2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Might as well just take the last coach off the Patterson/Perrin list and see what happens.

I’m not very well versed in college baseball coaches. Who would be a good choice? 

And is it wrong I wouldn’t mind Skip back as long as he keeps tulo and Rodriguez?

Just to get a little different discussion out there. I’ll attempt to turn it into a little more college and less Texas sucks.

FSU is #1 in RPI. 4-0 in quadrant 1. No games in Q2. 8-0 in Q3. 7-0 in Q4.

Baylor is 0-8 in Q1. 4-4 in Q2. 0-1 in Q3. 4-0 in Q4.

OU is #4 in RPI with a 14-7 record. Only 1 Q4 game. UCF is #11 with a 2-5 conference record. Only 2 Q4 games. Then you have TCU with their 2-5 conference record. TCU is undefeated in non-conference but is 9-0 in Q4 games.

Quick count had 5 SEC with 9 or more Q4 games. The Big 12 had Tech and WVU with 9 or more.

Texas is #54. Only 2 Q4 games. OU is the only team with 1 Q4 game in the top 54. There are only 3 others with 2 Q4 games. Only 5 others with less than 5 Q4 games.

The Big 12 is 3rd in RPI and currently closer to 2nd (ACC) than 4th (PAC). The Big 12 isn’t weak but some do not play the Q4 teams that other conferences have loaded up on.

Posted (edited)

Most SEC teams load up on Q4 opponents in the non-con because they know almost all their conference games will be Q1 (with maybe 1 or 2 being Q2). It’s smart scheduling. Everyone knows to schedule soft in that conference to give yourself a good record and head start, be in a respectable RPI position to start conference play then beat up on each other for 10 weeks.

Edited by Hookem2147

14 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’m not very well versed in college baseball coaches. Who would be a good choice? 

And is it wrong I wouldn’t mind Skip back as long as he keeps tulo and Rodriguez?

Start with Tim Corbin @ VandyBoys....he was taking the job before Pierce was hired but then changed his mind and Perrin let him go. Don't let him refuse this time. 

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

Does Still Austin still have thebourbon? at the stadium, where u can buy a longhorn Yeti, filled with a peach tea boutbon?

Looking at your typing, you might need to pass on any more bourbon. (Though if they produce at the plate and in the field like last night, you'll need it)

Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

• Haha 1

That scheduling makes sense. There’s too many games for anyone to track in their head. Then you look up and see FSU is undefeated and think wow. Nevermind their schedule to date is poor. We could have easily scheduled a half dozen more wins.

Georgia, Kentucky haven’t played much but the perception is positive.

It’d be interesting to see a midweek games only RPI. Chances are you won’t bludgeon A&M or Sam Houston or Texas State. Pitching depth can be tested mid-week in those type games but ICW and Houston Christian it does not matter because your scoring double digits and maybe high double digits.

17 hours ago, Fletch said:

Skip fucking sucks lol.

3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Looking at your typing, you might need to pass on any more bourbon. (Though if they produce at the plate and in the field like last night, you'll need it)

Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

Hey, I'm sotally tober....

Loving this shit!!

20240323_170242.thumb.jpg.28be6fe277011906be82a1bd20a421e4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Eh, national championship appearance in 2022 has gotta count for something. 

He's missed the tourney twice and 2022 is the only time he’s gotten past the regional. Y’all are complaining about making Omaha half the time but we are gonna bring in a guy who only makes the tourney half the time?

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He's missed the tourney twice and 2022 is the only time he’s gotten past the regional. Y’all are complaining about making Omaha half the time but we are gonna bring in a guy who only makes the tourney half the time?

Ok fair. Maybe with NIL and the right assistants he can pull it off but I’d rather O’Sullivan or Corbin or one of those types 

Just now, Fletch said:

Ok fair. Maybe with NIL and the right assistants he can pull it off but I’d rather O’Sullivan or Corbin or one of those types 

Good luck getting either of those guys. And Corbin would need a new recruiting strategy if moving to a public school.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Good luck getting either of those guys. And Corbin would need a new recruiting strategy if moving to a public school.

