2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

What I’ve been saying!

Against us in NOLA, he was placing the ball in his WRs’ hands with a precision that most NFL QBs will never experience in their lives. 

He also had 5X the pocket awareness and sidestepping ability that one Quinn Ewers has ever shown. Yes, the same Quinn Ewers who some people think will go 1.1.

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Penix is always injured despite never scrambling. He doesn’t use his athleticism 

Wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Wrong.

No, he doesn’t scramble and he’s always injured

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:
13 hours ago, The Dog said:

What I’ve been saying!

Against us in NOLA, he was placing the ball in his WRs’ hands with a precision that most NFL QBs will never experience in their lives. 

He also had 5X the pocket awareness and sidestepping ability that one Quinn Ewers has ever shown. Yes, the same Quinn Ewers who some people think w

NFL teams watch more than one game of prospects 

• Hook 'Em 2

Old article 3 months ago, but interesting...

2024 NFL Draft: The Strongest, Deepest, and Weakest Positions

A look at how each group stacks up in what, overall, is one of the strongest draft classes in recent memory...      Michael Renner

Malik Nabers (left) and Jayden Daniels are two reasons teams in need of passing-game talent should feel good this spring. 

image.png.47e1cfdd94d7893e1d4c2daf3d89576d.png

Most teams go into the draft with glaring needs, but that doesn’t mean there’s always a prospect waiting for them that can immediately fill it. Every class has positions that are deeper than others, and that is the case — strikingly so — with the 2024 draft. The top-four positions on this list are incredibly deep and some of the better classes in recent memory, while the last position on this list may be the worst crop at that position I’ve seen in my almost decade of draft analysis. 

1. Quarterback 

Top-10 Grades: 2

Top-50 Grades: 6

Top-100 Grades: 8

While the 2024 quarterback class may not have the top-end talent we saw in 2021 when quarterbacks went 1-2-3 in the draft, it runs laps around any class in recent memory with its depth. The sheer amount of talent that could be available is astounding. I put “could” in italics there because there’s a number of underclassmen with big decisions to make still. While the likes of LSU’s Jayden Daniels, Oregon’s Bo Nix, and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. — three of the top-50 grades listed above — are out of eligibility, other potential top picks like Colorado’s Shedeur Sanders, Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy, and Texas’ Quinn Ewers have a big decision still on their hands. 

Even if none of those three declare, it will still be a special class because of the top-2. USC’s Caleb Williams and North Carolina’s Drake Maye are going 1-2 in some order — that’s all but set in stone at this point. And as I wrote before the season, which I still believe in now, you can’t go wrong with either. 

2. Wide Receiver

Top-50 Grades: 9

Top-100 Grades: 13

Heading into the season I thought the 2024 class of receivers would be better than the 2023 class, but this year’s group has become a different animal altogether. We could legitimately see this class challenge the record for most receivers taken in the first round (seven, in 2004). Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., LSU’s Malik Nabers, Florida State’s Keon Coleman, and Washington’s Rome Odunze are all stone-cold locks at this point. LSU’s Brian Thomas Jr., Ohio State’s Emeka Egbuka and South Carolina’s Xavier Legette, along with the Texas duo of Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell, all have a shot of hearing their name called on the first day of the draft as well. 

Unlike a year ago, there’s no shortage of different body types and skillsets at the position either. I’d categorize the top options in the class is as follows:

X-Receivers (Big-Bodied No. 1’s)

Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State

Keon Coleman, Florida State

Rome Odunze, Washington

Xavier Legette, South Carolina

Adonai Mitchell, Texas

Vertical Threats (Movable Speedsters)

Malik Nabers, LSU

Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

Xavier Worthy, Texas

Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Troy Franklin, Oregon

Y-Receivers (Savvy No. 2’s)

Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State

Ja’Lynn Polk, Washington

Roman Wilson, Michigan

The one position where there’s, arguably, few if any high-end options is pure slot receivers like we saw a year ago. I’m sure NFL teams won’t be complaining about that given the preponderance of talent elsewhere.

