"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

27 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

My experience has been similar.  

Frankly, I am pretty indifferent to the model.  My understanding is the majority of US servers prefer the current US system and feel like they come out ahead.  Is that perception or reality, who fucking knows.  

I tip well and do appreciate a good server, it can definitely augment the experience.    One of my favorite breweries has great food and beer, but really slow and inattentive servers.  We would go more if they did their jobs better.  

I think they generally do.  Most people tip ok and let’s be honest the euro way means all of your income is reported 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. I’m in Mexico right now and they kick US wait staff ass. I don’t need to be checked on every 8 minutes, but they’re attentive enough and friendly and don’t expect more than 10%. And they’re very grateful when you tip higher than that. Haven’t had bad service at all yet 

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're in a tourist area and the waitstaff know you're from the US. 

The vast majority of Mexican waitstaff are terrible. They receive literally zero training and service 2-3x more tables simultaneously than the average US waiter. Most Mexican nationals tip well under 10%, sometimes just the leaving the coins or nothing at all.

Unless you work in a nice tourist area at a restaurant catering to Americans/Canadians, there is little incentive to perform above the bare minimum (and it's also pretty hard to get fired here).

Don't get me started on all the shitty asians/euros who pull "we don't have to tip at home, why tip on a Mexican vacation?" bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I find the difference in U.S. and Euro service boils down more to cultural expectations and differences (within Europe itself as well as cross-pond) than it does with waiters hopping for a tip. 

Overall Euro service will tend more formal and less obtrusive than the U.S. version. Europeans don’t like being interrupted at meals or feeling rushed out the door, so you usually do have to flag down or wait for service. European waiters expect you to put down the menu and appear ready to order before they come by.  They aren’t churning tables like Americans and are less likely to offer “help” deciding or prod you along.  Refilling ice water and tea isn’t a thing in Europe so that means fewer table visits. 

European places also often have fewer staff (cause it costs more and they don’t churn tables). Even in nations in the EU where some grat is customary, you get a more formal brand of service as described above. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're in a tourist area and the waitstaff know you're from the US. 

The vast majority of Mexican waitstaff are terrible. They receive literally zero training and service 2-3x more tables simultaneously than the average US waiter. Most Mexican nationals tip well under 10%, sometimes just the leaving the coins or nothing at all.

Unless you work in a nice tourist area at a restaurant catering to Americans/Canadians, there is little incentive to perform above the bare minimum (and it's also pretty hard to get fired here).

Don't get me started on all the shitty asians/euros who pull "we don't have to tip at home, why tip on a Mexican vacation?" bullshit.

Flip side is a lot of foreigners if all shades tend to be crappy tippers.  When in Rome not when in Roanoke I guess

I think the problem is this, service workers and restaurants bellyache about living off tips, but the reality is (whether they know it or not) if they went to a minimum wage (or heck, even double the the minimum wage) system sans tips, they'd make far, far less money. There wouldn't be career service workers except in high end dining. The ability to walk out of work with a wad of cash and the way the pay is structured so you can be "tax clever", means that good service workers make a lot more money than you and I probably think.

I was reading an interesting article about minimum wage and does it even matter anymore? Many places struggle to find people above minimum wage. You pay someone $15 an hour and do away with the tipping dynamic, you will get bad service, the lowest of grunt employees, high turnover.

The system we have now works for fine dining, but for the 85% of other times you eat out from fast casual to casual dining, the tipping system is complete grift when you are like me and feel compelled and obligated to tip minimum 20% no matter the service or experience.

All but forgotten in the tightest labor market the U.S. has seen for decades is the issue of what the federal minimum wage should be. Employers have been bidding up pay to attract hourly workers, in some cases to more than double the current minimum of $7.25. In fact, a New York Times analysis of government data finds that fewer than one in every 1,000 hourly workers earned only the minimum wage during the first seven months of 2023. The question, writes the Times, is what happens when the market loosens and companies are no longer scrambling for staff?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/23/business/economy/minimum-wage.html

Edited by animaltobacco11

14 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I think the problem is this, service workers and restaurants bellyache about living off tips, but the reality is (whether they know it or not) if they went to a minimum wage (or heck, even double the the minimum wage) system sans tips, they'd make far, far less money. There wouldn't be career service workers except in high end dining. The ability to walk out of work with a wad of cash and the way the pay is structured so you can be "tax clever", means that good service workers make a lot more money than you and I probably think.

