"Add a Tip"

Ghost of LL

1 minute ago, Ag with kids said:

During the Early Coronazoic Period, when everything was getting locked down, the Italian restaurant on the island was having to shutter its doors.  We were there the last night having dinner and watching a buddy play music.  They had an auction of bags of toilet paper (remember how it was impossible to find) as part of a fundraiser to help the staff that was being laid off.  We knew most of them and wanted to help.  So I won one of the bags...8 rolls IIRC for $335.  But, it helped out our friends.  So, cool.

Still not tipping if people are paid $15/hr.

Bravo to the first paragraph.  As for the last sentence, don’t move to the west coast. Waiters make 15/Hr out here 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Bravo to the first paragraph.  As for the last sentence, don’t move to the west coast. Waiters make 15/Hr out here 

I go out to visit my oldest daughter in Big Bear every few years.  So, I can limit it.

I DO have a work trip in Nov to San Jose though.  I'm on per diem, but because I work for the state, they won't reimburse tips (that's really a thing).  That combined with them making $15/hr makes a convincing case not to tip.

39 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

32 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I go out to visit my oldest daughter in Big Bear every few years.  So, I can limit it.

I DO have a work trip in Nov to San Jose though.  I'm on per diem, but because I work for the state, they won't reimburse tips (that's really a thing).  That combined with them making $15/hr makes a convincing case not to tip.

Look at it this way you’re paying twenty bucks for a 100.00 meal. Good karma. Things are more expensive out here 

On 8/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, Ag with kids said:

Why just in the US then?

People get paid a normal wage in Europe/Asia/etc.  And you're not supposed to tip there.

But, in the US, we are?  Why? 

I understand tipping in places like TX where the pay is DESIGNED around the tip (the whole $2.31/hr thing).  But, why in other places where the pay is NOT designed around the tip?  That was the whole point of raising the pay of those servers...to give them a living wage and NOT be beholden to living on tips.

Minimum wage is not a normal wage

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Weird . . . I used to do a little travel for UT on government defense contracts.  Per diem was pretty cushy for a young single dude.  Still, on the rare tipped dinner I never got any pushback on the tip.

I work for TAMU-CC.  We have been told unequivocally that when traveling on state funds they do NOT cover tips (don't get me started on how inefficient the state is to do actuals and not just straight per diem).  Now, individual departments may spend their own budgets to cover them but ours doesn't due to lack of local funds that can cover them.  Maybe where you worked they had the funds (and if it was defense money, they could probably charge it to the contract - I know in my defense days they covered tips before everyone got smart and went to straight per diem).

41 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

$15/hr is.  LOTS of people work for that in completely non-tipping jobs.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Bumping minimum wage to $15/hr and eliminating tips would represent a pay cut.  Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Why do you care if the person SERVING YOUR FOOD and the person COOKING YOUR FOOD make <gosh> $50K per year?

Why doesn't anyone tip at fast food restaurants then?  They do those things.  Maybe at a lower level, but they still do those things.  And with the bill much lower than a nice sit down restaurant, the tip will be pretty small if you did tip them - but they'd LOVE that extra money.  Probably much more than the server at Applebees.

And I don't care HOW much they make.

59 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I work for TAMU-CC.  We have been told unequivocally that when traveling on state funds they do NOT cover tips (don't get me started on how inefficient the state is to do actuals and not just straight per diem).  Now, individual departments may spend their own budgets to cover them but ours doesn't due to lack of local funds that can cover them.  Maybe where you worked they had the funds (and if it was defense money, they could probably charge it to the contract - I know in my defense days they covered tips before everyone got smart and went to straight per diem).

$15/hr is.  LOTS of people work for that in completely non-tipping jobs.

15 Hr is minimum wage on the west coast.  You’re not in Kansas I mean corpus anymore.  

your meal is already being paid for by taxpayers.    You can afford ten bucks for a tip?

or is your thought process “holy shit 15 bucks an hour is a lot of money!!”

Edited by closetohumping

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

15 Hr is minimum wage on the west coast.  You’re not in Kansas I mean corpus anymore.  

your meal is already being paid for by taxpayers.    You can afford ten bucks for a tip?

or is your thought process “holy shit 15 bucks an hour is a lot of money!!”

As I said in my earlier post...

I understand tipping in places like TX where the pay is DESIGNED around the tip (the whole $2.31/hr thing).  But, why in other places where the pay is NOT designed around the tip?  That was the whole point of raising the pay of those servers...to give them a living wage and NOT be beholden to living on tips.

I DO tip where the wage is designed around tipping AND I tip well.  Servers here only "technically" get the fed MW of $7.25 - they depend on tips to make at least that or, obviously they hope, much more.

But, where the server actually makes not just fed MW but over double, they're not trying to make up that difference with tips although they'd, again, obviously like much more.

