2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

Added youth, length, and energy while getting rid of the fat thumb Williams. Watching the selflessness of Gafford and Washington it is easy to see they were not the problems in their bad situations.

We just boat raced not only one of the top 4 teams in the conference but also a team who has for the past couple of years given us problems with their length. We dominated both sides of the floor. That was fun.

Goddamn that was a great debut by these two. Watched Skin’s post game interview and liked them both. Young athletic studs. Combined 33 and 14. Gafford 19 and 9 in just 17 minutes. 

Kleber with a nice day too. Luka didn’t even play the 4th, I don’t think. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Bad THJ is really bad

first half 11min, 11 shots, 2 makes, 3 fouls, 0 assists.

losing to a 9 win team with Luka and Irving.

Yea I think he’s playing himself out of minutes if that continues. He’s in a very bad way at the moment and we now have options. 

Still won even if it was ugly. I don’t think anyone was predicting a 5-game winning streak 10 days ago. 

we need to stop playing THJ and Hardy at the same time. It’s not pretty. 

11 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Yea I think he’s playing himself out of minutes if that continues. He’s in a very bad way at the moment and we now have options. 

Still won even if it was ugly. I don’t think anyone was predicting a 5-game winning streak 10 days ago. 

we need to stop playing THJ and Hardy at the same time. It’s not pretty. 

Yeah ugly win.  a shot a minute is pretty impressive pace especially when you are making under 20%.  That is a crazy stat line.  Got to admit he's got balls and don't give a fuck.  he took 2 more and missed both and played 11min in the second half.  

Timmy being so frustratingly bad when he's off is a direct result of why he's so valuable - he doesn't have a memory, he just keeps shooting. We need our outside shooters to not hesitate on open shots (ahem maxi) otherwise our offensive spacing and pacing crumples.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Timmy being so frustratingly bad when he's off is a direct result of why he's so valuable - he doesn't have a memory, he just keeps shooting. We need our outside shooters to not hesitate on open shots (ahem maxi) otherwise our offensive spacing and pacing crumples.

you make zero percent of the shots you don't take.

The 6-game streak is great, and unlike other stretches this year, it doesn't feel like it is all smoke and mirrors.  I would love to get to the 6 spot to miss out on the play-in shit.  Other than that, I'd like to avoid the Clippers and Nuggets in the first round.  

trade deadline masterclass feels like.. big road stretch coming up with Indiana, Cleveland, Raptors, and Celtics. 3 of the top 6 in the East and the always annoying Raptors. should learn a lot after an impressive win tonight

on a positive note our interior defense is a LOT better this year with lively and since the trade deadline with PJW and gafford. along with that length our smalls have also gotten smarter at knocking out balls when the other teams brings them down below chest level.  i think they've picked that up from kyrie-  josh and luka especially have noticeable improved in that area.  our 3 pt defending is .. woof.  we're giving away lots of open looks.  we got lucky for a couple games where the other teams didn't convert and the cavs went on a ridiculous streak last night which skews the results a bit but that and our transition defense are now our biggest weaknesses.  one thing at a time though.

1. Jason Kidd as head coach was a bad decision.

2. Hearing Brunson say he wanted to stay but Dallas ghosted him during the season was disconcerting, for sure.

3. Wasting Luca is frustrating. 

4. I highly questioned the Nico hire primarily because of his lack of experience as an NBA GM.  

5. I never liked the long runs of Don and Donnie.

6. Disassembling the championship team immediately was puzzling.

7. The constant lack of focus on defense is frustrating.

8. The long term worthless or missing draft picks outside of two Euro stars is concerning.  

At some point you have to wonder if Cuban is nothing more than an internet bubble baby who lucked into a $2 billion exit on top of a fairly worthless business built with funny money, and once loaded simply used his incredible wealth and influence to make more money, like all billionaires can do pretty easily. I like Cuban but I don’t think he’s nearly as smart or effective as his wealth and reputation implies. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

2. Hearing Brunson say he wanted to stay but Dallas ghosted him during the season was disconcerting, for sure.

4. I highly questioned the Nico hire primarily because of his lack of experience as an NBA GM.  

8. The long term worthless or missing draft picks outside of two Euro stars is concerning.  

At some point you have to wonder if Cuban is nothing more than an internet bubble baby who lucked into a $2 billion exit on top of a fairly worthless business built with funny money, and once loaded simply used his incredible wealth and influence to make more money, like all billionaires can do pretty easily. I like Cuban but I don’t think he’s nearly as smart or effective as his wealth and reputation implies. 