3. Offensive Tackle

Top-50 Grades: 7

Top-100 Grades: 9

While the depth of the offensive tackle class may not be anything to write home about, the top-end talent in the class is the best we’ve seen since 2020 when Andrew Thomas (pick 4), Jedrick Wills (pick 10), Mekhi Becton (pick 11), and Tristan Wirfs (pick 13) all came off the board in the first 13 picks. I’d bet good money right now that Penn State’s Olu Fashanu, Notre Dame’s Joe Alt, and Alabama’s J.C. Latham will all be off the board by the time pick 13 rolls around next April. It may not stop there either; Georgia’s Amarius Mims, Oregon State’s Taliese Fuaga, and Oklahoma’s Tyler Guyton all have the kind of physical profile to go that high as well should a team fall in love. Seven top-50 grades at tackle is a sight for sore eyes for a lot of teams around the NFL.

4. Cornerback

Top-10 Grades: 0

Top-50 Grades: 8

There may not be a Derek Stingley, Sauce Gardner, or Devon Witherspoon-level prospect in this draft class, but the depth is top-notch. I fully expect the second round of this year’s class to be a hotbed of cornerbacks flying off the board. That being said, four guys look to have secured themselves a spot in the first round already: Clemson’s Nate Wiggins, Iowa’s Cooper Dejean, and the Alabama duo of Kool-Aid McKinstry and Terrion Arnold look like top-32 picks should the four third-year players declare. I’d categorize the top of the cornerback class as follows:

Man-Outside Corners

Nate Wiggins, Clemson

Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama

Kalen King, Penn State

Josh Newton, TCU

Denzel Burke, Ohio State

Zone-Outside Corners

Cooper Dejean, Iowa

Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo

T.J. Tampa, Iowa State

Kamari Lassiter, Georgia

Slot/Hybrids

Terrion Arnold, Alabama

Mike Sainristill, Michigan

Kris Abrams-Draine, Missouri

The man vs. zone categorization isn’t a hard and fast distinction — it’s simply the direction in which their skillset trends. All the prospects in the outside corner buckets are more than talented enough to be scheme-versatile. 

5. Interior Offensive Line

Top-50 Grades: 1

We may not see a single first-round interior offensive lineman in 2024, but that doesn’t mean there’s not an abundance of starters to be had. There’s brutish guards like Kansas State’s Cooper Beebe, athletic guards like Connecticut’s Christian Haynes, brutish centers like Oregon’s Jackson Powers-Johnson, and athletic centers like West Virginia’s Zach Frazier. 

As is the case with most years, some of the best interior offensive line prospects were tackles this season. Duke’s Graham Barton and Washington’s Troy Fautanu could easily be the first two “interior” offensive linemen taken even though they’ve been left tackles the past three seasons.

Sadly, Michigan’s Zak Zinter would have challenged prior to his tib-fib fracture suffered against Ohio State. Now, it’s not clear where his draft stock lies after suffering one of the more catastrophic injuries you’ll see on a football field.

6. Linebacker

Top-50 Grades: 3

The one thing this linebacker class has that makes me a bigger fan than the raw numbers above might suggest: size. After the past few years where seemingly each class was smaller than the one before it, that's a welcome sight for evaluators — as much as speed is at a premium in the NFL, size still very much matters. Especially with the need to play the run from light boxes. 

N.C. State’s Payton Wilson, Oklahoma’s Danny Stutsman, Michigan’s Junior Colson, Notre Dame’s Marist Lifuau, Kentucky’s Trevin Wallace, Ohio State’s Tommy Eichenberg, and Georgia’s Jamon Dumas-Johnson are all possible top-100 picks who should tip the scales in the 240-plus pound range. The crown jewels of the class, however, are still the trim speedsters. Both Clemson’s Barrett Carter and Texas A&M’s Edgerrin Cooper will check in around 230 pounds at the combine. They may not be stack-shed run defenders, yet they’re likely to be the first two linebackers selected in April because they both move like defensive backs. 

7. Edge

Top-100 Grades: 10

There’s immediate-impact pass-rushers to be had in this class, but be forewarned they’ll likely go quickly. That’s because the depth in this year’s class is fairly sparse compared to years past. Alabama’s Dallas Turner, along with UCLA’s Laiatu Latu, are the two top-10 grades noted above and I wouldn’t be surprised if others join them in actually getting selected there next spring. There won’t be many great options to fill that pass-rushing need on Day 2 so you may see Penn State’s Chop Robinson and Florida State’s Jared Verse come off the board early as well.

