Socks & Trolls: The CR Thread

MaybeACoordinator

On 7/4/2018 at 11:30 PM, Continental Op said:

I think he posted as coffeedillon or something over on Shaggy.  He is super old and, like Red Five mentioned, I think Blacklab said something about him having health issues.  He's a right wing nutter but I am pretty sure he is not a sock.  

Yep, this.  Despite his crusty and at times nonsensical posts, I recall that blacklab said he was a solid old fella that bled orange.

12 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It's pretty instructive to look at reputation points.  Look at the poster UDayDanceParty's reputation. 

The poster "Annie"  gave the poster UDayDanceParty five upvotes in two minutes time on four different boards on Monday, from 9:43 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.  I suppose it's possible that Annie just thinks that UdayDanceParty is brilliant beyond belief, but my guess is that they are the same person.  Then Annie was banned from the board.   

Look at Clob94's reputation.  The poster UdayDanceParty has given  Clob94  11 upvotes in the past 11 hours, oftentimes within a minute or two after Clob94 posted.   Again, UDayDanceParty may think that Clob94 is the most brilliant poster ever.  But my guess is that the only reason UDayDanceParty is giving Clob94 upvotes is to inoculate Clob94 against downvotes.  

I wish there was some way to stop the bullshit. One way might be to make it so that, if somebody gets banned by the board, all their upvotes get removed from people's reputation points. 

Okay Jessica Fletcher, so I guess next you are going to claim you think both are my socks. 

We instituted the option of banning people based on rep and it's resulted in certain posters acting like kindergartners.

People like brian fantana (and others) can unload 10+ negs a day on a single person and do it on a regular basis.  Not a peep from you because he's on your team.   In response, people on the other team, +rep those posters to prevent them from getting banned simply for having a different opinion.  And you seem to have a problem with that?

Keep in mind that some posters on here know eachother IRL and are willing to "inoculate" those they believe are being cyber-bullied.  If that really bothers you, maybe you need to take a moment to self reflect why that is... 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, udaydanceparty said:

Okay Jessica Fletcher, so I guess next you are going to claim you think both are my socks. 

We instituted the option of banning people based on rep and it's resulted in certain posters acting like kindergartners.

People like brian fantana (and others) can unload 10+ negs a day on a single person and do it on a regular basis.  Not a peep from you because he's on your team.   In response, people on the other team, +rep those posters to prevent them from getting banned simply for having a different opinion.  And you seem to have a problem with that?

Keep in mind that some posters on here know eachother IRL and are willing to "inoculate" those they believe are being cyber-bullied.  If that really bothers you, maybe you need to take a moment to self reflect why that is... 

Maybe you should take a moment to self reflect on why you are trying to keep admitted trolls who registered four usernames on the same day specifically because they intended to troll alive.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe you should take a moment to self reflect on why you are trying to keep admitted trolls who registered four usernames on the same day specifically because they intended to troll alive. 

The sock problem takes care of itself if you just mute them.  I've said this repeatedly.  I've ignored the unhinged posters on here and it's made things much more pleasant.

People troll to get a response.  I've only mass up voted people when I think they are getting picked on.

Edited by udaydanceparty
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, udaydanceparty said:

The sock problem takes care of itself if you just mute them.  I've said this repeatedly.  I've ignored the unhinged posters on here and it's made things much more pleasant.

Uh, you obviously haven't ignored them considering you have to see their posts to rep them.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Uh, you obviously haven't ignored them considering you have to see their posts to rep them.

Maybe I am missing something but when I block someone and they get banned, when they come back in 15 minutes their new screen name is not blocked.  I'm not spending all day on this board so I will admit I'm ignorant about how that works.  I also don't follow posters from board to board trying to figure out if I agree with them on every topic or what they said in X thread.

And yes.. I've definitely blocked some unhinged individuals. 

If you want to keep running in circles, by all means, keep doing it.  I believe my way is much less stressful though.

Edited by udaydanceparty
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

You are missing the point. There were known and admitted trolls violating the rules of the board. Registered multiple usernames specifically to troll. Other posters were negging their posts so they could no longer post.

You were trying to keep them alive because instead of thinking you just reflexively assumed that they were being negged for their political positions versus the reality that they were being negged for being trolls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

But every human being can do illegal things.  Would you prefer the term criminal immigrant?  How about lawbreaking immigrant?  Trespassing immigrant?  When they cross the border somewhere other than a port of entry they have to be on someone's private land at some time.  I'm doubting they called the land owner ahead of time to get permission.

Open Borders + Universal Income and Free Health Care, what could go wrong?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You are missing the point. There were known and admitted trolls violating the rules of the board. Registered multiple usernames specifically to troll. Other posters were negging their posts so they could no longer post.

You were trying to keep them alive because instead of thinking you just reflexively assumed that they were being negged for their political positions versus the reality that they were being negged for being trolls.

