NHL Regular Season: 2023-2024

Vertuzzi

Get used to it. He’s been hyped as the next McDavid. He’s looked pretty solid in his first two games. Just can’t get over how tiny he looks out there. Think it’s made worse due to him playing center instead of one of the wings. Will take some time for him to get used to the physicality of that position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

Edmonton is a very popular pick to win the Cup and ... drubbed 8-1 by Vancouver on Opening Night.

yeah, I don't get it. they did literally nothing on the back end and goaltending and expect different results? you cannot score your way to a title in this NHL. you gotta have at least serviceable Dmen and goaltending. they have neither

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, I don't get it. they did literally nothing on the back end and goaltending and expect different results? you cannot score your way to a title in this NHL. you gotta have at least serviceable Dmen and goaltending. they have neither

All of Canada and the hockey media will suck them off non-stop as long as they have McDavid and Leon. I’m with you, don’t really see the hype. They have top end talent and decent scoring depth but still severely lack a cohesive defense and goaltending. There’s no way the can beat either of Vegas/Colorado/Dallas in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, Vertuzzi said:

All of Canada and the hockey media will suck them off non-stop as long as they have McDavid and Leon. I’m with you, don’t really see the hype. They have top end talent and decent scoring depth but still severely lack a cohesive defense and goaltending. There’s no way the can beat either of Vegas/Colorado/Dallas in the playoffs. 

Yep, every single Cup winner since that Caps cup win has been just stupid levels of deep, especially on defense. The Oilers and Leafs will get a ridiculous amount of hype every year, but until they actually take depth and defense seriously they're also-rans to me. I just can't take them seriously until they show that they have the ability to play lock-down defense. It's not 1985 anymore, you can't win a cup with teams built the way theirs are. 

Pavel Zacha being first line center for the Bruins might be an issue. I understand it’s a lot of new responsibility for him, but seems like he’s just kind of floating around. I’d like him to generate much more offense, especially when he’s line mates with one of the game’s best scorers in Pastrnak. He’s starting to make me nervous that maybe the Bruins need to go out and find a true 1C. On a positive note, he is winning draws at over 55%. I’m hoping this post ages like milk. 

On 10/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 10/13/2023 at 12:37 PM, Vertuzzi said:
Avs extend Devon Toews to a 7x$7.25MM. The top pair in Colorado is locked up for the next 5 years. 

We're only 2 games in, but the Avs are looking really sharp so far. If they can stay healthy they will make some noise this season.

yup. them and Vegas both look playoff ready now. we'll see how the end of the season shapes up

• Hook 'Em 1

Winnipeg Jets head coach Rick Bowness is taking a leave of absence from the team after his wife, Judy, had a seizure Sunday evening. Assistant Scott Arniel will step in as interim coach until Bowness is able to return.

The Jets made the announcement in a statement Monday, also saying that Judy Bowness remains hospitalized while undergoing further tests. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38725937/winnipeg-jets-coach-rick-bowness-leave-wife-seizure

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The Oilers fucking stink, and without McJesus they might end October with only one win. 

As a Bruins fan, I’m just as surprised as most of you with the 6-0 start. Figured lack of center depth would crush them but they seem to be holding up fine for the moment. Great defense and goaltending go a long way in this league. 

Vegas and Colorado…fucking wagons. Vegas looks like the same dominant team from last season and Colorado’s offseason forward pickups are starting to gel nicely with their core. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

The Oilers fucking stink, and without McJesus they might end October with only one win. 

As a Bruins fan, I’m just as surprised as most of you with the 6-0 start. Figured lack of center depth would crush them but they seem to be holding up fine for the moment. Great defense and goaltending go a long way in this league. 

Vegas and Colorado…fucking wagons. Vegas looks like the same dominant team from last season and Colorado’s offseason forward pickups are starting to gel nicely with their core. 

Johansen is looking like a steal right now with the Preds paying half his contract.  He has settled in nicely with the first 2 lines.  He's got 4 goals in 6 games.

21 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Like this! 

I did appreciate this line from the ESPN  article. 

