Colorado Vacation Destinations - Not Quite So Crowded, But Still Cool

Dbeasy

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't understand what this means. Annoying people? How?

He doesn't want people to come where he is.  But they're coming whether he wants them to or not.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No to Creede?  Too far from Denver?

Definitely too far.  

Every town that comes close to meeting your needs will have crowds, there’s no getting away from the crowds in the summer.  Estes Park is great simply because it is right by RMNP.  Other than that it is extremely touristy, redneck touristy in my opinion.  It feels like no one actually lives there but just drive in to provide amenities for the tourist.  At least the other towns you can tell people live there.

Crested Butte would be perfect for you if it’s not too far away.  It has almost everything you’re looking for, especially if you add in Gunnison.

Aspen would be a really good option.  It’s more upscale but definitely has what you want.

Buena Vista would be a good place to go that’s not near as touristy as other towns but it’s not right up against a mountain like the more popular towns.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't understand what this means. Annoying people? How?

I'm just being a dick. Everybody has their jam. I think Breck is wayyy too crowded and the locals are pricks. Lots of people love it.

If you want the mountain town vibe with shopping, lots of restaurants, etc. there's going to be lots of people around to support those things. Everywhere has access to all the outdoor stuff so that's ultimately a wash.

Just depends on what vibe you want. My picks would be Telluride, Crested Butte, or Steamboat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Lake City.

Hiking and fly fishing are why people go there.  It's isolated, beautiful, and doesn't have much for tourist amenities but there are 5-6 14ers within a half hour of there, and (allegedly) kick ass fishing.  The place isn't overrun at all, and has a few bars and restaurants to hold you over for the evenings.

Riding on the Alpine Loop in OHV's or jeeps is the other reason people go there. Since Silverton banned OHV's in town starting last year, they have all gone to Lake City. July and the first few weeks of August are very busy now. I have been in Lake City since mid-May and leaving in October. Some people will love it, some people will be bored af.

Riding on the Alpine Loop in OHV's or jeeps is the other reason people go there. Since Silverton banned OHV's in town starting last year, they have all gone to Lake City. July and the first few weeks of August are very busy now. I have been in Lake City since mid-May and leaving in October. Some people will love it, some people will be bored af.
How bad did it have to get for Silverton of all places to ban those fucking things? I can't believe anyone puts up with them.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, po elvis said:

How bad did it have to get for Silverton of all places to ban those fucking things? I can't believe anyone puts up with them.

How are they different from Jeeps in their annoyance?  

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't mind them. I have been on the loop a few times in other's side by sides. They are better than jeeps for the trails. They are more open and you just get a better peripheral view of everything.

But there are people that hate them. The main thing is the noise. They are a lot louder than jeeps. The other thing is the sheer number of them. They come in groups. They kick up a lot of dust. Certain people don't like the type of people who generally ride in them. American flags, etc. The detractors say they speed and drive stupid, but I think they are just looking for things to be annoyed about. They aren't driving any faster thru town than any other vehicle.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

I don't mind them. I have been on the loop a few times in other's side by sides. They are better than jeeps for the trails. They are more open and you just get a better peripheral view of everything.

But there are people that hate them. The main thing is the noise. They are a lot louder than jeeps. The other thing is the sheer number of them. They come in groups. They kick up a lot of dust. Certain people don't like the type of people who generally ride in them. American flags, etc. The detractors say they speed and drive stupid, but I think they are just looking for things to be annoyed about. They aren't driving any faster thru town than any other vehicle.

I'm a hiker, so I don't generally frequent the same places they go.  I took a jeep up to Imogene Pass a couple of summers ago and it was great, but I do have some qualms about jeep/ohv trails through the wilderness.  Is what it is I guess.

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm a hiker, so I don't generally frequent the same places they go.  I took a jeep up to Imogene Pass a couple of summers ago and it was great, but I do have some qualms about jeep/ohv trails through the wilderness.  Is what it is I guess.

Lake City gets a lot of hikers from the Colorado Trail (Denver to Durango) come through. They sit by the road at Spring Creek pass and hitch the 20 minute ride into town to stay a night or two and then get a ride back. We always pick them up when driving by there. Got 6 of them in at one time once. Yeah almost had to 'seinfeld' the vehicle after that one. One of the churches has a weekly Sunday hiker dinner and a hiker center where they can go and get snacks and stuff. Also it is a stop for bikers doing the Trans-America trail coast to coast. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

They are much louder than Jeeps and the people who drive them tend to go at a much faster rate of speed than other 4WDs.  And they aren't road legal, nor do they have insurance.

Fucking hate those things.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

The detractors say they speed and drive stupid, but I think they are just looking for things to be annoyed about. They aren't driving any faster thru town than any other vehicle.