8. Defensive Tackle

We are eight positions in and still haven’t had a class I’d describe as below-average. Though the only defensive tackle prospect I’d call a lock for the first round is Illinois’ Johnny Newton — although Texas nose tackle T’Vondre Sweat could make his way into that mix. After that the top-100 grades in the class tend more toward the third round than the second round. The one thing this class has a preponderance of is 3-techniques. Along with Newton you have Ohio State’s Michael Hall Jr., Oregon's Brandon Dorlus, Michigan’s Kris Jenkins, Texas’ Byron Murphy, and Notre Dame’s Howard Cross, who are all made to be penetrating 3-techs at the next level.

9. Safety

Top-50 Grades: 2

Top-100 Grades: 5

Even though I have a fair amount of high grades in this safety class there’s a distinct lack of depth. Truthfully, you want one of either Miami’s Kam Kinchens, Minnesota’s Tyler Nubin, Georgia’s Javon Bullard, USC’s Calen Bullock, or Michigan’s Rod Moore. After those five it may be difficult to find a starter. 

10. Tight End

Top-10 Grades: 1

Georgia’s Brock Bowers is going to be a first-rounder and more likely than not a top-15 pick. After that, though, it might be a while before the next tight end comes off the board. There’s nowhere near the amount of sure-fire starters we saw come out in 2023. It may be even weaker depending on who declares in the coming month; Ja’Tavion Sanders of Texas is one of the top-100 grades listed above yet he’s only a true junior. Florida State’s Johnny Wilson has another year of eligibility and may not declare after a down season. Even if he does, it’s no sure thing that the 6-foot-7, 239 pound behemoth will want to switch from wide receiver to tight end. If that’s the case, there may only be one rookie starter in the entire class. 

11. Running Back

Top-50 Grades: 0

Top-100 Grades: 4

I’ve been analyzing prospects full-time since the 2015 draft. Depending on who declares, there’s a good chance this ends up as the worst running back class I’ve seen over that span. If there’s one thing it doesn’t lack, however, it’s size. Wisconsin’s Braelon Allen is the headliner in that regard. The 6-foot-2, 245 pound true junior already declared for the draft and at only 19-years old still is in play to be the first running back off the board in April. That may not be until late in the second round or even in the third, however. Notre Dame’s Audric Estime (5-11, 227), Michigan’s Blake Corum (5-8, 213), and Florida State’s Trey Benson (6-1, 221) are all rocked-up power backs that could also end up in the day-two mix.

Just now, Fud said:

How many total games has he missed in college ball?

He missed a lot early on in his career. That's a fact.

However, 

IT'S BEEN THREE FUCKING YEARS.

He's started 28 consecutive games since. 

Someone compared his career to Frank Gore - who tore both ACLs at Miami, was drafted in the 3rd round, then went on to rush for 16,000 yards and will be likely elected into the hall of fame once eligible (2026). 

I really wish he really was "always injured" because then he wouldn't have torched our asses two years in a row!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, The Dog said:

He missed a lot early on in his career. That's a fact.

However, 

IT'S BEEN THREE FUCKING YEARS.

He's started 28 consecutive games since. 

Someone compared his career to Frank Gore - who tore both ACLs at Miami, was drafted in the 3rd round, then went on to rush for 16,000 yards and will be likely elected into the hall of fame once eligible (2026). 

I really wish he really was "always injured" because then he wouldn't have torched our asses two years in a row!

It’s been two seasons, not three, and he played banged up this year 

My point is his 40 time doesn’t matter because he doesn’t use it, probably because he’d get hurt if he did 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

It’s been two seasons, not three, and he played banged up this year 

My point is his 40 time doesn’t matter because he doesn’t use it, probably because he’d get hurt if he did 

No argument on the 40. 

the guys people should worry about getting injured are Daniels and McCarthy because they are freaking twigs.

Just now, The Dog said:

No argument on the 40. 

the guys people should worry about getting injured are Daniels and McCarthy because they are freaking twigs.

And the guy who’s been injured a lot

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Shorter version...  2024 NFL Draft: The Strongest, Deepest, and Weakest Positions

1. Quarterback 

Top-50 Grades: 6

2. Wide Receiver

Top-50 Grades: 9

3. Offensive Tackle

Top-50 Grades: 7

4. Cornerback

5. Interior Offensive Line

6. Linebacker

7. Edge

Top-100 Grades: 10

8. Defensive Tackle

9. Safety

Top-50 Grades: 2

10. Tight End

Top-10 Grades: 1

11. Running Back

Top-50 Grades: 0

Top-100 Grades: 4

32 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Either I can’t add or you’re missing a top 10 P/K and 2 in the top 50.

