THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

UW win is bad for us. We should be rooting for Alabama (higher margin is better) and Oregon winning (by a little). If both win, we have a decent shot as there will be two spots available. I think the committee would be loathe to leave out the SEC champ, and ultimately that plays in our favor as the only team to beat said champ. If only one of Oregon or Alabama wins, I think we are almost certainly out (and Michigan and FSU win). 

If the winners are:

1. FSU, Washington, Bama, Michigan, and Texas - the playoffs are FSU, Washington, Bama and Michigan (Undefeated Washington gets in and Bama gets in over us on the strength of what have you done for me lately)

2. FSU, Oregon, Georgia, Michigan, and Texas - Playoffs = FSU, Oregon, Georgia, and Michigan (our best win loses and Oregon gets a great win over Washington)

3. FSU, Oregon, Bama, Michigan, and Texas - Playoffs = FSU, Michigan, Bama, and Texas. (Bama gets in for defeating reigning champs, we get in over Oregon for having defeated the team that beat the reigning champs)

Rooting for Washington 100% locks out a spot that we could take. Rooting for Georgia 100% locks out a spot (although probably not one we can take) AND diminishes our best win if it comes down to a beauty contest. 

I am not sure how you can argue that Oregon winning would "open up a spot."  It is very clear that one of the spots at this point is reserved for the Pac 12 champ.

Obviously, we need to root for Bama, Iowa and ESPECIALLY LVille.  If LVille wins, we are in.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

UW win is bad for us. We should be rooting for Alabama (higher margin is better) and Oregon winning (by a little). If both win, we have a decent shot as there will be two spots available. I think the committee would be loathe to leave out the SEC champ, and ultimately that plays in our favor as the only team to beat said champ. If only one of Oregon or Alabama wins, I think we are almost certainly out (and Michigan and FSU win). 

If the winners are:

1. FSU, Washington, Bama, Michigan, and Texas - the playoffs are FSU, Washington, Bama and Michigan (Undefeated Washington gets in and Bama gets in over us on the strength of what have you done for me lately)

2. FSU, Oregon, Georgia, Michigan, and Texas - Playoffs = FSU, Oregon, Georgia, and Michigan (our best win loses and Oregon gets a great win over Washington)

3. FSU, Oregon, Bama, Michigan, and Texas - Playoffs = FSU, Michigan, Bama, and Texas. (Bama gets in for defeating reigning champs, we get in over Oregon for having defeated the team that beat the reigning champs)

Rooting for Washington 100% locks out a spot that we could take. Rooting for Georgia 100% locks out a spot (although probably not one we can take) AND diminishes our best win if it comes down to a beauty contest. 

I disagree with this premise. I think Texas would go unless Bama boatraces Georgia (win by 14 or more) and we look like shit against OSU (winning by 10 or less). 

Just now, Pound Town said:

I am not sure how you can argue that Oregon winning would "open up a spot."  It is very clear that one of the spots at this point is reserved for the Pac 12 champ.

Bolded is wrong. That's how. Current rankings don't matter because championship games haven't been played. If Bama, Oregon, and Texas win (and no other upsets), Oregon has a very good chance at being  on the outside looking in unless it absolute crushes Washington. 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I disagree with this premise. I think Texas would go unless Bama boatraces Georgia (win by 14 or more) and we look like shit against OSU (winning by 10 or less). 

There is small chance of that happening. But I think it is exceedingly unlikely. 

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Unlikely, but not moo. Our best chance there would be if Bama beats Georgia, and they have to choose two of Oregon, Texas, and Bama. 

I dont know, just reading the tea leaves, the perceived weakness of the Big12 will have us looking on the outside.

Feels like if there are three 1 loss Conference Champs and 2 playoff spots available, the PAC and SEC get em (especially with Oregon and Alabama just beating undefeated top 5 teams). Just what i think.

yeah, people will say, now can that be, Alabama lost to Texas.. but they won't have the stomach to leave the SEC out.

Edited by yoladu

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If the winners are:

I am not sure on the #1.. Bama/Texas is an interesting argument. I dont think you can assume Bama jumps Texas, given the double digit win on the road for Texas. Texas has 1 loss, so the more teams with 1 loss the better for Texas. Root for chaos, but especially Louisville and Bama. 

