The NBA's GOAT -- MJ? Lebron? The Field?

Patrick Bateman

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, longhornmatt said:

I would take Lebron over Bird, but a prime Larry Bird was pretty amazing.  It’s not an indefensible take.

Jordan still scored around 30 a game on a good FG% and won titles every year in the late 90s when he was way past his athletic prime and the style of play was murderball.  I know it’s an unprovable hypothetical, but I’m convinced a 1991 Michael Jordan would average 40 a game in today’s league.  Yeah, athletes get bigger, stronger, faster in each new generation, but if James Harden can get anywhere on the court he wants and to the FT line at will, I’m pretty sure MJ could deal with the level of modern athleticism.

I don't consider it indefensible either, Bird was a spectacular player.  If you consider Bird a SF (he would more likely be a PF today) I would easily have him at # 2 behind LeBron.  I have Durant at # 3 all-time at that position, and he's a superior scorer to both Bird and LeBron, but Bird's passing (very elite like LeBron) and rebounding were fantastic too and Bird was no slouch at scoring obviously.  I wonder how Bird would fare (at least offensively) in today's game.

4 hours ago, NowThis said:

my all time starting 5.  Each player must be adept at passing, most important item. 

Jordan, Lebron, Bird, Kareem, Tim Duncan. 

That's a pretty good team.  I'd tweak slightly for today's game:

PG - Magic Johnson

SG - MJ

SF - LeBron James

PF - Bird (really tough to not include Duncan)

C - Kareem (very very tough to not seriously consider Hakeem)

Wilt Chamberlain is my vote for the best ever. He is the best athlete to ever play the game. He excelled at many sports. The fact you guys aren’t even including him in your list of top ten is so laughable it’s unreal.

Chamberlain is the only player to score 100 points in a single NBA game,

Only player to average more than 40 and 50 points in a season.

He won seven scoring, eleven rebounding, nine field goal percentage titles and led the league in assists once.

Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, which he accomplished seven times.

He is also the only player to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game over the entire course of his NBA career.

Chamberlain had a successful won two NBA championships, four regular-season Most Valuable Player awards, the Rookie of the Year award, one NBA Finals MVP award, and was selected to 13 All-Star Games and ten All-NBA First and Second teams.

He was so dominant that he forced the NBA to change rules because of him. They had to widen the lane because with his reach he could post up anyone and just finger roll into the basket from outside the lane! Teams started just packing in the lane to stop him so they widened it.

He forced the NBA to adopt goal tending because he blocked so many shots it became unfair.

He forced the NBA to make a new rule that you couldn’t leap from the free throw line because he started jumping from the line and finger rolling in free throws.

He forced the NBA to quit letting you jump up when taking the ball out of bounds. He could jump so high no one could stop him from leaping up and passing uninstructed.

IHe could pick a silver dollar off the top of the backboard. In his first varsity game at Kansas he scored 52 points and grabbed 31 rebounds.

He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, shot-putted 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Wilt Chamberlain is my vote for the best ever. He is the best athlete to ever play the game. He excelled at many sports. The fact you guys aren’t even including him in your list of top ten is so laughable it’s unreal.

Chamberlain is the only player to score 100 points in a single NBA game,

Only player to average more than 40 and 50 points in a season.

He won seven scoring, eleven rebounding, nine field goal percentage titles and led the league in assists once.

Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, which he accomplished seven times.

He is also the only player to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game over the entire course of his NBA career.

Chamberlain had a successful won two NBA championships, four regular-season Most Valuable Player awards, the Rookie of the Year award, one NBA Finals MVP award, and was selected to 13 All-Star Games and ten All-NBA First and Second teams.

He was so dominant that he forced the NBA to change rules because of him. They had to widen the lane because with his reach he could post up anyone and just finger roll into the basket from outside the lane! Teams started just packing in the lane to stop him so they widened it.

He forced the NBA to adopt goal tending because he blocked so many shots it became unfair.

He forced the NBA to make a new rule that you couldn’t leap from the free throw line because he started jumping from the line and finger rolling in free throws.

He forced the NBA to quit letting you jump up when taking the ball out of bounds. He could jump so high no one could stop him from leaping up and passing uninstructed.

IHe could pick a silver dollar off the top of the backboard. In his first varsity game at Kansas he scored 52 points and grabbed 31 rebounds.

He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, shot-putted 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years.

The thing that makes Jordan better in my book versus Chaimberlain and LeBron is the competition that he played against while being so dominant.

