"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

Leave your server cash if at all possible and also if possible just give it directly to them. I have had issues before with bussers counting all the cash tips thinking that I am going to give them an exact amount of it. If you are not helping and I am bussing my own table I am going to claim less cash than normal because of the lack of help.

Just trust me when I say it is best to hand that server the cash tip and not let any of there support staff see it. It will just cause headaches and arguments. I have been very frank with the support staff before at places I have worked and told them to figure it out or get a new job. I also will always be the first to thank them for doing their job really well and many times recommend them to the GM to become a server or bartender when I see they are capable of it and have the personality for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

Why would you ever go back? Fuck them.

If a place does not inform you that you will automatically pay 20 percent I would never go back AND I would also demand that gratuity be removed. If you know going in that a certain size group is 20 percent and you are okay with it then cool. If you aren’t even told that is just straight up stealing from your guests.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is an interesting 5 min video by a guy who claims he's done the most research on tipping of anyone (Cornell University). He talks through a large experiment he ran where he would give fake menus to folks, one with lower prices and a customary 15-18% tip and one where tipping is not allowed (Euro model?) and prices that are affixed 15-18% higher.

The idea is that everyone SAYS they would pay more of a fixed price to not have to tip, but in reality people like the smaller prices and the obligation to tip based on service. Both groups were then asked which was more expensive (they are the same) and overwhelmingly folks said the 15-18% baked in menu was a more expensive dine out.

And people tip more when they know people are paid less.

Interesting video: https://www.wsj.com/video/series/wsj-explains/why-the-us-cant-quit-tipping/12E92AA7-426E-4D89-BC22-AEA5A5F3556F?

On 10/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, BeardIP said:

This is an interesting 5 min video by a guy who claims he's done the most research on tipping of anyone (Cornell University). He talks through a large experiment he ran where he would give fake menus to folks, one with lower prices and a customary 15-18% tip and one where tipping is not allowed (Euro model?) and prices that are affixed 15-18% higher.

The idea is that everyone SAYS they would pay more of a fixed price to not have to tip, but in reality people like the smaller prices and the obligation to tip based on service. Both groups were then asked which was more expensive (they are the same) and overwhelmingly folks said the 15-18% baked in menu was a more expensive dine out.

Interesting video: https://www.wsj.com/video/series/wsj-explains/why-the-us-cant-quit-tipping/12E92AA7-426E-4D89-BC22-AEA5A5F3556F?

I did my own experiment 

I’ve tried both pay models. I prefer a fixed price and no tipping. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

On 10/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, BeardIP said:

identical to airline pricing. everyone bitches about the space and nickel and diming and decline in service but non business travelers choose on price

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

identical to airline pricing. everyone bitches about the space and nickel and diming and decline in service but non business travelers choose on price

To a point.  Spirit is always the cheapest option DFW/LAX.  I made that mistake once, never again.  I might take them to Austin or Houston if they were significantly cheaper, but 3.5 hours hours is too fucking long to be uncomfortable.