You need to spend more time around them if you think people aren't hauling ass all over the place in them.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

As long as people stay on the trails, everything is good.  But some people think it's OK to blaze their own trail and that is how trails get shut down for everyone.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They are much louder than Jeeps and the people who drive them tend to go at a much faster rate of speed than other 4WDs.  And they aren't road legal, nor do they have insurance.

Fucking hate those things.

You need to spend more time around them if you think people aren't hauling ass all over the place in them.

I am really talking about in town where people want to ban them. On the trails, I do agree with you more of the OHV drivers do go faster than they should be.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

Lake City gets a lot of hikers from the Colorado Trail (Denver to Durango) come through. They sit by the road at Spring Creek pass and hitch the 20 minute ride into town to stay a night or two and then get a ride back. We always pick them up when driving by there. Got 6 of them in at one time once. Yeah almost had to 'seinfeld' the vehicle after that one. One of the churches has a weekly Sunday hiker dinner and a hiker center where they can go and get snacks and stuff. Also it is a stop for bikers doing the Trans-America trail coast to coast. 

That is awesome.  Keep being a trail angel.  It is so appreciated by hikers.  

On 9/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, 6th Street said:

Not a fan of Estes Park. Too many fat Texans waddling around 

Recommend the Vail/Beaver Creek area - so much to do there between fly fishing, golf, dining, boozing, etc.  

Beaver Creek is nice during summer. (According to a bud who live there during summer). I’ve been during winter and it is small but lots of music and nice restaurants. Bud says he does a lot hiking during the day and lots of small concerts in the evenings. If this gotdamn heat doesn’t break, bud is having a guest for a couple of weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you haven't already thought about the altitude of Winter Park, you should know the town is at like 8,000 feet, the resort is at about 9,000 and particularly for the 80 year old but also those in their 60s, you might want to adjust beforehand with a stop for a couple nights along the way at someplace like Boulder or Golden.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 11:18 PM, Chopper said:

If you haven't already thought about the altitude of Winter Park, you should know the town is at like 8,000 feet, the resort is at about 9,000 and particularly for the 80 year old but also those in their 60s, you might want to adjust beforehand with a stop for a couple nights along the way at someplace like Boulder or Golden.

Great point. Had not thought about that at all. Yes, that could be an issue, because we do have some health issues in the group. 

We love the recommendations for Crested Butte, Telluride, Leadville, Buena Vista, Creede, etc.  The wife and I have decided we are hitting them all in the next few years. After (re)considering a few of the requirements, we realized we are flying into Denver rather than driving up from Austin, because we have two young kids in the group and that drive would be hell. So given that, we are thinking either:

1. Golden for two nights to aclimate and then Winter Park for the remainder, using it as a home base for Breckenridge, Grand Lake if people want to drive there, or

2. Steamboat Springs, and then catch the wedding on the way back. I'm trying to figure out what Steamboat is like in the summer. It seems incredible in the winter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Great point. Had not thought about that at all. Yes, that could be an issue, because we do have some health issues in the group. 

We love the recommendations for Crested Butte, Telluride, Leadville, Buena Vista, Creede, etc.  The wife and I have decided we are hitting them all in the next few years. After (re)considering a few of the requirements, we realized we are flying into Denver rather than driving up from Austin, because we have two young kids in the group and that drive would be hell. So given that, we are thinking either:

1. Golden for two nights to aclimate and then Winter Park for the remainder, using it as a home base for Breckenridge, Grand Lake if people want to drive there, or

2. Steamboat Springs, and then catch the wedding on the way back. I'm trying to figure out what Steamboat is like in the summer. It seems incredible in the winter.

1.  Winter Park is a good place to stay and hang out. but WP to Breck is a good 90-120 minute drive.   Spending 4 hours of your day in the car isn't great.  

2.  Steamboat is fairly quiet in the summer.   There is stuff to do but not as much as WP and nowhere close to Breck.    

Personally, being in the mountains at any of those places would be A-OK with me.   

• Hook 'Em 1

spacer.png

Hopefully you're going to the mountains to experience the outdoors. There is PLENTY to do in any mountain town you choose, and the idea that Breck has wayyy more to do than anywhere else is silly. Breck has all the same stuff everywhere else has, just with a ton more yahoos around you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me rephrase that then....   Breckenridge is in better proximity to more.   Rafting is available down near Buena Vista.   You can bike the Vail Pass.  There's a great playhouse theater and more dining options in Breck as well as Frisco and Silverthorne.   Steamboat and Winterpark are both awesome but don't have the variety.   Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly spend a week in both but if someone wants a very good variety, Breck is hard to beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Let me rephrase that then....   Breckenridge is in better proximity to more.   Rafting is available down near Buena Vista.   You can bike the Vail Pass.  There's a great playhouse theater and more dining options in Breck as well as Frisco and Silverthorne.   Steamboat and Winterpark are both awesome but don't have the variety.   Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly spend a week in both but if someone wants a very good variety, Breck is hard to beat.

