UT vs LSU - Halal Guys Showcase (Toyota Center) @ 11am ESPN2

Macklemore

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Glad that we look like we are going to win this but giving up 80 to this LSU team is concerning 

It's concerning but not all that surprising. 

Cook is a legit scorer. It's why I was worried about playing this LSU team. They're a completely different team with Cook as a scorer/playmaker. Not good but much better than the stats/record indicate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Glad that we look like we are going to win this but giving up 80 to this LSU team is concerning 

We need to be smarter with our tempo. It looked great in the first half when everything was falling but we should have dialed it back once it was obvious things weren’t going the same way.

LSU also shot a billion second half free throws.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This was a blowout if they simply didn't play Horton. 

I bet he was like -10 or worse in this one. It would have been a 25+ point win if they just kept him on the bench. 

He didn't suddenly become a terrible defender.  Makes you question the staff's scouting ability   

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How is this an ugly win? 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

We’ve won one game by less than double digits.

Fine. Half of this game was ugly so I’m picking nits.

But we’ve seen some rough stretches of basketball on both offense and defense. A double digit win isn’t much to complain about but the teams we’ve beaten aren’t great.

This was a very nice game from Weaver and Disu getting back in the flow is huge.

Big 12 play is gonna be a lot tougher though.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, LonghornSean said:

Fine. Half of this game was ugly so I’m picking nits.

But we’ve seen some rough stretches of basketball on both offense and defense. A double digit win isn’t much to complain about but the teams we’ve beaten aren’t great.

This was a very nice game from Weaver and Disu getting back in the flow is huge.

Big 12 play is gonna be a lot tougher though.

I have to remind myself of this every game, but the college basketball product as a whole isn’t pretty. 98% of teams are going to have bad stretches throughout a 40 minute game.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He didn't suddenly become a terrible defender.  Makes you question the staff's scouting ability   

I don't think it's bad scouting. 

Horton can shoot. He's fine playing limited minutes off the bench as a shooter/scorer. He just doesn't need to be playing big minutes. Needs to play like 10 minutes a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This game should highlight what needs to happen moving forward. 

1) Disu +16 and Shedrick -1. Shedrick is a good player but reality is Disu is the much better player. 

2) Horton -5 and Weaver +5. 

Maximizing the roster means playing your best players more minutes. Less Horton and less Shedrick with Disu back. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He played 13 minutes  

Yeah and he should be playing fewer than that. 

Also we should never be running 3 guard lineups like we did in the 2nd half with Horton, Abmas, and Hunter. Ambas is a below average defender and Horton is a terrible defender. That combo is asking for defensive issues just like the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah and he should be playing fewer than that. 

Also we should never be running 3 guard lineups like we did in the 2nd half with Horton, Abmas, and Hunter. Ambas is a below average defender and Horton is a terrible defender. That combo is asking for defensive issues just like the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. 

A grad transfer that you can't afford to play more than 10 minutes is a bad take.   

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The problem is who we play Horton alongside of. We cant have him, Abmas, and Hunter on the court at the same time. That just makes your backcourt absolutely atrocious defensively. Hunter isn't a bad defender, but often times when playing alongside Abmas and Horton he's guarding the biggest wing and that diminishes his defensive strengths. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

A grad transfer that you can't afford to play more than 10 minutes is a bad take.   

I don't think it's a bad take. 

You added Abmas as a scorer, you added Weaver as the defender/rebounder, you added Horton as a 3 point shooter. It's not a bad take as much as it's bad roster management so far. Stop playing the two bad defensive guards together and utilize Weaver. 

A guy that can hit a couple 3s off the bench still has plenty of value if utilized correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Yeah, I saw his stats seemed fine for a college starter. He just seemed like the same guy today, lost and a step behind, so I was a little confused. I just assume he got his stats this year beating up on early non-conference games.

Oh he definitely did, but his early foul trouble really exacerbated things for him. Honestly we should've been a team he matched up well against. We're not overly athletic in the frontcourt outside of Mitchel, so he shouldve been able to stay on the court. He's a player who needs tremendous guard play to bring out the best him, something LSU has none of.