Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

13 hours ago, texas08 said:

Hi!

SECOND PLACE WHILE DRIVING LIKE SHIT!

everyone else must suck ass

he's in what is far and away the best car on the track and it isn't even close. if he had a slightly less hot start dude would have been behind Lewis this year. since Monaco he has 1 more podium than Hamilton in a car that is significantly better. the largest gap between teammates on the grid is him and Max and a number of times he has had the largest gap between teammates on race pace as well.

compare him to Max since Monaco lol

image.png.9fd03ad1ed7ac90fed08c5610b3ebd48.png

now Lewis h2h:

image.png.50d370ff2d903f9bf6eab80a902212cf.png

Re: Noble's article ... I posted that over on Autosport and mentioned that COTA had 34 garages. I asked for others with circuit-specific knowledge of garages to post what they knew. A couple did, and then a mod posted this:

Bahrain 36
Jeddah 26
Melbourne* 30 not counting V8 pits before the F1 pits.
Baku* 41
Miami* 38
Imola 32
Monaco* 12 building units (couldn’t count individual garages)
Barcelona 44
Montreal 36
Red Bull Ring 30
Silverstone 41
Hungaroring 40
Spa 42
Zandvoort 25
Monza 41
Singapore* 41
Suzuka 42
Losail 52
COTA 34
Mexico City 33
Interlagos 40
Las Vegas* 44
Yas Marina 40

*Temporary structure so can potentially be changed more easily if needed.

Most cases are 1 garage per car, so teams use 2 each. Some circuits have single garage buffers between teams. Even if I’m off by a few , there’s still plenty of room. Zandvoort is the biggest squeeze by a long way. They’d have to relocate the FIA weighing unit and such.

Not as crowded as they make it seem then, I guess. Shocking!!! It seems like Noble could have found this info easily enough and pointed it out, but I guess journalists don't actually question anything anymore. Sad.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I recall a couple of you guys having some issues. We had something similar with Hawaiian in July and got credits which we won’t be able to use. I guess shit happens sometimes. Hawaiian was pretty great about the whole thing, all things considered. 

Nice to have a direct option to Montreal. 

No idea how credible, but this is awfully interesting ... Ferrari looking for another vote in the balance of power?

Ferrari is not opposed to Andretti's entry into F1 and is thinking about the supply of Power Units (Italian) formu1a.uno/ferrari-non-si-oppone-allingresso-di-andretti-in-f1-e-pensa-alla-fornitura-delle-power-unit/

1 hour ago, wood said:

No idea how credible, but this is awfully interesting ... Ferrari looking for another vote in the balance of power?

Ferrari is not opposed to Andretti's entry into F1 and is thinking about the supply of Power Units (Italian) formu1a.uno/ferrari-non-si-oppone-allingresso-di-andretti-in-f1-e-pensa-alla-fornitura-delle-power-unit/

Yeah, I have to say I didn't understand Alpine's press release talking about how the Andretti agreement had expired.  All I could think about was how shit Alpine is with contracts.  Wouldn't they want a customer team?

• Hook 'Em 1

As a Perez fan, I'd be interested to hear your take on what you think is going on with him?

IF it’s not car related, you know what I mean….then it’s prolly shit we don’t know about (family dynamics or something) or the constant shit talking from someone that should be on your corner (that old fuck marko). Imagine one of your bosses (if you work for a corporation), publicly shit talking about your performance without offering an ounce of support or strategy to improve (just constant shit talking), I’m sure it eventually gets to you. Deep down inside Perez wants to pop that old fuck straight in the fucking mouth, Canelo style.

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I have to say I didn't understand Alpine's press release talking about how the Andretti agreement had expired.  All I could think about was how shit Alpine is with contracts.  Wouldn't they want a customer team?

Alpine’s engine has shown to be 30 hp or more down on the rest of the field. I would bet Andretti is the one who declined. Using Alpine engines would be a horrible mistake.  

• Like 1

Alpine’s engine has shown to be 30 hp or more down on the rest of the field. I would bet Andretti is the one who declined. Using Alpine engines would be a horrible mistake.  
Perhaps, just strange for Alpine to publicly comment that a contract has expired, IMO. Is Cadillac coming as an engine supplier eventually, or just a partner with Andretti?

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 10/14/2023 at 7:30 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Perhaps, just strange for Alpine to publicly comment that a contract has expired, IMO. Is Cadillac coming as an engine supplier eventually, or just a partner with Andretti?

Supposedly they were only going to use Renault for a short term and Cadillac would get an engine of their own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 10/14/2023 at 7:30 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Did they? Serious question. I don't know, but I thought it came out as the result of someone digging it up. I read somewhere that it had already expired back in March. That's not necessarily a bad thing for Andretti though.

