NC man shoots entire family of neighbors over a basketball bouncing into his yard

shadow_operative

43 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s literally been the case for criminals since any gun regulations existed.  We don’t follow or prosecute the laws on the books (depending on who you are) for that already.   You can shut down F2F transactions and make them punishable by death, and it won’t affect a single F2F sell between criminals.  

I'm not trying to get into an argument, but can you provide proof that the bolded is generally true? The only instance that comes to mind for me is the Sutherland Springs guy where the Air Force fucked up by not putting him on a list. How are laws not really being prosecuted or followed?

Tangental questions to the thread topic but relevant to the discussion over the last few days:

What exactly are the laws on the books in Texas about knowingly selling to someone other than to someone who has the intent to harm someone, is under 18, is a felon, is actively intoxicated, or is under a protective order? Those are the quick-glance disqualifiers that I'm aware of. 

Are there others? Please, also school me on the exact laws in Texas for gun ownership, because I recently inherited some from my recently deceased parents. I don't want to break any law that's on the books.

Background: not a felon, 51yo with no intent on harming a soul, sober more often than not, and have no protective orders against me. Am I allowed to own and/or go out and buy any non-fully automatic gun I so choose in Texas? Do I need to have a license, background check, or registration to purchase anything? And, if not buying, what about simply inheriting and ownership?

Again, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match even though I'm admittedly pissed about all these recent shootings by paranoid dickheads who are clearly unfit for gun ownership. Aside from that opinion, all the above are honest questions.

Am I breaking any laws by now owning my dad's small arsenal?

Edited by bolverk
cleaning up a question
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Again, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match even though I'm admittedly pissed about all these recent shootings by paranoid dickheads who are clearly unfit for gun ownership. Aside from that opinion, all the above are honest questions.

Boarding a plane but @Handcruser would be very knowledgeable on the specifics.  A 51yo that’s never been in trouble, not addicted to drugs, or dishonorably discharged can buy anything from a .22 to a huge .50, but not a rifle with a barrel under 16” or a suppressor to protect your hearing.  Individual states vary of course (more strict)   But I think that answers the gist of your question. Anything you purchase that’s not F2F you’ll fill out forms for the govt and receive a light background check. 

Eta: you can fill out the forms and pay for the FFl to do the transfer for what you inherited if it’s important to you.  I’ve only got a handful of inherited/gifted guns, everything else the govt is well aware of. 

The normal gun owners are also pissed about these trigger happy assholes. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and posit he did not purchase this arm from an FFL.  Domestic abuse with a 4# sledge seems like an instant disqualifier. 

Meh, we're not far from that disqualifier being ruled unconstitutional.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/politics/domestic-violence-guns-fifth-circuit/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Background: not a felon, 51yo with no intent on harming a soul, sober more often than not, and have no protective orders against me. Am I allowed to own and/or go out and buy any non-fully automatic gun I so choose in Texas? Do I need to have a license, background check, or registration to purchase anything? And, if not buying, what about simply inheriting and ownership?

. . . .

For individual sales in Texas, the answer is no and no.  And even if you were a felon or had protective orders, the person selling you the guns likely wouldn't prosecuted because (and I'm going off of memory here) that person would have to have known these hindrances to a legal sale at the time of the sale, and I'm pretty sure there's no investigatory requirement.  So don't wear your I'm a felon t-shirt in that case.  Or, to borrow a phrase, "Don't ask.  Don't tell." 

As for inheriting, since Texas doesn't do tracking of sales or otherwise, you don't need to prove ownership.  Just saying you inherited them seems to be plenty.  Possession,  9/10ths, etc. 

It's the damned wild west.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Boarding a plane but @Handcruser would be very knowledgeable on the specifics.  A 51yo that’s never been in trouble, not addicted to drugs, or dishonorably discharged can buy anything from a .22 to a huge .50, but not a rifle with a barrel under 16” or a suppressor to protect your hearing.  Individual states vary of course (more strict)   But I think that answers the gist of your question. Anything you purchase that’s not F2F you’ll fill out forms for the govt and receive a light background check. 

Eta: you can fill out the forms and pay for the FFl to do the transfer for what you inherited if it’s important to you.  I’ve only got a handful of inherited/gifted guns, everything else the govt is well aware of. 

The normal gun owners are also pissed about these trigger happy assholes. 

Appreciate the response. Since you're hopping a flight I understand you don't have time to answer all my questions. It just doesn't seem like there are a whole helluva lot of laws to follow and/or prosecute unless they're committed during the commission of another crime. So far as I understand it, I could right now walk out my front door and openly carry anything I now have in public without a license or registration and not be breaking a single law in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not trying to get into an argument, but can you provide proof that the bolded is generally true? The only instance that comes to mind for me is the Sutherland Springs guy where the Air Force fucked up by not putting him on a list. How are laws not really being prosecuted or followed?

