunch of white voters who voted for Obama. My wife is one of them.  

It’s impossible that someone could marry you if they’re not at a minimum willing to overlook racism in a person

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It isn’t a problem where I live because whites aren’t the majority. What are you so afraid of?  

Every year that passes, racism decreases.  Regardless of who is elected.  

Dems identity politics did piss off a lot of whites though. That had more to do with Trump getting elected than anything. Keep calling the GOP racist. It’s been in the playbook for decades. Doing so lost you a bunch of white voters who voted for Obama. My wife is one of them.  

Trump literally ran on a racist platform. And for the first time in decades, the guy that did that fucking won. How in the fuck can you just casually throw that aside and say "every year that passes, racism decreases"? I mean fuck, I guess you'll need to see people being lynched on your front lawn to think that maybe your platitude isn't necessarily true?

I think we're all acutely aware of who on this board is guilty of calling people names and insulting posters' morality, and who refrains from that.  When I see Poster A act ugly toward Poster B, accusing him of acting ugly while Poster B is being polite ... well, I just chuckle at the irony.

One of the things that made Martin Luther King, Jr successful, I think, was that he was always a class act.  I think that sells.  Contrast that with, say, Yassir Arafat.  I think his cause had a lot of merit (although not as much) but I have much less sympathy for the cause because of the tactics. 

The gay rights movement in general made their case in a positive way.

I think the Gandhi model of protest works.  I think acting like an ass and insulting the audience you're trying to sell does not.

I wonder if there is anybody on this board who is both a more likely convert to the cause of opposing Trump, or a more useful ally.  If there is the list is short.  Yet the opponents of Trump go out of their way to insult me and act ugly.  That's fine.  I'm entertained.  And maybe they understand that this isn't real life and nobody is selling anybody.  But the emotion is so raw I wonder if they do.  And if they did why they'd act ugly.

Any theories?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

It’s impossible that someone could marry you if they’re not at a minimum willing to overlook racism in a person

Okay.  I’m a huge fan racist who pays for the food, medicine, housing and schooling of 8 Haitian orphans.  And have every month for 15 years since I got my first job out of law school. And my family’s foundation was the major contributor to building and then rebuilding an orphange down there. And I voted in favor of it  I go down and work in Haiti because I hate blacks  

I reject the fucktarded modern democrat definition of racism and sincerely believe Democrats have caused more damage to the black community the last 150 years than the KKK could ever dream of.  

There is zero incentive for Democrats to ever really help blacks. You need to keep them right where they are and aggrieved so they will vote the same way.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Trump literally ran on a racist platform. And for the first time in decades, the guy that did that fucking won. How in the fuck can you just casually throw that aside and say "every year that passes, racism decreases"? I mean fuck, I guess you'll need to see people being lynched on your front lawn to think that maybe your platitude isn't necessarily true?

Lost your god damn mind. Link to racist campaign slogans and racist policies passed so far please. I’m told women will lose the right to vote soon and gay marriage will be repealled?  

The media ran a Trump is racist because he is a white conservative platform to try to put Hillary in office. It back fired and now they are doubling down. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Or, maybe -- and walk down this road just a little bit with me -- the audiences thought Trump and his birtherism bullshit was just fine BECAUSE a good number of 'em knew something was wrong with that colored fella taking over OUR White House.  

What the hell.  Y'all fellas win  Racism isn't a problem, we don't have a White House that enables it, and minorities have nothing to worry about in this country.  Keep whistling.

A good number of 'em knew something was wrong with that colored fella taking over our White House and they still voted for him in 2008 and 2012?  Aren't you a lawyer?  How well does mind reading go over in the courtroom when presenting evidence in a case?  And exactly when is this racist in the White House going to apologize to all his supporters for enacting economic policies that have resulted in the lowest African-American unemployment rate in history?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

A good number of 'em knew something was wrong with that colored fella taking over our White House and they still voted for him in 2008 and 2012?  Aren't you a lawyer?  How well does mind reading go over in the courtroom when presenting evidence in a case?  And exactly when is this racist in the White House going to apologize to all his supporters for enacting economic policies that have resulted in the lowest African-American unemployment rate in history?

