2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Because signing nothing but choir boys works. Did you enjoy the Texans in the last several years?

Not signing dipshit malcontents does not mean signing only choir boys.  There is a world of difference between trying to find good church going players to play football vs not wanting woman beating nut grabbers on the team.  Hope that helps....

FYI everything in life doesn't have to be extremes like the dipshidiot American political system where both choices lick ass....

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Because signing nothing but choir boys works. Did you enjoy the Texans in the last several years?

It's irrelevant if he's a choir boy or a thug, Brooks is not a winner. It's one thing the be a physical, tough player. It's completely another to be a net negative to your team because you are a hot headed imbecile. Memphis couldn't get him off their roster fast enough.

At the end of the day, Brooks isn't bringing toughness or winning. He's a selfish moron with little to no self-control. As a result, he's going to take bad shots. He's going to get bad T's. He's going to be a distraction. He's going to be divisive in the locker room. And he's not going to take any accountability. It's unfathomable to me that the Rockets signed him to anything more than a vet minimum contract that they could unload as soon as he implodes.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's irrelevant if he's a choir boy or a thug, Brooks is not a winner. It's one thing the be a physical, tough player. It's completely another to be a net negative to your team because you are a hot headed imbecile. Memphis couldn't get him off their roster fast enough.

At the end of the day, Brooks isn't bringing toughness or winning. He's a selfish moron with little to no self-control. As a result, he's going to take bad shots. He's going to get bad T's. He's going to be a distraction. He's going to be divisive in the locker room. And he's not going to take any accountability. It's unfathomable to me that the Rockets signed him to anything more than a vet minimum contract that they could unload as soon as he implodes.

He won pretty big this summer for team Canada (3rd place at FIBA, DPOT). He also won plenty at Oregon (1 EE and 1 FF). It's not his fault that Memphis had the craziest mother fucker in all of the NBA leading that team last year.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m sure the Rockets had very pointed discussions with Brooks before signing him telling him to cut out his extracurricular BS and stupid shit like poking the LeBron bear again. I was not a fan of signing him or the dollar amount and length of his contract. I do think he brings a needed defensive toughness that the team needs. I’m confident that Ime can get the best out of him. Ime is the best thing to happen to the Rockets in a long ass time. He is not going to put up with Brooks acting a fool. The only concern is if he does go off the deep end will we be able to unload to him another team with his cap figure.

Edited by Macklemore

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He won pretty big this summer for team Canada (3rd place at FIBA, DPOT). He also won plenty at Oregon (1 EE and 1 FF). It's not his fault that Memphis had the craziest mother fucker in all of the NBA leading that team last year.

12 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I’m sure the Rockets had very pointed discussions with Brooks before signing him telling him to cut out his extracurricular BS and stupid shit like poking the LeBron bear again. I was not a fan of signing him or the dollar amount and length of his contract. I do think he brings a needed defensive toughness that the team needs. I’m confident that Ime can get the best out of him. Ime is the best thing to happen to the Rockets in a long ass time. He is not going to put up with Brooks acting a fool. The only concern is if he does go off the deep end will we be able to unload to him another team with his cap figure.

You guys are living in fantasy land. College? Team Canada? Pointed discussions? The dude couldn't make it through a meaningless preseason game before losing his shit. He couldn't behave himself in a contract year in Memphis, lit himself and his team on fire against the Lakers in the playoffs, and the Rockets just couldn't wait to guarantee him $85 million while bidding against absolutely nobody. Memphis wouldn't have taken him back for the minimum. None of that is on that idiot Ja Morant. Why? Just... why?

Also, you do realize that Ime has all of 1 year of head coaching experience, right? He may be the next Pat Riley, but I'm not so sure I would anoint him given the limited sample size and what he inherited in Boston. Granted, if they hired a golden retriever to coach the team it would look like an improvement over Silas, but you may just want to tap the brakes a little on him.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You guys are living in fantasy land. College? Team Canada? Pointed discussions? The dude couldn't make it through a meaningless preseason game before losing his shit. He couldn't behave himself in a contract year in Memphis, lit himself and his team on fire against the Lakers in the playoffs, and the Rockets just couldn't wait to guarantee him $85 million while bidding against absolutely nobody. Memphis wouldn't have taken him back for the minimum. None of that is on that idiot Ja Morant. Why? Just... why?

