EPL 2023/24: Oil, Money and Power

Captain Ron

For those keeping track at home, that's fourteen "whoopies, my bad. Hope this doesn't adversely affect your season.  And if it does... eh." in the past 12 months.  

At this point, PGMOL needs to acknowledge there is a problem, because they have one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The reasoning behind VAR was a good one: have a system in-place to catch major and glaring errors.  If 2b viewers watching live around the world get immediately shown replays when the ref missed something, why shouldn't the ref have some sort of backup? What it has become, though, isn't that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

With billions of dollars at stake, the fact that EPL refs are so shit is inexcusable. 

When was the last time you watched an NFL game and felt the way you feel every weekend watching these buffoons?

I think the differences in the sport really don't tend for football penalties/calls to make an impact they way they do in soccer games. Sure, a penalty can wipe out a score, but the team will usually still have the ball and a chance to score again. And except for late game scenarios, you will often have future possessions to score.

In soccer, a call like the Spurs-Liverpool offsides are extremely impactful. First goals are at a premium, so failing to score you might not have as many chances. Second, a call like that has major impact. It pulls off a goal AND Liverpool loses that chance to score. A team might not see another chance to score for a long time. 

If you put a TD erasing penalty in an NFL game in a similar time slot (1/3 of the way through a game) it wouldn't impact an NFL game the same way this call did this game.

• Hook 'Em 1

I understand they are different sports. But they can (and do) review fouls leading up to goals. The NFL does not (in many cases). 

The point remains, there aren't many goals in a game (unless it's 7-0, fuck you ManU) so they could do a quick check as the teams are celebrating to review offside/fouls/etc. leading up to the goal. Get the call right and few will complain.

Or else ditch the who thing and go back to whatever happens happens (which no one wants). VAR was supposed to be an improvement. Right now, there are too many "human errors" in a computerized system.

Spurs with the quick restart too. Similar to an NFL team running the hurry-up to not give the other team a chance to throw the challenge flag when they know something might not have been clean.

@Cheeseweasel - just to go back to your points yesterday - this isn't about reviewing/not reviewing - this was a fundamental breakdown of the mechanism. On field call - Offisdes. VAR - not offsides. Communication break down- a bad call stands. That just shouldn't happen.

What a bunch of incompetent morons. There’s no other way to put it. 

I guess I can’t say I’m super surprised at how incompetent they are though. This league has been atrocious since VAR came with the officiating. Every other FA on the planet seems to have found a way to do this much more effectively and with fewer mistakes. Joke league that pretends it’s not 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

And maybe these fuckers can start communicating in plain English instead of sounding like Seal Team 6 storming Bin Laden’s compound. 

“check”

”got 1 tango”

”drawing a line… (heavy breathing).. go go go”

”tango down”

”check complete”

Seriously how hard is it to say “checking for offside. Player is onside, goal.” 

45 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Part of the problem I have always thought is that there is just one ref.  Yes, I know they have linesmen, but that big a field, that much space....always have felt like there should be two refs out there. 

This. He’s 1 guy watching 20 world class outfield players from a single angle. Yes he’s going to miss shit. Get more guys out there. The NHL and NBA both realized that cleans up play, why can’t FIFA?

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ake's face with the wonderful assist on that goal. 

Ohhh, that’s gonna leave a mark. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Konate not getting sent off on a second yellow?

Sure he could have. It would have been pretty harsh imo, and in Tim Howard’s, but he could have gone. Both Youngs fouls were obvious yellows.

If you want to win you have to try to score goals. That’s just how it is. Dyche’s teams don’t play to win.

That's stupid and the two situations are not at all similar. And Klopp said there should be a replay but he knew that wouldn't happen. I guess if VAR comes out and acknowledges they screwed up on the Konate non-call then that question would make actual sense.

Supposedly a fake edit

Edited by mdmost
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That wouldn’t have been harsh. It was a clear tactical foul with no play on the ball, just stopping a break. That’s, to me as clear of a yellow as you can give.

I disagree. Thought the attacker slowed up a bit and Konate hit his leg due to it. 

None of that really matters to my overall point though. When you play games for a 0-0 draw you’re not gonna get much rub of the green.