Socks & Trolls: The CR Thread

MaybeACoordinator

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I frequently post conservative points of view on Surly. The problem is that you don't know what conservative means.

Hahahaha.

Never stop being you, bro.

Sure, you have posted conservative thoughts.  However, you are neither a conservative nor centrist poster.  Your denial, and that of others, of such is part of the problem with this forum.

5 minutes ago, seven said:

Imagine being such a whiny little bitch that someone challenging your opinion scares you away from posting about politics so you instead seek to ban them from challenging you. 

Agreed.

The discussion needs to happen.  That’s the good stuff.

I will admit DD is the sole poster on my ignore list.  Insufferable.

Edited by slorch

The party who controls the Presidency always feels like they’re in the minority on this board because most threads rail against whoever is in power.

Progressives complained Shaggy was a conservative board, because of all the Obama bashing. Of course, if you went back to its first year+, it was full of criticism of Bush. Rinse, repeat.

Bernorange’s poll for people to identify themselves politically showed similar splits year over year. And I’m confident it’s the same now. But the 1) tendency to bitch about the other guy combined with 2) a perpetual victimhood complex by the the recipients of that leads to a perception problem.

It might seem more skewed now than before because...I mean, come on. Donald Trump. Seriously?

But if Surly sticks around long enough, a few years from now all the progressives will be complaining about the board being dominated by racist, fascist, nazis or whatever.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hahahaha.

Sure, you have posted conservative thoughts.  However, you are neither a conservative nor centrist poster.  Your denial, and that of others, of such is part of the problem with this forum.

And meanwhile, B_T and others are blasting Huck and others (on the Trump thread) for being "centrists" and conservative.

This place is hilarious.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

And meanwhile, B_T and others are blasting Huck and others (on the Trump thread) for being "centrists" and conservative.

This place is hilarious.

Well in slorchland, unless you absolutely despite the poor, all minorities and all Muslims, you're a liberal.

32 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hahahaha.

Point out my liberal posts. Alternatively, simply explain what you think are my liberal ideas.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Oh damn...burn on the internet.

You are sooooo right.  Conservative POVs are embraced on Surly.  That’s why there are so many posters willing to share them...

You can pretty much guarantee 4 or 5 posters will neg you if you post in any of their threads.

• Like 1

I dont have a problem with conservatives or liberals. I have a problem with views that are hateful and destructive to the values of our Constitution.

As an example: over on the thread about religion declining, I wholeheartedly disagree with religion institutions and believe they use the premise of faith to brainwash their followers from thinking for themselves so they are unable to accurately seek an objective pathway to truth. However, despite my disagreements with any religious institution or what anyone believes I will always respect everyone's right to their own beliefs and if necessary fight to defend anyone's right to the freedom of their own religion and beliefs if they come under attack.

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Interesting. @slorch was on the thread liking multiple posts just now but didn't find the time to reply to my post.

Got anything yet?

You were so receptive of my feedback  and call outs of favoritism  when you said you could be an objective moderator on the shag, I am sure you would be more willing to be convinced at this time, right?

On 7/17/2018 at 6:32 AM, slorch said:

Tom asked  for an explanation of the absence of conservative posters. I told you things that are frustrating to me. To the point in my post, if I felt threatened or overwhelmed, I wouldn’t fucking be here. The bottom line is, there is bullying and idiots that  shout down people who have an opposing view point. People Neg on here just for having a  different point of view, not because the post is offensive or targeting somebody. 

If you want to deny the reasons, that’s your own prerogative. You’re obviously not interested in the answer to his question. 

Again, if opposing POVs scared me, I wouldn’t constantly engage in the discussion, right?  IMHO, that is the actual appeal of CR/ politics.  I do want to know what others think.

There are more than a few posters on this board who think that any post that doesn't agree with them is offensive.  I don't go a day on this board without having a dozen posters disagree with me on something.  If I've negged any of them for it they must have been using an extraordinary special kind of stupid.  I've been on this board and its predecessor for six or seven years now.  I could count the number of times I've negged somebody on one hand.  To cherry pick John Melloncamp lyrics, there are no free rides no one said it'd be easy suck it up and tough it out.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

You were so receptive of my feedback  and call outs of favoritism  when you said you could be an objective moderator on the shag, I am sure you would be more willing to be convinced at this time, right?

Keep trying, slorch. This is your standard play, lob an accusation with exactly zero supporting evidence and hope nobody notices. Well the problem is that everyone notices.