I'm with you. I'd like the next head coach to be someone who has had to realistically deal with scholarship limits.

Pierce ain't dead yet, though. We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Skip fucking sucks lol.

He essentially ran the team Augie’s last few years and we saw the results.

While I’ll never doubt his ability as a pitching mind, I also think he is pretty old school with his approach and that may not be best with the current day. He’s also not exactly young with a long runway ahead of him.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Corbin is 62 also.  DBU guy always seemed like a possible.

PIerce is probably gonna get a couple of seasons in the SEC unless he really craters this year and next year.  there isn't really an Augie situation anywhere that I see outside the SEC. maybe O'Connor at Virginia.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'm with you. I'd like the next head coach to be someone who has had to realistically deal with scholarship limits.

Pierce ain't dead yet, though. We'll see.

It would be nice if we got NIL to the point where we were essentially funding 40 full rides. I know that has been talked about before as the goal. That would require well north of $1 million per year though and the cost of living in Austin going up each second doesn’t help.

Jay Johnson is an outstanding coach but it sure does help any coach when you are working with a 7 figure NIL budget in a sport like baseball. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Corbin, Skip Johnson, O’Sullivan. GTFO with that shit. One is old and has absurd advantages that can’t be replicated. One is a lazy choice due to nostalgia. One isn’t leaving his current station. 

Go get Tom Walter or Eric Bakich with a moneywhip and call it a day. Bakich is still young at 46. That dude would win at Texas in ways that the program should be stacking wins and titles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Just to get a little different discussion out there. I’ll attempt to turn it into a little more college and less Texas sucks.

FSU is #1 in RPI. 4-0 in quadrant 1. No games in Q2. 8-0 in Q3. 7-0 in Q4.

Baylor is 0-8 in Q1. 4-4 in Q2. 0-1 in Q3. 4-0 in Q4.

OU is #4 in RPI with a 14-7 record. Only 1 Q4 game. UCF is #11 with a 2-5 conference record. Only 2 Q4 games. Then you have TCU with their 2-5 conference record. TCU is undefeated in non-conference but is 9-0 in Q4 games.

Quick count had 5 SEC with 9 or more Q4 games. The Big 12 had Tech and WVU with 9 or more.

Texas is #54. Only 2 Q4 games. OU is the only team with 1 Q4 game in the top 54. There are only 3 others with 2 Q4 games. Only 5 others with less than 5 Q4 games.

The Big 12 is 3rd in RPI and currently closer to 2nd (ACC) than 4th (PAC). The Big 12 isn’t weak but some do not play the Q4 teams that other conferences have loaded up on.

Someone smarter than me needs to explain how RPI and SOS aren’t incestuous nonsense. The Big 12 basketball metrics slant this year really highlighted this. 

Back to the point, do SEC baseball teams have fewer Q4 games bc they’ve played fewer terrible teams? Or do they have fewer Q4 games because they’ve started to play other SEC teams which raises their SOS. And if their SOS is higher, the Q4 teams they’ve played start to look better on paper and move up to Q3. 

The opposite for TCU which has bad conference losses. Round and round in a circle the math goes until the SEC fills the top of the RPI

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Corbin, Skip Johnson, O’Sullivan. GTFO with that shit. One is old and has absurd advantages that can’t be replicated. One is a lazy choice due to nostalgia. One isn’t leaving his current station. 

Go get Tom Walter or Eric Bakich with a moneywhip and call it a day. Bakich is still young at 46. That dude would win at Texas in ways that the program should be stacking wins and titles. 

So what have Tom Walter and Erik Bakich done to pull the trigger on canning Pierce

Just now, chase25 said:

So what have Tom Walter and Erik Bakich done to pull the trigger on canning Pierce

You’re asking the wrong question. If you could have either one of those guys and shitcan Pierce, would you? If your answer is “no”, cool, cherish those 3 CWS appearances into your twilight years. 

