Laundry Detergent

Both gf and I are allergic to sulfates, so once I finish the detergent we have I am looking to switch to something else. Pretty sure our detergent is the last item in the house that has sulfates in it, so that'll be nice. Anywho, I am reading a lot of detergent pods and sheets and tablets and how liquid is a waste. Can anyone recommend a good product that is worth the money?

37 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

What the fuck. 

Dude, we aren't comparing tampons and maxipads, we are talking about shit that gets the clothes clean...clothes that we wear every day.  I do at least half the laundry in my home.  If that makes me a gay or something, well, I guess I'm gay. 

• Haha 2

I’m experimenting a bit but one thing to try - more water less detergent. Detergent is super concentrated, you need less than you think, some tips I have found (that sound reasonable but could be kookery) is that the trick is to have enough water. Some people even spoof the weight sensor by pouring water on the clothes once they are loaded in.

You may also try an enzymatic detergent. I’m curious about Persil, but I’m really just starting to mess with our detergent.

We use a liquid "free and clear" from HEB. Gain, maybe? I usually use about half a cap as I just don't see needing that much soap.

But good god, I don't know how any once can use a detergent with a scent. Having my clothes smell like detergent all day would drive me nuts.

Also, what is a sulfate? 

I can go to the local hippie grocery store and buy all kinds of shit in bulk.  From rice and grains to pretzels, peanuts, you name it.

I wish they would do that with laundry soap.  Have a giant barrel of tide or whatever, with a pump, and you bring in your own bottle and fill the thing for x dollars per ounce.  

It would reduce plastic consumption for sure, and perhaps lower prices?

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I can go to the local hippie grocery store and buy all kinds of shit in bulk.  From rice and grains to pretzels, peanuts, you name it.

I wish they would do that with laundry soap.  Have a giant barrel of tide or whatever, with a pump, and you bring in your own bottle and fill the thing for x dollars per ounce.  

#tideconechallenge

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

They still sell tide powder?  

The only powder I see these days is the shit in the plastic bag at the mexican markets.   

Yessir. The big heavy box of it. It's the OG (e.g. Two scoops and a loosey).

This article is from 10 years ago but still interesting: https://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

Shoppers have surprisingly strong feelings about laundry detergent. In a 2009 survey, Tide ranked in the top three brand names that consumers at all income levels were least likely to give up regardless of the recession, alongside Kraft and Coca-Cola. That loyalty has enabled its manufacturer, Procter & Gamble, to position the product in a way that defies economic trends. At upwards of $20 per 150-ounce bottle, Tide costs about 50 percent more than the average liquid detergent yet outsells Gain, the closest competitor by market share (and another P&G product), by more than two to one. According to research firm SymphonyIRI Group, Tide is now a $1.7 billion business representing more than 30 percent of the liquid-detergent market.

Before the advent of liquid detergent, the average American by one estimate owned fewer than ten outfits, wearing items multiple times (to keep them from getting threadbare too fast) before scrubbing them by hand using bars of soap or ground-up flakes. To come up with a less laborious way to do the laundry, executives at Procter & Gamble began tinkering with compounds called surfactants that penetrate dirt and unbond it from a garment while keeping a spot on a shirt elbow from resettling on the leg of a pant. When the company released Tide in 1946, it was greeted as revolutionary. “It took something that had been an age-old drudgery job and transformed it into something that was way easier and got better results,” says Davis Dyer, co-author of Rising Tide, which charts the origins of the brand. “It was cool, kind of like the iPod of the day.” Procter & Gamble, naturally, patented its formula, forcing competitors to develop their own surfactants. It took years for other companies to come up with effective alternatives.

The primary ingredient in liquid laundry stuff is water. There are brands out there that are bags of detergent you put in your old jug.

We use the All free n clear pods I buy in a tub at Sam’s or Costco. No mess. Easy. Will never use liquid or powder shit again.

Figured some of you high rollers would be be using ozone ionization. Or having your maids use it. It’s the best thing with sensitive skin folks.