2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Unpopular opinion post, so feel free to skip it ….

We have 93 games left to play this year, 57.4% of the season (and 3 series vs the Rangers). There’s still a lot baseball left and we are well in striking range of first. 

Dusty and the staff have done a great job with this roster (AAAA players). We are down 4 starters from last year, and posting some very good pitching numbers. Pitching can always improve, that whip needs to come down for sure. The Altuve injury (he’s still not 100%), bregman and Abreu were dead weight the first two months. The brantley and lmj set backs.

Diaz is coming along very nicely. I like the Jake / Chas / Julks rotation, based on match ups. Dubon stepping up huge. OF defense can still improve, it’s a weak spot. You hope that hitting gets better, bregman and Tucker need to pick it up. Abreu needs to keep trending up.

for as much ‘bad’ as we’ve had, we’ve had a lot of good to balance it out. Getting urquidy and brantley back will be a huge shot to the arm. At this point, I’m in different on a move. It’ll be a sellers market. 

heal up, stay close to first and make a run. this team needs to be a rolling ball of butcher knives in sept.

30 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I definitely expect this front office to make moves that help us win a WS and not sit on prospects that might not pan out so we can be competitive in 2026. 

I’ll be very curious to see who’s going to be available 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

#1 era 

#6 whip

that’s entire pitching staff. We’re not scoring runs to support some excellent pitching. Bullpen stats aren’t too far off those numbers. 1.27 whip is avg, like it’s been said need to on walks and hits. 

Yep. Collectively the staff has been excellent and much better than we had any right to expect with all the injuries. If the offense/manager would remove his head from his/it’s ass we would be a 100 win team again imo. 
Willingly choosing to give so many PA to 3 of the worst 15 offensive players in the league, when we have clearly better options sitting on the bench so that they can play (too much) isn’t something that a team can overcome unless they have 4 all star type guys having all star type seasons. This year we have 1 all star type having an all star season and he’s only going to play 120 games )he said- hopefully) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

J. Abreu: $19.5M, negative-1.0 WAR
Montero: $11.5M, negative-0.4 WAR
Brantley: $12M, 0.0 WAR

😭😭😭😭

Yep

loved it

hated it 

hated it. 

I was 2/3 in an off season the Astros were a hard core 0/3. The Montero and Brantley moves were horribly dumb for the exact a d predictable reasons we said they were dumb (Montero 1 flukey year- Bradley old and major injury and no due diligence to see if he’d actually be ready). 
to be fair to the Astros there were some people who didn’t like the 3rd year for Abreu or wanted him for 16 instead of 20 but nobody thought he’d be one of the worst players in baseball through the first 70 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

So putt doesn't want to win the WS i see

He didn’t say that. But you did. 

On 6/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, Scraps said:
On 6/14/2023 at 3:59 PM, UTHornFan014 said:
There are few players I hate more than that bitch Cody Bellinger

Yep...i would rather not win than have Bellinger win a WS with Houston. Fuck that.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Unpopular opinion post, so feel free to skip it ….

We have 93 games left to play this year, 57.4% of the season (and 3 series vs the Rangers). There’s still a lot baseball left and we are well in striking range of first. 

Dusty and the staff have done a great job with this roster (AAAA players). We are down 4 starters from last year, and posting some very good pitching numbers. Pitching can always improve, that whip needs to come down for sure. The Altuve injury (he’s still not 100%), bregman and Abreu were dead weight the first two months. The brantley and lmj set backs.

Diaz is coming along very nicely. I like the Jake / Chas / Julks rotation, based on match ups. Dubon stepping up huge. OF defense can still improve, it’s a weak spot. You hope that hitting gets better, bregman and Tucker need to pick it up. Abreu needs to keep trending up.

for as much ‘bad’ as we’ve had, we’ve had a lot of good to balance it out. Getting urquidy and brantley back will be a huge shot to the arm. At this point, I’m in different on a move. It’ll be a sellers market. 

heal up, stay close to first and make a run. this team needs to be a rolling ball of butcher knives in sept.

Hope you're right about a coming surge.

I question why any sane person would have expected much out of LMJ again. Also, as hard as I'm pulling for our known stud hitters to get back to past levels of glory, I'm just not feeling it that much.

Last year I said Altuve was the key, and except for the postseason, he was. We won despite his October, mainly due to insane starting pitching and a couple hot hitters. Pena, Tucker and Bregman all must turn it on pronto, regardless of what we get out of Abreu. And a certain reliever or too had best unwedge their heads. These past two games have been debacles.