That list is somewhat worthless. It was made before underclassmen declared, any all star games were played, the combine took place and any individual workouts occurred. 

More recent...

2024 NFL Draft: Strongest position group? Weakest?

Mar 25, 2024 Lance Zierlein Draft Analyst

2024 NFL Draft -- Which position group in the 2024 NFL Draft is the strongest? The weakest?

Everyone loves a highly touted quarterback class. Quarterbacks bring hope to QB-needy squads and provide intrigue for all of us as teams look to find their future face of the franchise. Folks, I can confirm we have a very impressive quarterback class in 2024.

Now, what good is a strong quarterback draft if we don't have players to protect the passers and talented targets for them to throw to? Well, this year's draft has a lot to offer in those categories, as well. Don't we need a draft deep with pass rushers who can disrupt quarterbacks around the league? I have good news on that front: The 2024 draft has those players, too.

Before we dive into my ranking of the 11 position groups in this year's draft, it's important for you to understand the criteria I used. In assessing each position, I identified star-caliber players, future starters and overall depth. Generally speaking, I concentrated on prospects who are most likely to be drafted in Rounds 1 through 5. I weighed star players and future starters twice as heavily as overall depth and my ranking scale ranged from 10 to 30 points. Here is how I stack the position groups, from strongest to weakest.

1) Offensive tackle (26 points)

Aside from quarterback, offensive tackle is at the very top of the list as it pertains to issues with supply and demand. The position will likely be overdrafted due to demand, but this season's crop of tackles is strong both in high-end talent and depth when it comes to future quality starters. Teams' draft boards will vary, as there are several flavors of tackle to choose from, but we should see at least seven tackles picked in the first round with starters still to be found on Day 2 and quality depth lasting into the fifth round.

2) Wide receiver (24.5 points)

The top of the class -- Marvin Harrison Jr., Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze -- offers star-power potential, but many teams are excited about the impressive collection of future starters that could still be available on Day 2, including Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson, Malachi Corley, Xavier Legette, Troy Franklin and Ricky Pearsall. Day 3 will feature some prospects that still need polishing, but the starting-caliber players teams can choose from inside the top 100 picks are driving this hype train.

3) Quarterback (22.5 points)

Quarterbacks went back-to-back-to-back to start the draft in 2021, 1999 and 1971, but we've never seen quarterbacks chosen with each of the first four picks in the draft. We last saw four QBs picked in the top 10 in 2018. I expect we'll see four passers go in the top 10 again this year, and we might even see four selected within the first four picks. The draft is heavier on potential star power than usual (SEE: Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, J.J. McCarthy) but there are also potential starters in Bo Nix and Michael Penix Jr. While there will be good depth within the first 50 picks, the pickings should get fairly slim for teams looking for a quality backup or developmental talent beyond the second round.

4) Edge defender (22 points)

This group has legitimate potential star power with Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Laiatu Latu and Chop Robinson all offering distinct traits and talents for evaluators to prioritize. However, the edge rusher class is a little lighter when shifting to the future starter category beyond the "big four." I'm a fan of Austin Booker as an inexperienced wild card, while other draft analysts might favor Marshawn Kneeland or Adisa Isaac. All three could be picked on Day 2, and the drop-off in quality on Day 3 will be steep.

T-5) Cornerback (17 points)

I don't know if I consider the top of the cornerback class to be "superstar" caliber, but there will be at least two or three very good starters from the group. Players who could go late on Day 1 or early on Day 2 -- like Ennis Rakestraw Jr., Cooper DeJean and Kool-Aid McKinstry -- will go a long way in determining how we view the strength of the '24 CB class a few years from now. There is some solid Day 2 depth, with Renardo Green standing out to me. The interesting development here is that this is an unusually light cornerback class from a weight perspective. There will be talented corners getting looks inside the top 100 picks with weights in the 170s and low 180s, which are typically outliers for consideration in the first three rounds. Still, the coverage group is solid.

