Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

On 3/4/2024 at 9:29 AM, Scraps said:

Man these prices are getting out of hand.  Saturday game get in the door ticket (nosebleed in 405)  is $49 after fees.  

Monday get in the door ticket is $40 after fees. 

My days of going to 20+ games a year are over 

You could buy season tickets. They now have a program where you can be a part of a group that they will put together for you- you get non dynamic pricing and could share them with 3 other dudes and get your 20 games at a better price. 

You could buy season tickets. They now have a program where you can be a part of a group that they will put together for you- you get non dynamic pricing and could share them with 3 other dudes and get your 20 games at a better price. 
No thanks.

I don't even want to sit down I just want to get in the door. Also I normally decide to go to the game the day of it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Props to Altuve and Bregs for dueling 0.83  BA’s.

somewhere Maldy is getting very excited 

Altuve got paid and doesn't care.

Bregman is pressing because it's a contract year.

Right?

🔥🔥🔥🔥

Ronel Blanco, who is vying for depth at the Astros starting pitching position, hasn’t allowed a run this spring training.

Today, he went 3 innings and allowed 1 hit and 1 walk. He also had 4 Ks.

ON THIS DAY... March 1, 1987 - Charlie Kerfeld and the Astros finally agree on a one-year contract worth $110,037.37 and 37 boxes of orange Jello, planned for use in future pranks. The Houston reliever, who wears number 37, insisted he earned more than right-hander Jim Deshaies, and the reliever's new deal pays him $37.37 more than his teammate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.upi.com/amp/Archives/1987/03/02/Houston-Astros-reliever-Charlie-Kerfeld-who-does-not-believe/7154541659600/

'I wanted the Jell-O so (Astros reliever) Larry Andersen and I could pull a prank on some coach or unsuspecting reporter this season. When they least expect it, they might find some orange Jell-O in their toilet or the whirlpool or something. I chose orange because we won't be wearing our orange uniforms anymore.'

Kerfeld was to sign his contract and receive the Jell-O Monday, even though he says he is not pleased with the final salary. Kerfeld originally sought a raise from $65,000 to $150,000 before dropping his request to around $130,000.

Also settling contract disputes Sunday were first baseman Glenn Davis and pitcher Jim Deshaies.

Davis had been sitting out spring training camp during the emotional contract talks, while fans in Houston began a fundraising effort to gather $70,000 that represented the difference between what Davis wanted and what the Astros offered to pay him.

Fucking McMullen 

• Rage+1 1

March 6: RHP J.P. France faces hitters for first time
France faced hitters for the first time this spring on Wednesday when he threw 20 pitches in live batting practice. He reported to camp with shoulder inflammation, and he has been steadily ramping up his throwing program. The Astros expect France to be ready for the start of the regular season and slotted into the rotation.

March 5: RHP Forrest Whitley still a no-throw
Whitley has yet to resume throwing a baseball since his Feb. 24 live batting practice session was scratched. Whitley was diagnosed with a strained middle finger on his right hand. The Astros' former No. 1 prospect, Whitley has had a history of injury problems and came to camp this year vying for a spot in the bullpen.

From The Athletic extension series—I would be all over that

Kyle Tucker (27)

Controlled through 2025
Last year’s projection: Nine years, $211 million

Tucker won’t make as much as Guerrero in arbitration, but his all-around game gives him a strong chance to top $200 million in an extension. His comps include a former Astros outfielder:

This trio pegs Tucker’s open-market value right around $29 million per season. Let’s buy out six free-agent years at that price (through his age-34 season) and add on about $30 million for the next two seasons in arbitration. He’s basically right on the same track he was a year ago.

2024 salary: $12 million
Extension projection: Eight years, $204 million

Comps:

Jacoby Ellsbury (2014) 30-36yo fWAR1 4.6 fWAR3 14.9 7yr@adjusted $28m AAV

George Springer (2021) 31-36yo fWAR1 4.8 fWAR3 14.3 6yr@28.5M

Jason Heyward (2016) 26-33yo fWAR1 5.6 fWAR3 13.4 8yr@29.0M

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Houston reliever, who wears number 37, insisted he earned more than right-hander Jim Deshaies, and the reliever's new deal pays him $37.37 more than his teammate.

JD is a lefty.  Fucking 80s version of Chandler Rome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1