If the criteria is that someone has to have already won a national title or otherwise Texas is better off with the HS coach running things now, there’s not a conversation that can be had between us. 

Walter and Bakich are not the same at all.
Walter has been at WF for 14 years and just made his 1st CWS. What’s the evidence that he can get it done here? No one is saying we have to get an Augie but we shouldn’t be getting someone who’s accomplished very little over a long period. 
Bakich is more accomplished and has done it at a tough spot to perform in baseball. His results at Clemson so far show me he could do the job here.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’re asking the wrong question. If you could have either one of those guys and shitcan Pierce, would you? If your answer is “no”, cool, cherish those 3 CWS appearances into your twilight years. 

If the criteria is that someone has to have already won a national title or otherwise Texas is better off with the HS coach running things now, there’s not a conversation that can be had between us. 

No, the reason I never take these conversations seriously is because the names floated around either aren’t realistic or are guys with worse resumes than Pierce

Bakich has 1 CWS appearance in 14 full seasons with 0 conference titles.

Walter has 1 CWS appearance in 27 full seasons with 4 conference titles (3 at George Washington).

The only thing they have on Pierce is youth and Walter has a cool pitching lab.

What have Bakich and Walter done that makes you believe they are going scorched earth on college baseball with the same resources Pierce has had?

Edited by chase25

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

No, the reason I never take these conversations seriously is because the names floated around either aren’t realistic or are guys with worse resumes than Pierce

Walter has 1 CWS appearance in 27 full seasons with 4 conference titles (3 at George Washington).

What have Bakich and Walter done makes you believe they are going scorched earth on college baseball with the same resources Pierce has had?

If Pierce has resources, someone should probably go let him know that 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

What have Bakich and Walter done that makes you believe they are going scorched earth on college baseball with the same resources Pierce has had?

Walter has 2 losing seasons in the last 5 years. He has a career win % of 557. It’s all just wishcasting bullshit. His results have spoken for themselves.

At the end of the day it’s all wishcasting and whoever you believe is the answer is your prerogative.

But if the plan is to go money whip youth at least put Vitello #1 on your list. Spent several seasons under Schlossnagle and Van Horn coaching in the South and turned Tennessee around in the snap of a finger while competing in the toughest conference in college baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, chase25 said:

At the end of the day it’s all wishcasting and whoever you believe is the answer is your prerogative.

But if the plan is to go money whip youth at least put Vitello #1 on your list. Spent several seasons under Schlossnagle and Van Horn coaching in the South and turned Tennessee around in the snap of a finger while competing in the toughest conference in college baseball.

Pass on that. Undisciplined coach who fields really talented, undisciplined teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Denzel Washington GIF

Pretty much any realistic candidate is going to have warts. There isn’t an Augie Garrido sitting out there that is coming to Texas and we getting Jay Johnson or Tim Corbin or Joe Torre or any other pipedream.

Schools care more about baseball now than 20 years ago and are investing accordingly. LSU, Vandy and Florida have been breathing the same air as Texas for a while.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Be content with never winning all you want.

With all due respect, based on your criteria on what is considered winning, all Walter and Bakich have ever done is never win

Edited by chase25

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pretty much any realistic candidate is going to have warts. There isn’t an Augie Garrido sitting out there that is coming to Texas and we getting Jay Johnson or Tim Corbin or Joe Torre or any other pipedream.

Schools care more about baseball now than 20 years ago and are investing accordingly. LSU, Vandy and Florida have been breathing the same air as Texas for a while.

We’re Texas. Money whip Bochy is obviously the way to go 

9 minutes ago, Levi said:

That’s what you took from my post? Yikes

He was dropped on his head multiple times and started drinking at age 4. Don’t listen to him. 

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We're 7 years in with pierce....his time has run its course. Move on and try the next guy....

Goodness, this place cracks me up.  We were a fucked up pop fly on a fucked up field with fucked up lighting away from Omaha last year.

