Fuck you mate

StassneyHorn

Australia rejects Indigenous referendum in setback for reconciliation

Australia on Saturday decisively rejected a proposal to recognise Indigenous people in the constitution, in a major setback to the country's efforts for reconciliation with its First Peoples.

Australians had to vote "Yes" or "No" in the referendum, the first in almost a quarter of a century, on the question of whether to alter the constitution to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people through the creation of an Indigenous advisory body, the "Voice to Parliament".

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/voting-begins-australia-landmark-indigenous-voice-referendum-2023-10-13/

• Rage+1 1

There was opposition to the proposal even from the indigenous people apparently:

... Some Indigenous leaders oppose the Voice because they say it compromises on their aim of achieving a treaty to end an occupation war which began with European arrival in 1788. Warren Mundine, a former Labor party president, who is Indigenous, has campaigned against the Voice saying that a 'No' result would improve the chances of a treaty. Senator Lidia Thorpe, who is Indigenous, quit the left-wing Greens party to become independent in February because of its support for the Voice, saying the party held back her advocacy for the "Black Sovereign Movement".

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/fragmented-forces-opposing-australias-indigenous-referendum-2023-10-12/

CSB incoming . . .

In late Feb of 2020 - just before the Covid shutdown - I visited Texas and in one day drove from Ft. Worth to Lubbock and then to Marfa (if you haven't already figured it out, I'm a loon).  I got to Ft. Stockton around 8:40pm-ish and figured if I was going to have a drink that night I'd better find a liquor store since everything in Marathon, Alpine, and Marfa metroplex would probably be closed by the time I got there.  

I found a place that sold wine but as I perused the shelves it occurred to me that most of it was some kind of low alcohol, almost Holy Communion grade wine.  The only recognizable brand was 19 Crimes, which I wouldn't but at home for any reason. Period.  

I bought it that night.  When I got to my AirBNB in Marfa I opened the bottle and had a glass or two (did you notice I didn't say "enjoyed?").  I read the label and the "19 Crimes" part refers to the crimes in England that would get you shipped out to Australia.

Making that wine should be a crime and whoever makes it should be in jail.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Shitty to vote this down if it was for recognition and start negotiating a treaty. Not like the aborigines are a power house. 

Yeah…I need to read a lot more on this to understand it. As I understand, there was even some indigenous opposition to the measure. I get the impression that it has some material flaws. But again…I know very little about the details.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'll tell you this much, if you're dealing with aussies and they say "no rules, mate!"  It's not a catchy Outback jingle, that mean watch your six, because they are about to try to fuck you over with a stupid little smile on their faces.