LNS14000000_625954_1528156459044.gif

When your team is up 49-0, you surely credit the backup QB for the win when he comes in and scores a TD to make it 56-0, right?  Obama inherited an unemployment rate that was shooting to 10%.  It dropped to less than half that in his tenure.  But yes, Trump is clearly responsible for that trend line.  He's magical that way, he can go back in time.

18 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

I think we're all acutely aware of who on this board is guilty of calling people names and insulting posters' morality, and who refrains from that.  When I see Poster A act ugly toward Poster B, accusing him of acting ugly while Poster B is being polite ... well, I just chuckle at the irony.

One of the things that made Martin Luther King, Jr successful, I think, was that he was always a class act.  I think that sells.  Contrast that with, say, Yassir Arafat.  I think his cause had a lot of merit (although not as much) but I have much less sympathy for the cause because of the tactics. 

The gay rights movement in general made their case in a positive way.

I think the Gandhi model of protest works.  I think acting like an ass and insulting the audience you're trying to sell does not.

I wonder if there is anybody on this board who is both a more likely convert to the cause of opposing Trump, or a more useful ally.  If there is the list is short.  Yet the opponents of Trump go out of their way to insult me and act ugly.  That's fine.  I'm entertained.  And maybe they understand that this isn't real life and nobody is selling anybody.  But the emotion is so raw I wonder if they do.  And if they did why they'd act ugly.

Any theories?

We're not trying to convince you.  Reason is wasted on such folks.  Gandhi wouldn't have convinced you of shit, neither would MLK.  You folks conveniently ignore the fact that MLK was LOATHED during his lifetime by white america - at the time of his death, his disapproval percentage was 75%.  Don't hold him up as an example.  You and yours hated him, you don't get to revise history.

We're just waiting for you to die.  It's the only logical path.

I think government discrimination is just a fuck ton worse than a private actor's discrimination.  That's just me.
I think the Baptist church should be free to not host gay weddings.  But the county clerk should be fired and replaced if she refuses to issue a marriage license to a gay couple.

I agree with this and movie theaters, retail stores, restaurants and others open to the public are subject to public accommodation laws and should not be able to discriminate either and until hobby lobby it was pretty clear. Not as bad as the county clerk but refusing to sell me a product because I’m walking in the door holding my girlfriend’s hand isn’t okay.

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Lost your god damn mind. Link to racist campaign slogans and racist policies passed so far please. I’m told women will lose the right to vote soon and gay marriage will be repealled?  

The media ran a Trump is racist because he is a white conservative platform to try to put Hillary in office. It back fired and now they are doubling down. 

So - if you don't have a campaign poster that says 'I hate Niggers',  you're not racist campaign?   Good to know.   

What is absolutely true is that Trump has outed the racists (who are emboldened and acting out) - and that he has also outed the people, like sandwich here, who are too dim to know that Trump's whole shtick is racist.    Which is a really impressive feat, if you  think about it.    It's like a forever red blinking light in the center of their forehead.   In future years,  all you have to do is ask "What is your opinion of Trump", and you'll have a person's character pegged in one sentence. 

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

So - if you don't have a campaign poster that says 'I hate Niggers',  you're not racist campaign?   Good to know.   

What is absolutely true is that Trump has outed the racists (who are emboldened and acting out) - and that he has also outed the people, like sandwich here, who are too dim to know that Trump's whole shtick is racist.    Which is a really impressive feat, if you  think about it.    It's like a forever red blinking light in the center of their forehead.   In future years,  all you have to do is ask "What is your opinion of Trump", and you'll have a person's character pegged in one sentence. 

You fucking batshit leftists have said the same thing about every GOP presidential candidate for the last 40 years. 

But you really mean it now.  The last 7 were just jokes. 

You fucking batshit leftists have said the same thing about every GOP presidential candidate for the last 40 years. 

I didn’t say that. I never said it about any president until this one. Because he’s REALLY different.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I voted for fucking GW. I'm not a leftist. I support free trade and generally want regulation minimized except in circumstances where  distortions prevent the efficient operation of the market. But, I can certainly recognize that Trump supports/supported none of those traditionally right policies AND that he ran on a campaign that demonized minorities, particularly Mexicans. How is that not racist? How could you have missed that?  

