2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
17 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Gafford was -25 and Lively was +26. One of them was not like the other. 

Gafford was awful this series.

Holmgren’s a weird matchup. Lively just matched up with him much better. 

7 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Any chance at all we see Maxi next series? Would be nice to be able to play some 5 out again. 

I thought he was likely done for the year with a slight chance to get back at some point during the finals.  Would be happy to have that wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I thought he was likely done for the year with a slight chance to get back at some point during the finals.  Would be happy to have that wrong.

It’s been 2 weeks so was hoping there was a chance he could make it back by game 3 or 4. Guess I’ll temper those expectations.  

53 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Gafford was -25 and Lively was +26. One of them was not like the other. 

Gafford is an absolute baller and wasn’t the same after injuring his hand. I wouldn’t crown Lively after one game. I am glad we have them both. Studs. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This is just a truly unbelievable DFW sports heater.   And I'll say this.  I gave the high priced Mavs crowd some shit at half in this thread. That arena seemed loud as hell in the 4th.  Props to anyone who went.

Now it’s just the cowboys need some glory hole

• Haha 2

Holmgren’s a weird matchup. Lively just matched up with him much better. 
Gafford is an absolute baller and wasn’t the same after injuring his hand. I wouldn’t crown Lively after one game. I am glad we have them both. Studs. 
Nothing to do with the hand, he can't guard the perimeter and get back to the paint in time.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Nothing to do with the hand, he can't guard the perimeter and get back to the paint in time.

It’s the hand in that he can’t convert shots. Gafford is absolutely great, and so is Lively. 

8 hours ago, TornACL said:

I hope that stupid fuck who wears the same OKC jersey every game behind their bench is crying tonight. Okie trash.

The tattooed fat boy?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It’s the hand in that he can’t convert shots. Gafford is absolutely great, and so is Lively. 

This

10 hours ago, ITHorn said:

Gotta love the media shitting on Kyrie to the point Dallas could pick him up for next to nothing. 

Not just the media- most of the fans and lots of coaches and his teammates were shitting on him too, and not unfairly in many cases. But luckily for the Mavs the chemistry seems to be great for him here, and he seems like he’s grown up. I’m thrilled to have been wrong about him. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

33 minutes ago, cafe society said:

He's the worst in the league, for sure.  

easily.  He's not worse than Angel Hernandez in MLB but he is horrible.  I don't think it is a Mavs thing necessarily, he's just incompetent.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he’s so bad, how does he get assigned to playoff games?  Not a defense of his competence, but an admonition of the league in thumbing the scale.

seniority

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he’s so bad, how does he get assigned to playoff games?  Not a defense of his competence, but an admonition of the league in thumbing the scale.

Weird, if I didn’t know better I would think lengthening a series benefits the league.

6 hours ago, cafe society said:

He's the worst in the league, for sure.  

He’s no Scott Foster.

7 hours ago, TxTower said:

Is Tony Brothers the worst in the league or does he just hate the Mavericks?

He doesn’t hate the Mavs, he’s just a company man.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Skipper said:

This is just a truly unbelievable DFW sports heater.   And I'll say this.  I gave the high priced Mavs crowd some shit at half in this thread. That arena seemed loud as hell in the 4th.  Props to anyone who went.

I was at the game, and the crowd was loud in the second half.

I was also joking to my wife that Luka ran off the court in the first quarter to take a dump. Glad I got confirmation in this thread.

Edited by GenXer

8 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Mavs gotta be small favorites??

Minn roughed the Mavs up a couple of times in the season right?  and they have home court and were the 3 seed.  I have to believe Minn will be favored.

I guess I'd rather not face Jokic who could probably face rape us.

Minn roughed the Mavs up a couple of times in the season right?  and they have home court and were the 3 seed.  I have to believe Minn will be favored.
I guess I'd rather not face Jokic who could probably face rape us.

Didn’t get a real Mavs team in our home games. Dallas punted both and rested Luka IIRC
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dallas played the T-Wolves four times between 12/14/23 and 1/31/24. So all pre-trade. Minny hasn’t played the current Mavs lineup. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/timberwolves-last-5-games-vs-mavs

Yep really hard to judge regular season results in today's NBA anyways. So many variables at play be it load management, back to backs, 3 games in 4 days, injuries. And yes, pre-trade rosters for teams who make moves.

Minnesota going to very tough. I too wanted Jokic out the playoffs so we don't have to deal with him but I don't see this as Boston getting an inferior Indiana team in its place. Minnesota looked dead in the water after dropping both games at home after going up 2-0 on the road. Then lost game 5, I for sure thought they were toast. The way they fought back in game 7 on the road was as gritty as it gets. Ant is a junkyard dog out there and reminds me of a young Kobe. He knows he's good and will tell you about it. I love watching him play. He had Murray in fits all series. Murray got majority of his points on screens and switches when Ant wasn't guarding him. Going to need a big series from our bigs and I think they can do that,.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Quick cursory observation, we match up better with Denver, no?

I agree. Minny is tough inside and out. They have a Shai, a prolific scoring big that can shoot in KAT, and a great D big presence in Gobert. They outduel us with bigs. I think they’re the much tougher matchup and I don’t think it’s particularly close. 

Edited by Rex Kramer

I heard Hayward's interview on this morning's local radio. Yeah, clearly not happy that he barely played this year. The joke was that the fans have more buckets in the playoffs than Hayward because three fans have made halfcourt shots during those prize segments.

10 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I would feel better if we had a healthy Maxi for this series. Going to need more depth C/PF and his ability to spread our offense would help. 

Being able to go small and have Maxi pull Gobert out of the paint would have been nice to have. I heard on the Hoop Collective the other day that Maxi started very light basketball activities, but I can't imagine he's going to be ready to play a major part in the series. 

I do wonder if they'll run some small ball lineups with PJ as the 5. We're going to have to find a way to play Gobert off the floor IMO.