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This is where I burn down all of North America.

"Oh we need to break a tie between these two teams.... what's that? They played in Tuscaloosa and Texas won by 10? Oh well that happened so long ago who even remembers.... "

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

Obviously, we need to root for Bama, Iowa and ESPECIALLY LVille.  If LVille wins, we are in.

Rooting for Bama does almost nothing for us if Washington, Michigan, and FSU win. Holding out hope that we'll get placed over Bama in that scenario is setting yourself up for disappointment. That is an extremely low likely scenario. You need to root for Oregon as well.   

Rooting for Bama does almost nothing for us if Washington, Michigan, and FSU win. Holding out hope that we'll get placed over Bama in that scenario is setting yourself up for disappointment. That is an extremely low likely scenario.

But if Georgia wins in that scenario then that's four undefeated teams and we're out for sure. So you're talking about a coin flip probably vs 0%. I'll take the coin flip. 

• Like 1

Rooting for Bama does almost nothing for us if Washington, Michigan, and FSU win. Holding out hope that we'll get placed over Bama in that scenario is setting yourself up for disappointment. That is an extremely low likely scenario. You need to root for Oregon as well.   

I don't think you are listening to yourself.

If Oregon wins the Pac 12, you would have to believe the committee would DEVALUE Oregon's win against a Top 5 team and let Texas pass them with a lesser win or Bama vault both of them with a win over Georgia.  The committee has boxed itself in, but it is not plausible for Texas and Bama to vault Oregon because they are tied at the hip.  And Oregon has their best win in front of them.

Just now, Red Five said:

But if Georgia wins in that scenario then that's four undefeated teams and we're out for sure. So you're talking about a coin flip probably vs 0%. I'll take the coin flip. 

I agree with the first part. But it isn't a coin flip. It's more like a roll of 20 sided die and we need hit a 20 to win. Maybe if Alabama wins and like Milroe gets hurts at the very end and will not be able to play in the playoffs. 

13 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

I am not sure on this. Just assume Michigan, FSU, Oregon, Texas, and Bama win. 

Michigan is in.. 

FSU is in.. 

Now the committee has to pick 2 of the 3. Texas has the head to head over Bame. I believe the SOS argument argument over both. They have 3 choices

1. They send the message that the regular season does not matter and puts Bama in over Texas, which will bring in all kinds of heat. SOS does not matter and they put in Oregon

2. They leave the SEC out and the world goes nuts. SOS does not matter as Oregon in over Bama

3. They say we looked at the resumes. Bama and Texas have a stronger SOS and resume, than Oregon. They would also have the better win

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pound Town said:

If Oregon wins the Pac 12, you would have to believe the committee would DEVALUE Oregon's win against a Top 5 team and let Texas pass them with a lesser win or Bama vault both of them with a win over Georgia.  The committee has boxed itself in, but it is not plausible for Texas and Bama to vault Oregon because they are tied at the hip.  And Oregon has their best win in front of them.

If Bama beats Georgia, it will no longer be a "lesser win". Beating Bama at Bama by two scores will be the undisputed, objectively and subjectively, best win in all of college football. The rankings will reflect that. The only argument Oregon will have is that losing to Washington is better than losing to OU. But the strength of the SEC mindshare will drag Alabama and by extension Texas to take the final two spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Michigan is in.. 

FSU is in.. 

Now the committee has to pick 2 of the 3. Texas has the head to head over Bame. I believe the SOS argument argument over both. They have 3 choices

1. They send the message that the regular season does not matter and puts Bama in over Texas, which will bring in all kinds of heat. SOS does not matter and they put in Oregon

2. They leave the SEC out and the world goes nuts. SOS does not matter as Oregon in over Bama

3. They say we looked at the resumes. Bama and Texas have a stronger SOS and resume, than Oregon. They would also have the better win

This is the way. It is absolutely our best path (and really, the only real viable one) should FSU and Michigan win. 

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I agree with the first part. But it isn't a coin flip. It's more like a roll of 20 sided die and we need hit a 20 to win. Maybe if Alabama wins and like Milroe gets hurts at the very end and will not be able to play in the playoffs. 