I'm not trying to pick an internet fight. but I disagree. You can do a whitewater float on the Yampa basically from town that time of year. There's dozens of biking trails from Steamboat of every distance/fitness level imaginable. There's also a performing arts theatre, dance theatre, movies on the mountain, etc.

re: dining, he's got a big group that won't even be able to find an open table in Breck. 

Bottomline is if the guy doesn't want crowds, Breck is at the bottom of the list in terms of places to recommend. Given that was the one requirement he put in the title, I think it would be a mistake to send his crew there.

In any event, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure OP will have a blast wherever he ends up!

• Hook 'Em 2

Mildly off-topic, but some of my happiest memories come in these towns and we never stay in them.

You hike all day then find a restaurant like Claire's in Estes Park or Tommyknocker's in Idaho Springs and sit down with a burger, fries, and a beer and swear it's just the best meal you've ever had in your life. It doesn't matter if the food is really just average because you're so hungry, tired, and cold that the warmth of the food just overtakes everything else. 

We did the same thing on our wedding night as we got married on the top of Mt Storm King in Olympic which was a pretty intense uphill hike in wedding clothes. Getting back to Port Angeles at midnight we put a whole large pizza we had bought at a local pizzeria that morning in the oven and ate the whole thing sipping on champagne. Good times, good times.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, Chewbacca said:

Serious question - why do people like Estes Park so much?  There are so many other places that do everything Estes does, but better.

It sounds Mexican, exotic.  I'm biased because my sister married into the Estes family.  A lot of them live in Florida so take that for what it's worth.

On 9/17/2023 at 2:27 PM, Dbeasy said:

Steamboat and WP are both great for summer - can't go wrong with either one.  Steamboat will have more dining options, though.  It's a much bigger town.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I'm not trying to pick an internet fight. but I disagree. You can do a whitewater float on the Yampa basically from town that time of year. There's dozens of biking trails from Steamboat of every distance/fitness level imaginable. There's also a performing arts theatre, dance theatre, movies on the mountain, etc.

re: dining, he's got a big group that won't even be able to find an open table in Breck. 

Bottomline is if the guy doesn't want crowds, Breck is at the bottom of the list in terms of places to recommend. Given that was the one requirement he put in the title, I think it would be a mistake to send his crew there.

In any event, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure OP will have a blast wherever he ends up!

Yep.  Other than restaurants (which I'd give the nod to Steamboat over Breck, TBH, and WP at the bottom of those 3), mountain towns are mountain towns.  They all have fishing, hiking and biking coming out their ears.  But Breck is the last place I'd go if I want to avoid crowds.  I get why people like it, but it's crowded as fuck.

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, analysis paralysis has set in. The group has also grown by four. Since coming in from Denver airport, we've ruled out Steamboat as too far up and back down to Winter Park. So now the options are:

1. Spend 3 days in Golden, then the next 4 in Winter Park.

2. Spend 3 days in Grand Lake, then the next 4 in Winter Park.

3. Spend 3 days in Breckenridge, then the next 4 in Winter Park.

We could probably deal a bit with crowds. We have several folks who aren't all that mobile/active (either old or have infants or health shaky( so strolling thru a town would be appreciated.  The other folks are very active: hiking, rafting, paddleboarding, etc.

The input from everyone has been incredible. It seems like any of these three options would work.

On 9/21/2023 at 2:18 PM, SimonBolivar said:

We did the same thing on our wedding night as we got married on the top of Mt Storm King in Olympic which was a pretty intense uphill hike in wedding clothes. Getting back to Port Angeles at midnight we put a whole large pizza we had bought at a local pizzeria that morning in the oven and ate the whole thing sipping on champagne. Good times, good times.

Man, have some Rep... That's a great hike in 'regular' clothes. 

Feel free to share pics (of the ceremony or the post-pizza revelry, your choice) 

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

As usual, analysis paralysis has set in. The group has also grown by four. Since coming in from Denver airport, we've ruled out Steamboat as too far up and back down to Winter Park. So now the options are:

We could probably deal a bit with crowds. We have several folks who aren't all that mobile/active (either old or have infants or health shaky( so strolling thru a town would be appreciated.  The other folks are very active: hiking, rafting, paddleboarding, etc.

The input from everyone has been incredible. It seems like any of these three options would work.

Grand Lake or Breckenridge is my vote.   Golden is Ok but why stay in what is just a suburb of a big city?