Tangental questions to the thread topic but relevant to the discussion over the last few days:
What exactly are the laws on the books in Texas about knowingly selling to someone other than to someone who has the intent to harm someone, is under 18, is a felon, is actively intoxicated, or is under a protective order? Those are the quick-glance disqualifiers that I'm aware of. 
Are there others? Please, also school me on the exact laws in Texas for gun ownership, because I recently inherited some from my recently deceased parents. I don't want to break any law that's on the books.

I’ll try to address some of these:

1. I am sure I could research a number of cases where applicable laws were not enforced. I don’t have that kind of time. Hunter Biden lied on his form and isn’t being prosecuted. I bring that one up because it’s in the news.

2. The laws in you’re asking about are not state specific but federal. We can’t sell to anyone we believe under the influence (we declined one Friday), under 18, under court order, etc. those are questions on the 4473 which is federal. In regards to private sales (f2f) you have to follow 4473 rules but you don’t have to run the background check. So you don’t ask if they have been dishonorably discharged or under court order or whatever - but if you know those things to be true then you cannot complete that transaction. I am in favor of background checks for private sales.

3. Inheriting guns in texas - you don’t need to do anything. You are in legal possession of this guns and nothing needs to be done. However, if you have some inherited weapons that are class 3 or banned (Italian street sweeper) then you will go to prison if caught with them. If you alerted the atf - no big deal. If you have a concern on any of them I’m happy to look at them (pics).

We had this scenario a few months ago:
Guy brings in a gun to sell. It’s rare. Real rare. so we did some extra research to make sure we were right and confirmed it was banned years ago. So we talk to the guy and he inherited it from a family member and thought it might be illegal so just wanted to get rid of it. In fact a customer in the store looked at him and said “you need to go home right now”.

So we call atf- atf tells us to lock the gun in our vault and let the guy know he wouldn’t be getting the gun back. Atf comes in the next week with the file - mugshot is in there - and gets the gun.

He knowingly admitted he knew it was illegal and that is what got him in trouble.

You probably don’t have anything illegal but if you do you need to know.
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

So far as I understand it, I could right now walk out my front door and openly carry anything I now have in public without a license or registration and not be breaking a single law in Texas.

Correct. It’s a recent development and most agree it’s dumb af.  I’m around firearms a lot, and I still feel uneasy around folks I don’t know with them (I’ve also been shot by a “first time” hunter so that may also play into it).  Leave your guns at home works for me, doesn’t for others.  100% certain no one outside of texaggy posters are happy about the events of the last several days. 

The laws aren't designed to work. They aren't designed to be easily enforced. They aren't designed to prevent. By not so happy accident, that allows some to argue that because these laws don't work/aren't enforced (because they can't be), then that means no other laws would work better. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’ll try to address some of these:

1. I am sure I could research a number of cases where applicable laws were not enforced. I don’t have that kind of time. Hunter Biden lied on his form and isn’t being prosecuted. I bring that one up because it’s in the news.

2. The laws in you’re asking about are not state specific but federal. We can’t sell to anyone we believe under the influence (we declined one Friday), under 18, under court order, etc. those are questions on the 4473 which is federal. In regards to private sales (f2f) you have to follow 4473 rules but you don’t have to run the background check. So you don’t ask if they have been dishonorably discharged or under court order or whatever - but if you know those things to be true then you cannot complete that transaction. I am in favor of background checks for private sales.

3. Inheriting guns in texas - you don’t need to do anything. You are in legal possession of this guns and nothing needs to be done. However, if you have some inherited weapons that are class 3 or banned (Italian street sweeper) then you will go to prison if caught with them. If you alerted the atf - no big deal. If you have a concern on any of them I’m happy to look at them (pics).

We had this scenario a few months ago:
Guy brings in a gun to sell. It’s rare. Real rare. so we did some extra research to make sure we were right and confirmed it was banned years ago. So we talk to the guy and he inherited it from a family member and thought it might be illegal so just wanted to get rid of it. In fact a customer in the store looked at him and said “you need to go home right now”.

So we call atf- atf tells us to lock the gun in our vault and let the guy know he wouldn’t be getting the gun back. Atf comes in the next week with the file - mugshot is in there - and gets the gun.

He knowingly admitted he knew it was illegal and that is what got him in trouble.

You probably don’t have anything illegal but if you do you need to know.

First off, I'm not a gun guy so I don't know the types too well. It looks like there are a couple of (probably standard) 22 rifles and an antiquish-looking double-barreled shotgun that I think my mom inherited from her dad. Nothing major that I've found.

Just wanted clarification. Thanks.

ETA: My older sister took a pistol of unknown type back to her home in Colorado "for protection." So far as I know, she's never fired a gun in her life. I've shot one of the above-mentioned 22s on my grandparents' farm outside of Brownwood several times when younger.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

First off, I'm not a gun guy so I don't know the types too well. It looks like there are a couple of (probably standard) 22 rifles and an antiquish-looking double-barreled shotgun that I think my mom inherited from her dad. Nothing major that I've found.