It's kind of hard to tell why people are actually getting negged.  I've been negged 3 times in this discussion by Horn Under a Bad Sign for engaging in this discussion with you.  I am sure it has everything to do with the content of each of my posts right?

Also.. if someone is trolling, negging them doesn't fix the problem.  They just come back even more determined.

3 minutes ago, udaydanceparty said:

San Fran is giving non-citizens the right to vote...

In local school elections. It's not like Chuy from Guanajato is swimming the Rio, beelining to SF, and getting his "Nancy Pelosi says I can vote as often as I want in all elections, local state and national" card. 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Open Borders + Universal Income and Free Health Care, what could go wrong?

there is no such thing as open borders.  it doesn't exist anywhere, not even in the figment of someone's mind.  it's not a thing.  but damn of that doesn't keep the rightwingers from spewing the phrase out of their mouth every 5 minutes.  there's not a day you don't hear a republican or a talking head on conservative news say the phrase.  it's more fearmongering from the right.  as expected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

there is no such thing as open borders.  it doesn't exist anywhere, not even in the figment of someone's mind.  it's not a thing.  but damn of that doesn't keep the rightwingers from spewing the phrase out of their mouth every 5 minutes.  there's not a day you don't hear a republican or a talking head on conservative news say the phrase.  it's more fearmongering from the right.  as expected.

but all Republicans are NAZI's.  That much is clear.  

• Like 2

Just now, Incredulity said:

That's four consecutive posts where you are unable to even attempt to provide support for your claim. The only reasonable conclusion is that you're unable to provide support for it.

Which is funny, because I know of someone who supports open borders. You just spew whatever bogeyman you were told to fear without even understanding it.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

no, nobody thinks that either.  paranoid much.  but what many americans think, because you continue to reinforce it every day, is that republicans are dishonest.  there is a credibility gap.  you scream fake news! every time something comes out that doesn't fit neatly between your blinders.  you scream down with science! for the same reasons.  shame on you.  

so again, back to the point, you have never heard one single democrat utter the phrase "what we need is open borders" or campaign on "open borders" or criticize trump because he is against "open borders".  its not a thing.  its never been said except by the right.  you are the only ones saying it.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's four consecutive posts where you are unable to even attempt to provide support for your claim. The only reasonable conclusion is that you're unable to provide support for it.

Which is funny, because I know of someone who supports open borders. You just spew whatever bogeyman you were told to fear without even understanding it.

He said "literally no ONE is calling for open borders".

Then he parsed it to "name a politican", I responded tongue in cheek.  

But yeah, NO ONE is calling for open borders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

250k anchor babies each year disagree. 10% of our population is illegal. Cities refusing to comply with immigration enforcement, police not allowed to verify citizenship. Catch and release. Bring a child, here’s your get out of jail free card etc etc etc. 

you can play the word game all you like but zero ability to enforce our own laws IS open borders. 

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So full of shit. Your idea of Amnesty for anyone who asks is “open borders”

your quote: “are you a criminal?  Amnesty granted!”

your words

I never said that.

I said that we should accept and quickly naturalize "non-criminals". That was my actual word. The opposite of criminal.

How full of cobwebs and worms is your brain that you genuinely thought I was happy to let criminals in? lol

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

250k anchor babies each year disagree. 10% of our population is illegal. Cities refusing to comply with immigration enforcement, police not allowed to verify citizenship. Catch and release. Bring a child, here’s your get out of jail free card etc etc etc. 

you can play the word game all you like but zero ability to enforce our own laws IS open borders. 

tell the 100,000 border patrol staff working 24/7 plus overtime that we have open borders.  tell the 100,000 detainees we have open borders.  tell the people in mexico that are paying coyotes 10,000 to save their money because we have open borders.  you can play the word game all you like but you know damn well we don't have open borders.

sounds like both you and incredulous are now in agreement.  if any of us hears the phrase open borders it is a 100% guaranteed fact that it's being muttered by a conservative.  they are the only ones saying that stupid phrase. 

51 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No, it isn't. There is plenty of enforcement. Once someone is here, though, they have constitutional rights. That poses a problem when it comes to rounding people up and sending them home.

There is a revolution approaching that will change the way humanity interacts with each other and the planet, much in the same way that the industrial revolution did in the late 19th century. I dont know when exactly it will arrive, but it will. It will be the revolution of post-scarcity wherein the aspects that can become automated will become automated. We are already seeing some of the lesser roles in society being automated today, and that's a good thing. Instead of some man or woman going and working a dead end job and having no retirement to speak of and nothing substantial in their life, automated devices designed to perform whatever task will do them for them and society will be able to collect the revenue. Obviously, not everything will be able to be automated, like doctors and teachers and stuff... However, this automation will generate a massive amount of income that can be used to fund things like a universal basic income, pay for health care, and to go to a university or trade school. So the average citizen could then focus on getting an advanced education and our entire society will grow. This doesn't mean that people will just sit at home and choose to do nothing; sure some of them may choose to do that. But that gets fucking boring real fast. There's no adventure in that. There's no challenge in it. So don't push back against the coming age of post-scarcity. When I see someone with a nice house, a nice car, and more money than they know what to do with, I dont think to myself, "No one should have that much." Instead, I think to myself, "Everyone should have that much."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Don't watch it. And you have your head in the sand if you don't think there are people who want more open borders.  Hell, people right here have advocated for it in the past.

