NC man shoots entire family of neighbors over a basketball bouncing into his yard

shadow_operative

Is a mini sledgehammer anything like assault with a concrete dildo?  Asking for police squad.  

Maybe there’s some common ground here.  I don’t want people like this so easily out on bond.  How about a condition is if you are out, you have to surrender your weapons and can’t buy any new ones until after your trial.  Seems like a compromise of not letting  proven bad guys get guns?  No harm to responsible owners and helps expose flaws in our bail system while protecting young girls.  

Serious question: Is it that the insane violence in response to random yet banal and everyday behaviors has hockey-sticked OR is it the reporting of said insane violence? I feel inundated.

I feel like Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM when he says, "I don’t know. I feel overmatched. I always figured when I got older, God would sort of come into...life in some way. He didn’t. I don’t blame him. If I was him I’d have the same opinion about [us] that he does."

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

over a fucking basketball. Kids are going to play. we should encourage it. 

To be fair, I don't think this one was about the basketball. Or the shooter being afraid or annoyed. Dude's just a straight up sociopath who was going to shoot someone who happened to be near him sooner than later.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, I don't think this one was about the basketball. Or the shooter being afraid or annoyed. Dude's just a straight up sociopath who was going to shoot someone who happened to be near him sooner than later.

The bottom line is that they are all miserable, hair-triggered assholes, perhaps with individual psychopathies, who felt empowered by their weapons at hand to mete out the ultimate punishment on other human beings over the slightest of grievances. All four of them were itching to do it.

The questions are why were they willing and able?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

When I was a kid this miserable old geezer lived near my friend's house and he was notorious for confiscating basketballs, footballs, etc... that landed in his yard. This was in the 1980s and despite that old asshole being a miserable prick, he never threatened us with violence. He would just throw the ball near his porch and say it's mine now.

I miss the days when a kid could just sprint by and old man in his yard to retrieve their football while yelling "suck my nuts old man!"

The 1980s. I remember them well... when the hate machine was only beginning to warm up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, F250 said:

When I was a kid this miserable old geezer lived near my friend's house and he was notorious for confiscating basketballs, footballs, etc... that landed in his yard. This was in the 1980s and despite that old asshole being a miserable prick, he never threatened us with violence. He would just throw the ball near his porch and say it's mine now.

I miss the days when a kid could just sprint by and old man in his yard to retrieve their football while yelling "suck my nuts old man!"

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The 1980s. I remember them well... when the hate machine was only beginning to warm up.

Bluey Fairytale GIF - Bluey Fairytale Bandit - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

How about a condition is if you are out, you have to surrender your weapons and can’t buy any new ones until after your trial.

I’m going to go out on a limb and posit he did not purchase this arm from an FFL.  Domestic abuse with a 4# sledge seems like an instant disqualifier. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and posit he did not purchase this arm from an FFL.  Domestic abuse with a 4# sledge seems like an instant disqualifier. 

I'd bet you're probably correct on him not recently purchasing it, but why was he still allowed to have it?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Am I reading that right?  Out on bond from "allegedly assaulting his girlfriend with a mini-sledge hammer".  

I'm going to guess that Gaston County NC does not have either a "progressive" DA or any sort of cash bail reform ongoing.

These things happen because a) bail is not designed to protect the public from criminals and b) mistakes happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Serious question: Is it that the insane violence in response to random yet banal and everyday behaviors has hockey-sticked OR is it the reporting of said insane violence? I feel inundated.

I feel like Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM when he says, "I don’t know. I feel overmatched. I always figured when I got older, God would sort of come into...life in some way. He didn’t. I don’t blame him. If I was him I’d have the same opinion about [us] that he does."

Maybe it's because certain, erm, groups are deliberately fostering division, resentment and hatred, and a violent, weaponized response to perceived but nonexistent threats.

I dunno, just spitballing here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'd bet you're probably correct on him not recently purchasing it, but why was he still allowed to have it?

How is anyone supposed to know he had it? He may have never told anyone, including the abused spouse. Really, if anyone wants to have a gun, bad enough, they are going to be able to get one. Confiscating guns from people for violent acts (domestic abuse, road rage, assault) is a tall order. They turn in one, they may have another hid in the storage shed under a lawnmower. How do you convince someone that is mentally deranged that they are a menace to themselves, their family, and the general public, and need to turn over ALL of their guns? These people are already non-law abiding citizens.

CHIEF 

Edited by CHIEF

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm going to guess that Gaston County NC does not have either a "progressive" DA or any sort of cash bail reform ongoing.

These things happen because a) bail is not designed to protect the public from criminals and b) mistakes happen.

Yep. I’m more interested in how broke you have to be to get a $1 bond like the guy in Harris county, vs how this gentleman was able to afford a 250k bond (25k). Doesn’t really matter, these folks are all alive, he’ll do 3-5 and we’ll be talking about his next attempted murder by the time Arch graduates.  

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No idea how that works. I’m not a lawyer, or criminal, and do my best to not associate with either of them. 

I'll spell out what he's hinting at for you. He wasn't "allowed" to have the gun. The cops probably didn't know he had the gun, because our gun laws make it pretty simple for the guy to buy a gun from a 3rd party he found on craigslist without any proof or ID or registration or anything. Because guns are super easy to get regardless. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll spell out what he's hinting at for you. He wasn't "allowed" to have the gun. The cops probably didn't know he had the gun, because our gun laws make it pretty simple for the guy to buy a gun from a 3rd party he found on craigslist without any proof or ID or registration or anything. Because guns are super easy to get regardless. 

That’s literally been the case for criminals since any gun regulations existed.  We don’t follow or prosecute the laws on the books (depending on who you are) for that already.   You can shut down F2F transactions and make them punishable by death, and it won’t affect a single F2F sell between criminals.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s literally been the case for criminals since any gun regulations existed.  We don’t follow or prosecute the laws on the books (depending on who you are) for that already.   You can shut down F2F transactions and make them punishable by death, and it won’t affect a single F2F sell between criminals.  

"Between Criminals." How normal people that now inadvertently or indifferently sell to criminals? Can guys continue to get guns, sure, maybe. Does it have to be this easy and this cheap because of the proliferation of them for a criminal to find one in a few hours of search with zero checks involved? No it absolutely does not. Or god forbid, if they were expensive, it might be prohibitive for a criminal to acquire one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

"Between Criminals." How normal people that now inadvertently or indifferently sell to criminals? Can guys continue to get guns, sure, maybe. Does it have to be this easy and this cheap because of the proliferation of them for a criminal to find one in a few hours of search with zero checks involved? No it absolutely does not. Or god forbid, if they were expensive, it might be prohibitive for a criminal to acquire one. 

Agreed. Make FFL transfers mandatory, more $$$ in our resident “arms dealer’s” pocket is perfectly ok with me.    This dude made 25k cash bail, he’s not worried about a $450 Glock, or a $2500 one for that matter.