I was reading an interesting article about minimum wage and does it even matter anymore? Many places struggle to find people above minimum wage. You pay someone $15 an hour and do away with the tipping dynamic, you will get bad service, the lowest of grunt employees, high turnover.

The system we have now works for fine dining, but for the 85% of other times you eat out from fast casual to casual dining, the tipping system is complete grift when you are like me and feel compelled and obligated to tip minimum 20% no matter the service or experience.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/23/business/economy/minimum-wage.html

1. I wouldn’t wait tables for 15 an hour

2.  They bitch about non tippers.  Not living off of tips

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I find the difference in U.S. and Euro service boils down more to cultural expectations and differences (within Europe itself as well as cross-pond) than it does with waiters hopping for a tip. 

Overall Euro service will tend more formal and less obtrusive than the U.S. version. Europeans don’t like being interrupted at meals or feeling rushed out the door, so you usually do have to flag down or wait for service. European waiters expect you to put down the menu and appear ready to order before they come by.  They aren’t churning tables like Americans and are less likely to offer “help” deciding or prod you along.  Refilling ice water and tea isn’t a thing in Europe so that means fewer table visits. 

European places also often have fewer staff (cause it costs more and they don’t churn tables). Even in nations in the EU where some grat is customary, you get a more formal brand of service as described above. 

souffle.gif

waiter.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

1. I wouldn’t wait tables for 15 an hour

2.  They bitch about non tippers.  Not living off of tips

1) Neither would I, but I imagine there are some folks who would think it a profitable venture.

2) I guess it goes back to that one guys point from the last page. No "voluntary" system is going to have complete and perfect compliance, and expecting it to do so is naive or irrational. It's all in the game, and it averages out.

The guy who paid $100 for dining and didn't tip, that probably happens a couple of times a night at any decently popular restaurant. The guy who tips 30%+ probably does as well. If I'm a waiter, I'm baking into my calculations and income forecasts some % of stiffs on a daily basis. To think I'll bat 1000.00 with something I have no control over, and then be upset by it, seems really self-defeating.

We all work somewhere and do something that is not always, 100% of the time going down the happy path. To think about griping every time I have to do some work and not have it be immediate gratifying, when the aggregate outcome in the end is a positive one +/- 10% of my expectations, or to be constantly losing the forest for the trees feels like a miserable way to walk through a job and/or existence.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

1) Neither would I, but I imagine there are some folks who would think it a profitable venture.

2) I guess it goes back to that one guys point from the last page. No "voluntary" system is going to have complete and perfect compliance, and expecting it to do so is naive or irrational. It's all in the game, and it averages out.

The guy who paid $100 for dining and didn't tip, that probably happens a couple of times a night at any decently popular restaurant. The guy who tips 30%+ probably does as well. If I'm a waiter, I'm baking into my calculations and income forecasts some % of stiffs on a daily basis. To think I'll bat 1000.00 with something I have no control over, and then be upset by it, seems really self-defeating.

We all work somewhere and do something that is not always, 100% of the time going down the happy path. To think about griping every time I have to do some work and not have it be immediate gratifying, when the aggregate outcome in the end is a positive one +/- 10% of my expectations, or to be constantly losing the forest for the trees feels like a miserable way to walk through a job and/or existence.

Nobody is looking to bat 1.000.  My point is the 100.00 guy is an asshat and I’ll stand by that. If you’re too broke or poor eat at home.  

like if I work for Nordstrom and 4 out of 100 customers berate me in public, I can say “well part of the job.”  Doesn’t mean it’s ok.  

or a guy going the wrong way in traffic. Still an asshat.  

if someone doesn’t tip consistently, then he’s up shit creek his next few visits.  

I have had customers come back after forgetting or shorting me my tip.  I also have had buddies who are down on their luck and can barely afford the meal. I either pay for his meal or we have a little chat about life.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nobody is looking to bat 1.000.  My point is the 100.00 guy is an asshat and I’ll stand by that. If you’re too broke or poor eat at home.  

like if I work for Nordstrom and 4 out of 100 customers berate me in public, I can say “well part of the job.”  Doesn’t mean it’s ok.  

or a guy going the wrong way in traffic. Still an asshat.  

if someone doesn’t tip consistently, then he’s up shit creek his next few visits.  

I have had customers come back after forgetting or shorting me my tip.  I also have had buddies who are down on their luck and can barely afford the meal. I either pay for his meal or we have a little chat about life.  

Got it. I thought we had universal agreement that the guy was in the wrong and flouting social mores. Even the other guy from the last page said that. For me, it's the response to these people that surprises me, I guess. 