It's amazing to me how many people don't watch the most popular news network yet have every one of their talking points down.  Reminds me of how Gary Johnson got all the votes yet somehow Trump won the election.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

It's amazing to me how many people don't watch the most popular news network yet have every one of their talking points down.  Reminds me of how Gary Johnson got all the votes yet somehow Trump won the election.

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeah you must be easily amused  then.  Don't watch it, but don't let that get in the way of  calling me a liar. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I am very aware of this phenomenon.  They might not watch Fox News but they have people in their social and business circles they respect that spout the talking points to them in discussions.  Then...

NewWeightyAtlanticspadefish-size_restric

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

There is a revolution approaching that will change the way humanity interacts with each other and the planet, much in the same way that the industrial revolution did in the late 19th century. I dont know when exactly it will arrive, but it will. It will be the revolution of post-scarcity wherein the aspects that can become automated will become automated. We are already seeing some of the lesser roles in society being automated today, and that's a good thing. Instead of some man or woman going and working a dead end job and having no retirement to speak of and nothing substantial in their life, automated devices designed to perform whatever task will do them for them and society will be able to collect the revenue. Obviously, not everything will be able to be automated, like doctors and teachers and stuff... However, this automation will generate a massive amount of income that can be used to fund things like a universal basic income, pay for health care, and to go to a university or trade school. So the average citizen could then focus on getting an advanced education and our entire society will grow. This doesn't mean that people will just sit at home and choose to do nothing; sure some of them may choose to do that. But that gets fucking boring real fast. There's no adventure in that. There's no challenge in it. So don't push back against the coming age of post-scarcity. When I see someone with a nice house, a nice car, and more money than they know what to do with, I dont think to myself, "No one should have that much." Instead, I think to myself, "Everyone should have that much."

Those dead end jobs are supposed to be entry level.  Go ahead and celebrate the eradication of such...and the incentive to ‘do more.’

I guess productivity and thus, incomes, will be automated as well?

Edited by slorch

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Those dead end jobs are supposed to be entry level.  Go ahead and celebrate the eradication of such...and the incentive to ‘do more.’

I guess productivity and thus, incomes, will be automated as well?

Education and advancement of each individuals life toward whatever life goal or pursuit they wish will ultimately be the incentive to do more.

To give an example of how industries change as technology changes, historically we needed to cut down trees to make paper among other things. With the advent and proliferation of tablets, the need to actually print everything on paper is no longer necessary for purposes of necessity; it will probably (and hopefully never) go away completely. Now, it takes a pretty high skill set to build, maintain, and repair tablets. Skilled labor (technologists in this example) is in far more demand and always will be versus unskilled labor (factory workers in a paper mill). This is analogous to how advancing society and allowing everyone to get a better education can enable better prospects for finding better employment opportunities and potentiality for happier, more fulfilled lives.

But its not just limited to people who may become skilled laborers. It provides the opportunity for people to have the ability to take the risk of being an artist or trying to invent something and knowing they might fail. Sure they might fail, but they might succeed too. The difference is that because if they don't have a safety net to fall back on if they do fall back on, they may not take the risk because they don't even know where their next meal might come from or how to pay for a place to live. But with the safety net in place, they don't need to worry about where their next meal is going to come from, so they can take the risk and see what happens and pour themselves into their passion. That is how our society will be enriched, by the artisans and inventors and people who seek their passion and share it with others. Not by trying to make ends meet in a job they hate in a life they can't escape while dreaming about being able to buy things they'll never be able to afford. In order to achieve this though, we need to find a way to reach the age of post-scarcity as fast as possible for the entire world, not just the US.

56 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I am very aware of this phenomenon.  They might not watch Fox News but they have people in their social and business circles they respect that spout the talking points to them in discussions.  Then...

NewWeightyAtlanticspadefish-size_restric

Counterpoint:

When you brand everyone who doesn't fall in lockstep with the Libtard thinking DuJour a "Fox News Bigot" you are going to experience the above "phenomenon".

• Like 1

I support a limited, defined safety net.  I don’t support paying someone to sit on their ass while thinking of something to draw or paint or be a perpetual student.

Find a vocation to drive your creativity.  A little strife goes a long way on that front as well.