Shark Tank Wow GIF by ABC Network

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

At some point you have to wonder if Cuban is nothing more than an internet bubble baby who lucked into a $2 billion exit on top of a fairly worthless business built with funny money, and once loaded simply used his incredible wealth and to make more money, like all billionaires can do pretty easily. I like Cuban but I don’t think he’s nearly as smart or effective as his wealth and reputation implies. 

Timing is everything.  He was in at the beginning of the PC Boom like Dell and then he sold at the right time during dot com bubble.  he could be lucky or he could know something.  Seems to know tech.

He's basically gonna waste 2 top 25 NBA players because he knows shitall about basketball.  He's tech money version of Jerry Jones.

Nico is doing fine given the shit hand he was dealt. They have a decent roster now that is more talented than the one they made it to the WCF with. 

Time to cut the cord on Kidd, though, or I will call for Nico to go as well. Dude just brings nothing to the table. Not being a top 6 seed with this bunch just isn’t okay. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If Hardaway is cold we lose. It’s been that way for a few years. Mavs are better with Gafford/Washington, but they still need a real #3 and Kidd isn’t the guy. 

this.  Washington and Hardaway were 1-13 from 3 today.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If Hardaway is cold we lose. It’s been that way for a few years. Mavs are better with Gafford/Washington, but they still need a real #3 and Kidd isn’t the guy. 

I like Kidd as a 3 more than as a coach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

he doesn't scheme.  players love him because he doesn't yell at them and doesn't keep them accountable.  players also respect his playing career.  he's not a leader.  he doesn't make his team better.  he doesn't keep himself accountable.  he wouldn't be a terrible coach for a team that has strong veteran leadership with a solid identity.  but he's a terrible coach for a team who needs a strong guiding voice that teaches a team how to win.  he should never have been hired for this team.  i think cuban hired him b/c he's likable.  all the failed free agent trysts with jordan, dwill, dwight howard... plague cuban and he desperately needed someone who FAs and players (esp LD77 in light of his fallout with rick carlisle) would find attractive.  hence kidd. 

we are doing him no favors by keeping kidd as HC.  he needs to be strongarmed into growing up.  take each game, each possession, the entire process from pregames to postgames to offseason... seriously.

i did too but he's been great other than the brunson debacle and who knows what really happened there. 

i don't think there's a lack of focus on defense.  the coaching staff has a plan and the players are trying hard.  the gm has been trying to find the players necessary to execute the plan.  in reality, the coaching staff's plan is rubbish and is next to impossible to work in today's NBA.  you can't have a team of small perimeter guys who can't defend 1v1 rotating all over the floor after collapsing on someone in the paint.  every team in the NBA can shoot from behind the arc especially when they're left open because you came off them to help defend.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What I find so frustrating about Kidd along with everything mentioned is that he was a magnificent defender.  On and off ball.  He was a basketball genius that could see two passes ahead but doesn't help his team offensively at all.  

It's like he forgot all the things that made him so good as a player. 

Also Fuck Mark Cuban 

16 hours ago, Post Oak said:

What I find so frustrating about Kidd along with everything mentioned is that he was a magnificent defender.  On and off ball.  He was a basketball genius that could see two passes ahead but doesn't help his team offensively at all.  

It's like he forgot all the things that made him so good as a player. 

Also Fuck Mark Cuban 

The issue is that Kidd isn't coaching Kidd.  He knows what to do, but he is incapable of teaching someone else how to do it.  He was a great improviser, and that is something you can't teach.  And let's be fare, as great of a player as he was, he only has one ring to show for it, and he owes that mostly to Dirk.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

Why isn’t someone reminding him that Gafford was playing great AND they gave up a first round pick to get him. Burying him on the bench behind maxi makes absolutely no sense.

Totally agree with this. The amount of minutes we're running Maxi out there is just stupid. He played 26 minutes against Philly and got 2....2 points. It's not an isolated game either. Here are his last 5 games. 

image.png.8dbc331a28229657471fa4e1b215ead2.png

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

Why isn’t someone reminding him that Gafford was playing great AND they gave up a first round pick to get him. Burying him on the bench behind maxi makes absolutely no sense.

kidd likes the offensive spacing he gets with maxi esp down the stretch.  same reason lively wasn't getting burn at the end of games.  another issue is maxi's the only big who can guard the other team's bigs on the perimeter.  as poorly as we guard the 3 point line i think it's a valid point.  i don't know what the answer is though b/c when maxi's out there we're getting outrebounded every time.