But I think we all agree that guy sucks and that you shouldn't go out to eat unless you can afford the listed prices and the subsequent fair tip. Now, to actually enforce those social mores to get higher compliance, you actually have to make it a law because there will always be selfish and miserly people looking to cheat systems.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

In my 6 or 7 trips to Europe and eating out twice a day, I noticed that generally the service was not up to what I usually experience in the US.  It wasn't horrible, just average.  There are always exceptions.  But I never experienced the outstanding service that I usually get at our fine dining restaurants in the US.  Still, on the whole, I'd rather see us go to the Euro model.  

I think one of the things with service in Europe for Americans is that we are expecting an an entirely different type and level of service.  Europeans like to just sit and talk and hang out for hours at the restaurant without having the waiters bug them...Americans expect the waiter to be at their beck and call whenever they want them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Seattle does not allow the 2.10 bullshit.  Everyone makes minimum wage which is about 15 bucks.  There is no drop off in service.  People still tip 20 percent.  

If you're making $15/hr, I'm not tipping 20%.  I tip well here because servers make $2.31/hr and the tips are what they're really working for.  At $15/hr, you're getting paid a normal wage (like the euro model).  I may add a supplement if you've done great, but for normal service they've already been paid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

If you're making $15/hr, I'm not tipping 20%.  I tip well here because servers make $2.31/hr and the tips are what they're really working for.  At $15/hr, you're getting paid a normal wage (like the euro model).  I may add a supplement if you've done great, but for normal service they've already been paid.

You're living in a cardboard box if you make $15/hr in Seattle.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Why do you care what someone is making?  Jesus.  Just tip what you think they deserve based on service. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

If you're making $15/hr, I'm not tipping 20%.  I tip well here because servers make $2.31/hr and the tips are what they're really working for.  At $15/hr, you're getting paid a normal wage (like the euro model). 

That's $30K a year, dude.  It's not high rolling.  It's fine for kids slinging sub sandwiches between vape hits, but it's damn near criminal to expect adults with adult obligations to live on that.

Regardless, why does their pay affect your assessment of their work?  If they did a good job, give them a good tip.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Seattle does not allow the 2.10 bullshit.  Everyone makes minimum wage which is about 15 bucks.  There is no drop off in service.  People still tip 20 percent.  

Same with California 

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This thread makes me want to quit eating out.  I have enough stress in my life.

Just tip 20%

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Also I'm sure nobody here has ever or will ever do this, or know anyone that has, but don't dine and dash.  More often than not, the waiter pays out of his/her own pocket.  I know, shit happens, but still sucks.  Yes, that's what they signed up for, but still not ok. 

There are adults out there who D&D? Of course I'm excluding you know who. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Also I'm sure nobody here has ever or will ever do this, or know anyone that has, but don't dine and dash.  More often than not, the waiter pays out of his/her own pocket.  I know, shit happens, but still sucks.  Yes, that's what they signed up for, but still not ok. 

My favorite dine & dash story is when I had broken my foot and was in a walking boot.  I went to lunch and service WAS shitty, as in took forever to fill my glass.  Never brought me my check. Bill was like $14( 25 years ago) and I put a $20 under the edge of the plate.  Never saw the waitress again, so I head my ass out to the car.  I am about 10' from the car and some big Mongo looking motherfucker yells at me, "Hey you leaving without paying your tab??'

Me, hobbling along in my walking boot, "Yeah, I made a run for it!"

"Your service sucks, I saw the waitress like 3 times in 45 minutes. Now y'all want to take care of the customer.  I left a $20 on the table, now fuck off."

He says nothing and turns around to walk back in.  Yeah, I'm walking a ticket with a broken foot.   No.  Y'all just fucking suck.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Why do you care what someone is making?  Jesus.  Just tip what you think they deserve based on service. 

Why just in the US then?

People get paid a normal wage in Europe/Asia/etc.  And you're not supposed to tip there.

But, in the US, we are?  Why? 

I understand tipping in places like TX where the pay is DESIGNED around the tip (the whole $2.31/hr thing).  But, why in other places where the pay is NOT designed around the tip?  That was the whole point of raising the pay of those servers...to give them a living wage and NOT be beholden to living on tips.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Why just in the US then?

People get paid a normal wage in Europe/Asia/etc.  And you're not supposed to tip there.

I understand tipping in places like TX where the pay is DESIGNED around the tip (the whole $2.31/hr thing).  But, why in other places where the pay is NOT designed around the tip?  That was the whole point of raising the pay of those servers...to give them a living wage and NOT be beholden to living on tips.

