The worldwide assault on democracy

Satchel

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Were the "rights" to own slaves universal? If so, are they still valid today? 

I just watched the entirety of Ken Burns' Civil War today.  We should never have allowed those traitors off the hook.  My whole family is from Texas starting in the early 1800s.  I might not have existed had we punished them properly.  It would have been the right choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just watched the entirety of Ken Burns' Civil War today.  We should never have allowed those traitors off the hook.  My whole family is from Texas starting in the early 1800s.  I might not have existed had we punished them properly.  It would have been the right choice.

Hey Charlie, sorry about that slavery thing, here is your 5 acres and a mule

Next week

Hey Charlie, sorry your mule was poisoned and your land was salted.

Next week

Where did Charlie go?
I don’t know, he was a lazy n***** anyway..

We're all aware that a large percentage of the GOP believe that the 2020 election was stolen for Trump. A smaller percentage have questions about the legitimacy, and an even smaller percent publicly proclaim it to be fully legitimate. 

And the few top GOP officials, who know the election was real, refuse to address it. They either claim they've already been clear on it (they haven't) or that there are outstanding questions (there aren't any.)

But with ever increasing evidence, the GOP was the side that was actively trying to steal the election.  Here's a GA county official allowing Trump lawyers to have illegal access to the machines and data. Link. I also think that we're still waiting on the GOP to prove that any votes were illegally cast for Biden outside of the handful of illegal votes that always occur (for both sides.) They can't produce any evidence and deflect by saying all of the courts and admin are corrupt.

Not to be an alarmist but many illegitimate govt actions over the centuries are all based on initial lies. Usually creating a false scenario to justify their suspension of law.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:19 PM, Satchel said:

Now, to that bastion of freedom and liberty, Texas:

new Texas statute requiring schools to display posters of the national motto if donated notes that such signs cannot depict words other than “In God We Trust” or images other than the state and American flags.

Recently, Southlake trustees accepted some such posters but rejected others with the national motto.

The Carroll school district earlier this month received a shipment of such signs, with the all-capital letters displayed in white, on a blue background, above the American flag. The posters were donated by Patriot Mobile, a Christian wireless provider tied to a political action committee that spent big money to help elect conservatives to North Texas school board seats, including in Southlake

If people hung "In God We Trust" signs in my school at the time I went there, within 72 hours someone would have taken a sharpie, crossed out  the "Tr" and added a "B."

FRONTLINE’s season premiere investigates American political leaders and choices they’ve made that have undermined and threatened democracy in the U.S.

In a two-hour documentary special premiering ahead of the 2022 midterms, FRONTLINE examines how officials fed the public lies about the 2020 presidential election and embraced rhetoric that led to political violence.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/lies-politics-and-democracy/

On 9/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, TwiceHorn said:

This is not a universally held truth.  This is the product of the "natural law" philosophy, which itself grew out of "ecclesiastical law," that is, the law that came from holy scripture, and would include Sharia law.

Even "natural" laws seem to be intrinsically bound up with humankind's ability to understand and articulate them, one aspect of which is just to write them down in some type of holy scripture, or Code of Hammurabi, or pick your source.  When you get right down to it, as in the case of abortion. which pits natural law notions of self-determination and autonomy against sanctity of life, the natural law philosophy gives no way to arbitrate between the two.

Indeed, writing down and ratifying the BIll of Rights was a triumph of legal realism or positivism over natural law.  As is, arguably, the entire US Constitution, and any constitution of any kind anywhere. The former two are legal philosophies that laws and rights emanate solely from man, although they may be divinely inspired.

It's been years since I've studied the subject but from what I remember it was Grotius that started the pivot away from Thomastic natural law towards a more secular underpinning. Although Grotius still fell back on the concept of a biblical natural law theory. Of course the theory continued to evolve through the enlightenment where Reason was replaced God but as you have noted there is still the appeal to the divine inspiration.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's been years since I've studied the subject but from what I remember it was Grotius that started the pivot away from Thomastic natural law towards a more secular underpinning. Although Grotius still fell back on the concept of a biblical natural law theory. Of course the theory continued to evolve through the enlightenment where Reason was replaced God but as you have noted there is still the appeal to the divine inspiration.

As usual, my knowledge on the subject is an inch deep.  I've never taken a philosophy class, eo nomine, or theology.  But the source and origin of laws and rights was a fairly constant topic in law school.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Frontline is must see TV.

It is. So are Nature, NOVA, American Experience, and American Masters. PBS NewsHour is a great source for news. There’s a lot of good programming on PBS.

I don’t know about your affiliate but mine runs The Best of The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross every Saturday morning at 6:30. I can see even more of Bob plus a lot of great cooking shows on Create TV which is one of their digital sub channels. (Caught all of BBQ with Franklin on there.)

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It is. So are Nature, NOVA, American Experience, and American Masters. PBS NewsHour is a great source for news. There’s a lot of good programming on PBS.

Uhhh . . . Antiques Roadshow?

(It's the litmus test for realizing you're old.  I'm old.)