Why just tip the server there and not the gas station attendant making MW of $15/hr too?  Or in Europe?  I looked and they make about 10-15 euros/hr and DO NOT expect tips.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2023 at 11:38 AM, conVINCEd said:

Counter service where everything is DIY: no tip

Takeout from a full service restaurant where you pick up the order at the bar and someone bagged it up nicely:$5

Curbside: the greater of 15% or $5

Dine in at a full service restaurant: 20-25%, maybe more if the service is exceptional, which doesn’t happen very often these days.

The thought of tipping at a tire repair shop made me spit out the water I was drinking. 

Tire repair man is getting tipped automatic. I sure as he'll ain't repairing my own tire in this heat. God bless that man. 

4 hours ago, royiv said:

Bullshit. You said if someone is making $15/hr that they don't deserve a tip so clearly care how much they make or you wouldn't have said that.

But employees making $15 an hour in non-service industries don't get tipped. 

"Thanks for ringing my groceries up. You should have been making your wage at a restaurant. I'd have tipped you."

• Haha 1

To answer somebody's question earlier in the thread (I'm not reading through this abortion to find the actual post):

Ate at subway on friday (yeah, I know) and they have that "add a tip thing" on their credit card machine. I asked the dude if they actually get those tips, and he said its split between all the employees who are on the clock at the time the card is run.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So the bigger question is, with all the other sandwich shops available, why the fuck would anyone ever choose to eat at Subway?

Spoken like someone who’s never had to grab a meal at the nearest rural gas station, only to be disappointed that it’s one of those gas stations with a subway and not a deep fryer.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

As I said in my earlier post...

I DO tip where the wage is designed around tipping AND I tip well.  Servers here only "technically" get the fed MW of $7.25 - they depend on tips to make at least that or, obviously they hope, much more.

But, where the server actually makes not just fed MW but over double, they're not trying to make up that difference with tips although they'd, again, obviously like much more.

Why just tip the server there and not the gas station attendant making MW of $15/hr too?  Or in Europe?  I looked and they make about 10-15 euros/hr and DO NOT expect tips.

Because being a waiter is a lot harder than being a gas station attendant and we’ve tipped waiters for…..checks watch……200 years?  The fact that Seattle waiter starts at 15 an hour and Texas waiter starts at 2.13 should be irrelevant COL is much higher up there. 

But hey just give them that corpus aggy charm.  That’s a big enough tip

14 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Waiting tables is not usually a fulltime job either.  It can be, of course, but a lot of folks gravitate to it for the flexibility in part time schedules.  You know this of course.

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I see grocery stockers working harder than most waiters. You should tip them. 

I don’t. I usually bag my own groceries.  They’re hardly found out here.  Maybe a California thing.  I’d much rather bag some groceries for an hour than handle a four table section if the money were the same though.  Hell I’d rather dig a ditch if the money were the same

*edit   You said stockers   Yes I’d much rather do that than wait tables lol  any day

Edited by closetohumping

Yeah, the shelf doesn't have "needs" or "suggestions."  I'd much rather stock groceries.  It does require a certain level of physical effort yes, and that's why stockers are typical 20 something males; but the demands aren't remotely close to someone busting their ass waiting tables.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yeah, the shelf doesn't have "needs" or "suggestions."  I'd much rather stock groceries.  It does require a certain level of physical effort yes, and that's why stockers are typical 20 something males; but the demands aren't remotely close to someone busting their ass waiting tables.

Yes now obviously your body breaks down quicker digging ditches.   Most waiters will tell you they’d rather cook or was dishes than wait tables as well.  If the money were the same 

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yes now obviously your body breaks down quicker digging ditches.   Most waiters will tell you they’d rather cook or was dishes than wait tables as well.  If the money were the same 

The tipping system exists for waiters because they make $2.13 an hour. That's why we tip them, with the idea being that when tips are factored plus the low base pay, they will average to some sort of hourly wage-- call it $12-18 an hour.

If we are moving away from paying $2.13 an hour, for whatever reason be it led by the business or because waiters gripe about it, and you are paid $12-18 or $20 or whatever it is an hour, then the tipping is not necessary anymore.

To argue for it the increase in base pay and to keep the tipping system in place is what we call having your cake and eating it too. I get that you have the lived experience of a service worker and so it's more personal to you, but can you see how the dynamic changing could change the behaviors of how we've always done things?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Hell I’d rather dig a ditch if the money were the same

I will put you to work right fucking now. L O fucking L either you're a liar or more likely you've never had to dig for a living and you're talking out your ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

The tipping system exists for waiters because they make $2.13 an hour. That's why we tip them, with the idea being that when tips are factored plus the low base pay, they will average to some sort of hourly wage-- call it $12-18 an hour.

If we are moving away from paying $2.13 an hour, for whatever reason be it led by the business or because waiters gripe about it, and you are paid $12-18 or $20 or whatever it is an hour, then the tipping is not necessary anymore.