Am I the only confused by this situation? He hasn’t gambled on NHL games and is allowed to bet on non-NHL events, according to the NHLPA CBA. They are obviously omitting a critical piece of information because the public narrative doesn’t make sense at this moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

19 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I saw the video and that was a fucking murder

Damn..yeah that was no "freak accident", Petgrave should be doing jail time over that. For those not wanting to seek out "hit".  Petgrave basically skated back and basically karate kick height raised his leg hitting him in the throat. 

23 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

It was my worst fear as a hockey parent.  Neck and clavicle protection is still rarely worn, even for goalies.  

Please, no one post the video.  If you're into snuff films you can find it elsewhere.

I never wore it growing up and still don’t in my men’s league. We obviously don’t move as quickly as pros but I’m definitely wearing a neck guard from now on. Just an all-around shitty situation. I can’t imagine what his family and teammates must be going through.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

I never wore it growing up and still don’t in my men’s league. We obviously don’t move as quickly as pros but I’m definitely wearing a neck guard from now on. Just an all-around shitty situation. I can’t imagine what his family and teammates must be going through.

Richard Zednik was another close call. 

Zednik has spoken about the incident in the past, but recently he joined the Slovak podcast Boris & Brambor where he recounted what was going through his mind. It should be noted that this translation is courtesy of u/Amphibious_Fire.

“I saw Olli’s skate go up to my eyes so I instinctively put my head up and I felt his skate stabbing my neck. I knew it was bad, as it was skating to the bench I was thinking if I’d ever see my daughter again”

https://www.bardown.com/richard-zednik-discussing-his-dangerous-neck-injury-is-absolutely-terrifying-1.1594496

Agree with everything here, except that kids mostly have no choice.  In Canada maybe, but here in the US, unfortunately this isn't the case.  Anecdotally, I can tell you that only a small percentage of kids wear them.  For the ones who do, it's typically the turtle neck style with the kevlar reinforced necks.

image.png.424e5c205bf7eaf1b3df736f8a247325.png

My kid fought it because he said it was hot, but quickly got used to it.

I do think we'll see more usage now at the youth level, but it'll come via parents and individual associations first before state and federal governing bodies.  Here's the most recent statement from USA Hockey that I've been able to find (they only go so far as to recommend):

USA Hockey continues to recommend a neck laceration protector for all players. The heightened discussions around lacerations from a skate blade reinforce the recommendation that players wear a neck laceration protector that covers as much of the neck as possible along with cut-resistant socks, sleeves or undergarments. USA Hockey, led by its safety and protective equipment committee, continues to work with equipment companies in efforts to ensure the safest possible environment for all participants.

Neck Laceration Protectors

USA Hockey is very concerned about neck lacerations and the potential catastrophic involvement of arteries, veins and nerves. 

There is sparse data on neck laceration prevalence, severity and neck laceration protector (neck guard) effectiveness. 

Highlights of research on Neck Laceration Protectors:

Current neck laceration protector designs do not eliminate the risk of a neck laceration: 27% of players who sustained a neck laceration were wearing a "neck guard" at the time of the injury.

Neck lacerations are potentially catastrophic, but most are superficial: 20 (61%) required bandaging only, 11 were sutured and 2 were glued.

Damage to the neck guard is not an indicator of the cut resistance of a neck guard. 

Neck laceration protectors with Spectra fibers were the most cut resistant.

Some neck laceration protectors shrink after washing, which may decrease surface area, expose more of the neck and reduce effectiveness.

Neck laceration protectors can decrease cervical spine range of motion. 

USA Hockey Neck Laceration Protector Policy

USA Hockey recommends that all players wear a neck laceration protector, choosing a design that covers as much of the neck area as possible. Further research & improved standards testing will better determine the effectiveness of neck laceration protectors.

As a goalie, my kid finally gave into the trifecta of dangler, clavicle guard, and shirt- all serving different but overlapping protection.