T-5) Interior defensive line (17 points)

When I look at this position, I see Byron Murphy II atop the class and then there's a gap before we get to the next-best player. Jer’Zhan Newton is a potential first-rounder. I believe the relentless motor of Braden Fiske, the dominant run stopping of T’Vondre Sweat and the wicked rush quickness of Michael Hall Jr. will all be compelling in the second round. On Day 3, Fabien Lovett Sr., Jordan Jefferson and Tyler Davis could become consistent rotational run-stoppers in the NFL.

7) Interior offensive line (16.5 points)

The strength of the interior O-line class would be drastically altered if a team were to move one of the top tackles inside, but for now, I can't assume that will happen. I expect to see Graham Barton and Jackson Powers-Johnson come off the board in the first round as centers who can also play guard, but teams will be able to go into the fourth round and maybe even Round 5 to find future starting centers this year. There may be a couple of true guards going in the second or third round, but overall, there will be more depth-level players than future starters at that spot.

T-8) Running back (14 points)

Most of this year's backs are going to be complementary pieces rather than fantasy football studs who stack up big production. Jonathon Brooks and Jaylen Wright are my top two backs, but Brooks is returning from an ACL tear, which could muddy his draft positioning. I believe we'll see as many as six backs go inside the top 100 picks, but with no star power and average backup depth, this RB class isn't a sexy one.

T-8) Tight end (14 points)

After last year's tight end class featured multiple standouts and excellent depth, there was never a doubt this year's class would pale in comparison. If it weren't for Brock Bowers and my own favorable opinions about the pass-catching potential of Ja’Tavion Sanders, this position would have fallen below safety. After Bowers and Sanders, Cade Stover is the only other tight end who earned a solid starting grade from me. There is adequate middle-round depth available, but it won't run as deep as teams might like and there are more question marks than usual with tight ends this year.

10) Safety (13 points)

Tyler Nubin should be the consensus top safety in the class, coming off the board in the early stages of Round 2, but there may not be any star-level safeties in this year's draft. I like Dadrion Taylor-Demerson and Cole Bishop to eventually become starters. Javon Bullard is more of a big nickel than a safety, so I included him with the cornerbacks in this exercise. It's going to be interesting to see where some of the bigger-bodied players and mega testers like Dominique Hampton, Ryan Watts and Tyler Owens end up going. Prospects that are big, explosive and fast tend to get pushed up the board.

11) Linebacker (11 points)

Last year, only one off-ball linebacker went in the first round and we didn't see another picked until Round 3. This year, I believe it's unlikely we'll see a linebacker taken in the top 40 picks. I gave Junior Colson, Edgerrin Cooper, Payton Wilson and Jeremiah Trotter Jr. future-starter grades, but after that group, teams will be looking at good-to-average backups. Wilson's production and testing could make him the top pick at the position, but given his injury history, teams' medical evaluations could play a big part in where he ends up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

The Cowboys trading up to take the deepest position in the draft when it isn't even one of their biggest needs is a baffling take. 

If anything, I'd like the Cowboys to trade down and pick up an extra day 2 pick so they can get an additional starter at LB/DT/DB/OL.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fellside said:

The Cowboys trading up to take the deepest position in the draft when it isn't even one of their biggest needs is a baffling take. 

If anything, I'd like the Cowboys to trade down and pick up an extra day 2 pick so they can get an additional starter at LB/DT/DB/OL.

Maybe the Cowboys are considering an offer to trade Lamb???

If Dak won't be back after 2024, not sure Lamb will want to stay in Dallas anyway.  

2 hours ago, fellside said:

Otther than that DL slug from Michigan last year (?), the Cowboys have drafted really well the last 5 years or so. 

Given that, I don’t see the Cowboys trading UP to pick up any WR.

52 minutes ago, The Dog said:

After Jerrah's "ALL IN" fiasco I'm looking forward to the Cowboys doing something that will make Cowboy fans scratch their heads and the rest of us laugh our asses off.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Mock drafts are so pointless.  

Especially Mel Kioer. The same retard who said he would retire if Jimmy Clausen didn't light it up in the NFL in 2010. The guy is worthless. I would swear he's missed on 98.9999% of every mock. Truly the absolute worst who gets paid good money to be a monkey who throws darts at a board.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Otther than that DL slug from Michigan last year (?), the Cowboys have drafted really well the last 5 years or so. 

Mazi

• Hook 'Em 1

You mean the two DLs from Michigan?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Future Trend for Roster Mgt of QBs ??

