San Antonio Spurs 2023 Offseason - Voodoo Dolls and Ping Pong Balls

Mitch Cumsteen

6 hours ago, MrBig said:

Sidy has fantastic Spanish. I’d love to see these guys in a new H‑E‑B commercial.

I'm pretty sure it's going to happen. I imagine Tony will be wearing a chefs hat explaining fajitas in French to the new guys.

• Haha 1

Yeah, he seems destined to be a Spur for life. He doesn’t seem to be the type of kid that seeks the limelight or bright lights of LA. As long as the Spurs can surround him with the players ti remain competitive, he may be happy in SA. I guess Pop’s successor will play a role in that as well.

2 hours ago, allrightallrightallright said:

what courses are good value in SA?  I play in and around ATX (as far out as Vaaler and Lighthouse)

Pretty much all the public courses are good. They renovated Olmos not too long ago. Riverside is being re done now. Breckenridge is a fun play, old school type of course. The Quarry is badass. La Cantera is probably more pricey now.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I've been getting into those "Ring of Rowel" videos the last few days.  Goddamn I'm so glad I grew up in SA and goddamn do I miss it.  This one is fantastic.  I probably went to over 200 games in the Hemsifair Arena.  It was always a fun place, but my best memories there are from David Robinson's rookie year.  I might have missed 5 home games at most.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So I caught up with my friend for the first time since the lottery. He didn't tell me anything earth shattering or even newsworthy, but I'm passing it along anyway.

1. I asked if Wemby was as grounded and as genuine as he comes off in interviews and the answer was so far, yes. It's not bullshit apparently. He is all about basketball, getting better, working hard and being a good teammate. Also, he's done some shit in practice with his wingspan that has them shaking their heads in disbelief.

2. The level of fame he brings with him is something they've never had to deal with. They have people trying to sneak into the practice facility to get his autograph. One of his ig posts gets like 50 million views or something ridiculous like that. Last year the Spurs were one of, if not the lowest rated NBA team in social media engagement. Now their numbers are through the roof. They are going to need a separate guy to travel with the team and his sole purpose is to attend to Wemby's schedule and media. He's turning down major endorsement deals (e.g., soft drinks) if he doesn't think they're good for people or he's not down with the product. He's not dollar or fame chasing, but this  kid will probably never be able to go out in public for the rest of his life and have any sort of peace. Even on the off chance someone doesn't recognize him, people are going to be gawking at him because of his size. There's a decent chance that he  plays every game of his entire career in front of a sell out crowd. I wish I could remember the dollar amount he told me, but the direct impact on the franchise so far in season ticket revenue alone was staggering -- tens of millions of dollars.

3. Sounded like they didn't even give trading for Lillard a thought, although his camp did approach them. They will not to blow through their draft assets or cap space for any sort of a quick fix. Tamper your expectations accordingly, but we're probably looking at a 35-40 win season. Fans might get a little impatient, but make no mistake they are playing the long game. 

4. Believe it or not, it hasn't been easy for Wemby to find a house. They apparently don't build homes off the shelf for dudes 7'4". 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I'd be fine with a 15 win improvement over last year. But I've had this sneaking suspicion that we tanked better than everyone else last year and blew more than a couple handfuls of games by design. Especially with the amount of injuries we had. Keldon missed 20 games last year, Devin missed almost 50. Sochan missed 25. If these guys play 70 games next year, hypothetically, and play more than 50-60 together as a core..... I'm just sayin. Don't be surprised if we win 45-50. 

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'd be fine with a 15 win improvement over last year. But I've had this sneaking suspicion that we tanked better than everyone else last year and blew more than a couple handfuls of games by design. Especially with the amount of injuries we had. Keldon missed 20 games last year, Devin missed almost 50. Sochan missed 25. If these guys play 70 games next year, hypothetically, and play more than 50-60 together as a core..... I'm just sayin. Don't be surprised if we win 45-50. 

For sure they could have won more games last year and I do like most of their young guys, but they also just weren't very talented and got less talented when they traded Poeltl and Richardson at the deadline.

That said, there aren't going to be any gimmes in the conference next season. The only team in the west that will be tanking outright is Portland (if/when they trade Lillard). Everybody else is either a contender or doesn't own their own pick. An early season injury to a star or a disappointing first half of the season might change the trajectory for somebody. Houston would be the most likely tanking suspect but their pick goes to OKC (top 4 protected). Utah was surprisingly good and should be better. OKC should be better. Dallas looks better on paper notwithstanding Kyrie doing Kyrie things. They owe their pick to NY unless its top 10 again, but they have got to show Luka something if they want to keep him. Minnesota somehow actually owns its own pick but that team isn't built to tank. As much as it pains me to say it, other than Portland, the Spurs probably have the most to gain by sucking next year. I don't think they tank outright, but if shit goes sideways around March there could be a contagious amount of load management. 

• Hook 'Em 2