NHL Regular Season: 2023-2024

Vertuzzi

I'm pretty sure there is no DivIII hockey thread so I'll drop this here

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39751278/hobart-survives-five-hours-4-ots-reach-d-iii-hockey-semis

Bauer Morrissey's goal at 15:17 of the fourth overtime -- a few minutes after midnight -- gave defending national champion Hobart a 4-3 victory and a trip back to the NCAA semifinals.

Curry goalie Shane Soderwall tied the Division III men's record with 98 saves. He had stopped 61 in a row before Morrissey ended a game that lasted a little over five hours.

61 consecutive saves in an elimination scenario is pretty stout. But they lost anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Former NHL winger Chris Simon has died at the age of 52. His family confirmed it to be a suicide in a statement released Tuesday night.

"The family strongly believes and witnessed firsthand, that Chris struggled immensely from CTE which unfortunately resulted in his death," the statement, provided by Simon's former agent, Paul Theofanous, on behalf of Simon's family, read. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39766825/former-nhl-winger-chris-simon-dies-age-52

And this one jumped off a balcony in Miami yesterday. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39765524/konstantin-koltsov-death-ruled-apparent-suicide-police

Fucking hell, I saw Chris Simon play juniors in the 1992 Memorial Cup.  He nearly single-handedly beat a Kamloops team that had Daryl Sydor, Scott Niedermeyer, and a couple of forwards who had stints in the NHL, and an NHL goalie.

Simon back then had long hair and was already fucking crazy.  But he was also huge and had ridiculous skill.  Incredibly fun to watch, and I can only imagine what kind of legend he would have been if he hadn't been so screwed up.  Would've been the perpetual leader in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks for sure.

Colorado looks like another first round exit this year. They give up way too many high danger scoring chances, their d turns the puck over often, and Georgiev can’t be trusted in net. I think they are fucked if they play the Jets in the first round. 

Colorado looks like another first round exit this year. They give up way too many high danger scoring chances, their d turns the puck over often, and Georgiev can’t be trusted in net. I think they are fucked if they play the Jets in the first round. 
Lulz
  • Haha 1

Here's the Jets playoffs: win game one over Colorado, 4-2, to make people think they have a chance. Then lose the next 4 in a row.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:01 PM, cactusflinthead said:

I wish Mo was still our coach.

20 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Neither appears to be aware of the other … accidental.

kinda my take too seeing from several angles. terrible for Zibanejad. good thing my fantasy season has already wrapped or I'd be scrambling for a center. but more than that, I like him as a player and he's cool off the ice too

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

kinda my take too seeing from several angles. terrible for Zibanejad. good thing my fantasy season has already wrapped or I'd be scrambling for a center. but more than that, I like him as a player and he's cool off the ice too

My fantasy is the Caps making the playoffs …

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCMountaineer said:

basically if the Yotes don't win that land auction the move to SLC is happening.

sounds like doesn't matter, current team is leaving asap.  The land auction is more of if Arizona gets a new team when it's ready to go - they'll keep the name and imaging to Coyotes.

They gone.  Losing the land auction is just another thing to blame the situation on.

It's a shame that Houston is not in the picture, but from what I've read about the Utah Group, they've outworked everyone else.

24 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

sounds like doesn't matter, current team is leaving asap.  The land auction is more of if Arizona gets a new team when it's ready to go - they'll keep the name and imaging to Coyotes.

yep. Sucks for Yotes fans but that well's been poisoned. They'll probably re-visit in a few years when the league does its next round of expansion. 

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They gone.  Losing the land auction is just another thing to blame the situation on.

It's a shame that Houston is not in the picture, but from what I've read about the Utah Group, they've outworked everyone else.

The fact that SLC is almost certainly getting a new arena if/when they get the Olympics doesn't hurt the optics of their bid.

23 hours ago, NCMountaineer said:

yep. Sucks for Yotes fans but that well's been poisoned. They'll probably re-visit in a few years when the league does its next round of expansion. 

The fact that SLC is almost certainly getting a new arena if/when they get the Olympics doesn't hurt the optics of their bid.

Why would Utah get the Olympics again so soon?

On 4/7/2024 at 9:27 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 4/7/2024 at 9:23 PM, Vertuzzi said:

Lulz

You aren’t nervous of your boys? Currently getting pumped by the Jets. 

Utah is a great spot for the Coyotes. Plus, with the amount of young talent they have, they will probably field a decent hockey team in the next 2-4 seasons. 

It’s sounding like Atlanta might win the expansion bid, which is highly fucking annoying considering it hasn’t worked the last couple of times. I’d much prefer to see a team in Houston or Kansas City. 

• Hook 'Em 1