It's time we talked about pickup trucks

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

I plow my neighbor's driveways when asked to.  The payment is 5 gallons of gas put into the tank when I'm done.  Ol' Blue gets thirsty.

Do you have to put any weight in back when plowing? Seems like the back wheels would be a little light with all that weight up front.  

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't know if you can get any more opposite of what I had in mind when I started this thread! What a beauty.

You weren't talking about work trucks when you started the thread.  You were talking about the overpriced behemoths of today that rarely get off pavement, and I agree with you.

I like older vehicles.  I think they look better and I can maintain them for the most part with a standard set of tools. 

33 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Do you have to put any weight in back when plowing? Seems like the back wheels would be a little light with all that weight up front.  

Yes you do. 

I have a buddy that works for the Alaska Railroad.  He gave me a 3 foot piece of 100 pound track that they were replacing.  That means it weighs 100 pounds per foot.  I've got it bolted to the bed of the truck directly above the back axle.

The plow blade weighs right at 800 pounds.  The frame and hydraulic set up weighs another 400 or so.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Local Jeep dealer is killing it. We’ve got no less than 10 of them running around the neighborhood over last 6 months.  Buddy’s wife got one. You can miss me on 100k for that. 

I've seen a number down here in my neck of the woods.   The new Tahoes/Yukons/Esclades still beat out the Grand Wagoneer though.   Same gal type drivers who think they own the damn road.    Honestly I think some of them are worse than the short dudes who drive jacked up F-350's.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:
On 2/5/2023 at 8:11 AM, Nueces River Rat said:
Can we talk about women who insist their husbands buy them Cadillac Escalades and now $100k Grand Wagoneers and drive them like they own the road?   

Grand Wagoneer might be the ugliest car sold in the US today.

It really is. I wasn't sure what they looked like so I image searched it. It looks like an escalade fucked a hearse. 

image.thumb.png.d818aa81003df84462a7844aa6059e66.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Yes you do. 

I have a buddy that works for the Alaska Railroad.  He gave me a 3 foot piece of 100 pound track that they were replacing.  That means it weighs 100 pounds per foot.  I've got it bolted to the bed of the truck directly above the back axle.

The plow blade weighs right at 800 pounds.  The frame and hydraulic set up weighs another 400 or so.  

Thanks for the answer.   I occasionally drive a tractor with a front end loader, and even with the big wheels on back, it gets a little dicey if you don’t balance out the weight on it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m still wrapping my head around a foot of railroad track weighing 100 pounds.

We had a couple of pieces of that in our garage when I was a kid that my dad put down as curb stops for the cars. He could run into that shit with his 78 Sedan Deville and it wouldn’t knock over. No idea how we got it in there but I never could budge it.

So this weekend I took the GF, my mom and her SO up to Sedona to hang out for a couple days and play golf. Three sets of golf clubs and 4 suitcases, 2 giant ones because women. Truck worked perfect for that. Not sure how we’d have done that in a regular car. Apparently the back seat it super comfy for road trips.

• Hook 'Em 1