Want to compare the other greats of the eras?  Both other players will run out of bullets way the fuck before Jordan.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

The thing that makes Jordan better in my book versus Chaimberlain and LeBron is the competition that he played against while being so dominant.

Want to compare the other greats of the eras?  Both other players will run out of bullets way the fuck before Jordan.

Maybe but history is going to look back fondly on LeBron dominating a finals against a team that had Westbrook,  Durant, and Harden on it.

Im a Kansas guy, so I’m supposed to drive the Wilt train...but I just can’t do it. His counting stats are a perfect storm of insane pace of the era, nobody being able to shoot, and most teams having to guard him with a guy that would be selling insurance in even the 80s NBA. It’s not even clear he was better than Russell, and nobody but trolling haters would “yeah but” Jordan or LeBron with another player from their era. Wilt can simultaneously be an athletic freak that caused rule changes and not quite be the best player of all time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Maybe but history is going to look back fondly on LeBron dominating a finals against a team that had Westbrook,  Durant, and Harden on it.

The 2011 MIA 3-some were in their prime, having started the league in 2003

OKC only had KD going into his peak, as it was the 4th season for Westbrook, and only the 3rd for Harden, who was still coming off the bench that year

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

OKC only had KD going into his peak, as it was the 4th season for Westbrook, and only the 3rd for Harden, who was still coming off the bench that year

I don’t know that that matters so much in say 20 years when we’re comparing skins on the wall, that’s the point I was referring to. History isn’t written on LeBron’s “bullets” in that debate, because most are still playing.

Im a Kansas guy, so I’m supposed to drive the Wilt train...but I just can’t do it. His counting stats are a perfect storm of insane pace of the era, nobody being able to shoot, and most teams having to guard him with a guy that would be selling insurance in even the 80s NBA. It’s not even clear he was better than Russell, and nobody but trolling haters would “yeah but” Jordan or LeBron with another player from their era. Wilt can simultaneously be an athletic freak that caused rule changes and not quite be the best player of all time.

Wilt’s performances in the playoffs were pedestrian. And he couldnt shoot free throws. Both him and Shaq were detrimental to their teams down the stretch.

6 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

I don’t know that that matters so much in say 20 years when we’re comparing skins on the wall, that’s the point I was referring to. History isn’t written on LeBron’s “bullets” in that debate, because most are still playing.

Has another team ever had 3 MVPs?   That will be an interesting nugget as time goes on.

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Wilt’s performances in the playoffs were pedestrian. And he couldnt shoot free throws. Both him and Shaq were detrimental to their teams down the stretch.

Yeah, I know all the excuses: "It's a team game"; "He didn't get to the Lakers until he was past his physical prime"; "The Celtics of that era were as close to unbeatable as it comes."

I get all that.....but the best player in NBA history HAS to have more than two titles to his name. Especially as a literal giant among completely outmatched "little" (like 6'8") men. His only peer (Russell) got the best of him time and time again, and is maybe the greatest leader and team player the sport has ever known.

The questions about Wilt's drive and motivations are valid (and legendary).

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I get all that.....but the best player in NBA history HAS to have more than two titles to his name.

I also realize that I'm being a giant hypocrite here because I'm the first to point out how much luck (namely where you're drafted or where you end up) plays a part in legacy and greatness. And players like Wilt didn't have nearly the freedom that they do today.

Dominique probably has an entirely different legacy if he and Larry Bird switched places for the bulk of their careers. MJ isn't MJ if he's drafted by the Bullets instead of the Bulls. LeBron likely doesn't have a single ring had he never left Cleveland, and no one would have him in the GOAT conversation, stats be damned.

So it's reasonable to wonder, had Wilt found his way onto the Celtics instead of Russell during that era, would he have the ridiculous stats AND almost two handfuls of rings. 

I just personally think that there's more to team success than the overall collection of talent, and Russell still would have gotten the better of him in other circumstances.

Edited by aggie08

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, 52-80 said:

Totally agree logically but in 20 years casual fans will not even consider this much at all but more observant NBA people (by far a much much smaller minority) will understand this fact.  

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:58 AM, VolenteHawk said:

I'm with you here a lot even though I think Wilt is easily a Top 10 player of all-time, but probably not in my Top 3-4.  I think it is very difficult to compare eras so easily, but one thing you can try and do is compare amongst peers, and I have hard time having him so easily over Russell as it's very debatable to me either way depending on what one believes is most important in defining greatness and/or "better" in one's eyes.  I have no problem saying that in my opinion MJ is the best of his era and LeBron of this era, but much harder with me for Wilt/Russell.

• 3 weeks later...