We're talking about Texas vs Bama for spot 4 right? Yes that would probably be a coin flip. Maybe literally. 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Michigan is in.. 

FSU is in.. 

Not so sure. Alabama and Oregon would have fresh wins against a #1 undefeated team and a #3 undefeated team respectively. I think that is just too strong to overlook.

*not to mention, their only regular season losses are going to be to a Top 10 team 1 loss team (Texas and Washington). Texas' loss was to a 2 loss Oklahoma.

Edited by yoladu

4 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Not so sure. Alabama and Oregon would have fresh wins against a #1 undefeated team and a #3 undefeated team respectively. I think that is just too strong to overlook.

its possible, but SOS and best win would both favor Texas over Oregon.. 

Bama would be ranked above Washington in the final poll. 

I would bet Georgia would be ranked above  Washington in the final poll

Committtee could be a slave to recency bias, but my argument is the cleanest and most logical path for the committee would be to select Texas and Bama. That maybe a stretch since this committee has not been bound by logic  

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That is better than an undefeated Georgia you numbskull, then we have 0 chance of getting in. Let's have the debate and make the committee look us in the eye and embarrass themselves on national TV by putting a team we beat by double digits on the road over us. FYI, Bama fans dont think they are going over us if it ends up head to head. 

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

semantics. They were at the time they played them.

So was Alabama when Texas played them. The data that the committee would be using in the hypothetical scenario is not semantics. During their review Alabama in Tuscaloosa would be the best win. Best team, best location (road win), etc. There's no reasonable counterargument to that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

Current rankings don't matter.  We've seem the committee buck previous rankings several years now.  When they actually seriously start discussing who is in or out, things will change.

Texas has the best resume out of any 1-loss team. SoS, game control, wins over top 50, all solidly in our favor. I feel like this needs to be shouted from the roofs.  If we get bucked for another team it won't be because of anything to do with our resume.  It'll be because the committee thinks another team is better than us enough that it overcomes all that.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

When I'm on the committee, the first consideration is going to be, "Did you play an FCS team?" and if the answer is yes, you're out.  

It's kind of bullshit to reward a non-con win over Southeastern Tallahassee School of Acupuncture (Look at that margin of victory!), and ignore going on the road to play a top-5 blue blood.    

Edit:  I mean, do they want the AD's to schedule meaningful games in September or not?  It seems like you'd want to send a message there.   

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Current rankings don't matter.  We've seem the committee buck previous rankings several years now.  When they actually seriously start discussing who is in or out, things will change.

Texas has the best resume out of any 1-loss team. SoS, game control, wins over top 50, all solidly in our favor. I feel like this needs to be shouted from the roofs.  If we get bucked for another team it won't be because of anything to do with our resume.  It'll be because the committee thinks another team is so better than us enough that it overcomes all that.

I am curious to hear examples.

4 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

When I'm on the committee, the first consideration is going to be, "Did you play an FCS team?" and if the answer is yes, you're out.  

It's kind of bullshit to reward a win over Southeastern Tallahassee School of Acupuncture (Look at that margin of victory!), and ignore going on the road to play a top-5 blue blood.    

what the fuck are you babbling about?  

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Texas has the best resume out of any 1-loss team. SoS, game control, wins over top 50, all solidly in our favor. I feel like this needs to be shouted from the roofs.  If we get bucked for another team it won't be because of anything to do with our resume.  It'll be because the committee thinks another team is better than us enough that it overcomes all that.

This is where I get hung up.  "Texas has the best resume out of any 1-loss team."

I think most objective people think this.  But it doesn't matter what we think.  What matters is what the committee thinks.  And they clearly disagree.  And nothing will change in between now and Sunday in our favor.

I understand the rationale from Texas fans saying that we could/should go over a 1-loss Bama SEC champ, but you’d have to completely disregard the SEC bias of the last 10-15 years and there’s just no chance the committee does that.

There would be a lot of commentary on Texas getting a raw deal, but it wouldn’t change anything. There is no chance the SEC champ misses the playoffs this year. There’s a better chance that Georgia goes instead of Texas even if Georgia loses than Texas going over Bama if Bama wins. The SEC bias is the strongest influence in CFB.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pound Town said:

This is where I get hung up.  "Texas has the best resume out of any 1-loss team."

