Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

I'm not crazy about going all in on Scherzer for this season. I'd rather get a mid-line starter, but an upgrade in the rotation, for a smaller price and continue to build toward a bigger run in 2024, with still a punchers chance in 23. Rangers already have too much invested in broken old guys that won't be much help next year. You also have to consider Heim may possibly be lost for the year, which would be a major blow to this year's chances, regardless. 

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Consensus on Twitter is that Acuna is part of the deal; speculation from some involved Porter because he got pulled after 3 innings with a shutout, but he had already throw 52 pitches and they haven’t really been letting him go much more than that all year. Plus, would you pull a guy in Low A out or just let him finish?

saw a couple of tweets that the Mets are sending at least $15MM over; probably had to to get acuna, hopefully it wasn’t enough to also get Porter.

EDIT - apparently Acuna and Saghesse are out of the Frisch lineup tonight. 

Edited by Ignatius

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I'm not crazy about going all in on Scherzer for this season. I'd rather get a mid-line starter, but an upgrade in the rotation, for a smaller price and continue to build toward a bigger run in 2024, with still a punchers chance in 23. Rangers already have too much invested in broken old guys that won't be much help next year. You also have to consider Heim may possibly be lost for the year, which would be a major blow to this year's chances, regardless. 

Yeah well you’re a fucking idiot, so…

21 hours ago, DougO said:

Don't expect any favors from these crooked fucks. The league will be dedicated to getting Ohtani in the playoffs by any means. 

Idiocy example. 

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I like Porter better than Leiter.

Yeah….I like most pitching prospects with a pulse better than Jack. 

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

Wow, if it's Acuna and Walcott that is way to much.

No, it’s not. 

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Guessing max will be asked to not only waive the no trade clause but also exercise the option for 24 

Yes. If we are able to get him to committ through ‘24, this is a no brainer. Particularly without giving up Duran or Carter. 

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

What would be his incentive to exercise his option for 24? He hasn’t been great this year but he’ll definitely be able to get 2 or 3 years on the open market. 

Hasn’t been his best year, so 2-3 years at what price point?  Vs one year at 42m or whatever and then try for one more contract, especially if it’s a good year. 

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What would be his incentive to exercise his option for 24? He hasn’t been great this year but he’ll definitely be able to get 2 or 3 years on the open market. 

More money for a longer period of time with a team poised to be a contender for a while. He hasn’t been great but his team has been a major disappointment so I don’t put a great deal of stock into it. 

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Degrom won’t be back until late next season. 

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hasn’t been his best year, so 2-3 years at what price point?  Vs one year at 42m or whatever and then try for one more contract, especially if it’s a good year. 

deGrom could be back next July. With his age, it’s unlikely though. Max isn’t likely to get another big contract. I mean if he’s a workout warrior like Nolan or Roger, sure, but if I’m him, I’m trying to elongate my significant money making years from 40 to 42. 

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

He’s not staying with the Mets. Once he gets in a room with CY, the above report is horseshit. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Why?  How much of it is your money?

that’s maybe the last thing I care about in this transaction. 

well if the return is Acuna, as reported, then i dont want to be paying a $40M to a pitcher of his age. its not my money but every team has a threshold they will go to. i don't want 40M of this team's threshold with him

9 minutes ago, crum said:

nice hefty sum. nothing added to Acuna is nice, especially since hes at a logjam position. we shall see

No brainer. Profound statement on Porter over Leiter, Herbie. Ignore all you want.