Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

So here's a thought. WEC races here next September 1, and we all know what kind of heat that will mean. They have cooling in the cars, but the rules just say they have to keep it 7C about outside ambient temps. That means they could very likely have temps around 120F in their closed cockpit cars. For 6 hours.

27 minutes ago, wood said:

So here's a thought. WEC races here next September 1, and we all know what kind of heat that will mean. They have cooling in the cars, but the rules just say they have to keep it 7C about outside ambient temps. That means they could very likely have temps around 120F in their closed cockpit cars. For 6 hours.

Fuck that shit

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wood said:

*above.

Can someone start doing my typing for me? JFC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

For so many reasons, major sporting events should not be considered for that part of the world.

Maybe, but next Sept 1 for WEC the temp will likely be a little hotter and the humidity a lot higher here than it was in Qatar today. And we'll have football games, baseball, racing, and more going on.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

That's so incredibly unsafe.  They simply can't allow race conditions like that.

They also should not have races in countries where missile attacks occur or governments put out statements supporting terrorists and condemning a sovereign nation but maybe that’s just me. 

• Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, wood said:

Maybe, but next Sept 1 for WEC the temp will likely be a little hotter and the humidity a lot higher here than it was in Qatar today. And we'll have football games, baseball, racing, and more going on.

Weather is just one of the reasons. World Cup worked around the weather and it was still a stupid idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Weather is just one of the reasons. World Cup worked around the weather and it was still a stupid idea.

Oh yeah I understand the political reasons. I just meant weather isn't a good enough reason to not have the events imho. Apparently next year this race is 6 weeks later, which people are saying is significantly cooler there.

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

That's so incredibly unsafe.  They simply can't allow race conditions like that.

they are moving it back in the season. they have a contract there until 2032.

so we are going to get a contract until 2032 at Qatar, 2036 at Bahrain and 2030 at the Saudi Arabian GP.

meanwhile we are going to lose the historical tracks in Europe and add some more shitty street races in parking lots.

• Rage+1 3

Ocon has a very high level of physical dedication, even by the standards of F1 drivers.“I can normally do two race distances, even in Singapore,” he said. “Physically, like muscle-wise and cardio-wise, I’m always fine.” But not in Qatar. “I was not expecting for the race to be that hard.”

his team/Ocon absolutely thought this would be a great line showing how badass he is lol

Lewis Hamilton faced a robust investigation from the FIA stewards for two distinct incidents during the eventful Qatar Grand Prix. Despite his Lap 1 retirement from the race, the seven-time World Champion encountered scrutiny for his role in the collision with George Russell and his hasty return to the pits, resulting in a hefty fine and a reprimand.

Key Takeaways

Lewis Hamilton's attempted overtaking manoeuvre around teammate George Russell led to a collision, spinning both cars, but was deemed a typical "Lap 1, Turn 1" incident by stewards, absolving all drivers from sole blame.

Post-crash, Hamilton's dash back to the pit lane across an active track contravened Article 26.7 (b) of F1’s Sporting Regulations, attracting staunch criticism and a hefty fine for endangering himself and other drivers.

The Mercedes driver was handed a €50,000 fine (with €25,000 suspended) and a reprimand, signaling a stern warning against any further infractions this season, which could precipitate severe penalties in accordance with F1 regulations.

https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/f1-news-lewis-hamilton-slapped-with-staggering-fine-after-qatar-gp-error-lm22

1 hour ago, NoName said:

they are moving it back in the season. they have a contract there until 2032.

so we are going to get a contract until 2032 at Qatar, 2036 at Bahrain and 2030 at the Saudi Arabian GP.

meanwhile we are going to lose the historical tracks in Europe and add some more shitty street races in parking lots.

Fucking boo. Do these tracks even get attendance? I thought I saw a graphic saying the weekend attendance was something like 130,000. Normally that's 300-400,000+.

Hate watching a race and feeling conflicted because it's in some of these places.

28 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Fucking boo. Do these tracks even get attendance? I thought I saw a graphic saying the weekend attendance was something like 130,000. Normally that's 300-400,000+.

Hate watching a race and feeling conflicted because it's in some of these places.

yeah they said it was sold out during the sprint race i thought but the parking lots looked like they were maybe two thirds full? lol

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Mark Webber's "Waving at marshals" tweet from the driver parade truck at Bahrain back when it was held during the day is still an all-timer for me. 