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

LNS14000000_625954_1528156459044.gif

When your team is up 49-0, you surely credit the backup QB for the win when he comes in and scores a TD to make it 56-0, right?  Obama inherited an unemployment rate that was shooting to 10%.  It dropped to less than half that in his tenure.  But yes, Trump is clearly responsible for that trend line.  He's magical that way, he can go back in time.

So Trump has continued Obama's good work. What are you bitching about again?

Racism is decreasing. At least it has in my 41 years. The left can’t have that. Their bread and butter is identity politics and racial grievances. 

If you think racism has gotten worse over last few decades in America, I just don’t know what to say. 

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Racism is decreasing. At least it has in my 41 years. The left can’t have that. Their bread and butter is identity politics and racial grievances. 

If you think racism has gotten worse over last few decades in America, I just don’t know what to say. 

I don't think it has gotten worse over the last few decades, in fact it has very clearly gotten better. But it has visibly intensified over the last few years. And that is a trend line that I'd rather not see continue. I liked where we were going, but we now seem to be taking a detour. Well, hopefully it is just a detour and not a new destination. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No, no it's not.  The dicks are the people who keep calling folks out for being racist when they have no fucking idea what they're talking about. 

Hey man, I'm sorry you're a racist, but that's your problem, not mine.  Except when you vote.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I know "both sides" and all, but if this is really how you feel, your worldview isn't much more righteous than the folks marching with tiki torches. Trump is an existential threat to our country (which is why I plan on voting straight D for the first time), but so is this. Dress up darkness however you like, it's still darkness. Hate cannot drive out hate.

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Well, that's a lie, but you do you.

Just now, Dahobbs said:

I don't think it has gotten worse over the last few decades, in fact it has very clearly gotten better. But it has visibly intensified over the last few years. That is a trend line that I'd rather not see continue. 

I'm not sure racism in terms of numbers of racists is growing beyond the natural rate of births and deaths.  Rather I think the existing racists/bigots have simply been emboldened by Trump and are just louder and more visible.

These folks have always been racists.  The difference is that now the president of the US is on their side...

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're not trying to convince you.  Reason is wasted on such folks.  Gandhi wouldn't have convinced you of shit, neither would MLK.  You folks conveniently ignore the fact that MLK was LOATHED during his lifetime by white america - at the time of his death, his disapproval percentage was 75%.  Don't hold him up as an example.  You and yours hated him, you don't get to revise history.

Love it... "you folks".  You mean your fellow citizens, who for some reason you've chosen to label as racist because they voted differently than you. We/ they voted for reasons you simply cannot admit to which is they disliked a thoroughly corrupt Hillary Clinton, along with other reasons. Now we're all racist.

You are becoming more unhinged by the post  Yer like Hugo with a Russian or a racist behind every voting booth.  Racism in our country is on the decline, and has been for a good while now. That you choose to lap up the BS CNN, MSNBC, et al dole out is kinda sad.

And screw your BS comment about waiting for anyones death or your you and yours comments. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

2 -- it look s like the KEY basis for the SCOTUS opinion here were statements by some of the Co. commissioners that "religious beliefs cannot legitimately be carried into the public sphere or commercial domain, disparaged Phillips' faith as despicable or characterized it as merely rehetorical," and similar statements of the same tone.  They conclude that "The comments thus cast doubt on the fairness and impartiality of the Commission's adjudication of Phillips' case."

This is consistent with several recent court rulings that have taken into account statements made by Trump as to the basis for some of his executive orders ("MUSLIM BAN!")  There is some distinction, as some (but not all) of Trump's statements pre-dated his election to the office, but as they were statements made about the exact policy at issue, that distinction doesn't have much weight.  There's a lesson there for all public officials: if you publicly state a constitutionally impermissible basis for a policy decision, don't expect to get the benefit of the doubt.

This.  So case specific that the right will run with this as a huge victory over the gays, but it just isn't.  I did not read the whole thing.  Was it a do-over for the lower court to make a fact finding in light of some state ass-handedness,  or is it final judgement that the Baker was within his rights under those particular facts?