Go ahead, I'll keep asking.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Point out my liberal posts. Alternatively, simply explain what you think are my liberal ideas.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Keep trying, slorch. This is your standard play, lob an accusation with exactly zero supporting evidence and hope nobody notices. Well the problem is that everyone notices.

Well, that is Standard Operating Procedure of damn near everyone in the Cloak Room.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So you refuse to acknowledge it in the past, so I should expect a different response this time? Double super promise to be good? 

Fuck you and Your fools errand.

Edited by slorch

The real reason is you can't do it. I've given you an out where you don't even have to find an actual post but merely point out what my liberal ideas are. You still can't do it. All the hand waving isn't tricking anyone, slorch. Try again.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Quote?  If not shut your cunt mouth. 

Ban these fucks already

On 5/1/2018 at 5:57 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

As we have seen with the "caravan" in the news.....most illegal immigrants feel it is their god given right to break the law and cross the border.  They openly flaunt breaking our laws and dare our president to stop them.

We are not a county without laws and borders.

That's a little racist.

I'm likely in the minority on this view, but I don't really give a damn who is or is not a troll.  To add to this, I do not care that Russia tried to influence US elections.  We should just assume that every group in the world that has the means is going to try to influence US elections.  If our republic is so fragile that all it takes is some college grads with computers in a shithole country to divide us, then we aren't going to last anyway.  Regardless, American PR machines have 1000x times the power & influence within the US compared to the Russians.  The dominant influence on the average US citizen (and the corresponding division among us) is from our own PR machines.  Comparing US PR machines to Russian ones is like comparing soldiers with M16s to teenagers with air guns. 

24 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I'm likely in the minority on this view, but I don't really give a damn who is or is not a troll.  To add to this, I do not care that Russia tried to influence US elections.  We should just assume that every group in the world that has the means is going to try to influence US elections.  If our republic is so fragile that all it takes is some college grads with computers in a shithole country to divide us, then we aren't going to last anyway.  Regardless, American PR machines have 1000x times the power & influence within the US compared to the Russians.  The dominant influence on the average US citizen (and the corresponding division among us) is from our own PR machines.  Comparing US PR machines to Russian ones is like comparing soldiers with M16s to teenagers with air guns. 

Interesting point but what if Russia is coopting our own PR machines? Like Fox News, which is very, very effective. I think before all is said and done, there will be a connection established between Murdoch and Putin. 

38 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

interesting take.  you sound bitter and unhappy.  and un-american.

3 hours ago, VRHorn said:

This place is hilarious.

Eventually the left will eat their own in here   It’s already happening. Just enjoy the social experiment 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Interesting point but what if Russia is coopting our own PR machines? Like Fox News, which is very, very effective. I think before all is said and done, there will be a connection established between Murdoch and Putin. 

I think we give the Russians far too much credit.  In terms of coordination, amount of resources, methods, production quality, willingness and ability to manipulate, domestic & global reach, and every other factor that is relevant to influence and manipulate public opinion, we are far superior to the Russians across the board.  Would you go to a Russian advertising agency to create advertisements for the American public?  The fact is that Russian media does not even come close to ours in terms of sophistication, tactics, or production quality.  Even if we limit to just the internet,  have you ever seen a Russian troll be very effective or convincing?  Have you seen them effectively influence a group or are they more or less pretty pathetic and non-convincing?  Now compare them to American based astroturfers and influencers; they are more difficult to spot and far more effective overall.  

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Aphelion said:

I think we give the Russians far too much credit.  In terms of coordination, amount of resources, methods, production quality, willingness and ability to manipulate, domestic & global reach, and every other factor that is relevant to influence and manipulate public opinion, we are far superior to the Russians across the board.  Would you go to a Russian advertising agency to create advertisements for the American public?  The fact is that Russian media does not even come close to ours in terms of sophistication, tactics, or production quality.  To give an example, when some poster on this or any other forum is identified as a Russian troll, are they ever very effective or convincing?  Have you seen them effectively influence a group or are they more or less pretty pathetic and non-convincing?  Now compare them to American based astroturfers and influencers; they are more difficult to spot and far more effective overall.  

Which is why they would go to Fox News and say "Can you help me with this?" (aggy reference fully intended)

34 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If Putin is the mastermind you are making him out to be, you wouldn't be seeing it all figured out by the 6 degrees of Putin crowd.

The reality is that both states and private special interests have always exerted their influence on our media.  It's usually not a controlling relationship but rather a situation where they share common goals.  