Interesting behind the scenes "spitballin" discussions at recent owners meetings regarding QBs compensation being totally out of control.  Per Albert Breer, we might begin to see some teams start churning the QB position a lot more often than ever before.

Breer:  "Do you really want to pay a Brock Purdy $55mill a year -- or do you have the stomach to churn that position?? "

Burrows, Justin Herbert, and Josh Allen -- Breer said he's not talking about those guys... they will obviously get their money.  It won't affect the super elite QBs.

But after the Daniel Jones $40mill/yr fiasco, and at the same time Baker Mayfield earned only $10mill taking Tampa to the playoffs -- some teams may start considering churning QBs a lot more often in the future.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Surprised more mock drafts don't have Penix going to Seahawks since new OC is Grubb

THE HERD | Joel Klatt breaks down Colin Cowherd's first 2024 mock draft

1day ago

The are on the DL.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:08 PM, irishtexan said:

You mean the two DLs from Michigan?

No.

Try to keep up.

I’m talking about the crappy DL, Mazi Smith, on the Dallas Cowboys. 

He kind of sucks. Other than that worthless slug (from Michigan), the Cowboys have drafted pretty well. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

No.  Try to keep up.  I’m talking about the crappy DL, Mazi Smith, on the Dallas Cowboys.  He kind of sucks. Other than that worthless slug (from Michigan), the Cowboys have drafted pretty well. 

Taco Charlton was playing for Birmingham in a UFL game yesterday -- talk about a 1st Rd DL bust for the Cowboys.  😋

Edited by LTtxfan

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20240331-164022_kindlephoto-8619856.png.8d1887a41abaf8f1a4a600fb3be7720a.png

Between Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington, and tight end Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas quarterbacks certainly weren't lacking for targets in the 2023 season. And Mitchell, who caught 55 passes on 86 targets for 845 yards and 11 touchdowns in his first season with the Longhorns after two seasons at Georgia in which he was underutilized, proved to be the most complete receiver of that impressive group.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Mitchell ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, and that is well in line with the explosive nature of his play. Last season, he bagged eight receptions of 20 or more air yards on 22 targets for 302 yards and three touchdowns, and with an NFL team in possession of a more credible deep passing game, that reception total could easily double sooner than later.

Able to beat cornerbacks over the top as well as he's able to scorch defenders on quick hitches and slants, Mitchell should be a first-round pick in the upcoming draft, and he's a few little tweaks away from true No. 1 receiver status at the next level. The upside is pretty fierce here.

PLUSES

-- Great vertical speed, but it's Mitchell's speed cuts that will put defenders in blenders; he can cut and re-set at full speed without losing ground, which is a rare attribute. That speed also allows him to cross a cornerback's face before the cornerback knows what to do about it.

-- Sinks into his breaks on digs and slants like a five-year NFL veteran; he's really well-formed and practiced as a route-runner overall.

-- Can be a YAC addition to a receiver room with open space in front of him; Mitchell is especially tough to deal with on hitches and comebacks.

-- Has an extra gear in the open field, and will accentuate it with subtle movements as deep defenders converge.

MINUSES

-- Mitchell's contested catches are made more through speed and separation than force; you can take him out with physicality to a degree.

-- Let's just say that he's not the first guy you'll have in mind when it comes to blocking for other receivers on screens and run plays.

-- Not especially physical in traffic. He doesn't dry up and blow away with defenders converging, but it's not an attribute.

-- Had just 11 explosive receptions last season, but I could see that total double in the right NFL offense; there were only so many deep balls to go around with Texas' roadrunners.

Mitchell is one of My Guys this year. I love his ability to get free with moves that a lot of NFL receivers haven't mastered yet. As long as you scheme him into space to a point and let him cook, he can be a devastating explosive weapon. Not a small guy at 6' 2¼" and 205, and if he can develop a bit more dawg in him, he absolutely has X-iso potential at the next level.

Edited by LTtxfan

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Taco Charlton was playing for Birmingham in a UFL game yesterday -- talk about a 1st Rd DL bust for the Cowboys.  😋

I said that “other than that slug”, the Cowboys have drafted pretty well the last 5 years  

So the someone goes back 7 years to find someone that has nothing to do with my statement  

IMG_3877.thumb.jpeg.0a0c849daba3cf01e7661c99c86ebf83.jpeg

On 3/30/2024 at 9:39 AM, LTtxfan said:

Future Trend for Roster Mgt of QBs ??

