America's Game: The 124th Meeting of Army and Navy...... Dec 9th 3pm ET CBS

LTtxfan

That army punter, might honestly be the worst punter in the entire Div 1. 

his longest only went 40 yards, and on almost every single one, it went off the side of his foot, and then, when it landed bounced immediately backwards 5-15 yards....

I mean how the fuck do you keep fucking up your only job and keep screwing up that bad. 

he averaged 28 yards a punt.

34 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so that they could kick it for the win if they had converted.  and it isn't like the ball didn't hit the receiver in the hip. 

Mack Brown? I understand the theory, but can’t recall an instance where that worked but almost always goes wrong. Especially with Navy’s shit offense, I wouldn’t put money on them getting it at least once out of two attempts. 

On 12/5/2023 at 9:50 AM, baboso said:

An USMA grad that retired as a Captain?  Full retirement, 20 years of duty?

Hey sorry I know this is from a few weeks ago.

No he didn't do the full 20 years. He retired from active duty after only about 6-7 years. I don't recall exactly how many years it was, but basically after he graduated from USMA he was in Europe for about 4 years... stationed in Schweinfurt, Germany,... after that he came back the U.S. and was at Ft. Leonardwood in Missouri for a few years and while he was there he fucked up his back in a training thing badly enough where it required surgery. (I don't recall the years exactly - this was all in the early 2000s)

Anyway - after the injury he had the option to retire from active duty at that point and so he decided to go ahead and do that.

(I don't recall exactly how many years of active duty is required when you graduate... I think it's 7 or 8... I think he basically shaved a year off due to the injury)

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Hey sorry I know this is from a few weeks ago.

No he didn't do the full 20 years. He retired from active duty after only about 6-7 years. I don't recall exactly how many years it was, but basically after he graduated from USMA he was in Europe for about 4 years... stationed in Schweinfurt, Germany,... after that he came back the U.S. and was at Ft. Leonardwood in Missouri for a few years and while he was there he fucked up his back in a training thing badly enough where it required surgery. (I don't recall the years exactly - this was all in the early 2000s)

Anyway - after the injury he had the option to retire from active duty at that point and so he decided to go ahead and do that.

(I don't recall exactly how many years of active duty is required when you graduate... I think it's 7 or 8... I think he basically shaved a year off due to the injury)

Ah, that makes sense.  Hope he made a full recovery on the back thing.  Just getting in the USMA is not a small thing and then he served.  Props to your bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great TV Ratings for 2023 Army/Navy Game

Plenty of Americans tuned in for Army’s awesome victory over Navy this past Saturday.

The Army/Navy game is one of the most prestigious events in all of sports, and it’s the only major college football game of the weekend following the conference title games.

Young men from the two service academies take the field, and for four quarters, are enemies before returning to being on the same side as members of the world’s greatest fighting force.

As people like to say, their football uniforms are only the second most important uniforms they’ll ever wear.

Well, the ratings are in for this year’s game, and it drew a lot of viewers. The game averaged 7.183 million viewers and peaked with nearly nine million viewers on CBS. It was also the most streamed Army/Navy game in the history of the rivalry.

Those numbers rival any other major college football you’ll see, outside of a game like Ohio State/Michigan.

Army/Navy game draws huge ratings.

I always say college football games drawing huge ratings is a win for America. It’s a sign that things in the country are going well, and regular people are still locked in on the world’s greatest sport.

That’s even more true when it comes to the Army/Navy game. The teams aren’t going to compete for national championships.

It’s just not going to happen. However, all those players have something much more important to represent. Every player on the field has signed up to make the ultimate sacrifice if necessary on behalf of America.

Even though the game has no impact on the CFP race, it’s an opportunity for Americans to come together and have a simple reminder of what makes the USA so great.

In this country, we play football games and have a dominant military. In fact, our military is so dominant that we have three service academies with D1 programs. If that doesn’t put a smile on your face, I don’t know what will.

image.png.ba8dacad78851f43d35eaa2c6437837e.png

The Army/Navy game this year was one hell of a thriller down to the wire, and plenty of Americans tuned in. We’ll count that as a win for the good guys.

• Like 1

Not sure Navy Head Coach Newberry keeps his job more than 1-2 more years either. 

Consequences of losing to Army

Navy fires offensive coordinator

Midshipmen fire Grant Chesnut after just one season

JOHN BRICE    17 HOURS AGO

Long the model of stability, Navy last season parted with affable longtime head coach Ken Niumatalolo.  Now after a disappointing 5-7 first year under new coach Brian Newberry, the Midshipmen are making a drastic offensive change.

Navy has fired offensive coordinator Grant Chesnut after just one at the helm of the Navy offense.

Chesnut had been a longtime colleague of Newberry, with the two together for several seasons at Kennesaw State.

Newberry then hired Chesnut to run the Midshipmen offense once Newberry was tabbed after last season as Niumatalolo's replacement. 

Chesnut is the second Navy staff departure this week; NCAA Division II program Carson-Newman earlier this week hired Ashley Ingram as its head coach.

Ingram had been the assistant head coach and Navy's offensive line coach this past season; he had served on staff at the Naval Academy for some 16 years.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, baboso said:

Ah, that makes sense.  Hope he made a full recovery on the back thing.  Just getting in the USMA is not a small thing and then he served.  Props to your bro.

Thanks! Yeah he’s fully recovered. 

And yeah it was pretty wild having him on active duty in Europe during and after 9/11 and Afghanistan/Iraq, etc. As luck would have it, because he decided to go overseas for his first deployment and was forward-deployed in Kosovo for a time, he had rotated back to the U.S. and was at Leonardwood basically right when the second Gulf War started.  Then his back thing happened shortly after that and so he never had to go, but most of his USMA buddies who didn’t do an over-seas deployment did go and, sadly, his best friend from USMA was killed in Falluja. It was wild because it made national news because of what happened (basically some ISIS dudes disguised themselves as Iraqi military, got access to a U.S. base and just grabbed the first few guys they saw and my brother’s buddy just happened to be one of them. So sad.)

One interesting thing he did state-side was joined the Army Corp of Engineers down in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina/Rita. (He’s a civil engineer). He was there for several months working on re-buidling the levees. The photos he has from his time there are pretty incredible. I remember he sent photos from some kind of command center he was in when Rita hit after Katrina…. They were sitting there watching live video of the levees they had just repaired get breached again. Crazy.