Also, you do realize that Ime has all of 1 year of head coaching experience, right? He may be the next Pat Riley, but I'm not so sure I would anoint him given the limited sample size and what he inherited in Boston. Granted, if they hired a golden retriever to coach the team it would look like an improvement over Silas, but you may just want to tap the brakes a little on him.

Excited Old Man GIF

• Haha 2

I love spurs fans that think because the spurs organization won 5 titles with pop that they are all part of the reason and always the smartest fans in the room. Stfu no one gives a flying fuck what you think about the rockets or their moves. We have who we have and we will cheer for whoever puts on the jersey. Go back to your circle jerk thread and have those fingers crossed wemby and those feet can make it more than 2-3 years without injury.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I love spurs fans that think because the spurs organization won 5 titles with pop that they are all part of the reason and always the smartest fans in the room. Stfu no one gives a flying fuck what you think about the rockets or their moves. We have who we have and we will cheer for whoever puts on the jersey. Go back to your circle jerk thread and have those fingers crossed wemby and those feet can make it more than 2-3 years without injury.

Gregg Popovich Thumbs Up | Gifrific

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Pop without Duncan

53252466658_91251c0e8a_b.jpg

• Haha 1

The Robinson-Earl kid is interesting. PF/C backup shooting .348 BTA in his two seasons. I imagine that we will either try to trade Oladipo or just waive him, as I guessing the Earl was the real prize here.

Still the Rockets are going to have many interesting decisions on the roster.

1. VanVleet

2. Ja. Green

3. Brooks

4. Smith

5. Sengun

6. Eason

7. Thompson

8. Whitmore

9. Londale

10. Green

11. Bullock

12. Tate

13. Marjanovic

14. Holiday

15. Earl

Not a lot of developmental minutes available for a roster this youn and talented.

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Good riddance. Hope he enjoys prison. Are they planning on keeping Oladipo? Where would he fit?

The only thing that makes sense with Oladipo is backup PG, but I can't see him getting the 26 MPG he got last year. Rockets need to make some 2 for 1 deals to clear up some roster space.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

That's actually a great trade for the Rockets. Getting cap relief, a trade exception and some trade chips for later is a lot better than I expected. Those 2nds weren't worth much anyway. That Dipo contract doesn't have to be waived immediately, keep him on the injured list and you have a 9.45m expiring deal to send out to help facilitate a 3 or 4way deal at the deadline and pick up someone else.  JRE doesn't look like an allstar or anything, but a very cheap role player that could also be a chip down the road.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I have this weird optimistic vibe that we may see a season like the Cavs two years ago.  The west is probably too tough for that but if I got good odds on >40 wins I might take that bet from a value perspective.  There are so many dudes on this team that could be playoff lineup players and at least 3 that have all star potential.

i probably ruined everything now.  

On 10/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I have this weird optimistic vibe that we may see a season like the Cavs two years ago.  The west is probably too tough for that but if I got good odds on >40 wins I might take that bet from a value perspective.  There are so many dudes on this team that could be playoff lineup players and at least 3 that have all star potential.

The mousetards expect 29-53
Vegas is at 32.5-49.5 I believe
I personally have set 37-45 as my target

I fully expect this team to still lose some games they shouldn't due to the ongoing learning curve/youth but I think the combination of talent, depth, and a coach that seems to actually know what the fuck he's doing out there we will overshoot the majority of the hoops world's expectations.  40 wins is a stretch but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Looking forward to Wednesday and will pay more attention to Rockets basketball than I have since Harden blew the team up after the final loss to Golden State in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Pimphand said:

The mousetards expect 29-53
Vegas is at 32.5-49.5 I believe
I personally have set 37-45 as my target

I fully expect this team to still lose some games they shouldn't due to the ongoing learning curve/youth but I think the combination of talent, depth, and a coach that seems to actually know what the fuck he's doing out there we will overshoot the majority of the hoops world's expectations.  40 wins is a stretch but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Looking forward to Wednesday and will pay more attention to Rockets basketball than I have since Harden blew the team up after the final loss to Golden State in the playoffs.

What’s the magic win total to make the play in?

On 10/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

40??

That would be an 18 game improvement..no chance.

I was thinking around 30...and I'm still leaning under.

Like someone else said, they'll be better and will lose a bunch, but will be fun to watch.