ETA: My older sister took a pistol of unknown type back to her home in Colorado "for protection." So far as I know, she's never fired a gun in her life. I've shot one of the above-mentioned 22s on my grandparents' farm outside of Brownwood several times when younger.

Careful attempting to shoot that shotgun (you probably arent).  A lot of older side-by-sides have "damascus" barrels that were made by hammering a coil of steel wire into a continuous barrel.  They can be prone to exploding.  You can usually see the spiral pattern in the barrels.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm in a similar situation (inherited about 20 guns from my dad when he died in 1990, and don't hunt or shoot anymore).  But I grew up around them, know what I'm doing as far as safety goes, and have a strange appreciation for them as mechanical things, even as someone who has no real interest in shooting them anymore.  I'm appalled by all of these shootings and strongly support any legislation that might serve to reduce such tragic occurrences (I say reduce because eliminate seems impossible; but since when has the likelihood of a law's success at curbing the subject activity been an obstacle.  War on drugs?  Anyone?  Anyone?)

From what you described, there's probably nothing to worry about.  Mine all are perfectly legal and locked in a closet.  The ammo was old and has been properly disposed of.  I've sold a few to some non-felon, sober-looking surly posters, and would sell a few more, but in my mind, I reserve the right to refuse a sale if someone's normal-seeming online personality doesn't match up with the IRL dirtbag who shows up.  Thankfully, that hasn't been the case, everyone has been great to deal with, and I haven't seen any news of anyone being shot with dad's old rifles or shotguns.  But the items in my collection were largely practical, not tactical.  So I don't worry much about it.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Careful attempting to shoot that shotgun (you probably arent).  A lot of older side-by-sides have "damascus" barrels that were made by hammering a coil of steel wire into a continuous barrel.  They can be prone to exploding.  You can usually see the spiral pattern in the barrels.

I definitely do not plan on ever firing the thing. I'm actually back in my hometown right now cleaning out the house, so I took a couple of pictures for you. The damn stock has bailing wire on it to hold it all together. 

20230420_161819.jpg

20230420_161119.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I definitely do not plan on ever firing the thing. I'm actually back in my hometown right now cleaning out the house, so I took a couple of pictures for you. The damn stock has bailing wire on it to hold it all together. 

20230420_161819.jpg

20230420_161119.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ai7iaahl323vzbvb7h

Pretty cool.  Not trying to fire it is a good call.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Similar situation. Dad is still here, but has a hell of a collection. From WW1 to Vietnam. No Autos (that I know of) but he did have the permits at sometime. Would not be surprised to find out he had an MP-5. If so will be happy to hand it over to the Feds. Complex weapon and not fun to clean. 

Collection goes to me, and will probably donate the collectibles to a SF museum. My concern is going to be transporting them from Texas to other states. I have no intention of keeping them all, maybe the Garand and 1943 M-1A2 which still shoot fine. Perhaps his .45 from Vietnam. They will all go into the safe and locked. 

BTW- Fuck this asshole in NC who shot his neighbors and their kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

20230420_161819.jpg

20230420_161119.jpg

Looks like it's guaranteed to hurt somebody when you pull the trigger.

They just caught the fucker down Florida way.  On the crazy spectrum, he'd have blended in like Marcus from IJ&TLC down there before too long (said the Texan). 

/yes, I know Marcus didn't blend in at all.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

20230420_161819.thumb.jpg.553f58ea9497fea70cdef97c02d4030e.jpg
20230420_161119.thumb.jpg.c89a1b09dc9bb70e25a5e8a0e4f21c8e.jpg

I would not shoot that.

I would take it to Irwin restorations and have it restored to like new and then put on mantle.
Similar situation. Dad is still here, but has a hell of a collection. From WW1 to Vietnam. No Autos (that I know of) but he did have the permits at sometime. Would not be surprised to find out he had an MP-5. If so will be happy to hand it over to the Feds. Complex weapon and not fun to clean. 
Collection goes to me, and will probably donate the collectibles to a SF museum. My concern is going to be transporting them from Texas to other states. I have no intention of keeping them all, maybe the Garand and 1943 M-1A2 which still shoot fine. Perhaps his .45 from Vietnam. They will all go into the safe and locked. 
BTW- Fuck this asshole in NC who shot his neighbors and their kids. 

If you find an mp5 please do not turn it over to atf. Call me.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I would not shoot that.

I would take it to Irwin restorations and have it restored to like new and then put on mantle.
If you find an mp5 please do not turn it over to atf. Call me.

Ha. Dad was part of the US design team sent to work with H&K. Love my P7. Shit is stamped West Germany. And yes, safest pistol ever made, and still locked in the safe.