Interesting behind the scenes "spitballin" discussions at recent owners meetings regarding QBs compensation being totally out of control.  Per Albert Breer, we might begin to see some teams start churning the QB position a lot more often than ever before.

Breer:  "Do you really want to pay a Brock Purdy $55mill a year -- or do you have the stomach to churn that position?? "

Burrows, Justin Herbert, and Josh Allen -- Breer said he's not talking about those guys... they will obviously get their money.  It won't affect the super elite QBs.

But after the Daniel Jones $40mill/yr fiasco, and at the same time Baker Mayfield earned only $10mill taking Tampa to the playoffs -- some teams may start considering churning QBs a lot more often in the future.  

Churning QBs.  YouTube video posted today

The MMQB’s Alert Breer on the Uncertain Future of NFL QB Mega Contracts | The Rich Eisen Show

On 3/30/2024 at 9:39 AM, LTtxfan said:

Lulz, Purdy led the  league in QBR and rating, threw for more yards than Mahomes on the season with a better TD/INT ratio, led his team to the #1 seed in the NFC, and ultimately the SuperBowl in his first full season as a QB in the NFL. So barring some catastrophic injury, yes I do believe someone will throw a big contract at Purdy, and my guess is it will be the 49ers. Daniel Jones doesn't belong in the same sentence as Purdy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz, Purdy led the  league in QBR and rating, threw for more yards than Mahomes on the season with a better TD/INT ratio, led his team to the #1 seed in the NFC, and ultimately the SuperBowl in his first full season as a QB in the NFL. So barring some catastrophic injury, yes I do believe someone will throw a big contract at Purdy, and my guess is it will be the 49ers. Daniel Jones doesn't belong in the same sentence as Purdy. 

The defense (#4 in DVOA) and surrounding cast (Williams, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, Kittle) on offense will be less good if you pay Purdy. I think it's a legitimate discussion whether or not to pay him. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder how many QBs get drafted in 2024?  

Screenshot_20240401-042033_kindlephoto-2019673.thumb.png.873d39e220baf81cff8537d90483aa45.png

Saw in a few articles that Austin Reed is likely projected to be a late Day 3 draft pick or priority UDFA signing.

Projected NFL QB compensation Chart 2024

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/breakdown/quarterback/

If someone wastes a draft pick on Joe Milton they should be immediately escorted from the building. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

The defense (#4 in DVOA) and surrounding cast (Williams, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, Kittle) on offense will be less good if you pay Purdy. I think it's a legitimate discussion whether or not to pay him. 

Agreed. I think Purdy is average once you take away the aforementioned. He's a game manager, and wouldn't be anything with those guys. Paying him like he's Josh Allen, Mahomes (who won a SB with basically scrubs at WR) would be catastrophic. Eventually those weapons will be gone and they'll be left with a hefty contract.

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If someone wastes a draft pick on Joe Milton they should be immediately escorted from the building. 

Yep. Read an article the other day saying the Lions drafted the wrong Tennessee QB. I was baffled because his only argument was age, not production. He didn't even pretend that Goff could get hurt, he basically just made the argument that by the time Goff's contract is up Hooker will be 30 and out of a job (which wholly untrue), and Milton would be younger. Never mind that Milton is terrible, but he made the argument that he's mobile (which he didn't show in college. He was a statue) because he ran a 4.55 in the 40. The writer is a moron. 

35 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep. Read an article the other day saying the Lions drafted the wrong Tennessee QB. I was baffled because his only argument was age, not production. He didn't even pretend that Goff could get hurt, he basically just made the argument that by the time Goff's contract is up Hooker will be 30 and out of a job (which wholly untrue), and Milton would be younger. Never mind that Milton is terrible, but he made the argument that he's mobile (which he didn't show in college. He was a statue) because he ran a 4.55 in the 40. The writer is a moron. 

i am continually amazed at how terrible these people are at basic talent evaluation and cognitive thinking when it is literally their jobs to cover this stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

i am continually amazed at how terrible these people are at basic talent evaluation and cognitive thinking when it is literally their jobs to cover this stuff. 

It's truly a special talent at being stupid and using logic.