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Lewis Hamilton faced a robust investigation from the FIA stewards for two distinct incidents during the eventful Qatar Grand Prix. Despite his Lap 1 retirement from the race, the seven-time World Champion encountered scrutiny for his role in the collision with George Russell and his hasty return to the pits, resulting in a hefty fine and a reprimand.

Key Takeaways

Lewis Hamilton's attempted overtaking manoeuvre around teammate George Russell led to a collision, spinning both cars, but was deemed a typical "Lap 1, Turn 1" incident by stewards, absolving all drivers from sole blame.

Post-crash, Hamilton's dash back to the pit lane across an active track contravened Article 26.7 (b) of F1’s Sporting Regulations, attracting staunch criticism and a hefty fine for endangering himself and other drivers.

The Mercedes driver was handed a €50,000 fine (with €25,000 suspended) and a reprimand, signaling a stern warning against any further infractions this season, which could precipitate severe penalties in accordance with F1 regulations.

https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/f1-news-lewis-hamilton-slapped-with-staggering-fine-after-qatar-gp-error-lm22

They left out one key takeaway - that the stewards found Lewis 'predominantly at fault'.

So that's 3 similar incidents for Lewis in the last year or so, where he's chopping down on someone on his right that he knows is there. This one, on Alonso at Spa 2022, and on Piastri at Monza. Seems like he just thinks he's clear of the other car when he isn't (giving him the benefit of the doubt), or possibly he just doesn't care or thinks the other guy will back out. Not good in any of those scenarios. Really seems to me like he's misjudging it for some reason.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

F1 has zero fucks to give about attendance. That money goes to the circuit. They want sanctioning fees and TV/merch money. Remember what Bernie used to call the crowd? The "studio audience".

• Haha 1

F1 sellouts remind me of the Carl Weathers scene with Tobias in Arrested Development. 140,000? That happens to be our exact sold-out capacity for the race!

Tobias: Oh, well, I'm afraid all I have is $1,100 and that's for this plane ticket, so...
Carl Weathers: Check this out. $1,100 is exactly what I charge for acting classes.
Tobias: No, it isn't!
Carl Weathers: Yeah.
Tobias: Well, what are the chance... [chuckles] Universe, you've done it again.

12 hours ago, wood said:

5382dd61-8bbd-4d64-833f-783e0f1bb69d_tex

In other news, I just saw this and chortled. Wish there was a gif for it.

F1 Standings:

Alpine: 90

Alonso: 183

i forgot they lost Alonso and Piastri in a 24 hour period

what horrific mismanagement.

more funny tweets:

this is why they are going to dump Checo. will they try to subsidize his seat elsewhere? the only seats that are open due to contracts ending are Kmag at Haas and Sargent at Williams right? idk how williams would or could turn Lawson down. at this point there is some money to be made by using that 2nd seat for a hot young talent and keeping them for a few years.

Alfa said they are keeping Zhou. AT confirmed Danny and Yuki. Stroll i assume is around as long as he wants to.

going to be a ton of seats open in 24.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Give it one more race and Piastri will be ahead of Alpine too. Just goes to show, you can never go wrong by leaving Renault/Alpine. 

Man, I'm really happy to see Piastri kick some ass and McLaren compete. I fully believe that Merc won't be kept down forever. That car seemed fast in Qatar and if you take out LH goof, that would have been two cars fighting for a podium. Ferrari just seems to be like Texas football and wandering the desert with occasional flashes of brilliance. But Piastri seems like the real deal if McLaren can keep a competitive car, that's three teams fighting for podiums.

Maybe Red Bull can get a second driver and maybe Ferrari can occasionally challenge and then we can have 6-8 drivers fighting at the top.

47 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Was surprised to see Ocon more hated than Stroll in the surly straw poll, btw.

does stroll have a long history of being cunty to teammates, having an incredibly high sense of his value and talent and generally being a jerk?

what's the issue with stroll? outside of people not liking him for being a pay driver? hes always seemed fairly normal outside of that to me.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

From the 'you can't make this shit up' files:

Formula 1 to change building name to avoid 1 October shooter affiliation

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/formula-1/formula-1-to-change-building-name-to-avoid-1-october-shooter-affiliation-2899481/amp/

Formula One representative Stephanie Allen said race officials had recently been told of the correlation of the use of the word “paddock” on their building site with the name Stephen Paddock, the gunman who perpetrated the worst mass shooting in U.S. history during the Las Vegas Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 1, 2017.