For basketball nerds only, but one person's take on some GOAT discussion.  I don't agree with some of the conclusions and how it was put together, but it was still a lot of work and much more well though out than I expected when I first starting reading it.  I agreed with his first three though I have them in a different order, and I really agree with how high he placed Hakeem and Duncan, who are usually lower on most GOAT lists as I personally think they are slightly underrated for GOAT.

http://www.backpicks.com/tag/all-time-basketball-players/

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 1:43 PM, UTDD said:

For basketball nerds only, but one person's take on some GOAT discussion.  I don't agree with some of the conclusions and how it was put together, but it was still a lot of work and much more well though out than I expected when I first starting reading it.  I agreed with his first three though I have them in a different order, and I really agree with how high he placed Hakeem and Duncan, who are usually lower on most GOAT lists as I personally think they are slightly underrated for GOAT.

http://www.backpicks.com/tag/all-time-basketball-players/

longevity has it's place -- MLK

but Dirk over Bird? I guess playing forever is a measure, but can't agree with THAT. 

1 hour ago, sheeeit said:

Jordan is best ever, imo.  2 deep starting all great team:

Magic, Curry

MJ, Kobe

Lebron, Bird, KD

Duncan, Barkley

Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt

Not bad.  Maybe I'd consider swapping Russell for Wilt, but that's about it.

This is why I always laugh when Kobe fans get all bent out of shape when someone says that he's not in the Top 10.  The NBA's Top 9 is insane...almost impenetrable.  In some order:

MJ

LeBron

Magic

Bird

Kareem

Duncan

Hakeem

Russell

Wilt

That tenth spot can only be one of KD, The Logo, Shaq, Kobe, Oscar, a couple of other guys that I'm probably spacing on.  There's no shame at all in being #13, or whatever.

I agree with you that Steph is now the 2nd best point guard in NBA history (he's past Isiah, and I tend to think Oscar is a bit overrated), and he'll be lucky to crack the top 20.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

This is why I always laugh when Kobe fans get all bent out of shape when someone says that he's not in the Top 10.  The NBA's Top 9 is insane...almost impenetrable.  In some order:

MJ

LeBron

Magic

Bird

Kareem

Duncan

Hakeem

Russell

Wilt

That tenth spot can only be one of KD, The Logo, Shaq, Kobe, Oscar, a couple of other guys that I'm probably spacing on.  There's no shame at all in being #13, or whatever.

I agree with you that Steph is now the 2nd best point guard in NBA history (he's past Isiah, and I tend to think Oscar is a bit overrated), and he'll be lucky to crack the top 20.

I'd prolly put KG over Barkley.

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

MJ

LeBron

Magic

Bird

Kareem

Duncan

Hakeem

Russell

Wilt

That list is definitely my top 9 as well in a different order here and there, and I'd have Shaq tenth.  I think KD will end up kind of close but not in the Top ten (11-15) and I think Curry could crack the Top 15 or so.  My Mount Rushmore four would be MJ, LeBron, Kareem, and Russell.

17 hours ago, aggie08 said:

MJ

LeBron

Magic

Bird

Kareem

Duncan

Hakeem

Russell

Wilt

I love the topic. I think the top 8 is unassailable. In some order: MJ, LBJ, Kareem, Russel, Magic, Wilt, Duncan and Bird. 9-12 is really, really tough to me.  Take your pick between Hakeem, Logo, Shaq, Kobe, Oscar, and KD. I think either Dirk and Moses Malone are right behind those guys at 15/16. 

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I love the topic. I think the top 8 is unassailable. In some order: MJ, LBJ, Kareem, Russel, Magic, Wilt, Duncan and Bird. 9-12 is really, really tough to me.  Take your pick between Hakeem, Logo, Shaq, Kobe, Oscar, and KD. I think either Dirk and Moses Malone are right behind those guys at 15/16. 

Love the topic also.  My only question is on Russel.  I feel like every other guy on the list would dominate in any era.  They could all score.  I do not think Russel would be great in the modern era.  He was just too limited offensively and he was not nearly as athletic as the rest of the list.  Every other guy on that list you could feed the ball to late and they would deliver.  Not Russel.  Certainly one of the very best in his era, but not in my top 20 all time.  I also think KD will get into the conversation of top 10.

1 hour ago, sheeeit said:

Love the topic also.  My only question is on Russel.  I feel like every other guy on the list would dominate in any era.  They could all score.  I do not think Russel would be great in the modern era.  He was just too limited offensively and he was not nearly as athletic as the rest of the list.  Every other guy on that list you could feed the ball to late and they would deliver.  Not Russel.  Certainly one of the very best in his era, but not in my top 20 all time.  I also think KD will get into the conversation of top 10.