100% agree.  But there are Americans that go to Europe and for whatever reason still tip to US standards.  Some are used to it, some don’t know any better, and some tip to the US standard because they just think it’s the right thing to do—even in Europe, if they really liked the service.

37 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Why just in the US then?

Yeah, the whole argument of ever increasing standard tips is that they aren’t making a real wage.  So it climbs to where now 20 percent isn’t considered a good tip, it’s just the expectation. 

So if the argument is “tip what you think they deserve” when they’re making a full wage, a reminder that that cuts both ways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

100% agree.  But there are Americans that go to Europe and for whatever reason still tip to US standards.  Some are used to it, some don’t know any better, and some tip to the US standard because they just think it’s the right thing to do—even in Europe, if they really liked the service.

This little pub (yes it was a pub) that I frequented when I was in Paris had a bucket over the back of the bar.  If anyone tipped, they would toss it in there, making a nice clanking, then ring a bell.  It was a big enough event to get a tip that it warranted that treatment...

22 hours ago, closetohumping said:

And you know this how? I worked at a dozen different restaurants before/after UT and not one had a policy holding a waiter liable for check skipping.

39 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

And you know this how? I worked at a dozen different restaurants before/after UT and not one had a policy holding a waiter liable for check skipping.

Anecdotal data here...

Living in a small town (Weatherford) I knew lots of servers/bartenders there...most of them said that was the policy at their establishment.  That's all I have.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Sure you did. And as mentioned above, it's illegal.

Yes.  This is the hill I want to die on.  I’m making up the fact that I’ve worked at ten+ restaurants.  It’s also illegal to overserve bar patrons.  That also happens on the reg.  

but yea I’m trying to impress surlyites with my restaurant knowledge.  Maybe I should pretend to be a doctor or lawyer or engineer instead?

also back in the 90s waiters weren’t exactly diligent in learning the law.  Also most of them were their own banks.  You don’t think a few would be open to say “hey tables 9, 14 and 22 walked the tab. Can you comp those?”  Yea

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  This is the hill I want to die on.  I’m making up the fact that I’ve worked at ten+ restaurants.  It’s also illegal to overserve bar patrons.  That also happens on the reg.  

but yea I’m trying to impress surlyites with my restaurant knowledge.  Maybe I should pretend to be a doctor or lawyer or engineer instead?

also back in the 90s waiters weren’t exactly diligent in learning the law.  Also most of them were their own banks.  You don’t think a few would be open to say “hey tables 9, 14 and 22 walked the tab. Can you comp those?”  Yea

That's the reason.  Just like pizza delivery drivers having a bunch of extra coupons for people who ordered and didn't use a coupon.  Quick way to make 5 bucks.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I waited tables in the 90s too, chief.

Please list these 10+ restaurants you worked at that were all knowingly violating federal law so they can be avoided.

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

There are some places that do but by law it's illegal to do that.  A lot of owners threaten that because they don't want the wait staff to have their friends come eat for free and claim dine and dash.

20 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Sure you did. And as mentioned above, it's illegal.

This is incorrect in Texas.

In states like California, there are labor codes that ensure employees aren’t held responsible, but Texas doesn’t have the same employee protection. In fact, there are no laws stopping service industry employers from holding their employees responsible for dine-and-dash tabs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Sorry, that's bullshit. They even admit in the article that it's a "grey area".

I won't post a shit ton of links, but here's a Houston law firm that will happily sue your employer for illegally forcing you to pay for dine and dash tabs.

https://www.wiley-wheeler.com/waiters-rights.html

Some restaurants will force waiters to pay for damaged items, walked tabs, or other business expenses. This is strictly illegal.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

I won't post a shit ton of links, but here's a Houston law firm that will happily sue your employer for illegally forcing you to pay for dine and dash tabs.

This lawyer says differently...

Can Restaurants Hold Servers Financially Responsible for Losses Caused by Dining and Dashing?

The short answer is, “Yes, restaurants can hold servers financially responsible for losses caused by dining and dashing.” Like many other states, Texas is an at-will employment state, which means employers do not need any reason to fire a worker, and an employee can quit for any reason or no reason at all.

If a server’s employer wants them to pay for losses caused by dining and dashing, but the server refuses to pay for it, the employer may lawfully fire the employee for their refusal. In addition, many employees in the service industry are required to sign employment agreements before beginning to work.

If the agreement states that the employee is liable for losses caused by customers not paying their bills, the employee can be held financially liable for walk-out tabs if they signed the agreement.