8 minutes ago, Mole said:

I know "both sides" and all, but if this is really how you feel, your worldview isn't much more righteous than the folks marching with tiki torches. Trump is an existential threat to our country (which is why I plan on voting straight D for the first time), but so is this. Dress up darkness however you like, it's still darkness. Hate cannot drive out hate.

No but you see briskets hate is justified

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Love it... "you folks".  You mean your fellow citizens, who for some reason you've chosen to label as racist because they voted differently than you. We/ they voted for reasons you simply cannot admit to which is they disliked a thoroughly corrupt Hillary Clinton, along with other reasons. Now we're all racist.

Correct.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, that's a lie, but you do you.

You’re full of shit.  The left has called every GOP candidate for president a racist going back at least the last 40 years.  

Yep. Even Mitt was a Nazi.  You can fuck right off with that denial. 

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think it has gotten worse over the last few decades, in fact it has very clearly gotten better. But it has visibly intensified over the last few years. And that is a trend line that I'd rather not see continue. I liked where we were going, but we now seem to be taking a detour. Well, hopefully it is just a detour and not a new destination. 

Racism is dying. Look at the demographics of places like Vidor, Port Neches, and Groves. It isn’t happening fast, and it sure won’t be a quiet death, but it is happening. Little mixed race grandbabies is what is going to kill it, not zealots

15 minutes ago, Mole said:

We tried love.  Love loses, because hate fights dirty, and fighting dirty wins.  The lesson of history, through the millenia, is simple -- hate wins.

You don't win your enemies over with love.  We tried that for decades.  They are only emboldened by the perceived weakness of their opponents -- and guess what?  They're right.  Hate, oppression and cruelty win.  Bet on them, every time.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

when they go low, we go high

Which lost her the fucking election.  Low wins.  Low is where the votes are.  You don't defeat evil with love.  We've run this drill before.  You defeat it with B-24s, Sherman tanks, B-29s, and atom bombs.

I'm sick of treating racist fuckholes like misunderstood unfortunate souls.  I'm sick of treating people who take joy in the suffering of anyone who disagrees with them (sweet libtears!) as folks who can be converted to decency.  They cannot be loved into kindness.  They cannot be reasoned with.  They can only be defeated, and they only respond to one weapon -- the one they understand so well that they wield it casually and habitually.  You go ahead and hug your enemy.  I'm gonna go the B-29 route.  I'm fucking sick of it.

And that makes me a shitty Christian.  But guess what?  I have something on the fucking hypocrites on their side -- at least I fucking admit it instead of lie about it.

Evil responds to only one kind of music.  Let's strike up the fucking band.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

You’re full of shit.  The left has called every GOP candidate for president a racist going back at least the last 40 years.  

Yep. Even Mitt was a Nazi.  You can fuck right off with that denial. 

Personally, I've never said it about any candidate on either side until Trump, so you can fuck right off in return.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We tried love.  Love loses, because hate fights dirty, and fighting dirty wins.  The lesson of history, through the millenia, is simple -- hate wins.

You don't win your enemies over with love.  We tried that for decades.  They are only emboldened by the perceived weakness of their opponents -- and guess what?  They're right.  Hate, oppression and cruelty win.  Bet on them, every time.

Which lost her the fucking election.  Low wins.  Low is where the votes are.  You don't defeat evil with love.  We've run this drill before.  You defeat it with B-24s, Sherman tanks, B-29s, and atom bombs.

I'm sick of treating racist fuckholes like misunderstood unfortunate souls.  I'm sick of treating people who take joy in the suffering of anyone who disagrees with them (sweet libtears!).  They cannot be loved into kindness.  They cannot be reasoned with.  They can only be defeated, and they only respond to one weapon -- the one they understand so well that they wield it casually and habitually.  You go ahead and hug your enemy.  I'm gonna go the B-29 route.  I'm fucking sick of it.

And that makes me a shitty Christian.  But guess what?  I have something on the fucking hypocrites on their side -- at least I fucking admit it instead of lie about it.

Evil responds to only one kind of music.  Let's strike up the fucking band.

Yeah. That’s why that wretched person lost. Because she went high and was all about loving the deplorables   

You have an aneurysm that has gone undiagnosed? 