Republicans/Fox/Russia  having favorable opinions of Trump.  While Democrats/CNN/Iran/China much preferred Clinton.  Even within the EU, you have different countries having a different preference.  Italy/Poland prefer Trump in general.  France/Germany preferred Clinton.  Britain is pretty much split based on #Brexit lines.

Everyone has different reasons for having their preference and it doesn't mean that there is some grand conspiracy.  Putin flat out said he didn't want Clinton because he was worried it would hurt relations.  Well if his goal was to improve relations, I think his master plan failed miserably.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I think we give the Russians far too much credit.  In terms of coordination, amount of resources, methods, production quality, willingness and ability to manipulate, domestic & global reach, and every other factor that is relevant to influence and manipulate public opinion, we are far superior to the Russians across the board.  Would you go to a Russian advertising agency to create advertisements for the American public?  The fact is that Russian media does not even come close to ours in terms of sophistication, tactics, or production quality.  Even if we limit to just the internet,  have you ever seen a Russian troll be very effective or convincing?  Have you seen them effectively influence a group or are they more or less pretty pathetic and non-convincing?  Now compare them to American based astroturfers and influencers; they are more difficult to spot and far more effective overall.  

I think it's much more likely that the troll farms were private parties in Russia acting in their own self interest.  That's why they weren't concerned with covering their tracks.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Which is why they would go to Fox News and say "Can you help me with this?" (aggy reference fully intended)

Let's just assume that this is happening - they still would only have minimum effect compared to our own domestic power structures and PR machines.  They just don't have the resources and they do not control the necessary media filters.  What the American public sees is almost entirely controlled by Americans and there is no close 2nd place.  This is somewhat true across the globe; our media is far more influential in other countries than the other way around.  

I'm more optimistic than some others on this board as I do not believe we are heading for a civil war or dissolution of the union, but if those things do happen then it will be because we tore ourselves apart and not because of foreign influence.  

4 hours ago, seven said:

ChickenSandwich, right above you 

says yet another fucking sock; just choose one and own it.  Don't need to ban all of your shitty opinions, just your cheer-leading squad of socks.  It's redundant.  The next time Seven adds more than a sentence to the conversation may be a first.  Save some of your material for all of your socks.  Spread it around as to not make it so obvious.

• Like 1

Would you two idiots cut it out? slorch and I are trying to be the stupid argument between two people on this thread. Get your own thread.

Also, slorch:

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's pretty instructive to look at reputation points.  Look at the poster UDayDanceParty's reputation. 

The poster "Annie"  gave the poster UDayDanceParty five upvotes in two minutes time on four different boards on Monday, from 9:43 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.  I suppose it's possible that Annie just thinks that UdayDanceParty is brilliant beyond belief, but my guess is that they are the same person.  Then Annie was banned from the board.   

Look at Clob94's reputation.  The poster UdayDanceParty has given  Clob94  11 upvotes in the past 11 hours, oftentimes within a minute or two after Clob94 posted.   Again, UDayDanceParty may think that Clob94 is the most brilliant poster ever.  But my guess is that the only reason UDayDanceParty is giving Clob94 upvotes is to inoculate Clob94 against downvotes.  

I wish there was some way to stop the bullshit. One way might be to make it so that, if somebody gets banned by the board, all their upvotes get removed from people's reputation points. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

There is not one damn thing racist about that post.  If illegal immigrants were concerned about not breaking the law they would not be illegal immigrants.

I was about to not be swayed by your post, and then I saw the bold font...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seven said:

Seek help, you're unhinged 

Fuck yo sock. S ek another message board to shit on comrade. 

One sentence lol. It’s your mental capacity. Fuck off comrade cunt 

im still waiting on you to quote my racist post. You can’t. That’s why you cry Nazi when your cunt ass get called on their shit. I feel sorry for your mother. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Fuck yo sock. S ek another message board to shit on comrade. 

Mine sentence lol. It’s your mental capacity. Fuck off comrade cunt 

im still waiting on you to quote my racist post. You can’t. That’s why you cry Nazi when your cunt ass get called on their shit. I feel sorry for your mother. 

Is this the result of a stroke? 

12 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No human being is illegal 

But every human being can do illegal things.  Would you prefer the term criminal immigrant?  How about lawbreaking immigrant?  Trespassing immigrant?  When they cross the border somewhere other than a port of entry they have to be on someone's private land at some time.  I'm doubting they called the land owner ahead of time to get permission.

• Like 1