Edited by wood

Hey if y'all social media followers see any fan events, I hope you'll share them here. Instead of dealing with the cost/hassle of the race weekend, I'm planning on hitting up the stuff around town. The boy and I are planning to visit the Williams setup on Congress today. Hopefully score some swag.

https://www.williamsf1.com/posts/d598bda0-1c01-4dca-b846-f70994f8341d/our-fan-zone-is-returning-to-austin

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hey if y'all social media followers see any fan events, I hope you'll share them here. Instead of dealing with the cost/hassle of the race weekend, I'm planning on hitting up the stuff around town. The boy and I are planning to visit the Williams setup on Congress today. Hopefully score some swag.

https://www.williamsf1.com/posts/d598bda0-1c01-4dca-b846-f70994f8341d/our-fan-zone-is-returning-to-austin

Longhorn themed Williams gear. Poor Logan ...

2310066-81_adultaustinracehoodie_logansa

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Bottas is doing some sort of happy hour, it's on his IG.

Just went to the Williams thing downtown. You're not missing anything. Couple of cars on display (cool) and the free driving simulators (cool), but then stuff for sale (was honestly hoping for some free swag), and wanting you sign up for some app or something to view their trophies/memorabilia (no thanks).

image.png.09c99e4179d5090366f25808069599b6.png

If I could figure out parking, I'd consider going Friday. I'm sure all the spots at COTA are sold, but no one is actually going to be using them on Friday.

Edit: Nevermind. 92 degrees with zero shade. Y'all have fun with that.

image.png.cc0bd9565b166ab7c6b97eb89ff30de5.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Since this is a Sprint weekend and qualy is on Friday, I'm expecting bigger crowds than there would be for a normal P1/P2 Friday.

However, there's obviously a lot of supply available and actual ticket prices are dropping, so hopefully that means a less crowded Friday and a less crowded weekend than the past 2 years.  Hopefully the DtS and post-COVID bubble has burst and we can get back to actually being able to walk around the track on race weekend.

3-Day with fees:

Friday with fees:

Sunday with fees:

Yeah it really seems like some people were speculating based on the success of the last couple of years, trying to flip tickets & are now trying to dump them. Loads of well below face value tickets on all the ticket sites, even on craigslist.  Some of it could be people trying to sell because the championship is over, but I don't really see that being a significant thing. I don't think most people go just for the championship, and you'd lose your ass cancelling a whole pre-planned trip this late.

If I could figure out parking, I'd consider going Friday. I'm sure all the spots at COTA are sold, but no one is actually going to be using them on Friday.

Edit: Nevermind. 92 degrees with zero shade. Y'all have fun with that.

Yeah I was gonna go on Friday, but now that's looking unlikely. Too hot, for one thing. I was at that WEC race a few years ago in August in the same conditions, and I don't wanna do that again. And yeah I waited too late for my usual off-site parking lots and now they're full. 

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Since this is a Sprint weekend and qualy is on Friday, I'm expecting bigger crowds than there would be for a normal P1/P2 Friday.

However, there's obviously a lot of supply available and actual ticket prices are dropping, so hopefully that means a less crowded Friday and a less crowded weekend than the past 2 years.  Hopefully the DtS and post-COVID bubble has burst and we can get back to actually being able to walk around the track on race weekend.

Yeah this is pretty much what I've been thinking. The bubble will burst at some point, and I guess it might be starting. But still, Abbott & Bobby said yesterday that they're still expecting a $1 Billion impact to the State from this one race alone lol.

OBTW I just saw a beautiful gray Ferrari 488 get pulled over by DPS at Mopac and Slaughter. Which one of y'all was that? Or maybe it was someone from the team ... my buddy just sent me a photo of the Ferrari team guys he saw at HEB (it was open).

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Dr Evil One Billion GIF - Dr Evil One Billion Mike Meyers - Discover &  Share GIFs

Yep. $1 Billion. How? That's some fancy Angelou accounting!

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

They'd have to pay the secretary an extra 37 cents to write out "Nine hundred ninety nine million, nine hundred ninety ninety nine thousand, nine hundred ninety nine, and ninety nine cents."

19 minutes ago, wood said:

OBTW I just saw a beautiful gray Ferrari 488 get pulled over by DPS at Mopac and Slaughter. Which one of y'all was that?

Oh yeah, that was me.  Alongside my wife... Morgan Fairchild...

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's amazing how it always come out to an even number with those guys.

Yeah Abbott also said they have brought $10 Bn in economic impact since 2012. He's also the one who said when he was AG that there was no way to really know if COTA's economic impact claims were true.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They'd have to pay the secretary an extra 37 cents to write out "Nine hundred ninety nine million, nine hundred ninety ninety nine thousand, nine hundred ninety nine, and ninety nine cents."

Oh yeah, that was me.  Alongside my wife... Morgan Fairchild...

Ha! You're old ... like me.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah Abbott also said they have brought $10 Bn in economic impact since 2012. He's also the one who said when he was AG that there was no way to really know if COTA's economic impact claims were true.

Ha! You're old ... like me.

An old fart for sure.  University of Texas Electrical Engineer, 1994.  utee94

But that just means, I grew up during the GOOD years, before kids' lives were dominated by video games and smart phones and social media.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

An old fart for sure.  University of Texas Electrical Engineer, 1994.  utee94

But that just means, I grew up during the GOOD years, before kids' lives were dominated by video games and smart phones and social media.

I wish I were your age. Took me 6 years, and I graduated in '89. And yeah, 100% agree. 

• Hook 'Em 1