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah. That’s why that wretched person lost. Because she went high and was all about loving the deplorables   

You have an aneurysm that has gone undiagnosed? 

You of all people should not be pointing fingers.  You actually have the intellect to separate truth from fiction and yet you refuse to do so.  I guess an IQ isn't everything.

You can’t admit the left did?  Every time?

"The left" is a pretty broad brush to paint with.  Did SOME on the left do this every time?  Probably.  Was it a significant campaign talking point every time?  Get the fuck out of here.

14 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

This.  So case specific that the right will run with this as a huge victory over the gays, but it just isn't.  I did not read the whole thing.  Was it a do-over for the lower court to make a fact finding in light of some state ass-handedness,  or is it final judgement that the Baker was within his rights under those particular facts?

It isn't a finding for the Baker. Although it isn't spelled out in the decision, it seems to me the most likely outcome will be to send it back to Colorado Commission. I'm not clear on whether that is something the lower court can just do, or whether an essentially new action has to be brought. 

The Commission’s hostility was inconsistent with the First Amendment’s guarantee that our laws be applied in a manner that is neutral toward religion. Phillips was entitled to a neutral decisionmaker who would give full and fair consideration to his religious objection as he sought to assert it in all of the circumstances in which this case was presented, considered, and decided. In this case the adjudication concerned a context that may well be different going forward in the respects noted above. However later cases raising these or similar concerns are resolved in the future, for these reasons the rulings of the Commission and of the state court that enforced the Commission’s order must be invalidated. The outcome of cases like this in other circumstances must await further elaboration in the courts, all in the context of recognizing that these disputes must be resolved with tolerance, without undue disrespect to sincere religious beliefs, and without subjecting gay persons to indignities when they seek goods and services in an open market. The judgment of the Colorado Court of Appeals is reversed.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

"The left" is a pretty broad brush to paint with.  Did SOME on the left do this every time?  Probably.  Was it a significant campaign talking point every time?  Get the fuck out of here.

Yes. Yes it was. Every republican in my life has been maligned as a racist and misogynist.  Every one. And it wasn’t just some small fringe allegation. 

Yes. Yes it was. Every republican in my life has been maligned as a racist and misogynist.  Every one. And it wasn’t just some small fringe allegation. 

I'm literally laughing so hard I'm crying.  You're also the moron who thinks Hillary is a crook.  Jesus, man, turn in your license and go work at HEB or something.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Go google “Saturday Night Live Gerald Ford”.  Then report back.  You sure as fuck know Reagan, Bush an Bush were “dimwit racist ” according to the left.  So yes.

Edited by Incredulity

Just now, Incredulity said:

Go google “Saturday Night Live Gerald Ford”.  Then report back.  You sure as fuck know Reagan, Bush an Bush were “dim” according to the left.  So yes.

Wait, the left painted Reagan and W (not so much GHWB) as "dim" so that's equivalent to saying they were racists?

I don't think so.

5 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I thin you're conflating two issues.  The integration of public schools is a totally separate argument.  The 14th Amendment mandates that everyone be treated equal under the law...i.e. the government can't discriminate.

That's much different than saying a baker has to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. 

The point I wrote was that sometimes the govt has to step in when lower forms of govt or the private sector discriminates. 

They called them racists. And having a war on women. Remember Romney’s binder full of women?

And now you fuckwits claim Trump hates gays. Yet he’s the first major party candidate who ran for president in his first term in favor of gay marriage.  Even Obama had to “evolve” on the issue. 

Go google “Saturday Night Live Gerald Ford”.  Then report back.  You sure as fuck know Reagan, Bush an Bush were “dim” according to the left.  So yes.

Again, the singular left is an interesting concept. At any rate, the charge we were discussing was Nazi and/or racist. I actually agree with you that generally conservative presidents have been presented in the media, particularly the pop media, as less intelligent. To some extent I think that view was cultivated by the republicans in order to appeal to the common man. But the characterization is in general unfair in my opinion. 

Old enough to have lived it.

Me too, but you're clearly in late stage dementia.  Reagan and W were just simple farmers.  People of the land.  The common clay of the New West.  You know, morons.

The idea that they were racists was never a significant theme of their elections whatsoever.