And then there's this bit of good news as wel. : /

Pirelli extended to 2027 after beating out Bridgestone.

www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.pirelli-to-continue-as-formula-1s-exclusive-tyre-supplier-until-2027.7xJIxJyMe84N3p7k4iIMjK.html

Edited by wood

7 minutes ago, wood said:

From the 'you can't make this shit up' files:

Formula 1 to change building name to avoid 1 October shooter affiliation

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/formula-1/formula-1-to-change-building-name-to-avoid-1-october-shooter-affiliation-2899481/amp/

And then there's this bit of good news as wel. : /

Pirelli extended to 2027 after beating out Bridgestone.

www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.pirelli-to-continue-as-formula-1s-exclusive-tyre-supplier-until-2027.7xJIxJyMe84N3p7k4iIMjK.html

'Merica. 

I'm sure there are stats somewhere, but the time between Max being a 0-time world champion and a 3-time winner is likely a record never to be broken.

Won the 1st championship on December 12, 2021
Won the 2nd championship on October 9, 2022 (301 days)
Won the 3rd championship on October 7, 2023 (664 days)

So he went from 0 to 3 in just under 1 year, 10 months.

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

He has zero personality and shoving his trainer was not a good look.  Then that interview.  Oof.

seriously, spoiled billionaire being pouty is a terrible look. There’s rumors Pap Stroll will sell to a Saudi group and have Aston focus on WEC with Lance moving over there. That would certainly be interesting. 

While we’re at it, there’s also rumors Audi’s not going Greta with development and their Board is reviewing whether to scrap the F1 move. It could open up another avenue for Andretti, if true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

He has zero personality and shoving his trainer was not a good look.  Then that interview.  Oof.

39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

seriously, spoiled billionaire being pouty is a terrible look. There’s rumors Pap Stroll will sell to a Saudi group and have Aston focus on WEC with Lance moving over there. That would certainly be interesting. 

While we’re at it, there’s also rumors Audi’s not going Greta with development and their Board is reviewing whether to scrap the F1 move. It could open up another avenue for Andretti, if true. 

so to be clear you guys don't like stroll because he has no personality and is rich

meanwhile we have a guy who has a long history of being an asshole on and off the track, who raced a leader so hard he crashed him FIVE YEARS AGO, who is cunty to basically all the teammates hes had, had a number of crashes and near crashes with his teammates on the track and who stopped talking to Gasly years ago because he was getting beat by Pierre

but sure. rich guy = bad. actually asshole = less bad?

Mad Come On GIF by UEFA

I DIDN'T EVEN BRING UP HIS ASSHOLE REAL NAME. ITS SIX WORDS LONG. IT HAS TWO HYPHENS.

AND HE'S FRENCH.

Spoiler

Esteban José Jean-Pierre Ocon-Khelfane

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

so to be clear you guys don't like stroll because he has no personality and is rich

meanwhile we have a guy who has a long history of being an asshole on and off the track, who raced a leader so hard he crashed him FIVE YEARS AGO, who is cunty to basically all the teammates hes had, had a number of crashes and near crashes with his teammates on the track and who stopped talking to Gasly years ago because he was getting beat by Pierre

but sure. rich guy = bad. actually asshole = less bad?

Mad Come On GIF by UEFA

I DIDN'T EVEN BRING UP HIS ASSHOLE REAL NAME. ITS SIX WORDS LONG. IT HAS TWO HYPHENS.

AND HE'S FRENCH.

Reveal hidden contents

Esteban José Jean-Pierre Ocon-Khelfane

Posts like these are why I consider you an autist. Ocon is my least likeable driver on the grid.  Saying something negative about Stroll doesn’t mean I like Ocon more. There’s also a ton of reason to not like Stroll beyond just him being rich. He constantly causes accidents and comes off like a whiny baby. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Posts like these are why I consider you an autist. Ocon is my least likeable driver on the grid.  Saying something negative about Stroll doesn’t mean I like Ocon more. There’s also a ton of reason to not like Stroll beyond just him being rich. He constantly causes accidents and comes off like a whiny baby. 

i fucked that one up, thought you responded to my comment, but buckeye's. my bad there.