Whoa!  Full stop.

17 minutes ago, d2o said:

Whoa!  Full stop.

LOL  Yes bad term by me.  Athletic is not what I meant.  Not sure the right word.  Skilled?  Basically he was just a very poor shooter.   Not a guy a team could lean on down the stretch offensively.  All the other guys on the list were great defenders as well as the first option on offense and all had the ability to score consistently in the 4th quarter.  In an era that had massive scoring (like 118/game and almost 150 possessions per game versus 100 or so now) Russell only averaged about 12 pts per game after they widened the lane.  He literally only made 3-4 shots a game that were not dunks or free throws.  The other guys on the list averaged that many in the 4th quarter alone.  

Bottom line, if you could take any player on the list in their absolute prime to start your team with in todays era, very very few would pick Russell.

MJ would probably be better playing against the competition and more importantly the rules/foul calls today than in his era. LBJ might (probably would) have performed worse in 80s era. MJ wins. 

Drafting a mythical all time team and getting LBJ at #2 is nothing to be sad about for fanboy GM. 

On 2/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, sheeeit said:

LOL  Yes bad term by me.  Athletic is not what I meant.  Not sure the right word.  Skilled?  Basically he was just a very poor shooter.   Not a guy a team could lean on down the stretch offensively.  All the other guys on the list were great defenders as well as the first option on offense and all had the ability to score consistently in the 4th quarter.  In an era that had massive scoring (like 118/game and almost 150 possessions per game versus 100 or so now) Russell only averaged about 12 pts per game after they widened the lane.  He literally only made 3-4 shots a game that were not dunks or free throws.  The other guys on the list averaged that many in the 4th quarter alone.  

Bottom line, if you could take any player on the list in their absolute prime to start your team with in todays era, very very few would pick Russell.

Yeah, that would be the only argument against Russell: every other player in the Top 10ish players is an offensive force, and, let's face it, offense is just more important than defense.

But, at some point, you have to factor is intangibles, leadership, drive, etc.  From all the stories, Bill's teammates would have laid down in traffic if he asked them to.

57 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

MJ would probably be better playing against the competition and more importantly the rules/foul calls today than in his era. LBJ might (probably would) have performed worse in 80s era. MJ wins. 

Drafting a mythical all time team and getting LBJ at #2 is nothing to be sad about for fanboy GM. 

Why do you think this?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Gary Payton still has pieces of John Stockton in his poops.

Stockton > Payton.   Stockton is the nba all time leader in steals, while GP was overrated as the Glove.  That little white guy, despite a league of quick long freaks, by far has the most steals.  Amazing. 

Best thing was that he told his teammates he was going to do it before the game. It’s funny, I hated Bird and those Celtics when I was growing up, but I’ve come to really like them the more I’ve watched and read about them. I even like Kevin McHale although I had started to soften on him after his appearances on Cheers.

37 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There is literally no more overrated way to measure defense than to look at steals.

In fact, the two most overrated stats in basketball are steals and assists, which is pretty much all Stockton. 

anyone can say that about any stat.  Steals do prevent a bucket though. 

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

anyone can say that about any stat.  Steals do prevent a bucket though. 

Allen Iverson routinely led the league in steals, and Steph Curry led the league in one of his MVP years.

AI was a horrendous defender, and people roll their eyes every time that I try to defend Steph as even an average defender. Steals primarily show basketball IQ and a willingness to gamble; both are nice skills to have, but not always indicative of a lockdown defender.

That's not to say that Stockton isn't great and tough as nails, but players feared his dirty little tricks more than his actual defensive acumen. 

43 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Allen Iverson routinely led the league in steals, and Steph Curry led the league in one of his MVP years.

AI was a horrendous defender, and people roll their eyes every time that I try to defend Steph as even an average defender. Steals primarily show basketball IQ and a willingness to gamble; both are nice skills to have, but not always indicative of a lockdown defender.

That's not to say that Stockton isn't great and tough as nails, but players feared his dirty little tricks more than his actual defensive acumen. 

steals don't mean a person is a bad defender, it's always a positive. To compare Stockton to bad defenders isn't a good analogy. With him, a steal was almost always a 4 point swing given that he had an open court most of the time, back when big guys were not fast.  Dude was fundamentally pure, not fast, not quick, can't jump, played forever, able to keep his team with Jordan with almost no talent except Malone. He's truly incredible.