America's Game: The 124th Meeting of Army and Navy...... Dec 9th 3pm ET CBS

LTtxfan

2023 Army vs. Navy Game: Midshipmen unveil 'Silent Service' uniforms for 124th meeting with Black Knights

image.png.d4a62dd34db30864659e14ddce135fc2.png

Navy has unveiled its custom uniforms for the annual game with Army as the rival service academies get set to meet for the 124th time. Monday, the Midshipmen revealed submarine-themed uniforms honoring the "Silent Service" which are set to be worn during the annual clash with the Black Knights. 

Every element of the uniform, from the helmets right down to the gloves, references submarine warfare in some form or fashion. For example, the helmets are painted with a Virginia Class submarine underwater on one side, while the other features Navy's anchor logo with an integrated submariner pin. That's one aspect of a look that is sure to get plenty of folks' attention on game day. 

With Navy officially unveiling its custom look for the rivalry showdown, it appears Army won't be far behind. On Sunday, the Black Knights dropped a  social media video  that teased the imminent reveal of their threads.

The 124th meeting of Army vs. Navy takes place on Saturday, Dec. 9 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, at 3 p.m. ET on CBS. The Black Knights will have the chance to win the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy outright after previously upsetting Air Force on the road. Navy, with a win, can only clinch a share after losing to Air Force at home. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/2023-army-vs-navy-game-midshipmen-unveil-silent-service-uniforms-for-124th-meeting-with-black-knights/ar-AA1kfoCA

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• LTtxfan changed the title to America's Game: The 124th Meeting of Army and Navy...... Dec 9th 3pm ET CBS

Honoring the 3rd ID.  That first line of the song though..."I settled for the Army, because I couldn't be a Marine!" 

Wow.  Nice ownership of the pecking order.

Edited by slorch

The 3rd Infantry Division is Also Known as “The Rock of the Marne”

After being activated for World War I the 3rd Infantry Division, which was known as the “3rd Division” at the time, found itself on the Marne River in France, fighting the Germans. The battle was anything but easy, but they persevered. The division’s soldiers set up a defensive position along the Marne River, which helped them beat German offensives. The nickname is an allusion to their resiliency.

Its Motto is a Nod to the Division’s Victory on the Marne River

Not long after that initial victory, the division endured the Second Battle of the Marne. As French troops fell back, the division hurried in to hold the line. Then-commander Maj. Gen. Joseph Dickman shouted (in French so their allies could understand) “Nous resterons la!” Translated to English, this means “We’re staying there!” The French declaration is now the motto of the 3rd Infantry Division.

As a 20+ year Navy vet who did not attend Canoe U, I can't fathom giving a shit one way or the other who wins this game.  

It's a great tradition and great theater right up to the moment the game starts.  

It is such shitty football, though.

One of my good friends from my second tour was a backup QB for Navy and the holder for this famous missed kick.  He does NOT like to be asked about it.  It seriously jeopardized our friendship when I jokingly said "LACES OUT!" to him one day.  We're still in touch more than 25 years later, so he eventually forgave me...  I think.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

As a 20+ year Navy vet who did not attend Canoe U, I can't fathom giving a shit one way or the other who wins this game.  

I

That's how a feel about Michigan- Ohio State.  Buncha rust belt fuckers who put cinnamon in chili and sauce on the top of pizza.  i don't give a fuck either way who wins.  But I'll still watch it because it beats the fuck outta the offseason.

Only army/navy connection: My oldest uncle was literally in one of the last groups of people to be drafted to go fight in Vietnam. We pulled out and he ended up guarding some bridge in West Germany. He said they were told they were there mainly as a show of force and that if the communists ever actually did come over there was no backup coming and nowhere to retreat to, so good luck. 

so Go Army I guess? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Army set to wear uniforms honoring 3rd Infantry Division of Operation Iraqi Freedom

While Navy will be wearing uniforms inspired by submarines for America's game, Army will be channeling desert missions in Iraq with theirs.

Aimed at telling the story of the soldiers from the 3rd infantry division, the jerseys are a tan to honor the desert which corresponds to the camo patterns and vehicle paint schemes from Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Here's some additional history behind the threads for the history buffs.

On the sides of the helmet is Rocky the Bulldog, the famous mascot of the 3rd Infantry Division. 

The logo was actually created by Walt Disney himself in 1965 and the 3rd Infantry gained the right to display Rocky via an exchange of letters between Disney Productions and the Division commander at the time. The logo is often referred to as the "Dogface Soldier," which also correlates to a song that 3rd Infantry Division soldiers continue to sing in formation to this day.  

The uniforms have a ton of other cool uniform features that have stories behind them as well, as Army lays out in their  official release. 

Check these out.

image.png.13b99427018145c17bc27129c4b9bf17.png

image.png.99a0edb5e06b5dbc3b447f9faf5636aa.png

image.png.409590e3ddae2cc4192ca80bae33c8c1.png

image.png.ab16e68f3718841c18325519de03c69d.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/army-set-to-wear-uniforms-honoring-3rd-infantry-division-of-operation-iraqi-freedom

• Hook 'Em 4

On 11/21/2023 at 8:51 AM, mdmost said:

Navy may not win the game but they won this round of the uniform battle. Go Navy! Beat Army!

On 11/21/2023 at 9:37 AM, TheBryMan81 said:

Go Navy!! Beat Army!!

On 11/21/2023 at 10:01 AM, TrashMaster G said:

Go Navy! Beat Army!

On 11/28/2023 at 9:23 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Go Navy! Beat Army!

