eat more Lionfish

Orca of Peace

so i was watching Shark Tank, probably a rerun, and a business wanted capital to enhance their Lionfish catching enterprise off the FL coast. They mentioned it was an invasive species and was killing all native fish from FL to the Caribbean. Eat more Lionfish, supposed to be tasty too so that's a bonus. 

Divers spear them one by one, can't catch by netting as the are near the reefs. Nice productive way to spend a few hours underwater. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

A few months ago, I was a Whole Foods, and they had those goddamned things just sitting out in a barrel over ice.  What the fuck?  Those goddamned spines are venomous, and they just had them sitting out there where any unsuspecting shopper could grab them.

That's a lotta words to try to explain why you ended up in partial paralysis and shat yourself in the seafood section of Whole Foods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

A few months ago, I was a Whole Foods, and they had those goddamned things just sitting out in a barrel over ice.  What the fuck?  Those goddamned spines are venomous, and they just had them sitting out there where any unsuspecting shopper could grab them.

This.  I didn't realize they were edible.  Assumed they were poisonous.

apparently the venom is not just on the dorsal (top) fin but on the pectoral and the pelvic spikes, although the last 2 categories have mostly soft harmless fins. Still, the pectoral and pelvic fins have a couple of poison  spikes. 

go tell Whole Foods to chop off the spines before displaying for customer. Seriously, it could hurt a child or elderly and who knows what happens after that. 

The venom found in the needle-sharp dorsal, pelvic and anal fins of a lionfish is NOT deadly to an otherwise healthy human being, though envenomation WILL cause an immense amount of localized pain, swelling and, in some instances, blistering and infection if not treated properly.

Location-of-Venomous-Spines-on-a-Lionfis

Edited by Orca of Peace

First dive I took with my daughter six years ago I had never heard of this issue. We go down to the reef and see this really cool fish and are checking it out...then from nowhere we see the divemaster shoot a small spear into it. Freaked me out...was a lion fish and heard story when we got back to boat.

I've had several volitans in an aquarium in the past and can attest to the fact that getting stuck hurts like a mother. Ain't fun. And I'd go spear fishing just to exact my revenge on a couple hundred more of those motherfuckers.

Fun fact: some of the fish in the OP's video were actually scorpion fish, not lionfish

15 hours ago, next2naus said:

I would pay good money to do that, just go for a dive and harvest those invasive fuckers

When we were down in San Pedro, Belize, there was a lion fish contest going on. Whoever killed the most, won.  Sounded like it was a regular event that was put on.

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When we were down in San Pedro, Belize, there was a lion fish contest going on. Whoever killed the most, won.  Sounded like it was a regular event that was put on.

I've never even seen Lionfish on a menu down there but Id love to go spear a bunch and eat those suckers.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

They are all over the southern Yucatan and Belize. They used to be bad around Cozumel, but the numbers have dropped significantly. I dove there last month and the divers/guides were bitching about how hard they are to find now.

I just spent 2 weeks in Xcalak and hunted the shit out of them. They make great ceviche.

lion_fish2.jpg

lion_fish_speared_by_giacomo.jpg

lion_fish_speared_by_giacomo2.jpg

lion_fish_speared_by_giacomo3.jpg

nick_angus_lion_fish.jpg

Nick_James_large_lion_fish.jpg

lion_fish.jpg

lion_fish_container.jpg

• Like 2