To argue for it the increase in base pay and to keep the tipping system in place is what we call having your cake and eating it too. I get that you have the lived experience of a service worker and so it's more personal to you, but can you see how the dynamic changing could change the behaviors of how we've always done things?

2.13 has never been the norm in Seattle.  Sorry things cost more out here.  There are no 300k homes

20 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

What about an auto-grat?  Can you expense that?  Or what if it's phrased as a "service charge?"

My point being, can't you conspire a bit with the waiter to have him key it into the POS as an auto-grat or a service charge so as to allow you to expense it?

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

What about an auto-grat?  Can you expense that?  Or what if it's phrased as a "service charge?"

My point being, can't you conspire a bit with the waiter to have him key it into the POS as an auto-grat or a service charge so as to allow you to expense it?

Or your 70.00 meal is paid for.  Surely you can find 14.00 somewhere

55 minutes ago, Paco said:

I will put you to work right fucking now. L O fucking L either you're a liar or more likely you've never had to dig for a living and you're talking out your ass.

Lol. Will you pay me what I make now?  Cover my insurance, 401k etc? If so I need three years upfront as it would be a career shift.  

we can talk offline about numbers and logistics.  Message me 

Edited by closetohumping

1 hour ago, animaltobacco11 said:

You'd be calling it wrong.  Last night I specifically asked my daughter, who slings plates at a campus-area diner for pocket change, what her base pay is. 

Her:  "$2.13 per hour".

Me:  "OK, if you were bumped to $15 per hour with no tips, would you take that?"

Her:  "Oh, hell no.  I make more that $15 per hour on a slow night."

This idea that $15 per hour should negate any tipping is bullshit.  Disabuse yourself of that notion.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You'd be calling it wrong.  Last night I specifically asked my daughter, who slings plates at a campus-area diner for pocket change, what her base pay is. 

Me:  "OK, if you were bumped to $15 per hour with no tips, would you take that?"

This idea that $15 per hour should negate any tipping is bullshit.  Disabuse yourself of that notion.

I would not wait tables for 15 an hour.  I'd rather dig ditches for 15 an hour. 

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

Again, tip everyone else making $15 an hour. You aren't that special just because because you wait tables. 

That's illogical.  The market is already telling us that waiting tables is worth more than $15 per hour.  You just don't want to believe it, you just want the same service for less money.

13 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Because being a waiter is a lot harder than being a gas station attendant and we’ve tipped waiters for…..checks watch……200 years?  The fact that Seattle waiter starts at 15 an hour and Texas waiter starts at 2.13 should be irrelevant COL is much higher up there. 

But hey just give them that corpus aggy charm.  That’s a big enough tip

We should tip them because "that's how we've always done it?"  But, not in Europe where they're making the same base pay because "that's how we've always done it."

And if we're getting into COL, isn't it the same for the gas station attendant as the server?

2 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

We should tip them because "that's how we've always done it?"  But, not in Europe where they're making the same base pay because "that's how we've always done it."

And if we're getting into COL, isn't it the same for the gas station attendant as the server?

So why pay engineers $200/hr, or attorneys $600/hr?  Why not $15/hr?  Everything is the same, every job has the same value, right?

You have a mighty fucked up view of the free market.  We've already established that, on average, servers are worth well above $15/hr, but you want to cap their pay at that amount if that's their base.  Why?  Who are you to say what they should be paid?

I already get the feeling you're the jackass who is dragging their effective hourly rate down, but go with me here.  Explain why you think everyone but you should be paid $15/hr, max.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think it has to be something that doesn't "look like" a tip.  The state is anal about that shit.  Gotta be "good stewards of the taxpayers money" and all that shit.

I just turn in my receipts and then the admins take care of it.

7 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Gas station attendants in Seattle make more than gas station attendants in Texas.  

and I don’t live in Europe so what they do doesn’t really impact me

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm listening. Can you give me a logical explanation? I can be swayed.

And what this discussion has done more than anything is definitively shot down the "wah waiters only make $2.13 an hour so even if you get crappy, horrible service, you should still tip 10 or 20%" because it sounds like waiters are making so much money in this system that they won't get out of bed for $15-20/hour to do the job and so they ought to earn their tips with a minimum of average service.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I'm listening. Can you give me a logical explanation? I can be swayed.

And what this discussion has done more than anything is definitively shot down the "wah waiters only make $2.13 an hour so even if you get crappy, horrible service, you should still tip 10 or 20%" because it sounds like waiters are making so much money in this system that they won't get out of bed for $15-20/hour to do the job and so they ought to earn their tips with a minimum of average service.

Not sure anyone has advocated tipping for bad service.  

The logical explanation?  Did you take any math classes past, say, 5th grade?

The logical explanation is that minimum wage + tips tends to exceed $15/hr, so shifting to a base of $15/hr with no tipping would be a pay cut.  Is that what you want?  Do you want to reduce pay for low paid workers?