I guess it's a grey area...

That's what lawyers are for - arguing both sides of the law simultaneously. ;)

Edited by Ag with kids

I can’t wait for all the additional service charges to keep getting stacked on and those on here that will start staying home. May actually be able to get in somewhere without waiting after that.

If you frequent places, tip well. It makes a difference. We’re eating in one of the 3-4 sit down places we eat regularly right now and one of the ladies that usually waits on us (not tonight) stopped to say hello and bring extra drinks because she saw we were running low. The tip/fee/etc is the cost of eating out and having a decent experience. We also don’t drink alcohol or eat appetizers, so I tip well to cover for that as well.

The $100 guy above is definitely the asshole and anyone that thinks the same way is also the asshole. Just stay home if it’s that big an issue or go through the McDonalds drive thru.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, royiv said:

You're acting like all restaurant owners are sticklers for the law. 

It’s also illegal to pay servers less than 7.25 an hour but have I seen waiters leave after making 15.00 on a three hour shift?  Sure.  Do they file a complaint with the labour board to make them whole?  No.  

I’ve seen or heard of maybe 5 or 6 fine and dashes?  For the most part, the manager comped most or all of it. Or the other waiters pitched in to help cover it. 

20 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I waited tables in the 90s too, chief.

Please list these 10+ restaurants you worked at that were all knowingly violating federal law so they can be avoided.

Yes, great idea.  Would you like my social as well?  And it didn't even happen at every restaurant I worked at.  

20 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I never even denied it was illegal, I don't even think it's ethical.  But it does prevent theft and ensures that the server keeps a closer eye on their section.  In most full service restaurants, waiters are their own bank, ie there is no cashier.  So, they're responsible for the money.  If someone leaves without paying, you don't just say ''whoops, table 9 didn't pay.  Can you just void or comp it?"  

Like any job, there are good and bad people in the food service industry.  Every day, somewhere, a bartender or waiter is hooking their friends up. Technically, giving away free drinks or food is theft?  Is the manager or owner going to prosecute the server/bartender?

How much does a lawyer charge for you to sue your employer for a 110.00 tab?  Or is it probono?  I didn't click on the link so pardon me if it's in there. 

18 hours ago, Brew said:

I can’t wait for all the additional service charges to keep getting stacked on and those on here that will start staying home. May actually be able to get in somewhere without waiting after that.

If you frequent places, tip well. It makes a difference. We’re eating in one of the 3-4 sit down places we eat regularly right now and one of the ladies that usually waits on us (not tonight) stopped to say hello and bring extra drinks because she saw we were running low. The tip/fee/etc is the cost of eating out and having a decent experience. We also don’t drink alcohol or eat appetizers, so I tip well to cover for that as well.

The $100 guy above is definitely the asshole and anyone that thinks the same way is also the asshole. Just stay home if it’s that big an issue or go through the McDonalds drive thru.

I think some places on the coasts were charging Covid fees and for health coverage?  

Also, agree, if you're a regular at a place and you tip well, you're well taken care of, not just by your server, but everyone else as well.  Same if you're a regular at a bar.  Tip and you'll get faster service every time.  Sometimes, an extra beer here or there or you can stay just a bit after closing time.  

Also most people that work in full service restaurants tend to be below middle class in income.  So, an extra few bucks means something. 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Deej said:

So, you should tip more the less you spend?

We typically eat in the bar or at the bar since it’s just the two of us. I tip more to cover for the lack of drinks running up the bill. I also throw in an extra hundred or so at Christmas at the main places we eat. It’s all a trade off and worth the price.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Also most people that work in full service restaurants tend to be below middle class in income.  So, an extra few bucks means something. 

I helped out one of the bartenders at one of the places we go with a tax issue she had. This place is constantly busy and she made about $40k a year working a lot. 25%-30% or more on a tip means more to them than it does to me.

38 minutes ago, Brew said:

I helped out one of the bartenders at one of the places we go with a tax issue she had. This place is constantly busy and she made about $40k a year working a lot. 25%-30% or more on a tip means more to them than it does to me.

During the Early Coronazoic Period, when everything was getting locked down, the Italian restaurant on the island was having to shutter its doors.  We were there the last night having dinner and watching a buddy play music.  They had an auction of bags of toilet paper (remember how it was impossible to find) as part of a fundraiser to help the staff that was being laid off.  We knew most of them and wanted to help.  So I won one of the bags...8 rolls IIRC for $335.  But, it helped out our friends.  So, cool.

Still not tipping if people are paid $15/hr.