Austin FC

Bottlecap

Pereira and Coroso looked like exactly what we needed tonight. The difference between feeling the press and inviting it to make a quick move away from it, and the decision to try to slow down the press by holding the ball and trying to out-muscle them (Felipe/Ring). Felipe was such a bad choice for this matchup. And Tarbell..... man....

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if there is some better back line management with Stuver in there as well that prevents at least the second and fourth goal.  

Frustrating.  The new guy showed something though.  Want to see more of him.  And can we play Kolmanic and Gallagher together at outside back?  

Is Valencia still hurt or is he not good?  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, ztejas said:

Wasting that Driussi game kind of sucks... he was magnificent.

Maybe Driussi just figured out that the keepers in this league are mostly shit and he can pretty much score from anywhere. 

He had two ridiculous goals and should have had a couple of assists IIRC.  I haven't paid any attention to MLS until last year.  When a young guy comes on like this and is clearly a level above everyone else, is it a foregone conclusion that he won't be in the MLS much longer?  

23 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

When a young guy comes on like this and is clearly a level above everyone else, is it a foregone conclusion that he won't be in the MLS much longer?  

Can't answer that, but I looked it up and apparently he's making 2.3MM a year.

Dominguez was making 1.7MM LOL.  Fagundez 450k, MAxi 660, and stuver 185k.  Maybe Stuve has some performance bonuses, but jesus christ.  

1 hour ago, Chips O'Toole said:

When a young guy comes on like this and is clearly a level above everyone else, is it a foregone conclusion that he won't be in the MLS much longer?  

Absolutely not. For starters - he's 26 - so he's not a developmental target anymore and is past his transfer prime. Second, as Anastasis commented, he's making good money and living in an awesome city. Third, he already had a 3+ year stint at Zenit in Russia which is a solid team (granted one that plays in a shitty division). 

So... he's already done the Euro thing, he's in his playing prime but not his transfer prime, and he's in a pretty great situation where he's not only the star player on the team but one of the best players in the league. 

Could he get an itch to go play back in Europe? Sure - but it would be more of a grind and reentering the unknown for him. And a top side isn't going to buy him - he'd likely wind up at a low to mid-table team in one of the top 5 leagues and wouldn't have guaranteed playing time. Europe is just so fucking deep with quality players that are trying to really make it big. 

Also - there are plenty of guys in MLS that play at a similar level. He's a great player but he isn't above the competition. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

stuver 185k.  Maybe Stuve has some performance bonuses, but jesus christ.

Remember that Stuver was hired as the back-up keeper to Tarbell.  No doubt he beat out Tarbell in pre-season last year.  He has crushed it compared to Tarbell - at least the Tarbell that we saw on Sunday and in the away match he started after Stu injured himself in the Houston game.  Stuver will be able to get a much better contract the next time - rightfully so. 

20 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Do ticket prices drop closer to match day at all?  Looking to hit up my 1st AFC game and looking at LAFC on 8/26...lowest ticket price is $120 before fees??  Both USMNT matches vs Jamaica and Grenada were nowhere near that.  

You're talking about what could be the biggest MLS game of the season. Of course it's going to be expensive. 

12 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

And Bale and Chiallini…….  Would not be stunned if it’s the most expensive ticket since opening day last year. 

It would almost have to be. Unless we really take a nose dive in the standings. 

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're talking about what could be the biggest MLS game of the season. Of course it's going to be expensive. 

Fair enough - I was looking at the game because the date worked for me more than anything.  Next game vs Portland prices are much more reasonable, but still pretty steep for an 8:00 start on a weeknight.  Those late starts are the suck.

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Fair enough - I was looking at the game because the date worked for me more than anything.  Next game vs Portland prices are much more reasonable, but still pretty steep for an 8:00 start on a weeknight.  Those late starts are the suck.

I am aware that I didn't really answer your question, someone else here could probably give you better advice for buying tickets. I don't think it's a scenario where you can just snipe one last minute as the place only seats 20k and it's going to be packed the fuck out. Waiting longer to buy could work or it could burn you. We need some help from them in the standings to have a shot at the shield as they're up 7 right now - but a W of course makes up 3 points. If the 26th rolls around and we're within 3 or 4 points and you haven't bought a ticket yet I'd be prepared to sell a kidney. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I thought 8 would be tough too but we went to one and game is over by 1015 latest and you can be in car and out within 30 minutes of final whistle.  Think about the pain in ass of getting in and out of UT football games but the exact opposite.  It’s the best part about the live games.  I recommend buying parking ahead of time through Pavemint but you don’t have to.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Game being over at 1015 and to your car by 1045 isn't exactly a selling point for me. 😂😂😂  I'll never understand any sporting event starting past 7pm.  It is what it is and still better than the 9pm start of the Grenada match.  So far the best access I've found is parking near Braker/Kramer and riding bikes over.  The bike valet is ridiculously easy and you avoid all the traffic.

Appreciate the help!