11 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Go Navy, Beat Army!

This is the way!  Go Navy!

• Hook 'Em 6

Screenshot_20231130-103710_kindlephoto-12215514.png.ab612449b1fd43d44a96c53cbd8f9f0b.png

FOXBORO - The stage is set for the Army-Navy game at Gillette Stadium on December 9. The teams are counting down to their 124th meeting on the football field.

"The scene, the energy, the pageantry. Just the pride that you have being a part of the game there's nothing like it," said Navy head coach Brian Newberry.

"We say beat Navy every day, so we got to go out and do it," said Army linebacker and team captain Leo Lowin.

It's the first time the game is being played in Foxboro, and New England for that matter. On Wednesday morning, captains and coaches for Army and Navy were welcomed to the region by Massachusetts Governor Maura Healey and Jonathan Kraft, president of the Kraft Group.

"Today is a celebration of all patriots, including acknowledging some folks that may root against sometimes the people that play here," Healey said.

image.png.e6ba925b37a754b1c2454c8538917011.png

Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey with captains of the Army and Navy football teams at Gillette Stadium 

"I can tell you that the ticket demand for this game is greater than any AFC Championship game that we've hosted here, greater than Taylor Swift," Kraft said.

Governor Healey presented each captain with a replica Paul Revere Sons of Liberty Bowl. Both academies did some recon inside Gillette ahead of their showdown, having arrived by helicopter.

"It's an atmosphere that in my experience over the past couple years, I don't think anything really matches it," said Army captain Jimmy Ciarlo.

"I remember getting phone calls from people deployed and watching the game at 2 o'clock in the morning their time," said Navy captain Xavier Arline. "Everyone watches this game, there's a lot of weight on it."

It's a moment the Midshipmen and the Black Knights have been preparing for all year.

"It's going to be surreal," said Navy captain Jacob Busic. "I remember the last two like it was yesterday. It's a breathtaking experience."

"The 22 guys that are running around out there playing on every play in the Army-Navy game, they're willing to put their lives on the line for the nine million people that are watching on TV and the 70,000 people that are watching in the stands," Army head coach Jeff Monken said. "That's a pretty incredible commitment, so I think it makes it a pretty special game."   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/20/2023 at 7:36 PM, slorch said:

Fuck that.  let the hate...and insults flow.

I love hearing people's connections to both teams.

GO ARMY!

Both my Dad and brother are Army vets. Dad was infantry in 'Nam (in the shit).  My brother went to West Point and retired as an Army Captain.  (Retired from the Army, that is. He's currently a VP at a regional construction company.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 9:12 AM, slorch said:

The 3rd Infantry Division is Also Known as “The Rock of the Marne”

After being activated for World War I the 3rd Infantry Division, which was known as the “3rd Division” at the time, found itself on the Marne River in France, fighting the Germans. The battle was anything but easy, but they persevered. The division’s soldiers set up a defensive position along the Marne River, which helped them beat German offensives. The nickname is an allusion to their resiliency.

Its Motto is a Nod to the Division’s Victory on the Marne River

Not long after that initial victory, the division endured the Second Battle of the Marne. As French troops fell back, the division hurried in to hold the line. Then-commander Maj. Gen. Joseph Dickman shouted (in French so their allies could understand) “Nous resterons la!” Translated to English, this means “We’re staying there!” The French declaration is now the motto of the 3rd Infantry Division.

You sure? The Marines always act like they beat the German Army all by themselves on the Marne.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

You sure? The Marines always act like they beat the German Army all by themselves on the Marne.

Belleau Wood tends to be the Marine battle of renown from WWI.  This is supposedly the battle from which the term "Devil Dogs " was borne, among other famous battle cries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood

Go Navy!

For Uncle Art Berndtson, who on the night of December 8, 1941, stood on the bow of the USS Enterprise with a lantern to signal the wheelhouse when he spotted a buoy as the carrier navigated into Pearl Harbor. No one knew until after he died that he commanded a torpedo boat squadron in which JFK served and had won a Silver Star "operating against enemy Japanese forces during the New Georgia Campaign in the Solomon Islands area in 1943…".  He loved to duck hunt and would come down to Port O'Connor with us every year until he physically couldn't anymore. He would snore so loud he'd rattle the picture frames on the wall of the rooms adjacent to his at the Port Motel. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/30/2023 at 11:50 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

GO ARMY!

Both my Dad and brother are Army vets. Dad was infantry in 'Nam (in the shit).  My brother went to West Point and retired as an Army Captain.  (Retired from the Army, that is. He's currently a VP at a regional construction company.)

An USMA grad that retired as a Captain?  Full retirement, 20 years of duty?

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Total is 28

Don't post that shit here & tempt me!

Last year the number was 32, and I thought it was an absolute lock. I was right, big right, huge right on that one; until Navy ties the game 10-10 with 1.53 left by hitting a FG, and then they both score a TD in the first OT and I lost. No such thing as a lock.

Hello my name is Wally and I have a gambol problem

“You talk to alumni and they know how many times they beat Navy when they were here,” said Army cocaptain Leo Lowin. “They know who was playing. They know all about it.”

Shoot I know Army's record when my son was there. 1 and fucking 3.   The victory however was his Firsty( Senior) year and ended the Black Knights' 14 game losing streak.  Not sure he will ever forget that day, celebrating with his buddies.

I say it every year, so here it is again-  if you ever have the chance to attend this game, make it happen.  There is nothing else like it.

Go Army!  Beat Navy!!!

Edited by slorch