• Hook 'Em 2

not gonna lie, I just ordered the senior version of that shirt since it comes with the wrist protection as well. Even in bullshit B-C beer league games I've seen some rather nasty incidents though nothing close to what happened to Johnson. There's no reason not to play with that level of protection if it's available and not cumbersome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, Vertuzzi said:

I never wore it, and I never wore a shield or a cage thru my 20s and early 30s.  I also immediately took out the ear guards on any helmet I ever had.  Looking back upon it, I can't believe I never got seriously hurt.  A chipped tooth, a few broken noses, and 30 or so stitches, including 16 right next to my eye; none of that was fun, but all things considered, lucky as fuck.  I put on the cage about 10 years ago and by the second or third game didn't even notice.  What a bone head.  

I haven't played in a few years, but I'm thinking of doing so again, when I do, I will have a new helmet, unmodified, cage, and neck guard.  I get the NHL guys wanting the right to choose what protection they wear, but I think the example it sets for kids is important.  I wish they'd outlaw them not wearing a bucket in warmups, and after this incident start mandating neck protection.  Just take out the macho bullshit factor and make it a league wide regulation, just like they did with the half shield a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

4x89d1gw72yb1.jpg.f7e69807b8c01f6b586d973c98e5a100.jpg

I'm a Blues guy, but I've always liked the Sharks.  This Sharks team has the potential to be special.  Getting to 8 wins might be a miracle, I saw them play the Canucks, oof they are bad bad bad.  In ten games, they have scored 10 goals, and given up 45.  Yikes.  

Edited by BamaATL

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

As a Stars fan I have a history of rooting for Sharks failure. Let's just say that I am not terribly upset with their start.

I can understand that.  I have an appreciation for failure at a spectacular level,  like the win less Lions a few years ago.  This is incredible.  What's more, if you look at their roster, normally on even a bad team there is some trade bait for teams down the line, they have literally nothing of value, especially when you consider cap considerations.  

It might be time to consider that the Canucks are really good. They bullied the piece of shit Oilers last night. It was beautiful. They are playing well defensively, getting good goaltending, role players are scoring, and their stars are buzzing. Fun team to watch right now. 

Also, lol at the Oiler fans and their inability to realize that having no defense and no goaltending might be a recipe for disaster. Nothing about their team has been improved in the last few years. Just high-end forward talent and that’s about it. 

2 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

It might be time to consider that the Canucks are really good. They bullied the piece of shit Oilers last night. It was beautiful. They are playing well defensively, getting good goaltending, role players are scoring, and their stars are buzzing. Fun team to watch right now. 

Also, lol at the Oiler fans and their inability to realize that having no defense and no goaltending might be a recipe for disaster. Nothing about their team has been improved in the last few years. Just high-end forward talent and that’s about it. 

Are the Canucks good, or are the Oilers just dogshit?  Might be too soon to tell, but I'd lean towards the latter.

41 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Are the Canucks good, or are the Oilers just dogshit?  Might be too soon to tell, but I'd lean towards the latter.

They are good, just ask Stars fans on this site. They play a well structured system and are getting scoring from all four lines, plus great goaltending. They are a good team. 

Edited by Vertuzzi
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

no goaltending 

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Check this out 

Clearly they read Surl. 

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Jack Campbell was placed on waivers Tuesday, the latest development for the preseason Stanley Cup contenders who have the second-worst record in the NHL.

The Oilers placed Campbell on waivers for the purpose of assignment with the intent that he will play for their AHL affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors, in an attempt to gain the sort of consistency that has eluded him this season.

Consistency has been an issue for the Oilers through their first 11 games of the season as they have slumped to a 2-8-1 start. Only the winless San Jose Sharks at 0-10-1 have a worse record than the Oilers, who are tied with the Minnesota Wild for the second-most goals allowed this season.

Campbell is 1-4 with a 4.50 goals-against average and .873 save percentage. His lone win came Oct. 17 in a 6-1 victory against the Nashville Predators that saw him finish with 43 saves. It was the only game in which Campbell has recorded a save percentage greater than .900. That includes Campbell's most recent performance, also against the Predators, which saw him allow five goals on 34 shots.