You people should really consider what you wish for, carefully.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Walter and Bakich are not the same at all.
Walter has been at WF for 14 years and just made his 1st CWS. What’s the evidence that he can get it done here? No one is saying we have to get an Augie but we shouldn’t be getting someone who’s accomplished very little over a long period. 
Bakich is more accomplished and has done it at a tough spot to perform in baseball. His results at Clemson so far show me he could do the job here.

Walter just played for the title and might do the same again this season. He’s built a program that appears to be getting better daily. 

4 hours ago, chase25 said:

So you can’t actually answer the basic question. Or, you just don’t want to admit how in the tank you are with Pierce. 

The idea that Bakich wouldn’t be an immediate upgrade is laughable, especially when trying to cite his results without any context. The guy recently almost won a national title at Michigan for Christ’s sake. 

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Walter has 2 losing seasons in the last 5 years. He has a career win % of 557. It’s all just wishcasting bullshit. His results have spoken for themselves.

This is a weak take when considering his immediate recent results. 

Look, people were discussing fantastical options and a dreary, lazy option. I offered two alternatives to those who would actually take the job and be an upgrade over Pierce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Walter just played for the title and might do the same again this season. He’s built a program that appears to be getting better daily. 

So you can’t actually answer the basic question. Or, you just don’t want to admit how in the tank you are with Pierce. 

The idea that Bakich wouldn’t be an immediate upgrade is laughable, especially when trying to cite his results without any context. The guy recently almost won a national title at Michigan for Christ’s sake. 

This is a weak take when considering his immediate recent results. 

Look, people were discussing fantastical options and a dreary, lazy option. I offered two alternatives to those who would actually take the job and be an upgrade over Pierce. 

Unfortunately Pierce went to 3 CWS, 2 of which we got the shit kicked out of us, so therefore he's not replaceable and were stuck with him. /surly

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, I usually don’t argue this stuff anymore because we are dealing in hypotheticals. 

Walter didn’t play for a title, that is factually incorrect. Not to mention it took him 14 years at Wake to get to Omaha. Y’all would have had his head on a stake.

Whether or not you believe Bakich is better is opinion, and if you feel that way that’s your prerogative like I said above. The fact that he spent 10 years in a conference that doesn’t give a shit about baseball and couldn’t win it, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, but I do think he is a good manager. I also think he is where he wants to be and there is something to be said about being in a situation where you are comfortable. He has spent his entire career on the east coast. 

But to answer your question yes, my answer is no. For starters, even if you wanted Bakich you would have to be willing to offer a number that one, Texas wouldn’t pay and two, that he hasn’t accomplished enough to command.

If you are going to money whip youth, you get Vitello, if not, you are just starting over to start over and give yourself some false sense of being closer to a national title because you have something fresh.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Look, I usually don’t argue this stuff anymore because we are dealing in hypotheticals. 

Walter didn’t play for a title, that is factually incorrect. Not to mention it took him 14 years at Wake to get to Omaha. Y’all would have had his head on a stake.

Whether or not you believe Bakich is better is opinion, and if you feel that way that’s your prerogative like I said above. The fact that he spent 10 years in a conference that doesn’t give a shit about baseball and couldn’t win it, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, but I do think he is a good manager. I also think he is where he wants to be and there is something to be said about being in a situation where you are comfortable. He has spent his entire career on the east coast. 

But to answer your question yes, my answer is no. For starters, even if you wanted Bakich you would have to be willing to offer a number that one, Texas wouldn’t pay and two, that he hasn’t accomplished enough to command.

If you are going to money whip youth, you get Vitello, if not, you are just starting over to start over and give yourself some false sense of being closer to a national title because you have something fresh.

1) There is no reason to believe that Texas wouldn’t pay what it takes to get Bakich. Clemson isn’t awash in cash. 

2) Michigan isn’t on the east coast. What in the fuck are you talking about?

3) I take it you know jack shit about Wake Forest historically as a program. You’ve referenced what Walter has done there as a straight line comparison to Texas, which is a laughable argument that has to be derived out of ignorance. 

4) Vitello is a terrible choice. That’s actually a guy that looks like an eventual flameout as his teams continue to fail to get the title.