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Stay at one of the dude ranches in Grand Lake. Neat little town, easy access to the lakes, RMNP, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/3/2023 at 6:19 PM, Dbeasy said:

I'm taking the extended family (adult kids, grandma, grandkids) to Colorado next summer because we have a wedding to attend at the end of June in Winter Park. For you Colorado experts, do you have any thoughts where we could go for a week beforehand.  We have a mix of ages (79, 60, 60, 33, 30, 28, 2, 1). The group likes the following types of activities:

High Priority - Hiking; Fly fishing

Medium Priority - Historical – Monuments, Parks, etc.; Special Activities – Train rides, etc; Foods/Restaurants; Breweries/wineries; Fishing; Water/Lake/Beach/Swimming;  Rafting; Kayaking; Cool town; Shopping; Biking; Alpine slides; Cool drives

Low Priority - Golf, Museums, Concerts, Boat Rides

I'm leery of places like Estes Park because of crowds. Any ideas would be appreciated.

We did Breckenridge this past summer with three other families and kids ranging from 7-teens. For what you are looking to do, it would fit the bill. One day do rafting on the Arkansas then boom, you are setup for lunch / exploring Buena Vista and you can stop through Leadville also on way back to Breck. One day do the Vail pass on bikes, opt for a bike pickup location in Frisco, and boom another cool town to spend the day at. Then head to Lake Dillon which is right there and fish on a pontoon. Easy peasy. Another day can be downtown Breck exploring, hitting up the brewery and distillery etc. There are too many hiking places to list but you have no shortage.

The town itself is small, like 5x12 mini blocks. It was definitely crowded but parking a few blocks off the main street and it's no problem. One big but obvious piece of advice is research what excursions you are wanting to do and get a reservation for EVERYTHING. Book guides for rafting, bikes, and fishing weeks in advance. Lunches and dinners, at least in Breck and probably Frisco too. You can do tennis/pickeball in your downtime at the rec center very nearby but again, make a reservation. HTH, good luck.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Grand Lake is the way to go, IMO.  You've got RMNP right there, you can spend a day in the park, drive over Trail Ridge Road, rent boats on the lake, window shop in Grand Lake.  Grand Lake will be busy, but shouldn't be overly crowded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Of the 3, Breck has my vote.  My choice would be to rent a home in town.  South of Wellington, north of Carter Park, east of Main and west of Moonstone.  Nice homes and easy walk to town.  Great hikes can be started there.  Make your dinner reservations a week or so in advance.  Don't plan on lunch in town Saturday or Sunday unless you go early.  The olds can walk the neighborhood or an easy hike above Carter Park.  Pickleball is very popular at Carter Park.  50-60 people show up daily to play on 12 courts.  Walk over to Peak 9 activities or ride the gondola to Peak 8.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm biased, but it's Brek. So much stuff to do in a relatively small area. Frisco and Keystone really close. Want to see how the poors live (and get a helluva view)?  Go over Hoosier Pass and check out Fairplay. It's the home of South Park. The drive down to Royal Gorge from there is about an hour and a half of fantastic scenery. But again, I'm biased.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I'm biased, but it's Brek. So much stuff to do in a relatively small area. Frisco and Keystone really close. Want to see how the poors live (and get a helluva view)?  Go over Hoosier Pass and check out Fairplay. It's the home of South Park. The drive down to Royal Gorge from there is about an hour and a half of fantastic scenery. But again, I'm biased.

The poors in Fairplay?  Lulz.  Mountain real estate is expensive everywhere these days.

I spent a night and next morning in Salida on way to Aspen last summer.  Had dinner downtown and then went to bed as we had driven all the way from Houston. Next morning we hung out in town and walked around.  I really liked Salida and the real estate prices were pretty reasonable.  Arkansas River runs through town and there is skiing close enough with Monarch (no idea how good it is as I have never skiied it).

We just closed, today, on a place in Whitefish.  But if I was looking for something up and coming, where you can still get something and not pay ridiculous prices, I would look hard at Salida. 

Also, I read through this thread.  I grew up spending a month every summer in Breckenridge from the early 80s to mid 00s as my grandparents had a house there.  And the last 15 years I have spent as much time in summers as possible in Aspen.

I went to Breck for a few days last summer.  My God it is crowded.  And a lot more people of Wal Mart types than I recall ever seeing there in my youth.  

Always loved Winter Park.

Aspen has gotten stupid expensive.  I was going through my emails the other day.  The place I rent every summer, which is very basic and nothing fancy but located right in town, has tripled in cost since 2015.  And the restaurants, which have always been high, have gotten stupid.  It is hard to justify what Aspen charges, but if money is not an issue, it is an awesome place.  Great restaurants. Airport right at the city limits so easy to get to.  Good golf. Good fishing and rafting nearby. Beautiful people. Great hikes in town (I love the Ute) and next to town. Great shops for the wives. Many lovely parks and green spaces right in town for the kids. Snowmass Rodeo. Maroon Bells. Biking to Woody Creek Tavern (and back for a bit of a workout). Always running into our and our kids' Houston and Dallas friends. The cost though has just gotten too high for me to stomach.