I think most objective people think this.  But it doesn't matter what we think.  What matters is what the committee thinks.  And they clearly disagree.  And nothing will change in between now and Sunday in our favor.

You're caught up in today's rankings. They simply it don't matter. The change will be if Bama beats Georgia. Georgia will drop less than Washington. Bama will rise above them both. So will Texas. 

The problem with saying Georgia will automatically drop out of the top 4 if they lose is that has never happened before. No #1 seed has dropped out of the top 4 on Selection Sunday.

The word precedent gets mentioned here a lot when it comes to 1 loss conference champ versus 1 loss non conference champ. Well there’s precedent of also not dropping the #1 seed out of the top 4 if they lose as well. 

With that said, there also hasn’t been this many teams battling for a spot this late in the season.

That committee is praying to whatever god they believe in that the easiest thing happens on Saturday for them because if it doesn’t, they will have a shit ton of questions to answer (and potential fanbase to answer to)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

I am curious to hear examples.

In 2020, Clemson jumped tOSU after both won their titles.

In 2017, Georgia jumped idle Alabama.

In 2016, Penn State jumped Oklahoma who won the B12 title and idle Michigan.

In 2015, Michigan State jumped idle Oklahoma

In 2014, Baylor and Ohio State jumped TCU after all 3 won.

• Hook 'Em 1

GIVEN that Bama beats Georgia in the SEC championship game

AND Bama is the SEC champion 

THEN  Texas the SEC champion by default

The logic checks out, I crunched the number..

Will the committee keep a Texas team that won the big 12 AND the SEC out of the playoffs?!!! 

Edited by Ashylarry
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ashylarry said:

GIVEN that Bama beats Georgia in the SEC championship game

AND Bama is the SEC champion 

THEN  Texas the SEC champion by default

The logic checks out, I crunched the number..

Will the committee keep a Texas team that won the big 12 AND the SEC out of the playoffs?!!! 

Absolutely they would. If Bama wins, both GA and Bama are in.

41 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

FSU shouldn’t get in their back up sucks. Will the committee take that into account or no?

People shouldn't say this. Change it to "Ewers has a shoulder injury, so 12-1 Big 12 Champ Texas shouldn't get in" and we'd be screaming bloody murder.

What a dumb fucking argument. If FSU is undefeated ACC Champ, shitty backup or not, they should go.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Good news guys!

I understand that in prior years the #1 team could lose their champ game and still make it. That is when maybe 5-6 teams have a shot going into the title weekend. This year having a 7th and theoretically 8th changes everything. No one should feel confident.

If Bama beats GA, Bama has a strong case that they should make it, but not in passing Texas. In fact, Bama would have a ridiculously strong argument for making it. Their only loss would be to a Top 4 or 5 Texas. I think GA needs to win to secure a spot. If they lose, then they need help just like every other 1 loss team.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Not a chance in hell the committee is leaving out Georgia in favor of a 1-loss Texas. They’re in no matter what at this point. 

It won’t matter because Bama won’t beat Georgia anyway.

Holy fuck what a shitty take. 

Committee criteria:

1. Conference Championship (Adv Texas, and Texas would own a road win over the SEC champ)

2. Head to head (Not applicable)

3. SOS (Adv Texas)

4. Common Opponents (Adv Texas, we would have beaten Bama on the road and UGA would have lost at a neutral site)

And before anyone tries to say best loss, that argument collapses on itself because their "best loss" is to a team we beat. 

Texas > Georgia

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Holy fuck what a shitty take. 

Committee criteria:

1. Conference Championship (Adv Texas, and Texas would own a road win over the SEC champ)

2. Head to head (Not applicable)

3. SOS (Adv Texas)

4. Common Opponents (Adv Texas, we would have beaten Bama on the road and UGA would have lost at a neutral site)

And before anyone tries to say best loss, that argument collapses on itself because their "best loss" is to a team we beat. 

Texas > Georgia

actual committee criteria: 

I Can Do What I Want Parks And Recreation GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]